• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
When I first heard that Sakurai would be dropping characters in Brawl by stating that "not all characters from Melee will return", I really started to worry about the fates of such characters as Ness, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and other obscure characters.

My predictions for returning combatants:

Luigi (95%) - The only reason he isn't 100% is because he hasn't been revealed yet lol. I think it's pretty safe to assume he'll be there, probably with a reworked fighting style to further differentiate him from his brother. I also think he'll be a secret character again... and may play a surprising role in the Subspace Emissary...

Captain Falcon
(85%) - Although he could be considered obscure in that he never really leaves the cockpit in his own game series, and not necessarily being from the most popular of Nintendo's franchises, he has appeared in both the original Smash Bros and its sequel. On top of that, his rival Samurai Goroh (Though unfortunately not playable), has been confirmed to be in the game.

Ganondorf (80%) - His presence in Melee was well deserved, but strangely as a clone of Captain Falcon. Most people believe that the villain will return in Brawl with an all-new moveset and his appearance taken from Twilight Princess, as with Link and Zelda. If he's not revealed as a veteran before the game's release, I'd expect him to be an unlockable character.

Shiek (70%) - Although we already have Zelda confirmed, we have yet to see her alter ego. It's possible she may have been dropped due to the character's appearance being taken from Twilight Princess (Where Shiek had no role). However, Zelda's fighting style looks unchanged from Melee, so it's possible she may still have this transformation... and there's always those rumors...

Jigglypuff (65%) - Notable for being a popular character in Japan (And to a lesser extent, in the US as well). Jiggly was probably the first unlockable character most players would discover when playing through the games. That may be true once again just for old time's sake, but Jigglypuff's popularity has seemingly dropped since the revelation of new pokemon such as Lucario, Blaziken, and ugh... Gardevoir.

Falco (65%) - The Starfox series hasn't really been able to hang up there with Mario, Zelda, and Metroid lately, but to the Starfox fanbase, Falco remains a popular character and fan-favourite. Although a clone of Fox, he remains a requested character to return, though I believe he may be replaced by Krystal.

Marth (60%) - Marth has not been featured in a Fire Emblem game in years, and is notable for being the primary protagonist of the very first game. Since Ike's unveiling, I believe Marth's chances of being in are slimmer than before. And if by chance, another Fire Emblem character from the most recent games makes the cut, I'm sure he's gotten the axe.

Young Link (60%) - Although a fairly popular character from Melee, (And even stated to be the "True Link" in his trphy description), his chances are looking slim... at least in his previous incarnation. There's rumors abound about Cel-Shaded Link filling in for this clone, but I still think this is unlikely.

Mewtwo (55%) - Even three generations of pokemon later, Mewtwo is still one of the only Pokemon to be considered a villain (Deoxys is out of the picture). Unfortunately, Pokemon isn't generally known for evil villains, and Sakurai might deem Mewtwo inadequate for that reason, as well as the fact that he isn't nearly as popular anymore as he used to be. It doesn't help that he was considered one of the weakest characters in Melee (A contrast to his stance in the pokemon games and anime). Many tend to think that he might be replaced by Lucario, though it isn't impossible for them to coexist. Plus, most legendary Pokemon have receieved some sort of acknowledgment in Smash, and I think Mewtwo would too. It's even more unlikely he'll be a pokeball than get the boot.

Ness (50%) - Poor Ness. He was originally planned to be the only character in Melee to get the cut and be replaced by Lucas. This didn't happen since Mother 3 hadn't been released yet, and Ness barely made it. This time though, Lucas is here, and no word of Ness other than the possibility of him "surpassing Ness". Although I think he may be in there, possibly as an unlockable to throw off fans, to fight alongside Lucas... unless another Mother 3 character makes it in.

Mr. Game & Watch (50%) - The rumors of him being cut along with Ice Climbers were proven false (The ICe Climbers are confirmed)... but nothing has been said about G&W. He was definitely one of the most unique characters from Melee.

Roy (30%) - Roy was the protagonist of the Gameboy Advance Fire Emblem, and has not appeared in any recent game (To my knowledge). He might get the cut for very much the same reason as Marth... But doesn't have any real reason to return other than to be another veteran.

Pichu (25%) - Really only a joke character form Melee. Was Pikachu but lighter and did damage to itself... I don't see it returning unless to provide the same role.

Phew...
Firsts posts are always a doozy
You forgot the most worried to return. Dr. Mario, people say he has such a low chance cause he is a 3rd Mario clone! But he should return... But if not than whatever I guess. He is my Best Character, but I have Sonic now!

Chepe

Smash Lord
People have to get some things straight...

Mewtwo has priority over Jigglypuff, PERIOD. Let this fact sink into your heads already, its bugging me that Mewtwo's low tier is the only reason anyone has anything against him returning. Mewtwo has a title and position in the series unlike Jiggs who was a fad of Pokemon. So Mewtwo needs to be shown a bit more respect...

Mr. Game & Watch is implied by the world icon placements, but I think everyone knew that. Expect him to return. Sakurai likes the oddball characters, "asking for only popular characters to get in Smash... doesnt get me excited." - courtesy of SamuraiPanda

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.

Mewtwo has priority over Jigglypuff, PERIOD. Let this fact sink into your heads already, its bugging me that Mewtwo's low tier is the only reason anyone has anything against him returning. Mewtwo has a title and position in the series unlike Jiggs who was a fad of Pokemon. So Mewtwo needs to be shown a bit more respect...
Umm, well no. Lol. Sorry, but your wrong. Jigglypuff has way more priority because he/she/it has been in since the N64. Title in the show? Jiggly was a big character, the pokemon that followed Ash, Misty and Brock and put them to sleep and all that jazz. Super Smash Bros came out around that time and thats why he/she/it was put into the game. Also, Mewtwo is awesome and shout be put in, I agree, but Jigg has more of a chance.
Btw, there is no 'fact' until it comes out. PERIOD.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Umm, well no. Lol. Sorry, but your wrong. Jigglypuff has way more priority because he/she/it has been in since the N64. Title in the show? Jiggly was a big character, the pokemon that followed Ash, Misty and Brock and put them to sleep and all that jazz. Super Smash Bros came out around that time and thats why he/she/it was put into the game. Also, Mewtwo is awesome and shout be put in, I agree, but Jigg has more of a chance.
Btw, there is no 'fact' until it comes out. PERIOD.
Just because she has been there since the N64 doesnt mean she is perfectly safe (just look at Ness, almost chopped from MELEE and now we dunno his status). Honestly, I believe she will be back, but Mewtwo is safer than her, yessir. And no, not title in the show, title in the SERIES. As in, the games too. "Most powerful Pokemon" and all that. Jigglypuff does not enjoy such a role or title, and it has not been seen in the anime for a great while now, meanwhile Brawl is coming out. Its just not as popular as it once was, so if she is gone, I will be sad but I will understand why Sakurai decided not to bring her back...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here are my guesses:

Luigi - I see the guy as all but confirmed. It wouldn't seem right if he wasn't in.

Capt. Falcon - See Luigi.

Jigglypuff - Her status is debateable. The things she has for returning are popularity, being one of the original twelve, and she was one of the best characters in Melee.

Ness - To be honest, I don't seem him returning. I think the "surpassing" meant that Lucas has succeeded him. On the bright side, this gives Claus, Duster, and Kumatora better chances of being playable.

Marth - I can't see why the guy can't return. I think he'll be an unlockable considering his status. He was the original Fire Lord and it makes sense to make the original unlockable.

Roy - Uh..... I don't know what to say other than he's out.

Dr. Mario - nuff' said.

Pichu - see above

Falco - I see him returning as well. His moveset could always be Assault derived.

Young Link - I see him being "reborned" as Wind Waker Link. There's enough differences between this Link and the SSB Adult Link to be two different characters with different movesets.

Ganondorf - This guy not getting back in would be a crime.

Mr. Game and Watch - Assuming the icon theory is true, he's all but confirmed.

Mewtwo - This guy has better chances than Jigglypuff considering his status in the Pokemon world.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't see why the hell everyone thinks that Lucas is going to replace Ness! That just doesn't make sense. Ness is way more popular than Lucas and is pretty much the main hero of Earthbound. Lucas was in one friggin' game! >:0
So was Ness. Lucas is the main hero of MOTHER 3. Ness is only more popular than Lucas because he's been around 12 years longer.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord

The more power to ya!

Chepe

Smash Lord
Ness almost chopped from Melee? Wtf are you talkin' aboot?
Yes, its true. The official Melee site is in Japanese, but anyone who can translate Ness' page can tell you that Sakurai says something along the lines of, "to tell you the truth we were going to have Ness replaced by the protagonist of Mother 3. But since the game got put on hold it wasnt possible."

So Ness is still in danger now, and to say Jiggs is 100% safe is foolish. Of course Im not doubting her return but people need to respect Mewtwo and never put his chances under Jiggs...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
is falcon the only guy like completely unmentioned..? oh wait.. i guess samurai goroh being an AT means there shud be an F-zero char
The fact that Samurai Goroh is an AT doesn't mean anything.

The fact that Samurai Goroh bares the symbol of his franchise, unlike other AT's, does hint at an F-Zero character though.

RDK

Smash Hero
goroh being an AT means there shud be an F-zero char
According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, and Sakurai in general, nothing is guaranteed.

Anything can happen. Maybe Falcon won't even come back (God help us).

So Ness is still in danger now, and to say Jiggs is 100% safe is foolish. Of course Im not doubting her return but people need to respect Mewtwo and never put his chances under Jiggs...
Why are you so sure that Mewtwo has a better chance than Jiggs? As far as I can tell, there's no supporting evidence to imply that Mewtwo will come back and Jiggs won't.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Why are you so sure that Mewtwo has a better chance than Jiggs? As far as I can tell, there's no supporting evidence to imply that Mewtwo will come back and Jiggs won't.
I already pointed it out in the previous page. Mewtwo is a lasting icon for the Pokemon series and Jigglypuff isnt. I dont doubt both will return, but for people to keep saying that Mewtwo has a lower chance than Jiggs when he has a position in his universe...

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Yes, its true. The official Melee site is in Japanese, but anyone who can translate Ness' page can tell you that Sakurai says something along the lines of, "to tell you the truth we were going to have Ness replaced by the protagonist of Mother 3. But since the game got put on hold it wasnt possible."

****. I'm gonna miss the little guy if he leaves! It just won't be the same!! crying:

RDK

Smash Hero
I see your point.

If I had it my way, I would just bring both of them back and end the Pokemon reps (Trainer + Pikachu + M2 + Jiggs is enough). We don't need something stupid like Lucario or Gerdevoir.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I know this has been said before but ill say it again, i think that no character with an original moveset will be leaving.
That shouldn't be the case at all. I say only the three unnecessary clones (Doc, Pichu, Roy) should be given the axe, and EVERYONE ELSE should return, including the remaining three clones who are given different movesets.

Val-Lynn

Smash Rookie
My analysis post was only prediction, and didn't necessarily reflect how I felt it should be. After all, Mewtwo is probably my favourite character from Melee (though I'm better with Samus and Marth). I don't actually believe that he'd be dropped simply because of his low tier status, but only because of his dwindling popularity.

I'm still holding on to hope though, because Mewtwo is still important to the pokemon franchise, and I'm sure that he'll be represented in Brawl. I don't think it would make any sense to make him into a pokeball or unplayable boss since he's already received an established fighting style in the last game.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Yeah I am better with Bowser, DK, and Samus but i still play as Mewtwo. Its just that special feeling i get when playing as mewtwo. Makes me feel invincible. While i gloat i come back to reality and relize i suck as mewtwo.

KYLEMARTHFALCODANIELSON

Smash Apprentice
ok, based on the whole invincible thing that knyaguy brought up, i didn't get that feeling, should they bring him back in brawl, i want them to actually be able to convey that feeling and make you feel like the bada$$ that mewtwo should be.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I'm not seeing anything about it, or perhaps I'm not lurking enough.

But doesn't anyone realize that Fox is checking power levels?!

Panik

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo is just a big mouse who likes to take knees to the face from the Cap'n.

But then again, who doesn't like to take knees to the face from teh Captain Suicide?

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i think mewtwo will be in cuz of his original moveset.Also why will mewtwo be beaten by iceclimbers? i mean they really sucked at mele and they made it back why would mewtwo go out then if they didnt?same applies with falco marth luigi... but not doc lol pichu and him are definately out!
who the hell is slippy lol

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
i think mewtwo will be in cuz of his original moveset.Also why will mewtwo be beaten by iceclimbers? i mean they really sucked at mele and they made it back why would mewtwo go out then if they didnt?same applies with falco marth luigi... but not doc lol pichu and him are definately out!
who the hell is slippy lol

In the words of the disembodied Smash announcer voice: "Failure."

Top Bottom