• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi CG List ""FRAME DATA INFO CHANGED A FEW THINGS"" (Updated on 9/29/09)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
he can, as well as most of the people on that list! LOL!!

if yoshi really had an infinite on wario
if yoshi could really spike snake out of grab release
if yoshi could literally chain-grab all of his bad match-ups,
don't you think that some of the better players would have picked up on this and started maining yoshi?
Well, he has seen an increase in tournament play lately, so... yes.

it's not because "they haven't realized yoshi's potential" it's because they know yoshi can't chaingrab all the characters on that list.
Or... um... because they want to use other characters?

Mmac, i'm not trying to berate you or offend you in any way, i'm doing this because if we realize what yoshi does have then we can focus on and expand it, instead of wasting time trying to prove something thats wrong. I can't think of any tournaments that you have been to irl, and i hear you play on wifi a lot, but maybe thats why you are convinced that yoshi can chaingrab these characters.
I don't want to go ad hom here, but I'm going to have to. Isn't this a long, drawn-out, overly complicated way of saying that YOU can't chaingrab these characters, and need help with it?

Yoshi's CGs have been tested to exhaustion, and are completely, 100% CONFIRMED. This isn't speculation, this is an actual technique that has been used since its discovery to great effect in competitive environments. If people are escaping you, you're either doing it wrong, or your timing is off.

I'm pretty consistent in going to tournaments both here in houston and out of state and i know that i could never win a match by chaingrabbing a snake because it's impossible, i've tried this on half the roster with professional players around the country and they figure out pretty fast theres ways out of it.
This is actually true. You CAN'T win a tournament just be chaingrabbing alone. If you could, Ice Climbers and DeDeDe would be the undisputed tournament champions.

But to say that it's not a viable and INCREDIBLY important strategy is just ludicrous.

I've even talked to other yoshi players about this and they agree with me that it can't be done (not going to call names) but looking at their results it's these players that typically have the most consistent yoshi results, this is because they are aware of yoshi's strengths and weaknesses, and know what he can and can't do.
First of all, this is what is known as "anecdotal evidence," and is therefore automatically void.

Second, even if it WERE a viable argument to say "I know some guys that say this is true," (and it's not) it's incredibly suspicious that you can't be bothered to list who they are. If they were worth ANYTHING on the competitive scene, we'd probably have heard something from them by now. Your friends might be really cool at your local tournaments, don't get me, wrong, but they're clearly not in a position to decide the character's metagame.

I know that you're going out on a limb and wanting to play the role of the "realist," and I respect that. But this has been tested by SEVERAL tournament-level players under RIDICULOUS amounts of situations and conditions, and it is as confirmed as Meta Knight's IDC or Snake's Mortar Slide. You were the one that messed up, not Mmac.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ Mmac and Lil'B: Yes, Falco CAN escape with a spotdodge. Both of you have said that. Just to be sure, I tested it earlier today and, guess what? He can escape. And do me a favor and don't say "You're doing it wrong".

@ Furbs: The Wario infinite is doable, and the Wario mains know it. All the other things you listed are things I have been skeptical about for some time, and I've said so. BTW welcome to the pessimist side :p

@ Sir Orion: What tournament level players has this been tested by? Lil'B is the only tournament-level Yoshi I know of that agrees with the entire list. Several other prominent Yoshi mains (Bwett, Stocky, Shiri...) have voiced their doubts on several points since this thread was made.

Mmac

Smash Lord
YOUR DOING IT WRONG!

But seriously, if you do it fast enough, you can grab him before he can activate a SpotDodoge

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Kiwi he can not spot dodge if you do it right also Yoster I thought I proved to you that the CG works on Falco at C3 also ask OffTheChain I played him at Cyberden and CGed him the whole set.

D

Deleted member

Furbs, yoshi can indeed infinate wario(i just mastered it, but i gotta resist doin it in friendlies, it pisses people off =P). Many of these are doable if you buffer a dash(which i fail at). Some of these im skeptical about.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yep, you have to buffer dash....that is Lil'B's sermon. XD

Bwett

Smash Ace
@ Sir Orion: What tournament level players has this been tested by? Lil'B is the only tournament-level Yoshi I know of that agrees with the entire list. Several other prominent Yoshi mains (Bwett, Stocky, Shiri...) have voiced their doubts on several points since this thread was made.
I agree with Kiwi and Furbs. There are ALOT of things that have been said on the Yoshi boards that I personally don't agree with when talking about CGing, spiking out of grabs, along with other things.

Not to offend you, Mmac, but I really don't like how you deem certain things inescapable (which you tend to do quite a bit). I've been saying that MK spike is escapable since the beginning, as well as other things.

We need to take a step back and really focus on what can and cannot be done. I have tried many times against DDD and I don't think he can be CG'ed. Sure, I haven't gone in 1/4th time and tried it, but I believe my timing to be pretty good and if I haven't even come close to getting it, then how are yall getting it, unless the DDD isn't DI'ing away and jumping. Same with Falco and spotdodging.

We can't be so disillusioned by the "grandeur of Yoshi" as to ignore his weaknesses and what he can't do.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I agree with Kiwi and Furbs. There are ALOT of things that have been said on the Yoshi boards that I personally don't agree with when talking about CGing, spiking out of grabs, along with other things.

Not to offend you, Mmac, but I really don't like how you deem certain things inescapable (which you tend to do quite a bit). I've been saying that MK spike is escapable since the beginning, as well as other things.

We need to take a step back and really focus on what can and cannot be done. I have tried many times against DDD and I don't think he can be CG'ed. Sure, I haven't gone in 1/4th time and tried it, but I believe my timing to be pretty good and if I haven't even come close to getting it, then how are yall getting it, unless the DDD isn't DI'ing away and jumping. Same with Falco and spotdodging.

We can't be so disillusioned by the "grandeur of Yoshi" as to ignore his weaknesses and what he can't do.
I CG'd 3D once....but I had to buffer my dashes. And, the spikes I've never really tested, I've only used the MK one....so I can't be apart of this.

*stands on the side lines*

And guys, let's keep the Yoshi civil war from happening, like it is starting. V_V

bigman40

Smash Master
How about we start this list with the characters we KNOW that CANNOT get out of it? We were fine there until we started getting into some of the harder CGs.

Mmac

Smash Lord
How about we start this list with the characters we KNOW that CANNOT get out of it? We were fine there until we started getting into some of the harder CGs.
Everyone one the "Easy section" work, except maybe Falco

On the Medium section, I have done it to Wario, DK, and Charizard numerous. Link I haven't done it recently, but only due to lack of Link battles.

On the hard section, I have done ZSS's CG multiple times recently, in battle and for proof.

So the Questionable ones are Falco, Ike (Ike is surprisingly hard), Link, Dedede, and Snake (Wolf I believe is not CG'able)

Although I do swear that you can grab Falco before he can do a dodge move to avoid it. Although Bwett might be right in the sense that Dedede is probably too impractical to do. He's easily the hardest (Unless Wolf REALLY can be CG'ed) and is really not worth the effort unless you have god-like reactions

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The thing about King Dedede is not so much the difficulty of the CG...

...but, rather, the fact that if you mess up (which will happen more often than not, unfortunately), you will get grabbed back. Even if the grab you receive doesn't result in a CG, we're still talking damage and knockback that you're taking that most assuredly isn't worth the risk.

I would stick to distance throws against King Dedede or grab releases at the edge. Maybe even running behind him and pivoting, but relying on a CG that's too hard to do and too risky to mess up seems very...not good to me.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I have been doing the CG since the list came out and it took me about 2 weeks (not playing everyday though) of trying to perfect buffering dashes to CG D3 but, once you get it down all the people on the list except maybe Wolf works.

Just Practice!!!!!!!

I think I have to re-test Wolf though.

Yep, you have to buffer dash....that is Lil'B's sermon. XD
True =)

Mmac

Smash Lord
Wolf I believe is the only one on that list that I don't think it's possible to do.

I haven't been able to do it once. And I spent a good 40 Minutes trying to do it on that CG Video a few months ago

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Wolf I believe is the only one on that list that I don't think it's possible to do.

I haven't been able to do it once. And I spent a good 40 Minutes trying to do it on that CG Video a few months ago
i need one more person to tell me to take it off then I will

I like confirmation even though Me and Mmac are pro CGers so we don't really need it.

peeup

Smash Lord
Which characters can you fair meteor smash out of a grab release? I know you can own squirtle that way, but who (if anyone) else?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Which characters can you fair meteor smash out of a grab release? I know you can own squirtle that way, but who (if anyone) else?
MetaKnight, Falco, Ganondorf, Squirlte, Wolf, Fox, and Sheik

MetaKnight is rather hard to do though. *Sigh* I would be so happy if I could do it rather easily

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Meta's not TOO hard to do, you just have to be a little more precise and a LOT more careful, hehe.

peeup

Smash Lord
Considering the fair meteor grab release thing kinda has to do with the CG, shouldn't info on it be in the OP? CG to grabrelease-meteor is a pwnage combo that deserves recognition.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Considering the fair meteor grab release thing kinda has to do with the CG, shouldn't info on it be in the OP? CG to grabrelease-meteor is a pwnage combo that deserves recognition.
I actually agree with this completely. I think that this topic should be combined with the grab-release thread to save space and focus conversation, since they're very closely related. Perhaps we could c/p the grab-release topic's first post onto the end of this one.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Well, that's really stupid.

Come on, Mmac. Is it too efficient? Does it make to much sense? Does it focus the discussion too much? Does it make reference too easy? What possible reason could you have for not wanting that to be posted here? I'm sure proper credit will always be given where it's deserved.

I mean, if someone wanted to use my Egg Toss Tap Jump discoveries on their topic, I'd have no problem with it whatsoever (actually, I'd prefer it).

peeup

Smash Lord
My apologies for bringing this up--I didn't know it was a touchy subject, and I thought it would be nice info to have.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
For the record, this is the first time I've brought it up. It would be a lot easier to know that a subject shouldn't be broached if you explained why it's taboo.

Sharky

Smash Master
I've been wondering, would a DR/DT'd F-smash be fast enough to hit with after a grab release with anyone? I know it's a bit slower than the u-smash, and my grip on DR isn't quite up to par to properly test this, so could someone check this out? It'd give us some much faster kills from the side of the stage, if it works. =D

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I've been wondering, would a DR/DT'd F-smash be fast enough to hit with after a grab release with anyone? I know it's a bit slower than the u-smash, and my grip on DR isn't quite up to par to properly test this, so could someone check this out? It'd give us some much faster kills from the side of the stage, if it works. =D
Maybe MK but its very unnecessary on the release simply because you can UpSmash or Uair.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Sub did this to me once I believe.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'd like to give this a try, although it might be a little hard for me, since I'd have to change my hand positioning to accomodate it. Perhaps if I pummeled with the A button, I could get it to work. Nice idea!

Top Bottom