• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Wendy Wu

Smash Apprentice
You are reffuring to the stage typically deemed Yoshi's, are you not? That stage just radiates hope, how could it not be Yoshi's? The textures even seem familiar to Yoshi if you look closely, and the design patterns. Notice the curved, rolling hills in the background, the smiling flowers, the cartoonish bird in the top left. And look at the hump with a face and eyebrows with a platform on his head, located to the left of the main platform. That is actually from Yoshi's Island. If that isn't Yoshi's level, I may have just lost a small but recognizable amount of faith in Nintendo.
no duh!, he was being sarcastic

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Brawl Mario seems to be a merger of Doctor Mario and Mario from Melee in stats. His ariel punch now hits characters down as well as KOs upwards depending on when and where the oppenent is hit. So the Doctor is gone.

Pichu is a joke. He is weaker then Pikachu is almost every way. I say he goes.

Roy was an advertisement, newer FE games are coming out. I say Roy goes but may be replaced by another FE character.

Young Link could return as Windwaker Link, but I think only one Link will return (although Wolf Link may make an appearance somehow).

Falco... I think some of his stats will go to Fox and then Fox will be nerfed slightly. Falco is too similar to Fox anyways, and with Krystal and Wolf high in the popularity polls I think one of them will join the canine instead.

Ness may be replaced with Lucas. Sakurai had a hand in Mother 3 and I heard that Lucas has many of Ness's moves. If he does replace Ness, it will probably be more of a physical change then a dramatic overhaul.

G&W doesn't seem like he will make it. I love the character, but his gimmick was suprise. It wouldn't be that suprising if he returned with the same moves or slightly buffed. Wario seems to be filling in the class clown roll anyhow. Don't worry I am sure Brawl will offer enough fun suprises to make up for his cut, if it happens.

There are rumors floating around that Jiggs was not going to make it into Melee. So is she on the chopping block? If she returns that means there will be three ball characters. I hope she stays, but it is an interesting question. I am going to say that Sakurai keeps her.

With my proposed 7 cuts there would be 19 returning characters. Plus the 5 new ones in the Brawl trailer. So 24 characters so far if my theories hold up. Maybe there only will be 30 to 35 characters. Probably something not dividable by 5, like 33.

Wendy Wu

Smash Apprentice
anywhay i think the charactors that are finaly confermed just before S.S.B.B. are going to be the free charictors but they are not going to tell use what the unlockable charators are going to be

Rhyme

Smash Lord
anywhay i think the charactors that are finaly confermed just before S.S.B.B. are going to be the free charictors but they are not going to tell use what the unlockable charators are going to be
Just so you know, and you may have posted your earlier response in the time I was posting mine, I acknowledged that I didn't realize it was sarcaism due to the lack of spoken words.

Your theory is already wrong. Sakurai himself said that, even though they have already announced Snake, he will not be unlockable from the start. Seeing as how he is mysterious and a guest to the series and platform, he saw it as a more fitting representation of the character.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
What do you mean, not unlockable from the start? Like, you would have to download him, or would he just be a secret character like GnW?
I second this heartily. A link to this thing Sakurai said? I want to know if Snake is playable from the start, because it means a metric ****load about what we can assume about Brawl from here on out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lol. Check this out.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43085850/

I seriously don't think the way Pit looks will be the reason for Roy not returning. Kinda reminds me of the Bad News for Falcon fans..... thread.
Hahaha! Now that's a great comic! :D
Roy and Pit do look like each other though, but I agree with you that that isn't a reason to cut him. I love the way Peach is all acting like a ***** in that comic. ^^

+Rep for you. :)

Devastlian

Smash Lord
It was in the whole pole thing they did on the JP website (from SamuraiPand's Translation Thread):

SamuraiPanda said:
#251-260: Sakurai in response to an email asking that everything be unlocked as a default ="Well... that is a tough question. As long as the internet exists, all secrets will be revealed quickly. Sometimes even before the game comes out, even. Secret characters are one of the fun parts of Smash. Although you don't want to find out until the very end, I guess [literally: 'after all,' so there is no doubt in this statement] I'll reveal them. Again, just like "Smash fist" [literally: 'Sumabura ken,' the name of the Japanese SSBM site?] I can't just hold these characters back. "

The rest isn't too important. Except the last sentence. Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character.
Darn Mr. Sakurai and his ambiguous speech.

Also, I thought Roy was supposed to be the serious and heroic one and Marth was the cocky, smack talking one...

Rhyme

Smash Lord
What do you mean, not unlockable from the start? Like, you would have to download him, or would he just be a secret character like GnW?
Download...I like the way you think. No, we will not have to download him, he will most likely be one of the easier characters to unlock, like Marth or Jiggs. Still, the idea of Nintendo making multiple compatable versions of coding, so that they could come out with cheap little upgrades that you could dowload, like new levels and hopefully characters. The ultimate collection of smash greatness at the cost of a few games. Good for us and Nintendo, because they make money and we get a new game every few months.

I second this heartily. A link to this thing Sakurai said? I want to know if Snake is playable from the start, because it means a metric ****load about what we can assume about Brawl from here on out.
Had to re-read that post...using mks to describe smash. It truly is the greatest game ever.:laugh:

Darn Mr. Sakurai and his ambiguous speech.

Also, I thought Roy was supposed to be the serious and heroic one and Marth was the cocky, smack talking one...
Well he feels bad for us, as well he should, for leaving eager fans in the dark for so long. However, it's like the Christmas after you learned your parents had been lying to you your whole life. It was an all out present search, but if you ever found them(I did once), it completely ruins Christmas.

The cocky, smack talking attitude that I didn't even know he had adds to his image in the game. Now it's a cool sword vs a bad boy personality.

jolteon20

Smash Rookie
Why Everybody Think, Roy As A Bad Player, It's Hard To Use But It's Not As Bad As Everyone Describe, And I Guess Nintendo Will Include All The Charecters, Just Take Out Pichu, Then They Balance The Rest, Everybody'd Be Happy!!!

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Why Everybody Think, Roy As A Bad Player, It's Hard To Use But It's Not As Bad As Everyone Describe, And I Guess Nintendo Will Include All The Charecters, Just Take Out Pichu, Then They Balance The Rest, Everybody'd Be Happy!!!
Can anyone explain why people talk like this?

Anyway. Roy isn't bad, just not good. He's a perfectly fine character, but he's outshined so drastically compared to his clone-er it's not even worth it. Pichu has his advantages, but his infantesimally small range makes him nearly useless.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well, some of them don't speak english very well. I have occasionally seen people who say they don't speak english post, so they probably use an online translator and hope we can read it. It would explain why half the nouns in his/her post were changed to "It". I guess we have better message boards in America??? But even if we do, that's the only good thing about this country as far as I can see.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Most likely from a country where English is not the first language, such as Mexico, Venezuala, Argentina, Costa Rica, etc., OR he thinks everyone online talks 1337

"It". I guess we have better message boards in America??? But even if we do, that's the only good thing about this country as far as I can see.
You mean the U.S. right? If so, you are forgetting a crapload of stuff, like Apple pie for one.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
i want falco, but even if he doesnt return there seem to be a lot of new players like metaknight and zamus that might make up for that.....
I can relate to that, but my case would be Marth instead of Falco. For example, in the slight chance that he gets replaced, I could see myself maining Pit or Zamus. Or Goroh especially, if he gets in. Pardon my slight off-topic-ness.

EDIT: Only 15 hours and 19 minutes until Wii is released in America!

AquabladE

Smash Rookie
I just hope that they FIX clones further (like they did with Luigi) instead of just drop them.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Which is why I'm crossing my fingers for Roy, or at the very least, a character from Fire Emblem who is Roy deep down inside.

Prince-Marth

Smash Rookie
Well I know some that are comeing back. Ness Kirby Link Mario Dr. Mario Luigi Marth Roy Samus Mr Game And Watch Pikachu. Thats all i know so far. New Characters are if you dont know. Pit Meta Knight Wario Snake.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Well I know some that are comeing back. Ness Kirby Link Mario Dr. Mario Luigi Marth Roy Samus Mr Game And Watch Pikachu. Thats all i know so far. New Characters are if you dont know. Pit Meta Knight Wario Snake.
Yeah, we know. Please use 'commas' in the future, it makes things easier for all of us.

You mean the U.S. right? If so, you are forgetting a crapload of stuff, like Apple pie for one.
Yes I mean the U.S. I hate pie in all its forms, and therefore maintain my previous statement.

Were reverse attacks an accident, or just part of the game's physics? I would hate to see some reverses, such as Dorf's downB, Mario's upB, and Pika's Uair dissappear. Reverse attacks made for some pretty interesting combos and it would make characters play differently without them. I only ask because I don't ever remember getting a reverse in Smash 64 so I didn't know if they existed back then and therefore might cease to exist again.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yes I mean the U.S. I hate pie in all its forms, and therefore maintain my previous statement.
:scared:How is hating pie even possible?:scared:

Were reverse attacks an accident, or just part of the game's physics? I would hate to see some reverses, such as Dorf's downB, Mario's upB, and Pika's Uair dissappear. Reverse attacks made for some pretty interesting combos and it would make characters play differently without them. I only ask because I don't ever remember getting a reverse in Smash 64 so I didn't know if they existed back then and therefore might cease to exist again.
Beats me. I'm not to sure, but I think reversing will stay. just a feeling

Rhyme

Smash Lord
:scared:How is hating pie even possible?:scared:
I am that 1 in 10 million americans born without that particular geen, i guess.:ohwell:

Beats me. I'm not to sure, but I think reversing will stay. just a feeling
I kinda had that feeling too, but then again...I got a bad feeling with the quick dodging replacing WDing and that actually might happen. I guess I needed someone to justify my parenoia.

This thread degenerated from pointless failing arguments on who would return to hopelessly analyzing the trailer to gut instinct and intuition on reverse attacks and critizism on ethnocentric patriotism. What is next...a comment on how I used big words incorrectly in an attempt to sound smart?:laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dr.Mario?!? :laugh: Okay we all know for almost 99% sure now that Dr.Mario WILL be cutted. Why do you lie? You can't possibly know things we don't know yet... Your post could make sence if you just added classics as DK, Yoshi and Fox... >_>

Anyways, for newbies that didn't readed the first post:

Confirmed RETURNING characters:
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Samus
Fox

Confirmed NEW characters:
Wario
MetaKnight
Pit
Solid Snake
Zero Suit Samus

Semi- Confirmed characters:
Yoshi (we saw his stage)
Donkey Kong

I added Donkey Kong in there, because he was one of the 8 classic characters from Super Smash Bros. on the N64 which you got at the start... And because he's friggin DONKEY KONG! That alone would be enough. :)

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Since Falco is my all time best character, I think he deserves to return. I would like to see new moves in his arsenal and just not a copycat from Fox.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Its gene, not geen lol.

Isn't this thread about who is coming back?
Thankyou for the correction, I am a horrible speller. However, in the interest of historical accuracy, I will leave it be.

Semi- Confirmed characters:
Yoshi (we saw his stage)
Donkey Kong

I added Donkey Kong in there, because he was one of the 8 classic characters from Super Smash Bros. on the N64 which you got at the start... And because he's friggin DONKEY KONG! That alone would be enough. :)
Yes, DK is returning for many of the same reasons Yoshi would be returning. I think it would be safe to assume that all characters in the origional 8 will return, so add Luigi to semi-confirmed. Other than that, the remaining 4 are really a toss up. Although Falcon, Jiggs, and Ness should make it and deserve to make it, there is a chance they won't.

Since Falco is my all time best character, I think he deserves to return. I would like to see new moves in his arsenal and just not a copycat from Fox.
If he returns, he will have a new moveset. If he gets a new moveset, he won't play like your best character. Basic p implies q implies r logic would suggest that if Falco returns, he will not be your best character because he will play completely different. So, he should return but not for the reason you provided.

I'm just nit-picking because I'm bored and procrastinating.

T-major

Smash Champion
If he returns, he will have a new moveset. If he gets a new moveset, he won't play like your best character. Basic p implies q implies r logic would suggest that if Falco returns, he will not be your best character because he will play completely different. So, he should return but not for the reason you provided.
indeed. I agree that he should return. but not becuase he's my best character (even though he's getting there). I dont understand why people are saying "Marth should return because he's awsome!" agreed, he should return becuase he deserves it, but not in a melee performence sense. he deserves it because Fire Emblem is a huge series, and is important to Nintendo. all characters will play entirly different, so people shouldn't say things based on character tier positions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope at least one of the Pokemon comes back (preferably Mewtwo).
Well today is your lucky day I guess... PIKACHU HAS BEEN CONFIRMED! AND HE HAS THE MOST AWESOME CRAWL OF ALL!! :D

Ohh you knew that already don't you...?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Roy is not a bad player, he just isn't as highly rated as Marth :ohwell: . Plus you shouldn't assume everybody will be happy if Pichu was taken out because there are some people who won't (including me). I bet if Pichu was a much better character in Melee so that he's above Pikachu on the tier list, not as many people will want him out.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Yoshi Returns..

There's a Stage on the second trailer of brawl that resembles Yoshi's Island.

Or is there a possibility to see a stage where the character does not appear...?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yoshi should just be bumped to CONFIRMED because of his stage. FE characters were in Melee and they didn't even have a stage.

DONKEY KONG is not confirmed or even semi-confirmed, since Sakurai has stated that even the original 8 are not safe from the Axe of Doom.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
DONKEY KONG is not confirmed or even semi-confirmed, since Sakurai has stated that even the original 8 are not safe from the Axe of Doom.
Did he actually say that? I've been looking all over the place, even using translators to search Japanese websites and I haven't found anything resembling even the original 8 are not safe anywhere on the internet.

Maybe it is true for most people, but personally, I wouldn't care if Pichu was top tier. I still want him gone because, among all the other reasons I have posted in the past, he isn't that important to melee or Nintendo. Yes, he is a baby pokemon...so what!?

Top Bottom