• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Izzie404

Smash Rookie
How many characters

I read somewhere, (the internet is so dang large) that there are actually going to be 40 characters! I really didn't believe it because then Nintendo would just be being stupid, but I really hope there isn't only the 10 that have been on the trailers.:(
Oh, and I also heard that Pit is going to have three regular jumps, and that Meta Knight can glide down really far.

icymatt

Smash Lord
40 is just a rumor. But there will be certainly more characters than just the ten(eleven if you count normal Samus) we've seen. Those are just the ones that are complete/near-complete at this time.

The two other things you heard are correct, though.

T-major

Smash Champion
I read somewhere, (the internet is so dang large) that there are actually going to be 40 characters! I really didn't believe it because then Nintendo would just be being stupid, but I really hope there isn't only the 10 that have been on the trailers.:(
Oh, and I also heard that Pit is going to have three regular jumps, and that Meta Knight can glide down really far.
what's wrong with 40 characters? seems like a perfect amount to me. Nintendo isn't being stupid if they want to include a wide range of characters. they have more then enough, I don't see how it could be a problem. also. more characters, means more characters you can unlock. and more unlockables, means more time trying to get them. which is far better then just having a few secret characters, which are unlocked in a week.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
And more unlockables means more time trying to get them, which is far better then just having a few secret characters, which are unlocked in a week.
I fixed the post a little bit because the grammar was driving me crazy!:crazy: But the main idea of the post is still there. Smash 64 was kinda borish because you started with almost everything there was. Melee was good because you started with only half the levels and characters. I would love it if, in brawl, they made it so there were only about 10 characters and their 10 stages unlocked from the get-go, and then the other 30ish characters and dozen or so levels you would have to unlock. Sure everyone will just use the internet and figure out how to unlock half the stuff anyway, but it was fun to try and fail a few times before you finally succedded. I know that with fighter games you generally start with most of the characters, just an idea to make things interesting.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I think ome characters wont return due to reasons other than gameplay issues ( did anyone notice when ice climbers always merge together when close, looks glitchy and is very annoying in camera mode

ssb6491

Smash Rookie
i'd want to see all the char.s return regardless. but i knwo thats not possible. i think mainly all the popular char.s will return even if they suck.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
i hope doc comes back... i dont know why they would take him out.
1) he's not that important
2) his game didn't do amazing. it did well, just not like some others with solo games in smash.
3) freakin puzzle game, what's he gonna do...throw the different shaped tetris pieces at the opponent?
$) clone characters have more of a chance leaving then coming back in some form.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I wish you only started with mario and one level.
That would make it really fun to have to unlock EVERYONE. LOL

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
1) he's not that important
2) his game didn't do amazing. it did well, just not like some others with solo games in smash.
3) freakin puzzle game, what's he gonna do...throw the different shaped tetris pieces at the opponent?
$) clone characters have more of a chance leaving then coming back in some form.
lol, funny thing is that doc did trow the pills around. but i agree, he isnt comming back. or rather he has really and i mean really low odds of returning

The Codeman

Smash Cadet
If they put more pokemon on brawl, would they add like any fying types like say charizard or evolved pokemon like blaziken.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I'd actually enjoy that, too... and so would a few other people. But Nintendo knows that most gamers are NOT completionists. At least in the US.
I enjoy the concept, just not exactly as you do. If I had things my way, you would start with the origional confirmed returning: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, along with one level for each of those characters plus FD. Then you have an awesome vs level for as soon as you unlock a few characters, and that leaves most of them secret and waiting.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I wish you only started with mario and one level.
That would make it really fun to have to unlock EVERYONE. LOL
The problem being that multiplayer is a MAJOR part of the game. That's why they give you a variety of characters and stages to start with.

Plus, it makes much more sense that all the main characters of the major series are default. It just does. And a few secondaries, of course.

Corinth

Smash Cadet
I for one think that G&W should stay, though its highly unlikley :(

Ya, and Ice Climbers should definatley stay. They were awesome in Melee

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
Looking back on it, I think if they had to remove five characters, they'd probably go for four clones (Doc, Pichu, Roy :( and Young Link) and MAYBE one of the old-schoolers (probably GAW).

I still want Roy and GAW to return, though!

T-major

Smash Champion
If they put megaman on brawl, do u think it would be the old megaman or the newer one that is on tv.
most likely classic megaman. seeing as that version has more of a connection with Nintendo. Megaman EXT. (that one on tv is that version) probably wouldn't be as well known as classic MM. also, they might use megaman X. if they do, they would more then likly use his look from megaman zero and ZX. since it's more recent.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
most likely classic megaman. seeing as that version has more of a connection with Nintendo. Megaman EXT. (that one on tv is that version) probably wouldn't be as well known as classic MM. also, they might use megaman X. if they do, they would more then likly use his look from megaman zero and ZX. since it's more recent.
Or...the mystical magical*counts*6th choice...is a fun and creative combination of the 5, with each version's design being its own seperate costume.

I compiled a huge list with reasons a while back, but for those who never saw it, and seeing how the topic emerged again, here are my picks for who is leaving the smash scene: Dr. Mario, Pichu, Roy, Shiek

Houndoomshocka

Smash Journeyman
I've never played Fire Emblem, but who is the main character between Marth and Roy? I hear Roy would leave before Marth, and I was a Marth fighter for a long time after Kirby, but then I played as Roy and felt more powerful....

~HDS

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Marth is gonna stay! But Marth is gonna stay!

Seriously though, Marth is the more populair and well known character of the two. Fire Emblem isn't really a story which continues. Every game takes place on a diffrent continent with diffrent characters (exceptions are FE1-FE3, FE6-FE7 and FE9-FE10). Roy and Marth have never met before in their games.

Marth was the hero of the first and the 3rd Fire Emblem (FE3 was a remake of FE1) so he's basically the main character of the franchise. He was one of the most requested characters for Melee, and he's very likely to stay.

Roy however was putted in Melee for advertising Fire Emblem 6. The Fire Emblem franchise was pretty much dead near the end of the SNES generation... So they put Roy in Melee to advertise FE6 which came out after SSBM for the GBA only in Japan. Roy made a small cameo as a kid in Fire Emblem 7 to, which is the first international FE. He's the son of FE7's main character, Eliwood...

Also, to a much lesser notice... Marth is far more played and loved than Roy in SSBM.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
You REALLY didn't need that last line Diddy, you were doing so well. Due to his status on the tier level, nothing more. It would be the complete opposite if Roy was top tier and not Marth. [i like the older tier list better, where marth is top]

Roy IS Our Boy, so back off!

T-major

Smash Champion
Roy however was put in Melee for advertising Fire Emblem 6. The Fire Emblem franchise was pretty much dead near the end of the SNES generation... So they put Roy in Melee to advertise FE6 which came out after SSBM for the GBA only in Japan. Roy made a small cameo as a kid in Fire Emblem 7 to, which is the first international FE. He's the son of FE7's main character, Eliwood...
exactly! thats a big reason why Roy should stay. his game marks the revival of the FE franchise. which is pretty darn important to the fanchise if you ask me! Marth was in the first one, so he deserves a spot. but if it wasn't for Roy, FE games would have stoped being made. he needs to be represented as such.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You REALLY didn't need that last line Diddy, you were doing so well. Due to his status on the tier level, nothing more. It would be the complete opposite if Roy was top tier and not Marth. [i like the older tier list better, where marth is top]

Roy IS Our Boy, so back off!
Well, that why I said: "To a much lesser notice" didn't I? ;) Sorry if I offended anyone with that, because I don't care with Tiers either. DK is my main, that would explain everything. It's just the fact that removing Marth would lead to much more uproar than removing Roy... Roy is a nice character and all, and I'd like to see him return with a Luigified moveset but chances are really high he won't return, and I'm just being realistic...

T-major;1936644 [FONT=Times New Roman said:
exactly! thats a big reason why Roy should stay. his game marks the revival of the FE franchise. which is pretty darn important to the fanchise if you ask me! Marth was in the first one, so he deserves a spot. but if it wasn't for Roy, FE games would have stoped being made. he needs to be represented as such.[/FONT]
Yeah you have a point there. A very good point actually! But really, the GBA Fire Emblem might be the first ones which where released international but they have no future anymore. The GBA is pretty much dead right now. There are still games made for them, but the big titles all are going to the DS.

That, and Fire Emblem: PoR was the first console FE game, and FE10: Godness of Dawn for the Wii is a sequel to that game. I think it's more wise to represent the "new" generation of Fire Emblem than representing the FE games of the last generation... It would work pretty much like Roy, an advertising character with a much lesser notice (since the Fire Emblem franchise is already pretty much know).

I say Ike or Sothe would make a nice character for that... Ike even has the possibility of having a costume based of Roy, muchos like there was a costume based of Sigurd for Marth in SSBM.

T-major

Smash Champion
Yeah you have a point there. A very good point actually! But really, the GBA Fire Emblem might be the first ones which where released international but they have no future anymore. The GBA is pretty much dead right now. There are still games made for them, but the big titles all are going to the DS.

That, and Fire Emblem: PoR was the first console FE game, and FE10: Godness of Dawn for the Wii is a sequel to that game. I think it's more wise to represent the "new" generation of Fire Emblem than representing the FE games of the last generation... It would work pretty much like Roy, an advertising character with a much lesser notice (since the Fire Emblem franchise is already pretty much know).

I say Ike or Sothe would make a nice character for that... Ike even has the possibility of having a costume based of Roy, muchos like there was a costume based of Sigurd for Marth in SSBM.
true. but with that logic, Marth can't get in. seeing as he's way, way older then Roy. you have to remember that people from the last generation will be playing brawl, too. it would be wise to include last gen characters that they might recognise. also, who says they can't keep Roy, and add Ike or Slothe. I heard that the FE stage in Brawl is based on PoR (I might be wrong though). so if thats the case. Ike is pretty much a given. But roy deserves to be in more the Ike. becuase, as I said before; if it wasn't for Roy, we wouldn't have any new FE games.

Zink

Smash Champion
Def not Sothe, as he is absolutely terrible in PoR...
And this is the "return" thread, not the speculation thread, guys.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Ver 2.0 Edit: I've clarified a bit more how this list should be read. Check it out if you wish.

First off, I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm not entirely sure there will be a large increase in character amount - but there may be a large amount of new characters. I don't think it's a totally far-fetched idea that quite a handful of Melee characters are replaced, and the sum total ends up being around 26, but with all unique movesets and a good chunk of new faces. This is based partly on Sakurai's comment that last time it was difficult to get up to 26 characters, but this time they will try to do so again. It could mean get such a large increase again, or get a cast of about the same size again - which the latter would really only be difficult if there were major shake-ups in available characters.

That being said, here's the characters I think could get the boot, in order of likeliness; when a section says and/or, it means I think it is likely that at least one of those will be eliminated moreso than one from the group below it. So, even though Sheik is below Marth, it's not that I necessarily think Marth is less likely than Sheik, just that one of the FE characters being eliminated is more likely than Sheik being eliminated. Same with Falco and the Ice Climbers; I think it's more likely that one of the 'Classic' characters be eliminated than it is Falco, not that either one of them has a higher chance than Falco by themselves.:

1. Doctor Mario, Pichu, Young Link - These characters, even though I love Young Link, do not bring much of anything to the table. Not only are their movesets slightly modified versions of their clones, but their characters are as well. Even giving them unique movesets might not salvage these three, as they're just so... unremarkable. Sakurai likes unique characters, and these three are clones in more ways than one. Not to mention that Mario has stolen Doc's fair now, which seems to be a hint.

2. Marth and/or Roy - I'm leaning towards Marth being eliminated here. While it's debatable who is really a clone of who, remember SamuraiPanda's translations of Sakurai's comments; the one where he remarked on the man who was very pleased about Roy being in. While Marth is more popular to play as due to him being a better character, Roy seems to certainly be more 'famous' and liked by the general audience, and maybe, just maybe, even mean a bit more to Sakurai himself. So I'd vote for a revamped Roy and the elimination of Marth rather than vice verca. Of course, it's possible both could be cut and other FE characters are added in accordance with that FE stage.

3. Mr. Game & Watch and/or Ice Climbers - Both of these were very old, very obscure characters that never gained much popularity (IC somewhat in later years, but, eh). Now, Sakurai does like obscure or unique characters, but I think these two may be too obscure. The out-there characters, I believe, are there to make the player go "Oh, that guy? I would've never guessed, cool", whereas with these two most just thought "...Huh?" There's better oddballs to replace them with.

4. Falco - Falco is a relatively good choice from Starfox, but I'd say there's better ones, namely, Wolf and Krystal. If he comes back he should be at least Luigified, but I won't miss him if he doesn't return.

6. Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Sheik, Ness - I think these three are probably going to see a comeback, but who knows. I feel all four have a big enough chance of being eliminated to be considered. Ness is the only original character I can conceivably see being eliminated, but only if he is replaced by Lucas. Ganondorf is the same - only eliminated if he is replaced by another Zelda villain, perhaps even his 'Ganon' form.​

12 characters to cut is quite a bit, but after 3 or 4 I say it's pretty unlikely, along with both Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers being eliminated or both Marth and Roy being eliminated. We'll see though. I honestly wouldn't mind shedding off a chunk of less-than-stellar characters for fresh and interesting ones.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
1. Doctor Mario, Pichu, Young Link

2. Marth and/or Roy

3. Mr. Game & Watch; Ice Climbers

4. Falco

6. Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Sheik, Ness​

Wooah! Hold on there, your getting ahead of yourself. The first two are ok, G&W and IC's all the way at the bottom. Shiek above Marth, take Ness and Mewtwo out, Falco and Ganon at the very bottom.

P.S. You forgot a number 5

true. but with that logic, Marth can't get in.
That's the only sentence I need to analyze this whole post. It is highly unlikely that Roy will not make it, seing as how he is on the Gameboy Advanced which is an out of date system nowadays. Then you say that Marth is older? Than take him out as well. You answered your own argument. If you say Marth is less deserving than Roy, well Roy isn't all that deserving so boom...they're both gone.

Once the importance and history argument is out of the way, you must turn to popularity as the deciding factor, and what a surprise, Marth is more popular! More people talk about him than Roy, and he performed better in melee, so take Marth.

Don't take this post out of context, if you quote only pieces of it to make it seem like complete nonsense, than your the idiot here.​

T-major

Smash Champion
That's the only sentence I need to analyze this whole post. It is highly unlikely that Roy will not make it, seing as how he is on the Gameboy Advanced which is an out of date system nowadays. Then you say that Marth is older? Than take him out as well. You answered your own argument. If you say Marth is less deserving than Roy, well Roy isn't all that deserving so boom...they're both gone.

Once the importance and history argument is out of the way, you must turn to popularity as the deciding factor, and what a surprise, Marth is more popular! More people talk about him than Roy, and he performed better in melee, so take Marth.

Don't take this post out of context, if you quote only pieces of it to make it seem like complete nonsense, than your the idiot here.
... do you even know what I was responding too? I was trying to tell diddy kong that his logic about using new generation FE characters doesn't work. did you even read the rest of my post? didn't think so... not once did I say "Roy is more deserving then Marth". in fact, I even specificaly said that Marth was more deserving then any other FE character (this was a few posts back). Roy deserves to be in, because his game marks the revival of the franchise. FE was pretty much dead until FE6 was realesed. if it wasn't for Roy, they wouldn't even be making FE games today.

and Marth may have no better in melee. but seeing as melee perfomance dosen't matter in any way when it comes to Brawl characters. that rule dosn't mean anything. Marth may be more popular. but only because of the fact that he's better in melee. and seeing as melee performence dosn't matter, that rule also is nul and void.

and it's ironic that you tell me not to quote in bit's and pieces. when you seem to have only read one sentance of my post...

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
I think it would be crazy for them to get rid of the Ice Climbers. They are probably the most unique character in the game. ( Even though they are my main, I am not biased because I don't play them for the character, i just enjoy using them the most :) ) Also, I think it would be a bad idea to take out Ganondorf since he is the main villain in almost all the Zelda games and is a Triforce holder. Especially since Zelda is one of the most popular series of all time, it would make no sense to remove one of the most important characters from that series. As for Falco, I think he and Wolf are equally important, but both are important to the series so either could work (I want both) Krystal would be nice too since she is a little different.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
the one where he remarked on the man who was very pleased about Roy being in. While Marth is more popular to play as due to him being a better character, Roy seems to certainly be more 'famous' and liked by the general audience, and maybe, just maybe, even mean a bit more to Sakurai himself.
So one person goes up to Sakurai and says he likes Roy means he's more likely than Marth? What if that person said the same thing about Dr. Mario? And Sheik and Falco deserve to be above Marth and the IC's.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I think the High Tiered characters should stay.

E.G: Marth, Sheik, Falco etc.

Why? Because they were obviously good? Lol. I dunno, though. If they do put in Falco, Roy and all the other ones like that *e.g the clones* then they should have DIFFERENT attacks. =/

I would expect them to not have many, if any, clones in SSBB. If they did, man... seriously, it's just like an extra, like, a totally 'not thought out' character, how boring is that?

Although... I did like Fox AND Falco... <_<;; But meh.

Lame-o-not-liked-characters (not necessarily not liked, more like, not winning) such as Mewtwo should leave. That's just my opinion, though. Who knows?

gnosis

Smash Lord
So one person goes up to Sakurai and says he likes Roy means he's more likely than Marth? What if that person said the same thing about Dr. Mario? And Sheik and Falco deserve to be above Marth and the IC's.
You missed the point. It wasn't just that Sakurai commented on him; it was Roy's overall popularity compared to Marth's.

In my experiences (which are not contained to just a few friends I play with), Roy's always been a more popular character than Marth in the general Smash audience; he's not popular in the competitive region because he kinda sucks.

And he didn't 'go up to Sakurai'; any number of characters could've been brought to Sakurai's attention, but Sakurai himself chose to comment about this man's particular adoration of Roy, and I chose to use that as an example of his popularity.

It's entirely possible that Roy be eliminated instead of Marth, but most people have assumed Roy would see the axe; I don't think it's quite that clear. I s'pose I shouldn't have said Marth is -more- likely than Roy, just that Roy isn't the clear cut.

I disagree that both Sheik and Falco should be above Marth, and maybe the IC's. Like I said, at around 3 it starts getting messy. Also, I didn't rank these characters in terms of 'deservedness' anyway, I ranked them in terms of likeliness, as I saw the situation.

See Ver 2.0 of the list for a more detailed explanation.

Top Bottom