• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
you use the dolphin emulator and play it on the PC. i guess there's like, a netplay client or something, and you just need a melee ISO on your computer to do it

Paff

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I've got some serious business here:

1. "Popo" is Swahili for "bat" (the animal).
2. If Peach whiffs a downsmash, is there enough time for a guaranteed Falcon Punch punish?

Vista

Smash Journeyman
GGs to everyone that came, I had a lot of fun seeing all of you guys again :) I also had a lot of fun being horrible at the game and getting ***** in crews and bracket LOL

But yeah I'll try to come more often; draft crews should keep happening haha

MasterC

Smash Ace
also, i have shane's fb account for the time being... if you want me to post anything strange/unusual/hilarious/etc. lemme kno xD

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yooo

question to you guys (especially otto and ciz), just curious. how many times a week do you usually smash? and do you think there is like, a minimum (or maximum) amount that you "have" to play in order to get better?

or conversely, do you think taking long breaks is beneficial

etc etc

C!Z

Smash Lord
Otto and I play probably play 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes more(depending on ride situations). I personally think playin often keeps you on point, especially with tech skill. I also feel breaks are beneficial, idk what you mean by "long" though. Time to reflect never hurts if you feel like you're not goin anywhere. I really think people need to watch themselves more if they're striving to improve.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
the long breaks are for your hands. those are like a week or two. if u play hells or put in alot of tech work u heat/ice your hands if they are sore.

imo short breaks help rid u of bad habits

MasterC

Smash Ace
yea i don't think "long" breaks would ever b good for your play lol then again i'm not that good and i don't take long breaks nor do i know what you mean by "long" but that's just my advice

i'd play/record/watch everyday if i could, melee's mad tight lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
ah by long breaks I meant like, 2-3 weeks to a month i guess lol

and yeah i'd play all the time if i could LOL but sometimes i have to go way out of my way to play melee or i don't get to play at all, and sometimes i don't feel like it haha. then i worry about like, hmm maybe i'm not playing enough

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
i'd say 2 to 3 times a week is fine / funny how like i'd say the mid tier players like skillwise ranging from below UW and above i'd say ( no offense ) southerners worse than me, it seems freakin hard to rise up out of that skill range and into i'd say the top 5 at least, because anyone at my skill level of play if there on point, its sad to say but your really only breaking like from 10th on PR to like 8th on a good day, just seems like a lot of work to get into the top 6-4 then u got the top 3 who've never really been beaten since the falling out of skypal or sastopher days / screw u BW screw u eggz screw u SW for ****** for so many years haha good stuff

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
Since I took a 3 week - 1 month break, I'll throw in my input.
I felt like when I came back I definitely was more conscious of my gameplay, if I've been playing a lot I tend to autopilot so some time away from the game gave me some perspective.

Not to mention I did watch a fair amount of videos while not playing and felt like that sunk in more when I didn't play. I feel like when you watch vids while not playing you tend to forgot your playstyle and play more like the people you're watching when you do play again. (alteast a little bit). You forget a bit of your muscle memory and more open to new stuff.

I think a 3 weeks to a month is a good break because you don't really forget much about the game and the only thing you may have to regain is a bit of tech skill if that.

MasterC

Smash Ace
lol straight up i see vish/ciz/syler play those top 3 and i just dunno if they'll ever be beaten by a native washingtonian LOL never seen you get at em anthony but (no offense) idk dawg haha

i'll take a break after genesis xD you guys already cop tickets?

Since I took a 3 week - 1 month break, I'll throw in my input.
I felt like when I came back I definitely was more conscious of my gameplay, if I've been playing a lot I tend to autopilot so some time away from the game gave me some perspective.

Not to mention I did watch a fair amount of videos while not playing and felt like that sunk in more when I didn't play. I feel like when you watch vids while not playing you tend to forgot your playstyle and play more like the people you're watching when you do play again. (alteast a little bit). You forget a bit of your muscle memory and more open to new stuff.

I think a 3 weeks to a month is a good break because you don't really forget much about the game and the only thing you may have to regain is a bit of tech skill if that.
yo, you HAVE to stop jumping into **** vish, i think its really bringing you down. you do it literally every time you hit. it goes like this. i knock you away, i run towards u, you jump and i hit. or teddy uthrows and waits for it and u get hit. teddy said u do it every time to. its so bad to be off stage without a jump with falcon. if your playing vs anyone good theyll kill you 90% of the time

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
@master c - i hear ya

and also that i play with syler pretty frequently, kinda my mentor, when it comes to like playing vish / c!z, i'm pretty sure i'd get wrecked, and sylers tryin to get back to where he was, actually get back into his prime

Sk8nMasta

Smash Apprentice
yo im fron kennewick wa (tri cities wa 250 miles from seattle)
i wanna play somone!! iv never met somone better than me so comon guys beat me already!! will do money matches and drive to you thats how much i want somone to whomp me

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Vish, You should have a smash session with Teddy. He will break you of that habit pretty quickly. Pretty much becuase everytime you do it he will laugh at you and tell you not to jump.

Jumping out of **** works sometimes but not when it becomes a habit.

Lets play soon the ^_^

Otto/vish/c!Z Ill have recording equipment at Pound 5 so if u do any mms or something and want them recorded or whatever Ill have my lap top and **** with me.

IS there a GC next month b4 the 18th?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Oh word. Im prob just chillin, workin on some more tech stuff and I prob wont wanna play till friday saturday I guess.

idk ill just hit u up. But I primarily said this weekend cuz Vish has school, and I asked him if he was free, u said if by free u mean chillin wit his boy C!Z, so I asked u if u was tryna smash this weekend.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I'm more talkin about why he quoted what I said. There was just a lot of unneccessary jumbo in there. Aka he coulda just said Vish has school. I all ready know what I said. The only question I asked was why the weekend.

Top Bottom