• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Who is going to return?" topic

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
The only thing that scares me is that the Star Fox characters won't return. When SSB64 was released Starfox 64 was a major game in the Star Fox series so they had a reason to put him in smash. In Melee they had released Star Fox Adventures a year after it so fox seemed to be a strong Nintendo character. Now they haven't even announced a Star Fox title for the Wii which kind of scares me into thinking none of the Star Fox characters are going to be put onto Brawl.

GenG

Smash Lord
but didnt they say all originls would stay?
They didn't say that. He said that the game would retain all characters untouched but with online functionality IF HE WASN'T the director of the game. But he became director, so that might change.

In one of the entries on the webpage he stated that some characters won't return, but he didn't specified. Sure, we quickly jumped on conclusions and deduced that the most obvious cuts would be the clones, but hey, the poll was for both oldcomers and newcomers, not only for newcomers. People in the US started to send their request about new characters, while in people Japan sent both new and oldcomers suggestions.

Of course, we won't see major stars DK, Yoshi, Falcon or Fox getting the boot, but certain characters like Ice Climbers, G&W, Sheik, Falco, Roy... MAYBE. We won't know who is out until right before the release.

Krian13

Smash Cadet
Spreading chaos and destruction thruout the land
I never played fe6 (it only came out in japan) but a move set built around how roy played in it makes sense, i just dont want his general style from ssbm to be lost, beacause i like the way he plays. give him a different move set but same style(med speed, strong ground, med-weak air).

icymatt

Smash Lord
The only thing that scares me is that the Star Fox characters won't return. When SSB64 was released Starfox 64 was a major game in the Star Fox series so they had a reason to put him in smash. In Melee they had released Star Fox Adventures a year after it so fox seemed to be a strong Nintendo character. Now they haven't even announced a Star Fox title for the Wii which kind of scares me into thinking none of the Star Fox characters are going to be put onto Brawl.
Don't worry, even if they don't announce a Star Fox title until after Brawl comes out, it doesn't stop the series from being one of Nintendo's mains, and thus it will always be represented in Smash Bros.(May I remind people that when SSB64 came out, Metroid and Earthbound hadn't had a new release in 5 years?)

Zink

Smash Champion
I have to say I disagree with the character cuts on principle even though I know it will happen. It just seems like a bad idea- no matter who you cut, there's going to be a group of people who will be mad. Logically I suppose they would cut those with the smallest fanbases, so probably that would be Pichu and... nobody else has a small fanbase, relatively. So if Pichu is the only cut, which I doubt, then he could have come out and said it, as opposed to the possible negative effects of wondering who gets cut.
This also means we can't judge the criteria they are using for cuts- if it's by game ability, then it conflicts with large fanbases- if it's by fanbase, then a few midlevel characters that aren't too popular would be cut.
It just seems to me that keeping all of them is by far the better move. I can't really think of any logical reason to remove anyone, considering how similar the Wii and GCN are.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
There's no Fzero game for the Wii anounced either but Captain Falcon (and proberly Samurai Goroh) will still be there. There is always Command as well.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Well, with StarFox and F-Zero characters, along with others like Pit [IC+G&W], it draws the 17+ year olds who played the original games like StarFox64 [good game] and F-Zero [this I never played, so someone help me].

Whereas, you have TP Link, Snake, ZSamus for newer and/or younger players who are recent recruits who's "originals" games for them will be Twilight Princess and Metroid Fusion/Hunters in the future like SNES and co. for the older folk.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I have to say I disagree with the character cuts on principle even though I know it will happen. It just seems like a bad idea- no matter who you cut, there's going to be a group of people who will be mad. Logically I suppose they would cut those with the smallest fanbases, so probably that would be Pichu and... nobody else has a small fanbase, relatively. So if Pichu is the only cut, which I doubt, then he could have come out and said it, as opposed to the possible negative effects of wondering who gets cut.
This also means we can't judge the criteria they are using for cuts- if it's by game ability, then it conflicts with large fanbases- if it's by fanbase, then a few midlevel characters that aren't too popular would be cut.
It just seems to me that keeping all of them is by far the better move. I can't really think of any logical reason to remove anyone, considering how similar the Wii and GCN are.
the thing is, even though it would be great if nintendo left all of the characters in the game, that limits the number of characters that they can add into the upcomming title. IMO having 65+ characters is too excessive, and undesirable. it will over complicate things. of all the characters elligable for cuts, the logical choices IMO are pichu cuz he is an unpopular clone put in melee to meet the 26 nintendo wanted, roy because there is talk of another FE character entering the title and roy wasnt the best character anyway, y. link because even though he was a fun character, no one was amazingly good with him, he lacked a good killing move, and they still would have 4 other characters from zelda without him. Mewtwo because he turned out to be a bad character(although a fun one to play i think), and if nintendo decides not to go retro, then G&W but last i heard they were looking to include popular retro characters, so probably a make-over for G&W. now, would anyone be sincerely, genuinly angry or upset if those 4 or 5 characters got cut?

icymatt

Smash Lord
I would get mad if Mewtwo and Game&Watch got cut, because they are both original and fun. Why would anyone want them to take out an original character? And really, saying Mewtwo is bad is all subjective. I can beat other people with him.

And of course there's going to be more retro characters, that's a major part of Smash Bros. Nintendo history doesn't span the last 5 years only.

Zink

Smash Champion
I suppose 4-5 characters won't be the end of the world, but I wonder if it's worth it to cut only that many- you anger the fanbase without adding a whole lot more.

icymatt

Smash Lord
They might not be even cut out that many...they're a creative bunch, they could come up with new moves for any of the clones if they wanted.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
When your not playing seriously, but jkust for fun-you know hanging out with some freinds on a saturday night-all the characters have their own style, they are each unique. So therefroe, not for me, but for everyone. I think all the clones should just be luigi-fied. Who can really argue with that?

icymatt

Smash Lord
I think most of the clones wouldn't need to Luigified, but completely revamped. Only Falco should be 'Luigified', but only if they can't think of anything more original for him.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I would get mad if Mewtwo and Game&Watch got cut, because they are both original and fun. Why would anyone want them to take out an original character? And really, saying Mewtwo is bad is all subjective. I can beat other people with him.

And of course there's going to be more retro characters, that's a major part of Smash Bros. Nintendo history doesn't span the last 5 years only.
I would be mad too, but that wouldnt stop me from purchasing the game. And i didnt mean that mewtwo is a crap character, i have "ShadowClaw" saved into my favs on youtube, and that mewtwo would pwn me any day. The point is that, even though he could be a good character, most ppl arent that good w/ him, he is at the very bottom of the teir list, and although I would be sad to see him or any character get the boot, I was meerly stating which characters I could accept getting the boot.

MonkeyMan

Smash Journeyman
well i can see YL staying the same after all he is link, so it kinda would make sense, but i forgot some one came up with new moves and that work out cool as well. I's so confuesed as to what should be done. i guess the new moves would kinda have 1 fit the personality of the character and also shape the fighting style as close to the charaters as possible. Kinda hard to fit Dr. Mario this way cuz, he doesn't do much in his game.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I would be mad too, but that wouldnt stop me from purchasing the game. And i didnt mean that mewtwo is a crap character, i have "ShadowClaw" saved into my favs on youtube, and that mewtwo would pwn me any day. The point is that, even though he could be a good character, most ppl arent that good w/ him, he is at the very bottom of the teir list, and although I would be sad to see him or any character get the boot, I was meerly stating which characters I could accept getting the boot.
I wouldn't not buy the game, either. I just think that him being on the bottom of a tournament players tier list is not good jutification for cutting him, because not all people follow or care about who wins tournaments.

Krian13

Smash Cadet
When the make ylink agian(assuning he doesnt get cut) at the least they should make his equipment look different, ie give him the mm hookshot, razor/fairy/mastersword(ww)one of his mirror shields, and make ww link alt costume or vise versa.one b move to change that i think would be good is downb.

ps mokey man, ment to quote ya

Luigi_Legend

Smash Cadet
Fox McCloud will defitinley be in Brawl (though I can't really say for Falco but I'm prayin). Sure, Adventures and Assault were somewhat panned by the critics (though I personally loved both games), but like someone else said, the SF series is one of Nintendo's main series eventhough some consider it to be at the bottom of the importance pole. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't just ignore one of their most mature characters (the Star Fox games fit the 17+ audience perfectly). And he's an original!

-Legend :luigi:

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
Fox McCloud will defitinley be in Brawl (though I can't really say for Falco but I'm prayin). Sure, Adventures and Assault were somewhat panned by the critics (though I personally loved both games), but like someone else said, the SF series is one of Nintendo's main series eventhough some consider it to be at the bottom of the importance pole. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't just ignore one of their most mature characters (the Star Fox games fit the 17+ audience perfectly). And he's an original!

-Legend :luigi:
i think falco will definately be in brawl but he'l have his own move set this time. bcuz lots of people use him alot he'l definately be there.:lick:

LemonManX

Smash Lord
Falco will probably return with new moves... He is pretty big in the Starfox series after all and apparently quite popular, so he'll probably stay in there.

I hope Roy comes back, he could use a new move set and be put back in there, that way he can possibly be a better character this time. But having said this I'm not entirely sure he will return, he may be replaced (alot of people are suggesting Sigurd and Ike, I like Sigurd so I'd be happy but Ike is lame).

Young Link... I never really saw much point to him besides being a slightly faster Link, and also smaller. I'd like to see him changed to Cel-shaded Link, giving him more unique moves and making him a different character compared to TP Link.

Krian13

Smash Cadet
Falco will probably return with new moves... He is pretty big in the Starfox series after all and apparently quite popular, so he'll probably stay in there.

I hope Roy comes back, he could use a new move set and be put back in there, that way he can possibly be a better character this time. But having said this I'm not entirely sure he will return, he may be replaced (alot of people are suggesting Sigurd and Ike, I like Sigurd so I'd be happy but Ike is lame).

Young Link... I never really saw much point to him besides being a slightly faster Link, and also smaller. I'd like to see him changed to Cel-shaded Link, giving him more unique moves and making him a different character compared to TP Link.
I'd be fine with them changing ylink to wwlink as long as mmlink could be alt outfit or vise versa.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Ice climbers better return...They can replace G&W with pit, but NOT iceclimbers...not that i dont enjoy playing as G&W. He is fun, but i enjoy Ice Climbers MUCH more.Although if they do return, they will probably get downpowered like ness & kirby in ssbm...

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I like that idea!!!! But IDK if G&W will return. I read in what i beleive to be the super smash bros dojo website that G&W may not make it into Brawl...pitty.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
No, i do not beleive that that is the same rumor, but i was just skimming over the post on that site, so i may have missed all that other stuff. If it was the same, then i agree, it is BS.But IDK.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully everyone from Melee except - Mewtwo, G&W, Pichu, Young Link.

Can't think of anyone else right now.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
And G&W and Mewtwo shouldn't return because why?
Because he's no good with them.

Only clones except Gannondorf (and maybe falco) need to be returned as their own, sin ce there are so many possibilities for them to be unique. All other clones, no matter how uber (roy), need to be cut.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Yeah I thought Mew is the clone of Mewtwo.
Anyway like some people said on this site, EVERYBODY from Meele should return. Its nice to see what they all look like in Brawl with a graphic update like Mario and Link had.

Top Bottom