• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I think it has to do with the same exact issues coming up over again.

Basically everyone: Roy, Dr. Mario and Pichu should be gone. Maybe Young Link too.
Obscure fanboy of one of the four listed above: *rants*
Peace keeper: Knock it off, ya'll. We'll know what happened when the game comes out.
Everyone: Right.

. . .

Somebody: I hate Roy.
Fanboy: **** you.

Rinse and repeat.
Lol, you could almost say that about every topic on the forums.

That IS true. But where else could we see non-Nintendo people fight other famous video game characters? :urg: Though I do see your point. If you add TOO much 3rd-party things then it won't seem as much of a Nintendo game.
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games? Capcome vs. SNK? I like the idea of company-wide crossovers, but unfortunately they have somewhat unimpressive success rate. So, rather than allow more 3rd party content into the Smash series, thereby possibly dragging it down, why not launch a sepparate companywide crossover game? If it does poorly, Smash doesn't suffer. If it does well, then we're blessed with an entirely new addictive game to play. Win/win.

Omg. Lol. RAT! Can you make a post that isnt like... an essay long?

Doc for the Brawl.
Lol, what can I say, I'm a writer. Someday I'll write a short post though. Just you wait. :cool:

rAt is nuts...Doc for Brawl (cause he needs all the support he can get in a losing cause)
Megaman for Brawl (cause he's original and differentiates himself from Samus more than Luigi does from Mario)
Everyone but Roy for Brawl (because Pichu was just a baby Pika that came from Pikas distance past or some **** so technically he's already in and Roy is just a douche and he's a character that I can't even picture in the game)
I'm not nuts, but the other people in my head are! :psycho:

@rAt:
I agree with you. Characters that should be included should NOT be trendy new characters. These characters should be well established and not just "fresh out of the oven", because they have yet to establish themselves. They could turn sour down the road and that could in turn sour Brawl. But I don't think Sora is a bad idea at all. KH has a HUGE fanbase, especially in Japan. They've had 3 successful mainstream games, 3 remakes of their games in Japan that sold exeedingly well, and 3 highly anticipated sequels (one for DS, one for PSP, and one for PS3[?]). I don't see the KH series dying anytime soon.

But all in all, I think I'd rather see Megaman if there is but ONE space left for a 3rd Party guest, and he does, in fact, deserve it more than anyone at this point. If there's two spots left, and SquareEnix does get the spot, I'm willing to bet that it will be Crono over Sora. Which doesn't bother me at all. Crono has a "retro" factor, and has established himself very well since he is still very poopular today. Yes, I said poopular.

But I don't think it's so much Sora that people want to see in Brawl, as much as I think it is the keyblade. Lol. It's really what makes the series.
I suppose my problem with Sora isn't that I think he's a fad character. I mean, after all, I'm a part of his fanbase. But no matter how you slice it, he isn't Nintendo, and he has no real connection to Nintendo. He's just a cool character. And I don't think that should be the only criteria. Not when there are 3rd party characters which have a long, Nintendo-filled history.
Now if we were talking about a Square-Enix crossover fighting game, or the like I mentioned before a multicompany crossover game, I'd be preaching Sora's involvement to the rafters. I just don't think he's right for Smash.

I dunno about Chrono, but I won't fight you on his current popularity. Well, I could if you want me to. But it wasn't my first idea. My first idea was to assemble an elite team of ninjas to attack and destroy global warming. Also, I was probably daydreaming.

I'm curious how we know there's only one 3rd party spot left. Or even if there's one 3rd party spot left. I mean, I've seen that number tossed around since Sonic was announced, but I've never heard where it came from. Do we know that for sure?

That's a great point about the keyblade. Which is ironic. I mean, how many people played through Kingdom Hearts 1 or 2 with the original Kingdom Key? But yet, it's the one everyong thinks of as the Keyblade, and it's completely iconic of the series (which it should be; it's just funny). Personally, I liked Fenrir from KH2 the best, but that's a whole different discussion.

EDIT: I thought the mobile KH game was a sort of during-quel? (like The Horse and His Boy is to the rest of the Narnia books) I mean, the previews show Sora in his Kingdom Hearts 1 duds, and all. Also, Terra is also the name of one of the main characters in the PSP KH prequel.

EDIT 2: Now that Dev mentioned him, I kinda wanna see Cecil in the next Kingdom Hearts game (not the prequels, because I'm not buying any of them :p).

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I'm curious how we know there's only one 3rd party spot left. Or even if there's one 3rd party spot left. I mean, I've seen that number tossed around since Sonic was announced, but I've never heard where it came from. Do we know that for sure?
Nope. It comes from the Contribution Fist (that thing SamuraiPanda's famous for translating) in which Sakurai says (something along the lines of) "As for the number of third party characters (beyond Snake); one or two, perhaps?" Note the question and over all uncertainty of pretty much everything he said on there. Another favorite: "It would be more fitting for a guest (third-party) character to be unlockable, don't you think?"

The only thing really statement he made for sure is the one that this thread was made for: "I'm not very good with words so I'll just say it; some of the characters from the previous installment will disappear. Definately." Which, of course, may or may not be final...but...ya know. (Course I just paraphrased those...the jist is the same, though.) Of course, you probably knew all of this.

Here's a link:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

EDIT: I thought the mobile KH game was a sort of during-quel? (like The Horse and His Boy is to the rest of the Narnia books) I mean, the previews show Sora in his Kingdom Hearts 1 duds, and all. Also, Terra is also the name of one of the main characters in the PSP KH prequel.

No, it's after the second one. I don't really know the exact story but I think it's something like...

What you played in KH (and KH:FM) was the doctored version of what really happens so Coded is going back through the journal as a computer program (that looks like KH Sora) to make it right or something. I just know it takes place after KHII and you're learning what really happened in the first one.

Ya, but that Terra isn't nearly as cool as the FFVI one. <_<

EDIT 2: Now that Dev mentioned him, I kinda wanna see Cecil in the next Kingdom Hearts game (not the prequels, because I'm not buying any of them :p).
Seriously. The first six (and nine...can't forget the best one) are so underrepresented. :/ I almost want a PSP just for Dissidia.

majora_787

Smash Hero
@Majora787:
Megaman has WAY more abilities than Samus ever has had. Megaman would not be anything like Samus, even with a charge shot. Honestly, saying two characters with blaster shots would play the same is like saying two characters with swords would play the same.

Oh, and just try saying "Megaman = Samus" in the Megaman Thread. You'll get eaten alive faster than unprotected brains in a pit of zombies.
ehehe ^_^" my bad. I tend to make that mistake when talking about characters even a tiny bit similar to metroid.

but I stand by the doc comment. he's mario. mario is mario. bringing doc back would pretty much be the same as giving mario two character select squares. if characters like Pichu and Doc return, then all that will do is mean fewer characters in the game, and all we get is a second pikachu and second mario. Yes, that also goes against the baby mario baby bowser and young link/ww link threads.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
ehehe ^_^" my bad. I tend to make that mistake when talking about characters even a tiny bit similar to metroid.

but I stand by the doc comment. he's mario. mario is mario. bringing doc back would pretty much be the same as giving mario two character select squares. if characters like Pichu and Doc return, then all that will do is mean fewer characters in the game, and all we get is a second pikachu and second mario. Yes, that also goes against the baby mario baby bowser and young link/ww link threads.
I have to agree with Pichu and Doc (and Roy) but Bowser Jr would be entirely different (even without a stamina Shadow Mario ability [but tthat would be cool too]) Another Mario wouldn't be bad, it just needs to be the right one. A Paper Mario would be unique (I don't know if he's important enough though) and even a Baby Mario could support a hammer, racoon wear, a chain chomp and has enough to go off of to be unique. He could be the bran new small fast character, like Pichu but not just a replica. And you can have 6 Links that could be completely uncomparable to one another with the arsenal that Link has through his history. And having a Cell Shaded character in any sense in this game would expand it's overall diversity. And Link happens to have a CS form, and Link should more or less be represented as his most reoccuring self (Young) in a game that embrases the series and its history.

CSLink, Bowser Jr and Paper Mario for Brawl...

majora_787

Smash Hero
that's not my point. I'm saying, cell shaded link is link. they're both link, diffirent moves or not.

paper mario is still mario. bowser jr. WAS bowser. what I'm saying is too many characters that are the same character just gets...repetitive.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
that's not my point. I'm saying, cell shaded link is link. they're both link, diffirent moves or not.

paper mario is still mario. bowser jr. WAS bowser. what I'm saying is too many characters that are the same character just gets...repetitive.
Well for Win Waker Link they could give him different side attacks. and maybe the Mirr. Shield. Ice Arrows, Wind Changing thing. Ya know, change it up.

Bowser Jr could have. NOTHING DONT PUT THAT BAST**D IN!!

Paper Mario could have his movement changed alot, cause hes like... paper. and maybe use his Hammer More?

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
I ain't really sure but i have a pretty good aspect of which characters "imo" should be left on the battle field and which should go out.

Basicly there's 25 characters and simply i think 4 need to go.

-Pichu: Completely useless characters, imo even The "Worse" characters in the game.
There is no need for him to be in the game since we allready got the lovely pikachu rat.
He is just plain bad and even hurts himself.

To not completely erase the idea of Pichi a Pikachu which swallows a Poison mushrom should downgrade to a Pichu. Same with eating a super mushrom becomming a Raichu :laugh:

Doc: Eventhough i love him even more then mario (Probably cause he got electricity and cool pills bursting out from his hands) he's just a to big clone of mario. Exactly the same moveset, only differense is he's abit more buffed grabbing ledges while not even being close and having a fair that knocks them away rather then meteoring them.)

While choosing outfit for mario he should be able to equip the Doc outfit :)

Young Link: Remove the youn link charcter we have atm and bring in a WW link. 'nuff said.

Roy: Marth as an overpowered character is enough, roy was just the same with fire. But still worse imo.
Could keep him and give him a new moveset like comparing him with captain and Ganon but the melee roy's out.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Not gonna lie, I hate the idea of Bowser Jr. in Brawl. It isn't that I think he'd be exactly like Bowser, it's that I despise the character. He essentially usurped the Koopalings (who were far supperior), but more than that, he's an overused character. I mean, how many times in Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros. did we have to fight him, when Nintendo could have just taken the time to come up with something new? I've seen enough of Bowser Jr.

As far as the whole multiple Links issue goes, it's true that not all Links are the same guy. But they are mostly intended to have the same traits. And while the overarching Link arsenal definetly has plenty still to offer, it isn't like those untapped items are associated with one specific Link. The hammer, for instance, has been used across several games, so it isn't unique to one Link. Or the Light/Silver Arrows. Or the Mirror Shield. Ect.

I guess what I'm saying is that the reason people want another Link is because it would supposedly be a different Link. But to do so, they would have to give him items that were possesed by another Link, therefore reinforcing the idea that they are all the same Link.

EDIT: They're getting shorter. :p

captainfalcon_rulez

Smash Apprentice
should return

captain falcon
luigi
jiggly puff
ness
marth
mr.game and watch

should return with new movests

falco
roy
ganondrf

should not return period!

pichu
dr.mario
meewto
young link

captainfalcon_rulez

Smash Apprentice
should return

captain falcon
luigi
jiggly puff
ness
marth
mr.game and watch

falco
roy
ganondrf

pichu
dr.mario
meewto
young link

newcomers

lucario
rayman
megaman
pac-man(or assist trophy will do)
hammer bros (maybe)
bowser jr.
young link(wind waker)
wolf
crystal

Boofer

Smash Ace
I think Ike is already being the new Roy.

But then again, wtf do I know?
You're right. And chances are, Isaac won't be anything like Marth and Roy. People who actually played the game would know this. Isaac's moveset = psynergy based (earth element) = perfect addition to smash. Making his moves based on his sword wouldn't do the actual character any justice, as his moves in the game were largely earth-based psynergy, not on his sword.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
Ike is already the new Roy. Noobs love him, pros bash him, and he has "th3 ph1r3."
And he's g@y too...cause Roy's a ****in' douche that shouldn't have been in melee in the first place. If it was only for marketting at the moment reasons then I sure hope Micaiah is in this time around. She's awesome.
Nah, I'm kinding. Roy and Ike are cool too.

You're right. And chances are, Isaac won't be anything like Marth and Roy. People who actually played the game would know this. Isaac's moveset = psynergy based (earth element) = perfect addition to smash. Making his moves based on his sword wouldn't do the actual character any justice, as his moves in the game were largely earth-based psynergy, not on his sword.
Thank you, Isaac would be awesome.

serioiusly.... mewtwo is awsome.
awesome to the max

Mewtwo should return, if they fix him.
or break him ;) He's the freakin god Poke, he should have broken powers haha

Why should Mewtwo not return?
Cause he was intimidating and tricked everyone in melee to thinking he was good when he turned out bad and this time we'll think he's bad again cause of lack of change but the floatiness etc of Brawl will make him almost invincible. :ohwell:

should return

captain falcon
luigi
jiggly puff
ness
marth
mr.game and watch

falco
roy
ganondrf

pichu
dr.mario
meewto
young link

newcomers

lucario
rayman
megaman
pac-man(or assist trophy will do)
hammer bros (maybe)
bowser jr.
young link(wind waker)
wolf
crystal
HAHAHA!!! Falcon rules yeah, but wtf? I'll fix this

should return

captain falcon
luigi
jigglypuff (no space in pokes)
marth
mr.game and watch
mewtwo

falco
ness (doubt it)
ganondorf
young link (cs)

pichu
dr.mario
roy

newcomers

lucario
megaman (only 3P if there is one)
tails (assist trophy will do, if snake gets fox then sonic gets...)
hammer bros (AT/done)
bowser jr.
young link (wind waker, so he's a vet^)
wolf (meh, maybe just falco)
Krystal
captain olimar
isaac
and more...

Sounds good to me. And maybe throw in sheik for the "never want to see again but has a chance cause who ****in knows at this point" pile ;)

Ginger9001

Smash Ace

Isaac is the mannn!! I loved that game! He's the one who could do that kick *** Ragnarok move with the giant sword falling from the sky right? That would be a killer move. :mad:

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
My guess

At this point, the only newcomer I care about getting in is Isaac.

Mewtwo should be back, regardless of how bad he may have been to anyone who didn't learn him. Jigglypuff and Pikachu will obviously be back. I'm wondering who might take the fourth Pokemon spot, if there is one.

Ganondorf will be back. They're keeping Zelda, so the Triforce will stay in the game. I would love to see Wind Waker Link as well, but more as a recolor really. What else would he be, Link with a rolling Counter?

Marth might be back, but he needs a revamp.

I'm sure Luigi will be back, along with Captain Falcon. They're both to important to drop.

Otherwise, still waiting on the Sqareenix third party announcement. Probably going to be Sora, no complaints here as long as it isn't Cloud.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
At this point, the only newcomer I care about getting in is Isaac.

Mewtwo should be back, regardless of how bad he may have been to anyone who didn't learn him. Jigglypuff and Pikachu will obviously be back. I'm wondering who might take the fourth Pokemon spot, if there is one.

Pikachu IS back... :confused:

Ganondorf will be back. They're keeping Zelda, so the Triforce will stay in the game. I would love to see Wind Waker Link as well, but more as a recolor really. What else would he be, Link with a rolling Counter?

There is no recolor of Link as Cel-Shaded Link, but I think that he will come back, take over Young Link's position, and give him basically a new moveset. Besides, if they do incorporate alternate skins, the character would have to have the EXACT same dimensions as the character they're covering. We couldn't have Knuckles for a Sonic alt, or Pichu for a Pikachu alt, or Wart for a Bowser alt (etc.)

Marth might be back, but he needs a revamp.

Marth was too perfect for a revamp. Though he may be nerfed, if that's what you meant.

I'm sure Luigi will be back, along with Captain Falcon. They're both to important to drop.

Otherwise, still waiting on the Sqareenix third party announcement. Probably going to be Sora, no complaints here as long as it isn't Cloud.

I think Crono has the best chance of all SquareEnix characters, but Sora's chances are alright. I can guarantee that the spot won't go to Cloud. He has little to no ties to any Nintendo system, except as a summonable character in the GBA KH:CoM game. I don't think they'll be using him, it's too obscure.
Everything else though... I totally agree with you on.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
I would love to have marth back in with a roy costume.

I would only want Mewtwo if they made him a lot better, i know it's POSSIBLE to be good with him, but it isn't very fun.

Captain Falcon is about perfect, and he is the coolest and funniest character is smash bros, he shold be a shoe in.

Ganondorf is cool, and i bet he will be back in, but i hope they are giving CFalcon some of Gdorfs power and better attacks, and give gdorf a completely new moveset. They have already slightly done this with Mario, by combining Dr Mario's and mario's Air A> to get the better effects of both when you need them.

Shiek is really fun to play as, but even i admit that she needs either a slight nerf; more to power and not to speed. Should make for some fun metaknight/shiek matches.

I'm neutral on Jigglypuff.

A Dr. Mario costume would be amazing, but not if it took up a character spot.

As for Falco, he doesn't have to be a completely alternate character, but I'd still be pretty disapointed if he didn't make some kind of playable appearance.

I had a dream that Pichu was in, but i (as well as pretty much everyone) doubt he will return and i'd much rather have a raichu costume than a pichu.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
The only characters i can see leaving are Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu. Even though Lucas took Ness' moves i'd still like Ness to return with his own move set.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I agree with Regalbuster on this one, Roy, Dr.Mario and Pichu are probably gone.......I feel sorry for them though.....it's not that hard to come up with a unique moveset is it? :(

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer that ness just gets removed. He wasn't that popular in melee. To be honest, with myself, he will most likely still be in brawl due to his originality. The only people that might not return are Pichu, G&W, Doc, and Roy (even though I am starting to like Roy)
Wat r u talking about Ness was one of the best in melee

Top Bottom