• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

Dynamism

Smash Lord
**** you all and your financial capacity to travel. :mad:

EDIT: SeigK stop reading now, this one's a long one.

On a more serious note, I'm somewhat surprised at how little discussion there has been about Sakurai's last post on the Dojo. It could affect how we think about who's coming back and who isn't.

Specifically, I'm talking about the last six paragraphs (or so) of his post, where he talks about unlockable characters. Initially, he mostly focuses on how he hasn't put any measures in place to hide unlockable characters when playing online, but then he says two important things;

1. "So, this time I'm moving in a direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters."
2. "You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary. For those of you who look forward to those encounters, I recommend you clear this mode before playing Basic Brawl."

The first statement is a bit ambiguous and could be nothing. He could just mean that he's not getting hung up on us finding out about hidden characters. However, I don't think so. I mean, finding out about hidden characters through online play is only an issue after the game is released, right? Well, with Melee, as soon as the game was out, he imediately started releasing info on the hidden characters and how to unlock them. So, why would he be worried about us finding out about something he was already going to tell us?

I think what he means is that this time around, the unlockable characters aren't necessarily hidden. That is, we've all assumed that all of the characters we've seen so far are starters, right? But we've also seen that the only two characters we start out with in SE are Mario and Kirby. So we know that no one else is a starter for SE, but we've all assumed that everyone else is a starter for Multiplayer, based on the size of the starting Melee roster. However if, as Sakurai implies, almost all unlockable characters are unlocked through SE, it implies that one of two things is true; you have to unlock all hidden characters twice in SE (once to use them in SE like the starters, and once to use them in multiplayer), OR each character has to be unlocked only once (for both SE and multiplayer). If the latter is true, then it's very likely that everyone we've seen besides Mario and Kirby are unlockables.

This seems even more likely given that Sakurai says "You can earn most characters by playing through Adventure Mode: Subspace Emissary." Notice he doesn't say most hidden characters. Also notice that he doesn't say by clearing it, he says by playing it.

Now of course, there is always the issue of translation error and miscommunication, but I've been suspecting this for quite some time (dyce, roy_owns and dynamism might remember my rantings from a previous thread), and I think it at least warrants discussion.

So, what does everyone think?

EDIT1: Also, new font. Good? Bad? I'm trying to make my posts look less gigantic.

EDIT2: Well so much for the new font, I guess I'm going default today...

Yeah to everything

Edit: I had to leave immidiately so I couldn't coment on it right away but here we go.

I like the new font. Green, but small :)
I do remember talking about that, (guess it was here) and this is another thing to back it up.
When Super Smash Bros 3 was confirmed as "on the way" I thought it would be great if they went to more of an adventure type of system. Initially I thought that it could go back to just starting with the original 8. (Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu) and from there, they set off to defend the Nintendo Universe from an evil force (At the time...Master Hand and the Polygons [Who create wireframes etc...]) As they did this, they recruited/UNLOCKED the other characters along the way.
This SE thing with the Minister etc is exactly what I was hoping for, and this "you can earn characters through adventure" quote is posibly the message he's sending us. I hope it is and that would be sweet.
When we had to unlock Mewtwo...How many people just turned the system on and let it go, wasting power or whatever for 8 hours either over night or just to get in the way of smash time. Ever get a new memory card cause you lose one, you have to do it again. Beat the game 5 times to get YLink?!?! like wtf!
Now it can actually be an enjoyable, versitile, possibly challenging and rewarding way of doing the secret unlocking.

Get Em As You Go In The SE...Starters include Original 8 + Peach, Zelda, Bowser, ICs, Pit and Wario...14, just like melee, but with 30 Characters to "EARN"

Jez22

Smash Cadet
get Captain Falcon in. hes such a gun.

Show me your moves!

and whack in wolf from star fox or at least as an assist trophy.

courte

Smash Lord
ness is going to return
captain falcon not blood falcon
Luigi not waluig
jiggypuff --has no equal

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
ness is going to return
captain falcon not blood falcon
Luigi not waluig
jiggypuff --has no equal

Ness will reteurn so I agree with you on that :)
how can you say that, you know good ol' Captain Falcon can never get replaced :laugh:
definetly Luigi because I hate Waluigi so much that I would pay so see him get burned by Bowser's flame
Jiggs well.... I guess she may not have an equal but seeing Kirby and alos that fact that I dislike her, him? I really don't wanna see jiggs back

Greevy

Smash Cadet
Definitly Ganondorf, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and G&W. I really want Falco to return and see no reason he shouldn't with an altered moveset, same goes for Young Link. I doubt Dr. Mario will return, or for that matter Pichu. Sheik, for whatever reason, i believe will either be back as Zelda's down-B or actually as her owncharacter (Sheik has enough of a fanbase already, and it would help adding another Zelda character without creating a new moveset. She could even represent Orcarina, Young Link representing Wind Waker). To be honest, I always thought Ike was a clone of Marth and Roy and was surprised when people still thought they were in. I prefere Roy, but would think Marth would appear over him. i actually believe Ness will be in, odds are Luigi will have only an altered Mario move-set, and we already know Lucas doesn't share Ness' A-attacks, depending on how drastic a departure from Ness these attacks are they could still play completly differently. There's no reason for C. Falcon not to return.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
C. Falcon should use his gun in Brawl. Lol.

BOOM!!!
Head Shot!
Lmao. Yah, totally! I mean, why does he even have it if he ain't gonna use it? He could be kicking butt with kicks and punches and then all of the sudden pull out a gat and go all gangster on everyone. And he'll be like "Show me your moves...*****!" POP! POP! POP! ....Everyones dead. :cool:

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
The C. Falcon Update would be the one update that EVERYONE would like, nobody would have something bad to say about it. Even if Sakurai made his new costum just a Speedo.
Thanks, Sieg, I really needed THAT image in my brain. It gives the phrase "show me your moves!" a whole different context...

I'm looking forward to a Cptn. Falcon update so people would finally shut the hell up about it
Hear hear!

I want to see Captain Falcon so I can finally shut the hell up about it.

Seriously though... it's been WAY too long.
Hear hear v. 2.0!

Seriously, though I'm almost expecting not to see another character until the Japanese release date. I just got my hopes up one too many times, only to have them dashed by fairly mundane gameplay updates flaunting content which will not be relevant to me until roughly seven seconds after I put the game in my Wii and turn it on (i.e. around two months from now). Sure, I'll get excited if we see anything important, but right now the Dojo is dead to me.

lilblake91

Smash Rookie
I don't think they're gonna put C. Falcon on an update, but they will put as a secret character just like in every smash bros. None of the other classic secret characters have been confirmed either, because they are secret characters, and they will be revealed to you as you unlock them (or internet after the game comes out).

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I don't think they're gonna put C. Falcon on an update, but they will put as a secret character just like in every smash bros. None of the other classic secret characters have been confirmed either, because they are secret characters, and they will be revealed to you as you unlock them (or internet after the game comes out).
He wasn't a secret character in melee, so I'm expecting a C. Falcon update anytime soon, or to appear in the CoroCoro magazine.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Has anyone seen this yet?

Basically, we could get as many as 5-10 new characters on Saturday (around there) if this is true, and it also brings up some thoughts...

Here's my theory, shamelessly copied from another forum

Interesting read, personally I think 30 characters on Saturday is either too good, or too bad to be true.

It could mean any of these things:

- There are 30 starters (very unlikely)
- They are revealing some secret characters, but not all (my most hopeful answer)
- There are 30 characters in the game, and that's it (that would seriously suck)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, that's partly why I'm concerned. It could be a hoax too. How many base characters do we have?

Including characters like Squirtle/ZSS (revealed characters that aren't base)

Including a possible Shiek that's 26. So we may only get 4 characters revealed, or we may get 8, who knows.

Before I was assuming that Shiek would be revealed tomorrow as a Zelda transformation, and if not tomorrow than either she would be secret, or not in it. But now it seems like we may well indeed find out definitely more than 1 character on Saturday... perhaps Sakurai doesn't intend to reveal these on the Dojo, maybe they're secret. Personally I doubt we will get another 3rd party character... you never know.

Personally, I just beg to god that 30 isn't the maximum amont of characters. I predicted it may be that little, but if it really was it would just be disappointing, especially since it seems we have 20 Starter base characters.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
The Corocoro thing is legitmate and there is supposed to be new info on the 15th from what I've heard. The whole 30 thing is that there will be 30 PAGES of info on Brawl not only 30 characters. Although it has been speculated that there could possibly be 30 starting characters which would be ridiculous. We will know on the 15th.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
Considering Nintendo hyped Brawl up to wazoo, I think they would have a serious "irate consumer" problem if they only had 30 characters.
Plus, when you have an amazing pool of spectacular and quirky video game characters, the only reasons they have for putting so few characters are: 1. Time constraints and 2. space on the disc.
They already delayed the game so I don't think #1 will be a problem, but I am technologically ******** and don't know anything about the information that can be stored on a Wii disk.

deebz435

Smash Journeyman
There's no doubt in my mind that there will be more than 30 characters. I don't know anything about storing information on a wii disc either, but judging from the amount of stuff that's already in the game I don't think it will be too difficult for them to have a beefy roster.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen this yet?

Basically, we could get as many as 5-10 new characters on Saturday (around there) if this is true, and it also brings up some thoughts...

Here's my theory, shamelessly copied from another forum
Definitely not just 30 characters in the game, I can say that right now. 30 starters seems impossible too....though that would be awesome. xD I'm not really even betting that they are going to show any unlockables either unless they are already characters that have been shown on the Dojo. But who knows?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
DBZBT 3, 161 characters, there should be no reason at all for Brawl to be limited to 30.
In ratio to the quality of the game, the number of characters must go down. I haven't played DBZ:BT3, but with 161 characters, I'm betting it's not worth my time to even rent.

30 still may be a bit too small, but I'd say 35-40 is certainly reasonable. That is, if you want a game worth playing.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
In ratio to the quality of the game, the number of characters must go down. I haven't played DBZ:BT3, but with 161 characters, I'm betting it's not worth my time to even rent.

30 still may be a bit too small, but I'd say 35-40 is certainly reasonable. That is, if you want a game worth playing.
That's true. DBZ: BT3 kind of characters are all exactly the same if you exclude how their moves look differently from each other. So its kinda like they are all clones of each other I guess you could say? I'm guessing it would take up much more time and memory to make each character unique and different.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, that's a point. It is a good game, but all the combos etc are very similar. I guess you could compare it to Soul Calibur III's huge cast of characters too. I don't see why it can't go up to 40 characters in Brawl though.

Top Bottom