• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

NejiUchiha

Smash Cadet
I just hope that they put all the top-tier characters from melee back in the game. Especially Falco.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I really wish he would make a returning characters update.

I doubt he'll do it though, because most of them will no doubt be secret, and most likely he's holding off on the secrets until closer to or after the release date. Also, he's already revealed many vets, so why would make a returning characters update? Ah...Oh well.

How many MORE returning vets are you expecting? I'd say about 7-ish. If we get that many, I wonder what that says about the amount of additional newcomers. It seems unlikely that we'd get more secret vets than secret newcomers.

EDIT: Obviously I meant how many more returning vets do you expect XD.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
So who's left? Doc, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Falco, Ness, Young Link, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, and Roy? And you want 7?

The 7 most likely I say are Luigi, Cptn. Falcon, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth. If theirs another one it'll be Y Link changing into CS Link

Boofer

Smash Ace
Actually, I wasn't asking about who was returning, but about how many will return iyo. Just an estimate, as I think this can also tell us the minimum amount of newcomers to expect and finally the total amount of characters.

This is just speculation, but as far as numbers go, I think: Amount of Secret Newcomers > Amount of Secret vets. Would you agree?

Lets say there will be 21 starters (ZSS is included, Sonic and Snake are excluded), 7 secret vets and at least 7 secret newcomers. So maybe it'll go 21+7+7 = 35 minimum? Of course, this is under the assumption that we'll have 21 starters(I don't think we'll have less than 20) and as I said, 7 secret vets (which I'd say is reasonable).

btw, you think Falco has a greater chance than ganondorf? I doubt that.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
So who's left? Doc, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Falco, Ness, Young Link, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, and Roy? And you want 7?

The 7 most likely I say are Luigi, Cptn. Falcon, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth. If theirs another one it'll be Y Link changing into CS Link
I'd rather have Ganondorf than Jigglypuff and seeing how Ganondorf is the main villain of Zelda i see no reason why he'd be dropped.

Coselm

Smash Ace
I think the only characters that won't be coming back are Doctor Mario, Roy, Pichu, and possibly Marth or Falco, but I doubt it because of how popular they are.

I think Ganondorf will come back, but with a sword, or with some Twilight Princess style moveset.

The only characters that could get dropped without me caring are Doctor Mario and Pichu.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Wow u must really dont want to learn some skill if u wanna keepthe same top tiers as they were in melee...
Yup. Which doesn't make much sense in the first place since most of the top tier characters are probably going to get a good nerfing if they return.

The fact is, there's a good chance the character you mained in Melee will play differently this time around, so don't hope for characters based on their Melee status; it's pointless. Just find characters you genuinely like and hope for them.

If there ARE no characters you genuinely like (. . . o_O) then just main Metaknight. >_>

Dynamism

Smash Lord
If there ARE no characters you genuinely like (. . . o_O) then just main Metaknight. >_>
HAHAHA classic!!!

Like for instants, I want Luigi to be the best cause he's my favorite character. But I'll still use everyone equally because i like every character and to generally play Brawl. Not just a character in Brawl but Brawl as a whole. If Luigi's the best, awesome, if it's some douche like Falco and Luigi sucks, that's cool too. I'll get good with them both either way.

When the cross over from 64 to melee was that dramatic, I expect Brawl to be similar but for the better. 64 to melee involved the good characters becoming the worst and some alright characters becoming the best and alot of un-balancing happened. (Marth vs Pichu) By the looks of it (and I'm sure they did learn how to balance) every character whether they were good or bad in melee will at least have potetial competitively.

There will always be harder characters to use than others though. Like a Sheik vs Mewtwo who at the highest level are about even when facing each other, or a Fox vs Ike who may turn out to be equals after all. Just play who you feel is easier or funner for you or wait for the best characters to surface before you even play.

Me personally, I'll play everyone cause they're all fun :)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I do beleive Zamus will have her own way to be chosen.

WAIT!!!!!!!!!
Didn't we already cover this?
I remember saying that smash balls are items and items will always be optional and Zamus is a completely different character and every character should be playable without items.
(After all it's turning off items not characters.) But you know, don't listen to the person that has been right on everything from Diddy pwning, ICs and Hyrule returning and a stage building function
What ev's
;)
:p

And Tetris Stage FTW!!!

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Lol, Yeah. Thx Ginger.

But it brings me to my 2nd question, If Smash balls are Turned off because people dont really like them.
Are they then denied of their character, Zamus?

Hmm....I believe someone on another forum said that its pretty much confirmed that Zamus will be selectable from start, kinda like Sheik was on Melee. But that was just one mans opinion so it doesn't really answer your question. xD It makes sense though.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
Hmm....I believe someone on another forum said that its pretty much confirmed that Zamus will be selectable from start, kinda like Sheik was on Melee. But that was just one mans opinion so it doesn't really answer your question. xD It makes sense though.
Ok yeah, Umm show me a link to that forum with a Screen Shot or a quote from Sakurai and then i believe it.

SiegK

Smash Champion
Huntington Beach, SoCal. Wanna Smash? PM me.
I'm pretty sure every character from ssb64 will return if anything.
Up until now.

Yes, "up until now," not to be confused with "up TO now," which would include the past occurrences AS WELL AS potential current events. With those three words, Masahiro Sakurai has efficiently wiped out one of the original twelve characters, who's been there from the beginning, for no reason other than LUCAS KIND OF LOOKS LIKE HIM.

So just like that, Ness is removed from the Smash Bros. universe--after years of being screwed over by Nintendo, the EarthBound fans recieve one final kick to the teeth by losing their only American representative of the series...despite the fact that Sakurai has stated he didn't want to focus too heavily on Japan-only characters!

Seriously Sakurai, what the blue blazes!?

That's only the half of it. Equally as frustrating as Ness's removal is Lucas's moveset. I've made no attempt to hide my adoration of Mother 3 and its characters over the past year and a half, so when Lucas was announced as a NEWCOMER, pardon me for expecting a unique, Mother 3-specific moveset. Hundreds of fans have come up with potential movesets for Lucas (myself included), so Sakurai's team of creative geniuses could EASILY create something that works for him. There's no excuse.

Like Ness, Lucas doesn't even use PK Fire, Freeze, or Thunder! Where's the pencil rocket, saltwater gun, doorknob throw, Boney, PK Love (well, it's probably his FS), or PK Counter? The rope snake is a great addition, they could've easily expanded that stuff to his B moves.

But nope. Instead, the EB fans lose their character and don't even gain a newcomer...it's just Ness with a new hairdo. Newcomer is a total misnomer, and Lucas taking Ness's moves is a disservice to both Mother heroes.

Yes, there are cities under attack, people being oppressed, and starving children throughout the world...so in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a huge deal. But dang it, as a Mother fan, I'm sick of this series getting kicked around so much.

We never got Mother.
We never got Mother 3.
And now we get a fake Newcomer and lose our veteran in Smash.

EB fans around the world, I feel and share your pain. Hopefully the translation was off and Ness will show up and surprise us all. It still won't fix Lucas's uninspired moves, but it could somewhat heal our battered Pokey-hating psyches.

...On a side note, I'm wondering if we're going to get another Mother representative now. Seeing as how Claus got an equal number of votes as Lucas, he seems like a strong possibility. It probably won't be Kumatora, since Lucas/Ness (ugh) has her PSI moves. Might be Flint, might be Duster.

Probably won't be Ness. :/

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
I wouldn't suspect him not returning just yet, remember how he was unlockable in ssb64? Well The thing that makes me still have hope in his return is the fact that Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Jigglypuff haven't been confirmed yet. So he and the rest of the unlockable 4 of ssb64 may all return as unlockable characters again.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Up until now.

Yes, "up until now," not to be confused with "up TO now," which would include the past occurrences AS WELL AS potential current events. With those three words, Masahiro Sakurai has efficiently wiped out one of the original twelve characters, who's been there from the beginning, for no reason other than LUCAS KIND OF LOOKS LIKE HIM.

So just like that, Ness is removed from the Smash Bros. universe--after years of being screwed over by Nintendo, the EarthBound fans recieve one final kick to the teeth by losing their only American representative of the series...despite the fact that Sakurai has stated he didn't want to focus too heavily on Japan-only characters!

That's only the half of it. Equally as frustrating as Ness's removal is Lucas's moveset. I've made no attempt to hide my adoration of Mother 3 and its characters over the past year and a half, so when Lucas was announced as a NEWCOMER, pardon me for expecting a unique, Mother 3-specific moveset. Hundreds of fans have come up with potential movesets for Lucas (myself included), so Sakurai's team of creative geniuses could EASILY create something that works for him. There's no excuse.

Like Ness, Lucas doesn't even use PK Fire, Freeze, or Thunder! Where's the pencil rocket, saltwater gun, doorknob throw, Boney, PK Love (well, it's probably his FS), or PK Counter? The rope snake is a great addition, they could've easily expanded that stuff to his B moves.

But nope. Instead, the EB fans lose their character and don't even gain a newcomer...it's just Ness with a new hairdo. Newcomer is a total misnomer, and Lucas taking Ness's moves is a disservice to both Mother heroes.

Yes, there are cities under attack, people being oppressed, and starving children throughout the world...so in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a huge deal. But dang it, as a Mother fan, I'm sick of this series getting kicked around so much.

We never got Mother.
We never got Mother 3.

EB fans around the world, I feel and share your pain. Hopefully the translation was off and Ness will show up and surprise us all. It still won't fix Lucas's uninspired moves, but it could somewhat heal our battered Pokey-hating psyches.

...On a side note, I'm wondering if we're going to get another Mother representative now. Seeing as how Claus got an equal number of votes as Lucas, he seems like a strong possibility. It probably won't be Kumatora, since Lucas/Ness (ugh) has her PSI moves. Might be Flint, might be Duster.

PREACH IT!!!! WOOOOO!!! NESS FTW!!! :chuckle:

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Up until now.

We never got Mother.
We never got Mother 3.

I'd like Claus and(please Sakurai please) Ness in Brawl

Claus because he'd have PK Love as his FS, he weilds a sword, and he looks nothing like Lucas(in his Masked boy form), and Ness because well...he deserves it.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
So long as my main, Jigglypuff, is back in I'd be okay with pretty much anyone they want to put in. (except for the Ice Climbers as I've always found them particularly irksome) I also pray that they do a good job balancing, because I still shake at the thought of Fox upsmashing my Jiggs after a failed rest and KOing me at around 60%. ...evil...

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Up until now.

We never got Mother.
We never got Mother 3.

Ha, you may no longer hassle mefor long posts :p

Seriously, though, I don't know if we should write Ness off completely because of one little phrase. I say this because everything on the Dojo was originally written in Japanese, then translated to English. Certain phrases in English have a completely different connotation when translated literally, and we don't know how much license the translator took with Sakurai's words.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact you're probably right. I'm just saying until we have a definitive list of characters, there's hope for justice. (Until Sakurai's entire post tonight is entirely devoted to how Ness will not be returning :p)

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Ha, you may no longer hassle mefor long posts :p

Seriously, though, I don't know if we should write Ness off completely because of one little phrase. I say this because everything on the Dojo was originally written in Japanese, then translated to English. Certain phrases in English have a completely different connotation when translated literally, and we don't know how much license the translator took with Sakurai's words.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact you're probably right. I'm just saying until we have a definitive list of characters, there's hope for justice. (Until Sakurai's entire post tonight is entirely devoted to how Ness will not be returning :p)

Indeed. My fingers are crossed.....all the way till Brawl comes out. :urg:

Dynamism

Smash Lord
1. Ness talk pisses me off. (Though he would make a good story to pass on to the newcoming smashers and generations)
2. Claus would be sweet. (If Ness is...in too)
3. Mewtwo clone? wtf?! Go play melee!!!
4. Translation is off. (please)
5. Luigi Jiggs Falcon Ness ( all on the same page hopefully)
6. Wouldn't it be great if Ness was the wtf unlockable at the end of the game??!!?!!?!

Top Bottom