• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
well if they were interviewing him he must have been a guy that works for nintendo or someting so all the lugi fans can sleep peacefully now lol

Durbl Piij

Smash Cadet
This is the same guy who says he really wants to play as Snake, but hasn't been able to, right? That makes me think that he has only played the demo. He did seem to struggle to think of NIntendo characters. I don't believe he knows anything about Luigi, he just panicked.

Saying all that though, i do in fact have no doubts that Luigi will return. He will be decked out with his vacuum as the aternative to Mario's FLUDD, I daresay. It's be cool, the pulling. Will reming me of force pull and push. Ah Star Wars...Yeah, but Luigi has to make it, won't feel right without him.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
This is the same guy who says he really wants to play as Snake, but hasn't been able to, right? That makes me think that he has only played the demo. He did seem to struggle to think of NIntendo characters. I don't believe he knows anything about Luigi, he just panicked.

Saying all that though, i do in fact have no doubts that Luigi will return. He will be decked out with his vacuum as the aternative to Mario's FLUDD, I daresay. It's be cool, the pulling. Will reming me of force pull and push. Ah Star Wars...Yeah, but Luigi has to make it, won't feel right without him.
Yeh. And hopefully he has his "human missile" attack too. That's why I liked him so much. :chuckle:

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i prefer luigi much much more than mario cuz i dont like mario at all i wonder wat luigi's final smash would be

Panik

Smash Journeyman
honestly i prefer dr mario over luigi anyday...but i still have no prob with mr luigi at all:chuckle::p
I do too. I wish they'd can Mario and keep the Doc. Obviously Mario must stay, but I'm just saying. Dr. M played so much smoother than his counterpart...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I do too. I wish they'd can Mario and keep the Doc. Obviously Mario must stay, but I'm just saying. Dr. M played so much smoother than his counterpart...
I don't understand why people want Dr. Mario back instead of just wanting Mario back with Doc's statistics. Makes more sense to me.

Mario = most important character to Nintendo
Dr. Mario = the gum wrapper stuck to the bottom of the Nintendo's shoe.

Mario with Dr. Mario's stats = all problems solved

RDK

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people want Dr. Mario back instead of just wanting Mario back with Doc's statistics. Makes more sense to me.

Mario = most important character to Nintendo
Dr. Mario = the gum wrapper stuck to the bottom of the Nintendo's shoe.

Mario with Dr. Mario's stats = all problems solved
I agree with blending the two's abilities, and making just ONE Mario.

Maybe it's just the appeal of being able to beat people up using someone in the medical profession. Hell, who wouldn't like that?

"Take that, biatch!" as I stuff a pill down Pikachu's throat.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I agree with blending the two's abilities, and making just ONE Mario.

Maybe it's just the appeal of being able to beat people up using someone in the medical profession. Hell, who wouldn't like that?

"Take that, biatch!" as I stuff a pill down Pikachu's throat.

I do see the appeal.

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
I want to start off with stating that, before the site had gone to daily updates, I had read that they wanted to shoot for 40+ characters if they could, and they can. A game of this magnitude, with how long they have been working on it, and to only have 5 more playable characters then it's prequal. Melee added 13 more characters, and it was given what, 10 months to expand upon the original? I think two years will be more than enough to add 15 or so characters as well as keep many of the originals.

Thus far, of all confirmed returning characters, they havn't mentioned any of the hidden characters from melee NOR those who were originally secret characters in the original, despite being made starting characters in melee (i.e. Captain Falcon and Ness). Therefore, we have every single returning character that has been introduced to the series only as a starting character.

This makes me think for one; Jigglypuff, Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ness may possibly be made as secret characters, only because for some reason they want to go back to the original game, and possibly be unlockable in the same way as the original. Nostalgic purposes only, in my opinion. To this affect, they may not announce many of the orignal secret characters to keep us wondering whther or not they will appear.

*now my personal opinion to the inclusion/exclusion of older characters*

Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu are gone AS WE KNOW THEM. I believe that if any of these characters were to return, they would be given new move sets. Ganondorf and Falco are different people to who they were cloned from, especially Ganondorf.

We all know Ganondorf has his own personal moves that won't be anything near Falcon's, aside from the typical superhuman warlock possibly having a massive, dark-energy infused punch, I see that, though I would rather see a charged up energy ball like the battle at the top of Ganon's Castle in OoT and that massive sword from TP.

Falco can be the same and different. Seeing as how they were both in the Cornerian Army/Elite Mercenary Group, they would have been trained the same way, so in that respect, coming back unchanged would be ok, because he still has his own style of fighting. I do believe though, he could actually have all of his own moves, except for those that rely on items. His blaster and reflector shield are military issue, as far as I can tell, but other than that I can see that bad-*** bird thinking of a fighting style all his own, especially since, referring to the games, he prefers not to be compared to Fox if he can help it.

Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link were understandable clones in that they litterally were the person they were cloning. With Pichu and Dr. Mario, I don't see anyway that they can be changed to not be clones, and I believe in all respects that they will not return as characters aside from a pallette swap for Mario. Young Link, as mentioned, preferably either a MM or WW style character, with new moves based off of those games. His MM character can be very similar to Pokemon Trainer, where his down-B is him wearing a different mask, switching between deku, goron and zora and back to Young Link again. A twist on an already original design, and very true to the LoZ franchise.

I didn't mention Marth or Roy until now because I really don't know. I think one of them will return, yet I am kind of hoping for both, with one of them get a new moves list, and the other kind of be in between the original of both. Pretty much make Marth a little bit slower or Roy a little bit faster, tweak the damage, I think it will work. In contrast, neither of them may be playable, and just go with completely new Fire Emblem characters all together. Good job Ike, nice to see ya getting more involed with the economy.

Shiek out, Impa in. I believe Impa will be slightly heavier and slower, but for the most part the same as Shiek with a new down-B. (Is Zelda playable in the demo's and has anyone confirmed her down-B?)

So other than that I see no reason for the rest of the melee characters not to be included, unless they decide to replace Mewtwo with a different Psychic character. I havn't played any Pokemon games past Silver/Gold, so I don't know any good candidates. I would love Mewtwo to be tweaked a lot, because I definately think he was downgraded based off of how powerful he was in the other games. I blame it mostly on his being so light-wieght and his left-B. I do understand it being good as a mind game player, though I was so drawn away from Mewtwo I didn't play him enough to learn his better techniques and utilizeing the moves he was given.

The only reason Game and Watch might be taken out is because the Warioware series has kinda replaced the Game and Watch series in terms of the style of game, though I don't believe this warrants his removal in a fighting game, just maybe a small reason he might not be included as playable.

So, I think/hope the only characters who will be removed are Pichu, Dr. Mario and either Marth or Roy, making four. So far I believe there will be at least 32 characters, basing off of how many returning characters that *I personally believe* will return, and how many new characters have been confirmed, with at least one new third-party character a guarantee. I have not included the new characters I hope will be in, only what is confirmed and how I believe the developers are handling returning characters.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Ha, great pic! Where'd you find that?

I love how Luigi looks!
It's from VGCats. The friggin' best web-comic place evar. :)

I want to start off with stating that, before the site had gone to daily updates, I had read that they wanted to shoot for 40+ characters if they could, and they can. A game of this magnitude, with how long they have been working on it, and to only have 5 more playable characters then it's prequal. Melee added 13 more characters, and it was given what, 10 months to expand upon the original? I think two years will be more than enough to add 15 or so characters as well as keep many of the originals.

Thus far, of all confirmed returning characters, they havn't mentioned any of the hidden characters from melee NOR those who were originally secret characters in the original, despite being made starting characters in melee (i.e. Captain Falcon and Ness). Therefore, we have every single returning character that has been introduced to the series only as a starting character.

This makes me think for one; Jigglypuff, Luigi, Captain Falcon and Ness may possibly be made as secret characters, only because for some reason they want to go back to the original game, and possibly be unlockable in the same way as the original. Nostalgic purposes only, in my opinion. To this affect, they may not announce many of the orignal secret characters to keep us wondering whther or not they will appear.

*now my personal opinion to the inclusion/exclusion of older characters*

Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu are gone AS WE KNOW THEM. I believe that if any of these characters were to return, they would be given new move sets. Ganondorf and Falco are different people to who they were cloned from, especially Ganondorf.

We all know Ganondorf has his own personal moves that won't be anything near Falcon's, aside from the typical superhuman warlock possibly having a massive, dark-energy infused punch, I see that, though I would rather see a charged up energy ball like the battle at the top of Ganon's Castle in OoT and that massive sword from TP.

Falco can be the same and different. Seeing as how they were both in the Cornerian Army/Elite Mercenary Group, they would have been trained the same way, so in that respect, coming back unchanged would be ok, because he still has his own style of fighting. I do believe though, he could actually have all of his own moves, except for those that rely on items. His blaster and reflector shield are military issue, as far as I can tell, but other than that I can see that bad-*** bird thinking of a fighting style all his own, especially since, referring to the games, he prefers not to be compared to Fox if he can help it.

Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link were understandable clones in that they litterally were the person they were cloning. With Pichu and Dr. Mario, I don't see anyway that they can be changed to not be clones, and I believe in all respects that they will not return as characters aside from a pallette swap for Mario. Young Link, as mentioned, preferably either a MM or WW style character, with new moves based off of those games. His MM character can be very similar to Pokemon Trainer, where his down-B is him wearing a different mask, switching between deku, goron and zora and back to Young Link again. A twist on an already original design, and very true to the LoZ franchise.

I didn't mention Marth or Roy until now because I really don't know. I think one of them will return, yet I am kind of hoping for both, with one of them get a new moves list, and the other kind of be in between the original of both. Pretty much make Marth a little bit slower or Roy a little bit faster, tweak the damage, I think it will work. In contrast, neither of them may be playable, and just go with completely new Fire Emblem characters all together. Good job Ike, nice to see ya getting more involed with the economy.

Shiek out, Impa in. I believe Impa will be slightly heavier and slower, but for the most part the same as Shiek with a new down-B. (Is Zelda playable in the demo's and has anyone confirmed her down-B?)

So other than that I see no reason for the rest of the melee characters not to be included, unless they decide to replace Mewtwo with a different Psychic character. I havn't played any Pokemon games past Silver/Gold, so I don't know any good candidates. I would love Mewtwo to be tweaked a lot, because I definately think he was downgraded based off of how powerful he was in the other games. I blame it mostly on his being so light-wieght and his left-B. I do understand it being good as a mind game player, though I was so drawn away from Mewtwo I didn't play him enough to learn his better techniques and utilizeing the moves he was given.

The only reason Game and Watch might be taken out is because the Warioware series has kinda replaced the Game and Watch series in terms of the style of game, though I don't believe this warrants his removal in a fighting game, just maybe a small reason he might not be included as playable.

So, I think/hope the only characters who will be removed are Pichu, Dr. Mario and either Marth or Roy, making four. So far I believe there will be at least 32 characters, basing off of how many returning characters that *I personally believe* will return, and how many new characters have been confirmed, with at least one new third-party character a guarantee. I have not included the new characters I hope will be in, only what is confirmed and how I believe the developers are handling returning characters.
Indeed, indeed. (You must have been really determined to make such a gigantic statement. :laugh:)

KYLEMARTHFALCODANIELSON

Smash Apprentice
It's from VGCats. The friggin' best web-comic place evar. :)
(gigantic statement) which somewhere in the middle, i completely disagree with the impa part that would suck!!!! i agree with the rest though but i want marth back and not roy

Indeed, indeed. (You must have been really determined to make such a gigantic statement. :laugh:)
you must have been really really in agreement with him to quote "such a gigantic statement.":laugh:

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
thnx for supporting roy a bit and that was a huge steatement lol

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i thought it was a bot cuz he had only 1 post but then i read it

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Well, with Impa, I meant a little bit slower, but could in all respects stay the same. The reason for this is if they stay completely true to TP(as in zelda possibly having a new down-B), there is no reason to get rid of the character itself.

The style of Shiek is great. And the reason Impa replace her is one, I don't want them to get rid of the N64 Zelda styles, that is why I also hope for a MM YLink over WW. Don't get me wrong, loved WW, just of the two, MM YLink can provide a newer concept. WW Link can as well, what with the deku leaf, grappling hook and other new items as his moves, but wont be too much different from TP Link.

Back to Impa, she also makes a great candidate to replace Shiek because she is the one who trained Shiek. I mean, the last of the shiekah, sage of shadows, and good at whistling. In turn, will also give a new female character, because the game is still lacking in this department. Having Shiek in the game and not having her as a transformation for Zelda will kinda defeat the purpose of the character design from the original game. But I believe Impa will keep the fighting style alive, and Shiek fans like myself won't be too down-hearted. The only reason I say she would be a bit slower yet stronger is because from all the concept art and in game graphics of Impa from OoT, she likes a lot stronger than the average male, though she may not be AS quick as Shiek.

Edit: The thing I like least about Melee was that it didn't seem to be extremely true to the original games, though only in very specific aspects, a big reason why I was incredibly pissed off when I unlocked Ganondorf (case u can't tell, I am a zelda fan boy) they just threw him in there because he is one of the most prominent bad guys in Nintendo, not because he could have been a great character concept. Brawl seems to be changing this A LOT, that's why I have hopes of most clones returning with their own moves.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
I just hope wave dashing and other various things return with Brawl in order to make it tournament worthy.

Oh, and It's been awhile since I've been in the game, so how long has it been since Melee has NOT been in the MLG circuit?

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
The game is far beyond tournament worthy without wavedashing/shfffling and all that other ****, but that is a long, tedious, boring and fairly pointless discussion for another thread, due to both sides of the issue utterly refusing to back down at all and see the others view.

Edit: I shall not reply to further posts on said topic, but rather preply(?) by boldening choice words.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
The game is far beyond tournament worthy without wavedashing/shfffling and all that other ****, but that is a long, tedious boring discussion for another thread.
Meh. Of course it's tournament worthy, but without all of the advance techniques that make it such a unique and innovative fight, it could just be lumped in to other "worthy game" such as Mortal Kombat or DOA (ack!)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, the problem with Impa would be that your replacing a relatively unimportant character to the series with an even more unimportant one mostly for the hope that you'll get to play as a character that recycles Sheik's animations. I don't know what you mean by style since she'd just get bumped up to the level of detail of all of the other SSBB characters and end up looking like a perfect fit if she were in TP.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
The game is far beyond tournament worthy without wavedashing/shfffling and all that other ****, but that is a long, tedious, boring and fairly pointless discussion for another thread, due to both sides of the issue utterly refusing to back down at all and see the others view.

Edit: I shall not reply to further posts on said topic, but rather preply(?) by boldening choice words.
I don't know what pointless discussion you're actually referring to, as I have never participated in one. I'd like to hear your side, and I'm understanding (I am no nazi). So basically, don't be a jerk. You don't have to be so formal with this crap, just tell me your side next time and this thread will resume when it is meant to resume. I don't think this thread has ever really gotten off topic for more than one page at a time. New people are always coming in, and exploring tangents every once in awhile doesn't kill a man. Whatevah.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Of course SSBB is tournament worthy, it does have multiplayer after all. LOLOLOLOLOL

I mean...Halo's a tournament game and it's an FPS. AN FPS OF ALL THINGS. But...it has multiplayer so BAM! tournament game.

Eldezar

Smash Apprentice
Well, the problem with Impa would be that your replacing a relatively unimportant character to the series with an even more unimportant one mostly for the hope that you'll get to play as a character that recycles Sheik's animations. I don't know what you mean by style since she'd just get bumped up to the level of detail of all of the other SSBB characters and end up looking like a perfect fit if she were in TP.
The detail of the character can be bumped without changing the overall dress. Looking at
Melee Link and Brawl Link, I see relatively the same level of graphics design, due to Nintendo's standards of focusing on gameplay/gamelength/fun rather than graphics like all the others. However, the style of their design is pretty much that TP has a much darker scheme, which was one point of the game. Impa could still look like she did in OoT, just with a much smoother polygon and more detail in clothing/features etc.

I don't believe Impa to be any less important than Shiek, one in that she is the fourth most reincarnated/returning character in the series, this time she just wasn't an old woman.

Edit:
Panik said:
as I have never participated in one. I'd like to hear your side, and I'm understanding (I am no nazi).
That's good, maybe we shall banter some other time. You don't always get understanding people to talk to.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i think that sakurai will only get chars from the newer zelda games like tp or ww so this can be bad news for sheik and gd news for midna and ww link

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Wait, where is this?

EDIT: I only see a new picture of Mario fighting Kirby. No Doc confirmed as far as I know unfortunately...
Look at the picture he quoted of the Pikachu float. There's a photoshop'd picture of Kirby with what looks like Dr. Mario's headband thingy on.

He was just kidding. Not for real-real, just for play-play. ;)

Top Bottom