• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

icymatt

Smash Lord
He didn't say anything about which characters would go. He just said 'Some will dissapear. Definetly'.

And while Donkey Kong shouldn't be considered 'confirmed', he's coming back. It's just TOO obvious.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Just the fact that he never specified what character group [ie: 64 chars, melee chars] are subject to his statement that they are not safe, it implies that even the 64 cast are not safe.

however, i do think i saw it somewhere saying that, but maybe that was just from some random person.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
Even though he did not explicitly state thatthe 64 characters are safe, what would be a good reason for eliminating any of them? They were picked for a reason; because they were the best representatives of Nintendo's diverse gam catalouge. I don't see why the same logic wouldn't be followed. So even if they aren't "safe," it's just plain logic to count them in. At least, in my opinion.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Two things led me to this conclusion that 64 characters are in no way safe:

1) The fact that the roster would've stayed the exact same and only added to if Sakurai was not leading it. essentially a Melee 2 [sequal].
2) When taking it on, what Sakurai did say was that this was NOT going to be Melee 2, and he's going to make it it's own game, it's going to be Brawl. Changes will be made to shake things up, and that's what he's doing.

DK's moveset is decent. His A's are pretty good, and his Neutral/Up B. However, his Down and Forward B are lame. If I was Sakurai, i would be extremely picky with my moves for characters. Beggers can't be choosers, but Sakuari is no where near a begger, so he can be as choosy as he wants.

Brawl is huge, and a disappointment like DK's forward B would be unacceptable. I would skoff and gag at such an idea for a move.

Then again, that's me. moves are ridiculously important to me, priority 1 actually, but I'm not Sakurai, so who knows, maybe he's fine with having something lame like a single kick for a B move. Hope not.

If Sakurai can't make DK NOT look like a failure, I would rather him not be in, than be disgraced.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Two things led me to this conclusion that 64 characters are in no way safe:

1) The fact that the roster would've stayed the exact same and only added to if Sakurai was not leading it. essentially a Melee 2 [sequal].
2) When taking it on, what Sakurai did say was that this was NOT going to be Melee 2, and he's going to make it it's own game, it's going to be Brawl. Changes will be made to shake things up, and that's what he's doing.

DK's moveset is decent. His A's are pretty good, and his Neutral/Up B. However, his Down and Forward B are lame. If I was Sakurai, i would be extremely picky with my moves for characters. Beggers can't be choosers, but Sakuari is no where near a begger, so he can be as choosy as he wants.

Brawl is huge, and a disappointment like DK's forward B would be unacceptable. I would skoff and gag at such an idea for a move.

Then again, that's me. moves are ridiculously important to me, priority 1 actually, but I'm not Sakurai, so who knows, maybe he's fine with having something lame like a single kick for a B move. Hope not.

If Sakurai can't make DK NOT look like a failure, I would rather him not be in, than be disgraced.
Errr sorry but the fact that DK's Forward B is lame is no excuse to remove him... ._. First of all, the move is probarly one of the least used moves in the whole game. Second is that there are ALOT of crappy Forward B moves, so it doesn't really mather that DK has one to.

DK's Down B is from Donkey Kong Country, which is the best game he ever stared in. I would be extremly disapointed if they'd remove his Down B. Which I really doubt honestly... The move also looks really cool. :cool:

And I think DK is very safe. He's still going on with his games, however none of them can compete with DKC... Donkey Konga was very populair in Japan, and there are still alot of DK games in the make as Diddy Kong Racing DS, DK King of Swing DS, DK Bongo Blast, and Donkey Kong Wii -which we know nothing about-.

Cutting DK would be very dumb, since he's really the character that started Nintendo. Well... Mario did that to, but Donkey Kong was still the title of the first game Nintendo made.
So I think DK is 100% safe.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Being realistic, I can agree that the 64 characters are "safe." If they returned once, they can do it again.

And that's really all there is to it in my mind. I don't know why we're debating things like DK.

Tera253

Smash Ace
Falco must return, and the originals. anyone else? Tera doesn't care a terrible lot, since Pika's back. Marth perhaps. Zelda?
~Tera253~

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
i wasn't saying remove him because of his forward B. i was just discussing his moveset.
Although for newcomers, if a moveset that is respectably cannot be produced, just scrap the char besides disgrace with a crappy moveset.

People consider Sonic guaranteed. Sonic is in no way gauranteed. Same for DK. Yes, we can ASSUME he's cooming back, but at least admit that the possibility of him not returning is plausible.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Yes, but it's also plausible that they remove everyone and replace them all with one character named Amazing Fred.

You just can't have Smash Bros. without Donkey Kong. He's one of the most recognizable names in video games.

jolteon20

Smash Rookie
Roy is not a bad player, he just isn't as highly rated as Marth :ohwell: . Plus you shouldn't assume everybody will be happy if Pichu was taken out because there are some people who won't (including me). I bet if Pichu was a much better character in Melee so that he's above Pikachu on the tier list, not as many people will want him out.
NO, I BET A "PICHU" MASTER HAVE NO CHANCE AGAIST O ROY "MASTER" IT'S JUST LIKE THAT WAY, ANYWAY IN MY OPINION NINTENDO JUST INCLUDE PICHU IN SSBM BECAUSE OF THE POKEMON SUCCESS(GOLD, SILVER AND THEN RUBY...) BUT IF YOU REALIZE THE POKEMON COMPANY ARE NOT AS STRONG AS THEY WERE. BESSIDES I GUESS THOSE WHO LIKE PICHU ALSO LIKE PICACHU AND THIS ONE IT'S ALREADY CONFIRMED.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
The point of Smash Brothers as a franchise is to pit famous video game characters against one another in battle. I would imagine that they just decided who would be in it first, then balanaced them and gave them moves. I don't think this game would be nearly as popular or as fun if they just used random people as opposed to, like, Mario.

So taking our DK just because you don't like his moveset seems backwards. The moveset can change, but the character has to remain in the game because he is one of Nintendo's most famous characters. Once they pick characters that fit the theme of the game and are interesting and diverse, any moveset tweaking can come later.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
To counter the moveset argument, here are some good points...

1. Sakurai said that some moves are worse than others on purpose, and good players are those who use all of a characters attacks. "Sakurai mentions that not all attacks can be superstrong, and that some attacks are weaker than others on purpose. He says that the best players are those who are able to utilize all of their character’s attacks, and not just a few good ones.

2. DK's downB is a good move because it hits on both sides and sets opponents up for combos and his Giant Punch.

3. DK's fowardB works as a meteor but is quicker than the average meteor attack. It has about the range of Mario's Fair, but much less lag and he stops falling when using it, so there is little chance of killing yourself.

In short, DK's moveset is fine as it is. If Nintendo wanted to make some small tweaks, especially when it comes to ariel comboability, than that would be fine by me. However, he could be good to go.

T-major

Smash Champion
DK's moveset is decent. His A's are pretty good, and his Neutral/Up B. However, his Down and Forward B are lame.

DK's down b move fits him perfectly, and I think it was in DKC.... and his forward B is possably one of the most awsome moves ever! I mean seriously! it's a gorrila, head-butting someone so hard, that they get lodged into the ground. and you think thats lame? poppycock!

DK should just be put on the confirmed list, simply becuase of common logic. if it wasn't for Donkey Kong, we wouldnt have Nintendo at all. because DK was the first game Nintendo made, and was the start of Mario's carrer. there is 100,000,000% no reason why they would even think about taking him out. they just need to make him a little faster, but even if they didn't, I wouldn't care. because taking him out is the same as taking out Mario.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
Do I agree that DK should be in, and will be in? Of course. But I don't think putting him on the confirmed list is correct, simply because, well, he isn't confirmed. Plain and simple. It's an almost sure thing he's in, but it isn't 100% sure. He'll be confirmed soon, I would venture to say.

T-major

Smash Champion
Do I agree that DK should be in, and will be in? Of course. But I don't think putting him on the confirmed list is correct, simply because, well, he isn't confirmed. Plain and simple. It's an almost sure thing he's in, but it isn't 100% sure. He'll be confirmed soon, I would venture to say.
granted, he's not technicaly comfirmed. but the fact that it's blatantly obvious he will eventualy be, it just dosn't make sense to wait for offical news. pretty much everybody knows he will be in (if they have any common sense, that is), so puting him on the confirmed list now would make no difference if we waitted. becuase in the longrun, it would have the same outcome anyways.

Prince-Marth

Smash Rookie
ok.

Yeah, we know. Please use 'commas' in the future, it makes things easier for all of us.

Yes I mean the U.S. I hate pie in all its forms, and therefore maintain my previous statement.

Were reverse attacks an accident, or just part of the game's physics? I would hate to see some reverses, such as Dorf's downB, Mario's upB, and Pika's Uair dissappear. Reverse attacks made for some pretty interesting combos and it would make characters play differently without them. I only ask because I don't ever remember getting a reverse in Smash 64 so I didn't know if they existed back then and therefore might cease to exist again.
I will next time.

loki1321321324

Smash Rookie
okay i never said luigi and mario are the same, i said they are extremely similar. al i want you to see is that their moves are based on each other greatly.

with daisy, you can easily give her almost any moves because of the fact that she was not exactly "introduced". they could give her a lance and nobody could really say that was wrong (she is a princess and all but look at peach. she has exploding hips. when was this ever revieled to the public?)

and i really do think that ness' yoyo should be replaced with something better or give it better effects. maybe it electrifies the enemy? just something special for it because it is alittle boring. and the bat should be like peach's smash > attack (the golf club, frying pan, and tennis racket) except that it has more damage or less.

about how i was being immature. i apologize. i really just am under TONS of tension with a relative. please forgive me.

Prince-Marth

Smash Rookie
you know what would be stupid if, Sonic was in this and Pikman. Do you think that if we have Pikman and Sonic in Brawl do you think it would be popular?

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
COME ON PEOPLE!!! Sorry, I just wanted to say that, but of course Yoshi and DK and etc.will be returning! ThEy are good, well-balanced characters that are quite popular, and have been in the original SSB adn before. THey don't have any reason to get the boot. Also, they has appeared in so many games. Well, DK, not as many, but still... I'm just saying I do not think that we need to be worrying about Yoshi, or any other of the original SSB characters...that INCLUDES the hidden ones... has anyone else seen the trailor where they are crawling? Looks like they have updated SSB's movement from sidestep to crawl! Nice...

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
DK is a must in any game feturing a collection of popular Nintendo characters. Yoshi is too. I don't even know how most of you can say take DK and Yoshi out of Smash. He's DK!!! If anything he is just as popular as Mario or any other nintendo character. Yoshi is just as popular.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
i think dk might be replaced by diddy kong or someone like that. what do you think
NO, DK will be in, and they will more than likely add Diddy Kong in one form or another.

you know what would be stupid if, Sonic was in this and Pikman. Do you think that if we have Pikman and Sonic in Brawl do you think it would be popular?
Sonic is pretty much a necessity to brawl. Pikman won't be in it, but Captain Olimar is a strong maybe. Then again he was not a hugely popular character and only had a relatively successful origional game and less successful sequal, so it could easily be a no. Either way, he is one of those obscure characters that could fit in but would take a lot of work to do. Just look at Snake...right from the start half the people went "OMG SNAKE!!" and the other half went "WTF SNAKE??". Now that we see him in the trailer, almost everyone of the latter went "Ok, I could see that working".

okay i never said luigi and mario are the same, i said they are extremely similar. al i want you to see is that their moves are based on each other greatly.

with daisy, you can easily give her almost any moves because of the fact that she was not exactly "introduced". they could give her a lance and nobody could really say that was wrong (she is a princess and all but look at peach. she has exploding hips. when was this ever revieled to the public?)

and i really do think that ness' yoyo should be replaced with something better or give it better effects. maybe it electrifies the enemy? just something special for it because it is alittle boring. and the bat should be like peach's smash > attack (the golf club, frying pan, and tennis racket) except that it has more damage or less.

about how i was being immature. i apologize. i really just am under TONS of tension with a relative. please forgive me.
How much tension could a relative possibly put on a person?

Anyway, I've never played an Earthbound game, but if Ness used the Yoyo in the game, there is no reason to remove it. Regardless, in Smash 64, Ness had the All Powerful Yoyo of Death, which overprioritized Giant Punches and canceled out with Falcon Punches and the like. I think his yoyo sucking balls was part of the overcompensation for him being too good in Smash 64. In conclusion, his yoyo won't suck in brawl, because they will re-balance it. So the yoyo is no reason to get rid of him and they shouldn't change it.

Yes, you could give Daisy almost any move and the public would go ooh, ok, but again, why spend months developing a completely new character when it would save time and money to make a few small changes to an existing one?

For the last time, you really need to let the whole Mario and Luigi are extremely similar argument go. This is how Nintendo works...they tailor to the needs of the people in their country. The Japanese have discovered that their public cares much less about amazing next gen graphics and way more about adicting gameplay. That is why it is Nintendo's style to create good games quickly and cheaply, without bogging it down with high definition graphics and advanced rendering. That being said, why wouldn't Mario's and Luigi's attacks look similar? I've been with dozens of people who have animated characters, and they say that for simple walking and firing animations for a 1st person shooter, it takes months of work. So, how much time and money do you think it would take to re-animate an entire character? That is why their attacks look the same, because of Nintendo's style of creating games. Now, the only attacks of theirs in the entire game that have the same trajectory and knockback are Uair, Bair, neutral B, and Dthrow. How does 4 identical attacks out of 20 constitute two characters being the same? It doesn't. As I've said before, no smash player mains with Mario and Luigi, because they are SO different.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
^^ most intelligent post in this thread to date.

The problem I have here is that you guys want Nintendo to get rid of characters that they have no reason to ditch. When they make a new game, they could easily keep whatever old characters there are and add new ones. Why should it bother you if they decide to keep Pichu? Just don't play him. If you have difficulty beating a Pichu... well then I guess you don't deserve a say in it anyways.

Vetti

Smash Rookie
If they kick out Ness (god knows why) then they better replace him with a character I'll like, cause so far none of the characters interest me.

Not saying the new comers like Pit suck. I just prefer a character with a fighting style that suits me.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I don't find any shame in being beaten by a Pichu, because that marks a very skilled, adaptable player. One of the best matches I ever had was my Kirby against Drephen's Pichu. I only lost by one stock, and was genuinly impressed by his skill with the character. I still don't care at all if he is inlcuded, and if he is I will honestly never play him.

As far as I have heard, if Ness is removed, it's only because they will replace him with Lucas. He is so similar to Ness anyway, that they would play almost exactly the same. That is why they shouldn't remove Ness. They would be spending time and energy to put in a character only popular in Japan that would be exactly the same as the replacee.

T-major

Smash Champion
Rhyme said:
As far as I have heard, if Ness is removed, it's only because they will replace him with Lucas. He is so similar to Ness anyway, that they would play almost exactly the same. That is why they shouldn't remove Ness. They would be spending time and energy to put in a character only popular in Japan that would be exactly the same as the replacee.
Exactly what I think. I haven't even heard that they even made a MOTHER 3, let alone know who Lucas was (I still dont). I knew who Ness was the minute I played Melee for the first time... and I hadn't even played Earthbound yet! even people who still haven't played Earthbound, know who he is, and what game he's from thanks to Melee. and putting in a character that only Japan will recognise would add a lot of confusion. and like Rhyme said. if they would be the same anyways, why bother making a new character in the first place? if they want to represent MOTHER 3, couldnt they put in another character from the game who isn't Lucas, and keep Ness at the same time?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I WOULD join you MoP, but I already weigh too little, so i'll just go with the old-fashioned suicide protest......

But yea....I want Diddy Kong is, he's cool. But if DK is as...bland.....as he is in Melee, and they add Diddy....something is wrong. They need to make DK cool, before they even THINK about Diddy.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Chief in Smash would be absurd. As if it wasn't bad enough that he was never on a Nintendo console (y'know, being owned by Microsoft itself), he'd be a Solid Snake clone.

Back on task!

See, that's just it. The confirmed list is an officially confirmed list. People who come here seeing who's available for Brawl want to know who is 'official' and who isn't.

A good bet, yes. Not confirmed. Everyone's insisting that all the characters from 64, which is very true, but until we get Sakurai's sayso (or a video) we get nothing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I WOULD join you MoP, but I already weigh too little, so i'll just go with the old-fashioned suicide protest......

But yea....I want Diddy Kong is, he's cool. But if DK is as...bland.....as he is in Melee, and they add Diddy....something is wrong. They need to make DK cool, before they even THINK about Diddy.
Kirby is also still not a cool character from what I've seen... Yet MetaKnight made it. Since when did it mather if a character isn't cool? To me, DK is the coolest character in Melee! Opinions differ...

Donkey Kong is a brute power character, and the only one who fights only with his own physical power. Unless Little Mac makes it too , I don't see it happening that there will be another fist fighting character in Brawl.

The only thing they might change about DK is his slapping moves and his taunt. Make his Ftilt just like it was in Smash64 and the problem is all sloved with his moves. The taunt however is still nice for me, and it's very populair in here. However, I would change it for the taunt in Donkey Kong Country, where DK beats his chest... That would make more cool I guess.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
They prbally will take out all the so called "immation" characters like Pichu, Dr. mario, young link, flaco, roy and i don't know about Ganadorf

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
Things you should notice before you post on these boards (or any forum imo)

Lurk more. Or read a page of a thread before you post in it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Things you should notice before you post on these boards (or any forum imo)

Lurk more. Or read a page of a thread before you post in it.
>_>
You yourself are not too far from that. Just because a guy has little posts, doesn't mean he's automatically dumb.:rolleyes:

Rhyme

Smash Lord
HAHAHA I agree with you. You are a very smart person. I always laugh when reading your posts.
Well, he thinks before opening his mouth. Why do you think he has such a positive rep? He had to post somewhere, so why get in his face about it? Just say...Clone(imitation) characters don't deserve to go just because they are clones if they are important. Nicely put, and presents a point. Sorry for the group attack, it just wasn't that long ago since I was a 'smash n00b' and I remember feeling insignificant. You grow into it I guess.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
You start feeling A LOT better when you hit the half grand mark.
<<<<<< o.O

Well, I don't use DK, and no one really does who I know. He's essentially non-existant to us. But if you, users of DK are fine with his lame Forward-B and the like, that's OK with me, I'll just keep on not using him like always.

How is Kirby lame? Granted that he has so many move possibliities that it's absurd, but there is only 4 B buttons, so it has to be cut somewhere. Also, some of his abilities would be overpowered, so it's limited more there. AND a bunch of his abilities include swords and pointy objects, which we have enough of. So limits there as well.

Even with those limits.....hammer? It works, make it better and I'll enjoy it. But there are more "creative" moves, but whatever.

Top Bottom