• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I think Paper Mario should be an alternate costume for Mr. Game and Watch since they have similar dimensions, Paper Mario wouldn't look too out of place with Mr. Game and Watch's attacks (in full color, of course), and it'll be hard to justify giving one person two slots again. And there's not much they could do with Mr. Game and Watch costume wise. :/

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I think Paper Mario should be an alternate costume for Mr. Game and Watch since they have similar dimensions, Paper Mario wouldn't look too out of place with Mr. Game and Watch's attacks (in full color, of course), and it'll be hard to justify giving one person two slots again. And there's not much they could do with Mr. Game and Watch costume wise. :/
I don't know, I can't really see Paper Mario doing some of Mr. Game & Watch's attacks.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I don't like the idea of Paper Mario being in Brawl. I know Mario and Paper Mario couldn't possiby be clones, but since they're both Mario, it would reduce diversity. Also, as a big Paper Mario fan, I like to think that Paper Mario and Mario are the same character ^_^

Stryks

Smash Hero
Devastlian sayin paper mario should be an alt. costume for GaW is like saying Diddy should be an alt. costume for DK, just give him a hat and t shirt and there u go...

blackmagicmoe

Smash Rookie
i cant really support this idea because ive never really played a paper mario game.. but he sounds like a decent character and could have a decent moveset if he was in and Sakuri gave him a good moveset

not sure if i spelled Sakuri right.. here we go again with the n00bs lol.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be satisfied with that. Having a costume of a character is not the same as having the whole character. I'm not here before you to say that Paper Mario deserves a spot, but he certaily does not deserve to be a costume for an older character, especially considering how unique and amazing he could be as a seperate character.

Stryks

Smash Hero
^^^
Rhyme hit the nail on the head, seeing paper mario use the chair attack, the spray thing (neutral A), the UPB, ABA, ADA and basically ALL of GaWs moves wouldnt fit, like I said its like making Diddy and alt costume for DK, jiggly and alt. costume for kirby, and so on...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't think they'll make costumes, it would be an excuse for not adding certain characters.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Who started this whole Paper Mario discussion? >_<
Personally, I like Doc, but I don't want him in Brawl there is such a thing as being too alike. If there was another Mario, it should be one that is different in functionality like Paper Mario, who has a better known branch of games (well, I like to think so), and would fight far differently to the real one. Doc was cool but his time is up.

Yesssss, the Star Wolf theme!!!
Here is your culprit! This was back roughly one page ago, I forget the exact means of our comming upon Paper Mario, but it happened. The discussion was inevitable since we were talking about replacement characters, you almost had to come across the most logical substitute for the doctor.

Anyway, I've said all I want to say regarding Paper Mario for the time being, so there's one half-baked answer to your question.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
What the?! I'm missing for 1 day and this happens, come on people! I wasn't saying Paper Mario SHOULD be in, I was saying Doc would always be a clone of Mario, because he was in a puzzle game and wouldn't have many creative moves of his own.

Sheesh...

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
The only thing I'm concerned about at all is Roy Returning. He can keep the same moves or they can change him a bit, but I figure he should be kept the same. I mean, Mario's moves and luigi's moves haven't changed all that much. (Well, Luigi's has). But Roy shouldn't be cut simply because they think he is a "clone" of marth.
What they don't realize is that Roy and Marth are immensley Different. Roy's Sword has a different sweet spot than Marth's. Roys down A spikes different. The third input of his DED (Which is stronger than Marth's blade dance) Catches them on fire on the last one, and the third input up is a meteor spike. Ontop of that he always has a stronger counter, and better opportunities for combos and speed (If used right) Roy should be a definate contender, and I dare any of you to say otherwise, or i"ll have the pwn the **** out of you.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Not really Ragnarok's
Roy's amazing in melee and he will pwn all non-believers.
:) I do love Roy in Melee and I'm with you that he's a viable fighter, however, all discussion here should be limited to what we know of the character outside of Melee.

What the?! I'm missing for 1 day and this happens, come on people! I wasn't saying Paper Mario SHOULD be in, I was saying Doc would always be a clone of Mario, because he was in a puzzle game and wouldn't have many creative moves of his own.

Sheesh...
I was just messing with you, don't take it to heart.;) Quite seriously, all I did was search back for the earliest post that had "Paper Mario" in it, just as a funny way to answer MasterGary's question. Nothing negative intended.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I was just messing with you, don't take it to heart.;) Quite seriously, all I did was search back for the earliest post that had "Paper Mario" in it, just as a funny way to answer MasterGary's question. Nothing negative intended.
Nah, it's alright. I was actually laughing at the fact that people ignored the point of the topic. We should be discussing the SSBM characters that haven't returned yet. I just said Paper Mario would be better in order to point out Doc's flaws, and didn't intend for this big discussion on him.

Anyways, Roy was cool and I think he should return, but his popularity in Melee is all he has going for him. Many regard the later released game that featured him as a failure. So, I think I one of the characters with a lower chance of returning. Oh, and Sigurd was supposed to replace him anyway.

AquaJoe

Smash Rookie
I hope doc stays, I hope that he is like mario, but with major differences, not just a pointless clone.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes! gannondorf and C.F aren't even from the same game series yet they have similar movesets! Give gannondorf his own moveset and voila! Including the sword.
Sword=yae! He should keep some physical attacks, and be focused around his sword! Then we will get a Ganondorf vs. Link experience like no other!

It wouldn't be Super Smash without Ness. He was unbelievable in the original. The problem in Melee is his slowed speed and delayed reaction time, especially while down smashing in the air - that was such an awesome move in Smash, but in Melee, it sucks. Also, his standing down smash - that **** yoyo - just sucks. If he is improved, he should definitely stay.
Ness owns! Any little kid with a baseball bat and Psi owns, bu he's gotta use his yo-yo a lot less! Plus PK Fire has to be more like in SSB 64! SSBB-Ness=me mad as hell! Sakurai doing that=me going crazy! All the original 12 are returing, period! Ness is no acception.

i believe dr mario is either confirmed hes not coming back or he is the most likely.
Agreed! He's only in some oddball Tetris like game (no offence), and he would need serious thinking to return anew! Otherwise (and most likely) he's gone.

I'll be right there beside assisting you by putting dynamite on Nintendo's public property. Then we will give Sakurai an ultimatium: Add Falco or you'll have to start over from scratch.
Keep Falco, or suffer! Same with YLink, but make him TWW Link. He is one of the most popular SSBM characters, and the overall fanbase would be mad as hell if he didn't return (me too). His leaving would destroy SSBB, or any sequals, and would be a grave mistake.

i dont think mewtwo will make it i mean cmon he is lowest of low tear for a reason. and the average person was never good with him/it...? anyways yea...i vote for toad to b in and mew2 out...:)
Then you've never met me. If they remove Mewtwo they'll be removing one of the only 3 psychic characters (the others are Ness & Zelda) in SSBM, and also is one of the 3 villain characters (others are Ganondorf & Bowser). Why dump what you can improve, plus he's one of the most popular Pokemon characters=#2 selling series of all time (behind Mario only). Removing him would be the real mistake. He would own Toad, but I still want Toad!

This is my personal list of likelyness of in danger characters returning:
Doc-10% If anyone leaves, Doc leaves, it is as simple as that.
Pichu-17% Good as gone. Noone likes him, but he did bring a younger audience to like the series.
Shiek-35% She's only in 1 LOZ game, OOT. Despite originality, she is simply unpopular!
Roy-45% He is only liked in North America & Europe by mainly non FE fans. FE fans want other FE characters over him for the most part.
Ice Climbers-75% Chances are increasing, and are true originals, though I feel need better AI control, that actually follow you!
YLink-95% Probably gonna be Hero of The Winds from TWW, and considering The Wind Waker is the Gamecube's #4 best seller (only behind SSBM), & Phantom Hourglass features the same Link, he is next to eminent.
G&W-98% He's a true epic classic that really helped kick Nintendo start. Good as returning!

All others have basically are basically in, and I doubt more than 3 or 4 will be cut, because any more will be a grave mistake on Nintendo's part that could leave a scar on the company, and could lead to serious loss of fanbase! Nintendo could seriously suffer from removing certain characters. How wierd would this game be w/o Mario? I am not recomending removing him, he's awsome, just tring to prove a point. A move 1/2 as stupid as that (though he's confirmed) could possibly put a permanate scar on Nintendo's fanbase!

Considering they're smarter and more cautious than that, at least 22 SSBM characters should return easily. 23 most likely, but this makes me wonder...will SSBB have downloadable content? Maybe even downloadable items, courses, and returning or new characters! I really wonder, hey does anyone else if SSBB will have downloadble content?:confused:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Roy needs a different sword, maybe a 2 handed sword [as in a sword you have to use 2 hands to use correctly].

@ John:

No one really cares about YL, look at tiers, the YL melee forum, and look for vids. Hardly anyone uses him and he's a clone so his chances are lower. And if Doc is out so is he since Doc =mario and YL = Link.

And why do you want Nana [ the AI IC] to follow better? Desynching is the best part about them, you don't know your characters do you?

MasterGary

Smash Ace
Red Exodus there is no point in trying to change John's mind about Y.Link. I was trying a good few pages ago and after a while I just gave up because it's pointless.

And there is nothing wrong with the IC's just how they are.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I suppose, I bet he's going to make another argument but I'm just showing him facts. I don't hate YL, I think he's a cool character, but he's so similar to Link it's hard to like him because Link is limited to begin with.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
I suppose, I bet he's going to make another argument but I'm just showing him facts. I don't hate YL, I think he's a cool character, but he's so similar to Link it's hard to like him because Link is limited to begin with.
i never thought id hear anybody say that! for a character who is known for having an extremely large variety of tools, not to mention a sword, i think coming up with a good moveset would be one of the easiest things (compared to other characters). its also fun to note that they have other characters whose entire movesets are based around swords... add in all of links gear, and you could have quite a few different and unique full movesets.

now, as for which is better...? well, i think adult link is alot cooler, especially with all his new TP sword moves...what does yl have going for him? a slingshot (for some reason he still used arrows in melee)...and oh yeah, the boomerang (although they gave it to adult link too in melee). plus a slight speed increase, but not nearly enough to make him any better than the characters that already have link beat. id say stick with the TP link, ditch the kid. and no WW link. its basically the same thing, just different graphics style...

and someone asked what paper mario's super smash would be? super paper cuts!!!

Sensai

Smash Master

I'm back.

And I like the Adult Link better. More power, IMO, is better. That's why I play Ganon.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Do you think Jigglypuff will return? I mean, if the're really going for "originality" this time, they may consider removing it because of his/her marginal similarity with Kirby.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
i never thought id hear anybody say that! for a character who is known for having an extremely large variety of tools, not to mention a sword, i think coming up with a good moveset would be one of the easiest things (compared to other characters). its also fun to note that they have other characters whose entire movesets are based around swords... add in all of links gear, and you could have quite a few different and unique full movesets.

now, as for which is better...? well, i think adult link is alot cooler, especially with all his new TP sword moves...what does yl have going for him? a slingshot (for some reason he still used arrows in melee)...and oh yeah, the boomerang (although they gave it to adult link too in melee). plus a slight speed increase, but not nearly enough to make him any better than the characters that already have link beat. id say stick with the TP link, ditch the kid. and no WW link. its basically the same thing, just different graphics style...

What I mean is it wouldn't make sense to overdo it with Link's overwhelming item list. They can''t add half of Link's signature items without making him a mess. Imagine him with every item for LoZ: a Link to the Past? That would be insane since that game has like 15 [mostly more] items to aid you in your quest.

Link isn't a trained, highly skilled swordsman like Marth or Roy either. He just swings his sword like a barbarian with no real techniques other than spin attack.

So when I say he's limited, I mean limited to what he can do in a game like smash. After all, nothing in Smash will change Link, he won't get new techniques or items from it, He'll just have moves to fill out his moveset and that's it. When the next LoZ maybe Link will have better swordmanship and he will be better in Smashl.

When I say swordsmanship, I mean the way he swings his sword, the different ways the sword knocks back the character, etc. Much like Morth or Roy with their DED, counter etc.

Stryks

Smash Hero

Man ur so wrong, even I know (only have played WW for like a week) that WW link is way diferent from ur average Link, its just not the graphics, ts the moves too:

He can use the deku leaf as his upb to float down ala peach, but on the grounds he'll send a burst of air forward...

he could aslo use the skull hammer, and his spin attack thing as his super or <>B, and why he used arrows in melee u ask? cause he used the heros bow in MM...

Yeah I ike TP link too, still that doesnt count WW link out...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Roy needs a different sword, maybe a 2 handed sword [as in a sword you have to use 2 hands to use correctly].

@ John:

No one really cares about YL, look at tiers, the YL melee forum, and look for vids. Hardly anyone uses him and he's a clone so his chances are lower. And if Doc is out so is he since Doc =mario and YL = Link.

And why do you want Nana [ the AI IC] to follow better? Desynching is the best part about them, you don't know your characters do you?
They are best together that is why, and the damage is higher when they are together than seperate. Plus everytime I use them, I play a course like Onett, or Hyrule Temple, and I always lose Nana to KO's from getting hit, to running into an obvious attack, to dying. Then I'm stuck

The Wind Waker=Gamecubes #4 selling game (only Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, & Mario Kart Doube Dash!! sold better on the Gamecube). and clones can be changed, if done right. Plus The Wind Waker Link has a totally diffrent type of sword play, involving more spining, uppercuts, better combos, and the hurricane spin. Not to mention he has a totally diffrent arsenal, ranging from the Deku Leaf, all the way to the Skull Hammer and Grappling Hook. Who cares about how popular in Melee, compared to their fanbase wanting them to return.

O and Red Exodus Link in the Wind Waker gets trained by Orca, and in Twilight Princess I guess he was trained by Rusl (not sure). Link's attack style is unlike any previous LOZ title, and is easily the most individual Link. Heck, the only real move he shares in common with the other Link's in the jump slash and spin attack! Add in a ton of LOZ weapons and you can make him an awsome character! If you know The Wind Waker, you gotta love this Link!

As for which is better....the Light Arrows says it all! The Wind Waker Link would beat Twilight Princess Link, just with that alone, and Fire, and Ice Arrows, lol. Plus A Link to the Past has 24 items. Don't ask me how I remeber that, I haven't played ALTTP in like 2 years=going mad! I can totally see The Wind Waker Link's victory dance now! LOL, funny times! Last I checked, Falco was a clone was he not! Tiers don't matter compared to popularity, and how much a character is wanted or desired.

Also Jigglypuff will most likely return, along with all the original 12 from SSB 64. Again, this is just my guess, doesn't mean it is set in stone! Keep Ness too while your at it!

MasterGary

Smash Ace
I actually wouldn't mind seeing WW Link in it. I realy like The Wind Waker game.
And Falco and Ganondorf are the least cloney clones. If you look at a good Falco plat and then look at a good Foxm, you will see a huge diffrence. I personaly know this because i main Falco and I have watched a lot of Falco vids in my life.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I actually wouldn't mind seeing WW Link in it. I realy like The Wind Waker game.
And Falco and Ganondorf are the least cloney clones. If you look at a good Falco plat and then look at a good Foxm, you will see a huge diffrence. I personaly know this because i main Falco and I have watched a lot of Falco vids in my life.
It is true that Ganondorf and Luigi are the least clones, followed by Falco. I'm sure you know more than well how The Wind Waker Link attacks, and it is totally diffrent from other Links. The Wind Waker Link would be an easy character to make an idividual, and wouldn't be that hard considering his sword techiniques as well as arsenal is nothing like any other LOZ game Link.

As for Falco to Fox, I use them totally diffrent. Heck, Fox is my 4th fav character, while Falco is my 5th fav. I understand where you come from with this, and I agree they can easily be used diffrently to extract their strengths and be used diffrently. Depsite this, I use basically ever clone diffrently from the original, especially Ganondorf and Luigi. It sorta weird that I use clones diffrently from the characters they're based off, and it took me a while to notice that I use them totally diffrently from the originals.

I don't really know how to explain why or how I use them diffrently, other than I try extracting their strengths and use them to my advantage. As for the clones that return, they need to be pure originals, but still have a somewhat similar feel to them. That balance will be the key to success, and make them a totally new experience, while still feeling like their good old selves. Falco, YLink, and heck, even Ganondorf are absolutely no exceptions.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Do you think Jigglypuff will return? I mean, if the're really going for "originality" this time, they may consider removing it because of his/her marginal similarity with Kirby.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jiggly WILL return. no question.

Man ur so wrong, even I know (only have played WW for like a week) that WW link is way diferent from ur average Link, its just not the graphics, ts the moves too:

He can use the deku leaf as his upb to float down ala peach, but on the grounds he'll send a burst of air forward...

he could aslo use the skull hammer, and his spin attack thing as his super or <>B, and why he used arrows in melee u ask? cause he used the heros bow in MM...

Yeah I ike TP link too, still that doesnt count WW link out...
hah, thats funny. so youre saying because WW had different items, that it is enough to make an entirely new character. yes, they probably could make a unique moveset for items in that game alone. i dont know how many zelda games you have played, but every single one has a few items that none of the others have (or at least that none before it have had...). so i dont know if you realize, but they could make a unique link moveset for every game he has appeared in (an up+b of using the roc's cape would be so sweet), but they arent going to do that, because why waste 5-10 spots on the same character? it happened in melee simply because both adult and child link were in the same game that they got the movesets from, if they had not both been in ocarina of time then i dont think they would have had both in melee. also they will not only use moves that link had in that specific game if they included him, they already showed that with melee. adult link couldnt use the boomerang, yet he had one in melee. young link couldnt use fire arrows (let alone arrows at all!) or the hookshot.

anyway, now that we've seen that link has undergone the 'upgrade' to the TP look, i believe the only characters from the zelda universe will be from TP. i could be wrong, though, i can see them still including shiek...also, someone has said that link 'swings his sword mindlessly'...go play TP. he has many unique attacks (how many did marth have in his FE games?), and i believe if they wanted to they could easily give link an entire moveset on simply sword attacks. i thought this was no longer an issue, but just because a character doesnt have alot of attacks from their originating game (or any at all, ex. captain falcon), they can still make a good moveset for that character.

now, im not completely hating the idea of WW link, id just rather they add another completely unique character to brawl. if they have the time and for some reason run out of good ideas, then by all means, throw him in with his deku leaf. (this is assuming young link is cut. if for some reason young link stays and isnt WW link, then no way. ever. 2 links in one game is enough.)

weasleman333

Smash Apprentice
most from melee will return but some clones-pichu, young link, doc mario, roy-got to go.
They should have ganondorf use his sword in brawl-that would rock.
jiggly will return and if he dosen't crazy j's gonna be mad.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo HAS to bring everyone from SSBM and SSB 64 back. They just have to. :psycho: :lick:

Think about it from a company's point of view.

Nintendo, even though a generous video gaming company loved by many, is still a business after MONEY, MONEY, and more MONEY.

If they don't bring back all the characters, then... sales can plummet.

I don't care if few people like pichu or some other random character I won't say to piss anyone off, BUT Nintendo has to bring them back or else those who play with that character won't buy Brawl or mutilate the disc. :mad: :mad: :mad: (I will KILL Nintendo if they don't bring Falco back :mad: :mad: :mad: )

But whatever, as long as falco's there, I'll P00N.

Top Bottom