• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
^ In SMRPG, a Parasol was one of Peach's strongest weapons and used in battle, but not the way it's used in Melee. SO THEREFORE, she shouldn't use it that way[/sarcasm]

And I agree, MOVES WILL BE MADE UP (Captain Falcon, Fox, etc.) OR TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT (Dr. Mario, Peach, etc.) IN BRAWL!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
*sigh*

C.Falcon will stay, and so do Fox. Yellow Mage you don't know what your talking about. Removing Zelda and Ganondorf? Never, Zelda has an unique moveset. Ganondorf has potential of having his own moves. Which he will have in Brawl. ;) And why remove 2 of the most know/populair/important characters of the Zelda franchise?

Funny, I never heard you complain about Sheik's all made up moves.
You also know adult Link couldn't use his boomerang in OoT? You knew that DK can't fly like a helicopter? You knew that Ness his B moves all come from Paula? You knew that Luigi wasn't able to launch himself as a rocket in Mario games? You knew Mewtwo can't learn Disable or Teleport in Pokémon? Ect. ect. ect.

And as bijoukaiba said, Smash is about creativity. It's very creative of the devolpers to actually make up moves from characters who don't have them. Also Fox and C.Falcon are in Smash since the N64 Smash Bros. They'll never be removed. Neither does Falco. He also has potential of his own moves, just as Ganon. Plus Falco is populair, and important to the StarFox franchise. Removing him doesn't makes sence.

Now... Stop being a negative nancy.

woody72691

Smash Ace
ok i agree with diddy kong he has a very good point about characters who should stay because all because u don't like them doesn't mean they should get the boot. half of those characters r very popular so they should all stay u agree

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Well, going by that, we should remove at least 1/4 of the roster, if not more

Starfox was a revolutionary game o the SNES and one of the most fondly remembered games on the N64, why didn't it deserve rep? Oh, by the way, in SF 64 there was a secret "on-foot" option in versus mode, so you COULD play Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy in SF 64 directly

Now that's sad. F-Zero was a launch title for the SNES, and F-Zero X came out not too long after the N64 either, at least before SSB64 anyways.
Falco has probably the second biggest name representation in the SF games to date. Not only that, he's very cool. And aside from that, he's very popular. He's staying.
I think the "only previously played" thing is a bit silly. Who cares if you haven't played as CF yet? Now you can!
Kudos to hemightbegiant, I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

Yellow Mage, Nintendo includes characters from its most famous series... so of course people like Fox and C. Falcon were going to get in! Like Nintendo did with Zelda, Fox, and C. Falcon, they had to invent movesets for them. I personally found many of their techniques unique. Zelda's was particularly nice in creativity, invoking the powers of the goddesses Nayru, Farore, and Din... Even if Link was the one who relied on their powers in the game.

This game relies on CREATIVITY. Hence why Falco and Ganondorf will either be Luigified or completely remodeled. BTW, they're both almost definitely returning.:p

I guess you never knew then... Ganondorf WAS intended to have an original moveset, but due to pressed time he was made into a clone of Falcon. And once again, here is a MAJOR character put into the game!

Yes, I know Brawl will not feature clones. And LuigiTIZE pretty much = LuigiFY, the more frequently used term.
Wow, Yellow Mage, shut up. Please.

Your logic IS stupid. You're saying that nobody should have moves they didn't have before?

Well, ****. Let's take out Luigi's Super Green Missile, Dr Mario's pill-tossing, Peach's Toad, Peach's umbrella, Gannon's ENTIRE MOVELIST, Ice Climber's Iceblock and Frost, Fox and Falco's laser pistol, Fire Fox/Fire Bird, and the teleport, Ness' PK Flash (Because it didn't do knockback in Earthbound), Mewtwo's teleport, Captain Falcon's Punch, Kick, and Grab...

****, while we're at it, let's just take away Zelda's entire combat abilities! No B attacks, no A attacks, she can't smash, tilt, or neutral A or B anything! Her entire movelist consists of turning into Shiek (Who, by the way, has no chain or shiryukens).

See? It's a stupid game, and anyone can play it.
Before I say anything else, MiraiGen, Dr. Mario DID chuck pills (into a jar, :p) in his game, Peach's umbrella is from Super Mario RPG, changing the effects of PK Flash doesn't mean they didn't take it out of Earthbound and I'm fairly sure Mewtwo could learn teleport in the Pokemon games.

Though I will admit that saying a character should be cut due to not being playable in their respective games is the dumbest idea since a certain somebody said items should be removed completly from the series.
Oh, that's right...In Dr. Mario he tossed them upwards into the jar.

And when did Peach use the umbrella? Are we talking when she escaped the castle to go with you?

I stand corrected on those points, but you get the idea. Just because a character never used it in the game doesn't mean that it has no place in Smash. Just look at my list, sans the corrections, and see how many people would get ****ed by the game itself.

Oh, Samus wouldn't be able to Smash, Tilt, or Neutral A. She couldn't punch or kick in the games, so she can't do it in Smash. Simple.
^ In SMRPG, a Parasol was one of Peach's strongest weapons and used in battle, but not the way it's used in Melee. SO THEREFORE, she shouldn't use it that way[/sarcasm]

And I agree, MOVES WILL BE MADE UP (Captain Falcon, Fox, etc.) OR TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT (Dr. Mario, Peach, etc.) IN BRAWL!
*sigh*

C.Falcon will stay, and so do Fox. Yellow Mage you don't know what your talking about. Removing Zelda and Ganondorf? Never, Zelda has an unique moveset. Ganondorf has potential of having his own moves. Which he will have in Brawl. ;) And why remove 2 of the most know/populair/important characters of the Zelda franchise?

Funny, I never heard you complain about Sheik's all made up moves.
You also know adult Link couldn't use his boomerang in OoT? You knew that DK can't fly like a helicopter? You knew that Ness his B moves all come from Paula? You knew that Luigi wasn't able to launch himself as a rocket in Mario games? You knew Mewtwo can't learn Disable or Teleport in Pokémon? Ect. ect. ect.

And as bijoukaiba said, Smash is about creativity. It's very creative of the devolpers to actually make up moves from characters who don't have them. Also Fox and C.Falcon are in Smash since the N64 Smash Bros. They'll never be removed. Neither does Falco. He also has potential of his own moves, just as Ganon. Plus Falco is populair, and important to the StarFox franchise. Removing him doesn't makes sence.

Now... Stop being a negative nancy.
I'm getting tired of seeing a topic for every single character in Melee asking if they will return.

We've got absolutely NO idea who will return.

So I made this topic. Talk about who should return, and why.

Going by what moderator McFox said, I don't think anybody should be flaming anybody, because I did exactly what this thread was about: "Talk about who should return, and why."

I honestly don't give a **** how popular whoever is, they would really never had that popularity if they weren't put into melee in the first place, thus thier popularity skyrockets, and therefore they'll be in the next game!?! :confused: Personally, I HATE self-fullfiling prophecies.

Big Deal if charactors WHO WERE PLAYABLE were given a few farfetched moves, they could still be played in another non-SSB game to fight! That's really what matters to me. If you could play them and they could fight, and as long as most of thier moves are fairly accurate, then so what if they picked up a few more along the way.

What I don't like is if you were nothing but a racecar driver who could from out of the blue, suddenly throw a superpowered punch at people, or if you never left your cockpit, you suddenly gain overpowered technology later known as "the shine." And let us stick to SSB's roots, for the ultimate SSB game! For, if you would notice, NO NPC was EVER playable in SSB64. creativity DOES come into play, but let us not go crazy.

All I did was state my opinion and why I thought it, and I get called an idiot. Typical society. . .

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What I don't like is if you were nothing but a racecar driver who could from out of the blue, suddenly throw a superpowered punch at people, or if you never left your cockpit, you suddenly gain overpowered technology later known as "the shine." And let us stick to SSB's roots, for the ultimate SSB game! For, if you would notice, NO NPC was EVER playable in SSB64. creativity DOES come into play, but let us not go crazy.

All I did was state my opinion and why I thought it, and I get called an idiot. Typical society. . .
I never tried to flame you. I was just saying that it wouldn't make sence to cut characters with your reasons. I mean, you are right someway though. If anyone would suggest Captain Falcon now with his Melee moveset. I would probarly laugh.

Smash64 had no NPC characters because... Well the game had only a few characters.
C.Falcon might be the only real weird character in Smash64.

I see your looking at Smash more realistic then we all do. Which isn't bad or anything... But Smash really isn't a realistic game at all. But don't worry, I respect your oppinions, I just don't agree with them. ;)

woody72691

Smash Ace
I never tried to flame you. I was just saying that it wouldn't make sence to cut characters with your reasons. I mean, you are right someway though. If anyone would suggest Captain Falcon now with his Melee moveset. I would probarly laugh.

Smash64 had no NPC characters because... Well the game had only a few characters.

I see your looking at Smash more realistic then we all do. Which isn't bad or anything... But Smash really isn't a realistic game at all. But don't worry, I respect your oppinions, I just don't agree with them. ;)
yes i do to i'm not trying to get on someones bad side

increase my rep please i didn't do anything

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman

Eh, you're cool, but my above comment was really mostly aimed at MiraiGen and hemightbegiant. Thanks for understanding :) .

And I'm sorry for lashing at you, too, woody72691.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace

I never called you an idiot.

Your logic was broken - I was pointing out it's faults. I do understand the whole "Captain Falcon" thing, but Nintendo had to work within it's own franchises (AKA Make **** Up) and I don't see how it's a bad thing at all that they had to do that.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said your logic was stupid. I'll concede that.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Going by what moderator McFox said, I don't think anybody should be flaming anybody, because I did exactly what this thread was about: "Talk about who should return, and why."

I honestly don't give a **** how popular whoever is, they would really never had that popularity if they weren't put into melee in the first place, thus thier popularity skyrockets, and therefore they'll be in the next game!?! :confused: Personally, I HATE self-fullfiling prophecies.

Big Deal if charactors WHO WERE PLAYABLE were given a few farfetched moves, they could still be played in another non-SSB game to fight! That's really what matters to me. If you could play them and they could fight, and as long as most of thier moves are fairly accurate, then so what if they picked up a few more along the way.

I never ment for my post to be taken like that, but I apologize now. Personally, I don't think if you ever played as the charcter him/herself in the game, they don't deserve to be in smash, I just find that ludicrous, especially when they have such awesome potential like CF (Bounty hunter), Fox (Technological fox from the future), Zelda (Magic from being a sage AND holding the Triforce of wisdom, also transforms into ninja kind of implies that she has ninja skills), Gannondorf (Lord of evil with really big sword and magic skills), and well, you get it. Once again I apologize if my previous posts offended you. BTW, CF was playable in not one, but TWO games, SSB64 and SSBM :p

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. . .now that I think of it, Sakurai stated that charactors from SSBM would be removed (duh, that's what started this in the first place). Well, maybe, JUST maybe, he meant that for the ultimate smash game, he'd cut out the NPCs. Think about it: no NPCs in SSB64, then NPCs in SSBM, then an announcement that some charactors suddenly will be cut? That, to me, now that I think about it, means removal of all NPCs.

But that's just me. Thinking. I still think that NPCs, clones, and special non-fighting cases like Captain Falcon and Falco should all be cut (oddly, Falco fits in all of the above categories, thus effectively summarizing my "Falco FTL" arguement).

icymatt

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon will never be taken out. And if you want to know where Captain Falcon got his moves, go watch a Japanese superhero TV show.

Considering that Sakurai mentioned that 'returning characters, in a significant way, would be revamped', it almost hints that he's talking about clones exclusively. Why would they 'significantly' revamp characters with original movesets?

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Sorry, I didn't wish to sound like I was flaming either. A slight tease (in good fun), maybe... but not actual flaming. :)

The slight anger I showed for C. Falcon... well, he's one of my mains, so of course I'd defend him. I just overdid it. It wasn't as bad as when I went ballistic on someone who wanted Ness removed (I was sick that day anyway). O_o

And yes, icymatt's comment about the superhero moveset is very true. XD Although F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu (the F-Zero anime) was released a few years after Melee, Captain Falcon acts very superhero-ish in it. Just watch the "Falcon Punch" video on Youtube, you'll see the point. :laugh:

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon will never be taken out. And if you want to know where Captain Falcon got his moves, go watch a Japanese superhero TV show.
Or go watch Power Rangers and add in super-flashy fire on the Rangers' hands.

Considering that Sakurai mentioned that 'returning characters, in a significant way, would be revamped', it almost hints that he's talking about clones exclusively. Why would they 'significantly' revamp characters with original movesets?
That's what I'm thinking.

Since there's only been two incarnations of SSB, we can't be sure it works like Guilty Gear - Whenever a character is added, he's in for good. Though I would love to see clones altered so they're unique.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
This is to homsar. seriously dude you have got issues. ROY should return!!!
Why? He was just a clone and just in for advertising. In his game he is just like his in SSBM a clone, he can't be unique and he doesn't even have an interesting personality to make up for it (go away Lord deathborne I have explained time and time again to you about my anti Roy comments)

Yellow Mage you have the most faulty logic ever really, you want Fox to get Krystal's staff and you want Falco to be removed and you proabably want Zelda, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon and other NPCs removed too. Also the DKC series had no help from Mario starting off. I don't know how you think that it did. DKC is NOT a mario spin off, they both spawned from the DK arcade game.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so now Captain Falcon is in an anime, released years after SSBM, with the moves he had in SSBM?

Again, I hate self-fulfilling prophecies.

And, should Roy be "in a significant way, revamped," then I'm all for his return. A few more (unique) FE charactors (Ike comes to mind) wouldn't hurt the representation of the game, either.

And, sorry about the Fox with Krystal's staff thing: if Krystal should be in the game, SHE should have the staff (my bad, I never got to finish Starfox Adventures). But, still, I'm NOT worried about the safety of "the shine." Mostly because I'm confident it'll be removed in favor of a more beliveable Fox moveset.

icymatt

Smash Lord
The Reflector won't be removed. It was added in the first place because it seemed like an appropriate piece of Sci-Fi equipment, plus it's just a cool idea.

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so now Captain Falcon is in an anime, released years after SSBM, with the moves he had in SSBM?

Again, I hate self-fulfilling prophecies.

And, should Roy be "in a significant way, revamped," then I'm all for his return. A few more (unique) FE charactors (Ike comes to mind) wouldn't hurt the representation of the game, either.

And, sorry about the Fox with Krystal's staff thing: if Krystal should be in the game, SHE should have the staff (my bad, I never got to finish Starfox Adventures). But, still, I'm NOT worried about the safety of "the shine." Mostly because I'm confident it'll be removed in favor of a more beliveable Fox moveset.

Oh yeah, just wait for the ending! I personally found it thrilling! All I will say is yes, she takes the staff back at the end. What part are you stuck on? PM me and I might be able to help. ;)

mDuo13

Smash Rookie
Does nobody realize that they're going to tweak even the mainstay characters with existing movesets? Just like they changed Link's smash to have a second swing, added electricity to Pikachu's downsmash, and so forth, we'll see some of those sorts of changes in Brawl. No character will have exactly the same moveset as Melee.

Fox will definitely be back, and the shine is going to stay, though it might not spike any more.

I think Ganondorf should return as the Wind Waker version, with two swords. Having him be cel-shaded in the midst of all the high-detail models (like Game&Watch is 2d amidst a sea of 3d) would be pretty interesting, though it seems unlikely.

I would not mind seeing Young Link or Pikachu go. Falco can go, too, but I'll miss him because I like the way his attacks flow better than I like Fox's, but then again, that'll all change in Brawl anyway.

I would rather see Mewtwo in the new version than even Jigglypuff (even though Jiggs is probably my best character) because Mewtwo's just got the right style. Hopefully his moveset tweak will make him better, though. Jigglypuff can come back, too, though - her moveset is pretty cool and she's surprisingly powerful in Melee. (Yes, I call Jigglypuff "her". Go figure.)

Ness should come back because Earthbound is cool and different, plus that new Earthbound GBA game came out in Japan this past year - again, tweaking to make him a little better would be nice.

I don't care about Luigi, but he probably has to return just because of who he is. If we're lucky, he'll get a Poltergust or something and branch out a bit more.

Ice Climbers and Game & Watch... well, they're not major franchises any more, but they're interesting characters at least. I could see them going either way.

Dr. Mario should get the boot. I don't see how they can branch him out from Mario enough to make him more worthwhile than other characters on this list.

I'd also lose Pichu before the others - by definition, he just has to be similar to Pikachu. And that's just a waste.

Young Link, too, can go, but probably won't. Honestly, though, Link's moves aren't that different from youth to adult to make a believable moveset for Young Link that's at all different from adult link.

Captain Falcon should stay. He's fine as he is.

Bowser - well, we have a new Mario villain in Wario, but on the other hand, Bowser is kind of important... Maybe if he played a bit better. I just think there are unnecessarily many Mario characters already.

Marth and Roy - well, if their movesets were differentiated, maybe. I don't care which one goes, but it's probably a waste to have two of them. I'd rather see some female Fire Emblem character (don't know who there is to choose from), which might make for good reason to replace...

Peach - I don't think she's necessary. Though she did get that DS platformer recently. Could be worse, I guess, and the game definitely needs some women to make a gender balance here.

Speaking of gender balance, there's the case of Zelda/Sheik. If she stays, she should still transform, but would have to make the two characters both playable so there's a reason to transform back into Zelda on occasion. If that's too difficult, I could see a Twilight Princess sword-wielding Zelda that doesn't transform working out OK, with or without a separate Sheik.

(oh, and this is the wrong topic, but Krystal would also be a nice case of adding gender balance, I suppose, if Peach or Sheik were dropped.)

Scorchgid

Smash Cadet
bowser need to be improved as he the ultimet villan in the mario games Pikachu can't go as he an all star but i also wouldent mind faclo go but its like he become part of the gameso we kinda need him there but Pichu should go as its a more rubbish vesion of Pikachu and youg like needs to be more like the wind waker version cell shader and all peach we need that so all the girls and sissy won't complaing and we can trash them because we like to plus she an all star as well as metwo needs to be more contorlable as he keeps spining off the stage and his attacts are cr***

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Why? He was just a clone and just in for advertising. In his game he is just like his in SSBM a clone, he can't be unique and he doesn't even have an interesting personality to make up for it (go away Lord deathborne I have explained time and time again to you about my anti Roy comments)
We're hoping he's not just a clone.

Also - Why would they advertise an almost two-decade old game? Marth was only in the first series of Fire Emblem, and Roy only appeared briefly for the GBA's FE game. Advertisement? No, it's just japanese FE Fan appeasement.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, just wait for the ending! I personally found it thrilling! All I will say is yes, she takes the staff back at the end. What part are you stuck on? PM me and I might be able to help. ;)
Actually, I knida lost it, but I didn't ever lose it. . .let's just say it's a long story, and if I ever get to play it from where I left it last again, THEN I'll see if I can remember to ask you for help :dizzy: .

Also, mDuo13, why would you not mind seeing Pikachu go? He's the ICON of the Pokemon series! He was in not only SSB64, but in the SSB64 commercial!!! Otherwise, he's confirmed, anyway :p .

icymatt

Smash Lord

Also - Why would they advertise an almost two-decade old game? Marth was only in the first series of Fire Emblem, and Roy only appeared briefly for the GBA's FE game. Advertisement? No, it's just japanese FE Fan appeasement.
He was advertisment for the first GBA FE, the one the US didn't get, which came out a few months after Melee. The first US FE game is the prequel to the game Roy starred in.

Also, Bowser and Peach ARE COMPLETELY necessary, and Wario is not a Mario villain anymore, he's his own man.

VIPERleader

Smash Rookie
After the big uproar when I said that Jigglypuff might get cut, I decided to go back and try Jigglypuff. It was when my friends came over (they never use Jigglypuff either, until now), and when I used rest and one went flying, he said "W...T...F...was....that...."

Thanks to everyone who told me to try Jigglypuff!

Bashura

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry to just jump in like this but every time I see a thread on any forum discussing chars for brawl, I see countless people saying to give Doc the boot? Why does everybody hate Doc so much? Sure his moves are identical in appearance to Marios, although with slightly different properties, but come on. All returning chars in Brawl will certainly have their moves tweaked. Doc could easily wind up with a completly different fighting style from Mario. Just look at Luigi. He was completely identical to Mario in the origional SSB64, but in SSBM, his moves and properties were changed to the point where his fighting style only remotely resembles his heavier counterpart. Besides, its not like Doc is the only char with moves identical to another. Fox - Falco Cpt Falcon - Gannondorf Link - Young Link Marth - Roy Pikachu - Pichu (there may be another but I cant think of any more off the top of my head). Hell even the fighting wire frames were clones. The male wireframe a clone of Cpt Falcon, and the female a clone of Zelda. With all of this I ask of you, why do you people hate Doc so much? Sorry if you think I'm being mean. I'm not trying to. It just doesnt make sense why Doc should go but other clones can stay. Also, why complain about "pointless" characters? Even if we do wind up with plenty of clones, so what? Even just having slightly different qualities to the moves makes a char worth having. It's almost like having a customized character. You can choose between fox or falco depending on how you want the moves to work and whatnot. Further still, more characters means more variety, even with clones. Go play Marvel vs Capcom 2 and tell me having a massive character list doesnt make a game more fun. And yes, it had clones too. Not as many, but it still had its clones. I say lets have SSBB have the biggest fighting game roster ever. I understand those of you who think having more chars will mean the developers will spend less time on the other aspects of the game, but I seriously doubt Nintendo will dissapoint us, no matter what happens during the games production. Let all SSBM chars stay and add as many more as possible. Let the Brawl begin and have a blast.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm sorry to just jump in like this but every time I see a thread on any forum discussing chars for brawl, I see countless people saying to give Doc the boot? Why does everybody hate Doc so much? Sure his moves are identical in appearance to Marios, although with slightly different properties, but come on. All returning chars in Brawl will certainly have their moves tweaked. Doc could easily wind up with a completly different fighting style from Mario. Just look at Luigi. He was completely identical to Mario in the origional SSB64, but in SSBM, his moves and properties were changed to the point where his fighting style only remotely resembles his heavier counterpart. Besides, its not like Doc is the only char with moves identical to another. Fox - Falco Cpt Falcon - Gannondorf Link - Young Link Marth - Roy Pikachu - Pichu (there may be another but I cant think of any more off the top of my head). Hell even the fighting wire frames were clones. The male wireframe a clone of Cpt Falcon, and the female a clone of Zelda. With all of this I ask of you, why do you people hate Doc so much? Sorry if you think I'm being mean. I'm not trying to. It just doesnt make sense why Doc should go but other clones can stay. Also, why complain about "pointless" characters? Even if we do wind up with plenty of clones, so what? Even just having slightly different qualities to the moves makes a char worth having. It's almost like having a customized character. You can choose between fox or falco depending on how you want the moves to work and whatnot. Further still, more characters means more variety, even with clones. Go play Marvel vs Capcom 2 and tell me having a massive character list doesnt make a game more fun. And yes, it had clones too. Not as many, but it still had its clones. I say lets have SSBB have the biggest fighting game roster ever. I understand those of you who think having more chars will mean the developers will spend less time on the other aspects of the game, but I seriously doubt Nintendo will dissapoint us, no matter what happens during the games production. Let all SSBM chars stay and add as many more as possible. Let the Brawl begin and have a blast.
The problem with Dr.Mario is that he just is Mario except he wears a doctor's suit.
Sure there are diffrences, but in general, the two characters can be played in the same style.
And it's already confirmed that some characters will be cut... Doc was the very first character which came to my mind to be cutted.

Also people are just defending Dr.Mario because:
1) Doc is their main.
2) He's higher on the tierlist than Mario.

And just as you said, characters are gonna be tweaked. If lets say, Mario would be higher on the tierlist than Doc in Brawl, would YOU still play him?
Doc also doesn't has the potential of being an original character. Falco and Ganondorf do, that's why I want them to stay. Let's just face reality, Dr.Mario IS just Mario wearing a doctor's suit.

Oh and Marvel Vs Capcom is not a game I'd like to compare Smash with...

Bashura

Smash Rookie
The problem with Dr.Mario is that he just is Mario except he wears a doctor's suit.
Sure there are diffrences, but in general, the two characters can be played in the same style.
And it's already confirmed that some characters will be cut... Doc was the very first character which came to my mind to be cutted.

Also people are just defending Dr.Mario because:
1) Doc is their main.
2) He's higher on the tierlist than Mario.

And just as you said, characters are gonna be tweaked. If lets say, Mario would be higher on the tierlist than Doc in Brawl, would YOU still play him?
Doc also doesn't has the potential of being an original character. Falco and Ganondorf do, that's why I want them to stay. Let's just face reality, Dr.Mario IS just Mario wearing a doctor's suit.

Oh and Marvel Vs Capcom is not a game I'd like to compare Smash with...
Well I wont lie. You are correct. Doc is my main and of course that is why I'm defending him. You are also right in that both chars emplore an identical strategy. But the characters' strategies differences really shine in the high end. I'm also sorry to hear that some characters will be cut. However, if you compare Doc to Luigi, I think he can be an origional character. As I said before, Luigi was completly identical to Mario in SSB64, but now his style only half-way resembles Mario's. His arials are similar in appearance, but VERY different. He has his own smash-B, and most of his moves work VERY differently from Mario. Not to mention he is WAY slower on the ground, he's much lighter and thusly easier to send flying, he jumps higher, he has a serious nack for air superiority, and he has terrible traction which naturally makes him slide the most out of all the current chars. He seems to resemble his properties from Super Mario Bros 2 more than anything else. It may be selfish, and probably childish too, but I dont want to see Doc go. With enough imagination, I believe Doc can stand out from his plumber personality. He already does when you look at him deeper than the surface. Also, sorry you didnt like the MVC2 comparison. I only compared them because they are both fighting games. It's true that SSB is nothing like any other fighting game, but it IS still a fighting game. Just a different kind.

*edit* Forgot to adress the tier list issue. I've actually only recently learned of the tier structure used to classify characters. I never knew about it before. I origionally chose Doc out of a simple matter of taste. Later on, after playing extensively with both Doc and Mario, I prefered Doc because I liked the way his moves work better. Doc's arials had higher priority than Mario's, and I found Mario's forward arial useless unless used on a foe attempting to recover while Doc's simply launched the opponent up and away. I chose Doc very early on in my smash life and even after pitting him against his origional personality, I just overall liked Doc better. Anyways, I'm not trying to say who is right and who is wrong, I just dont want to see my favorite char get cut.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Well I wont lie. You are correct. Doc is my main and of course that is why I'm defending him. You are also right in that both chars emplore an identical strategy. But the characters' strategies differences really shine in the high end. I'm also sorry to hear that some characters will be cut. However, if you compare Doc to Luigi, I think he can be an origional character. As I said before, Luigi was completly identical to Mario in SSB64, but now his style only half-way resembles Mario's.
The changes to him and Mario vs the other clones and their origins, are almost infintessimally small.

They might Luigify him, but it's much more likely they'd just make him an alternate costume.

That, and Sakurai said "Characters are going." We're speculating as to who.

xianfeng

Smash Hero

Roy was added to advertise his game which came out shortley after melee.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well I wont lie. You are correct. Doc is my main and of course that is why I'm defending him. You are also right in that both chars emplore an identical strategy. But the characters' strategies differences really shine in the high end. I'm also sorry to hear that some characters will be cut. However, if you compare Doc to Luigi, I think he can be an origional character. As I said before, Luigi was completly identical to Mario in SSB64, but now his style only half-way resembles Mario's. His arials are similar in appearance, but VERY different. He has his own smash-B, and most of his moves work VERY differently from Mario. Not to mention he is WAY slower on the ground, he's much lighter and thusly easier to send flying, he jumps higher, he has a serious nack for air superiority, and he has terrible traction which naturally makes him slide the most out of all the current chars. He seems to resemble his properties from Super Mario Bros 2 more than anything else. It may be selfish, and probably childish too, but I dont want to see Doc go. With enough imagination, I believe Doc can stand out from his plumber personality. He already does when you look at him deeper than the surface. Also, sorry you didnt like the MVC2 comparison. I only compared them because they are both fighting games. It's true that SSB is nothing like any other fighting game, but it IS still a fighting game. Just a different kind.

*edit* Forgot to adress the tier list issue. I've actually only recently learned of the tier structure used to classify characters. I never knew about it before. I origionally chose Doc out of a simple matter of taste. Later on, after playing extensively with both Doc and Mario, I prefered Doc because I liked the way his moves work better. Doc's arials had higher priority than Mario's, and I found Mario's forward arial useless unless used on a foe attempting to recover while Doc's simply launched the opponent up and away. I chose Doc very early on in my smash life and even after pitting him against his origional personality, I just overall liked Doc better. Anyways, I'm not trying to say who is right and who is wrong, I just dont want to see my favorite char get cut.

Yes they could ofcoarse do that with Doc to.
I would really like to see that but... I don't see this happening.

Luigi has a more nervous and cowardly nature, he also is very diffrent from Mario in the Super Mario games. With his most noticable one, being able to jump much higher, but moving a little slippery.

Dr.Mario is a character I couldn't see that happening to, because ofcoarse, he stays Mario with a doctors suit. :(

Btw I prefer Doc over Mario to in Melee.

icymatt

Smash Lord
If Dr.Mario comes back, he'll play very little like he did in Melee. He'd probably have a really weird moveset.

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
My two cents, the whole thing about charactors being cut could have all been a scare to keep everybody in suspense as well as in the dark.

But, imo, Doc just isn't coming back. . .and niether is Pichu. . .nor Young Link. . .nor Mr. Game & Watch. . .nor Captain Falcon. . .nor Ganondorf. . .nor Zelda/Shiek. . .nor Mewtwo. . .AND (I already have about a thousand people that hate me at this point, so time for the coup de gras) definately NOT Falco.

That, IF 100% accuracte, will cut nine members (including two pokemon. . .I don't want Pichu or Mewtwo to go, but it'll be for the best intent of the game), thus creating TONS of room for newcomers (minus the five already confirmed newcomers, of course) to the game (I want three to maybe four pokemon to come back in place of the two going, personally).

icymatt

Smash Lord
*Sigh* Let's not go through this again.

It's quite obvious that the Smash Bros. creators don't share your view. And none of the other fans do, either.

At this point, it almost seems like you're trolling.

And that is the end of that.

Bashura

Smash Rookie
Well there's really nothing more to say. We can want what we want, but we're not the developers. The choice of who goes isnt up to us. There's an official nintendo questionaire thing for submitting ideas for new chars, but its only on the japanese website so good luck there. If you even found it and answered, they'd probably throw it out unless you happen to know japanese and have a computer that can make the characters of the written language. I personally dont want to see Doc go, but I wasnt directing that at the developers, I was directing that at people who immedietly pointed the finger at Doc when it became apparent that not all characters would stay. People say he's no different from Mario because they either dont have an open mind, or have some deeper reason for why they dont like Doc. Its typically people who either cant use him at all, or get owned by some one who does. I wish that every character could stay and I wont point fingers at who should go. Its not up to me or any of us.

Top Bottom