• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well it is a supply and demand but not for max profit. its a weird thing, like first and foremost we want people to enter, then we want winners to be rewarded. but if we can get to the point where we are rocking pools or around 50 entrants...its a give and take. I don't mean this in a douchey way or as a complaint, but otto doesn't need to make much more than what he got this turney. so if we had a significant number more u still have that balance of ppl entering for fun and *****s tryin to cake up. basically its like why charge more for a soda just because you can. also its partially because of venue fee. gc guy use to take a cut of winning at ten bucks, which worked out to about 7of every every into the pot. imo it was the perfect balance if we had more people, its not 5 into the pot, but its not ten either.

and like I said, we pay ten bucks more for the same number of entrants than hella other places and communities. salty run backs get like 40 and charge a flat 5. imo we would get more people, im happy with 40 man tourneys, but if we can consistently do better why not go for it, always trying to expand vs coast, just on to the next step, like we are trying to market melee. its like if it was lower for a little bit, then it goes back up to ten, **** just circulates. there is a reason big corporations have sales and temporary price fluctuations.

imo update 4 times a year. every 3 months or every 3 tournaments with significant wa participation. after gc we should update, and after apex, that is 3 tournaments a piece.

and imo again, nate moves down not drops off. vista drops and drops off if he misses next gc. and currently id vote kamaji over toph, but obviously wait till next gc, I hear stefan and andreas and syler are coming to shake things up.

and yea other than that andy I completely agree about being more strict and rigid and just trying to be more consistent with methods and people trying to be more consistent in tournament.

:phone:

i-still-dont-see-the-logic-in-lowering-the-entry-fee-once-we-already-have-more-players-entering.

i-really-dont-see-more-than-5-people-entering-(tops)-at-a-single-gc-cuz-of-lowered-entry-fee.-i-dont-see-5-weak-noob-*****-players-making-the-tourney-much-better-than-a-super-pimp-payout-bonanza.-im-not-just-sayin-that-cuz-i-want-money-either-lol.-more-money-involved-is-just-more-motivation-for-the-players-anyways.-we-could-pay-out-to-4th-or-something-if-we-have-more-people.-kline-i-dont-wanna-read-another-long-***-post-unless-you-have-some-really-good-points-or-are-completely-serious-about-inforcing-a-lower-entry.

take-away-our-10-entry-and-shane-will-prob-continue-not-caring-about-winning-lolz

EDIT:-its-bad-enough-our-teams-had-to-be-lowered.-even-tho-i-suppose-its-reasonable-with-how-few-teams-there-are

EDIT:--YO,-at-least-me-and-toph-are-trying-to-hit-up-oregon.-whos-down-to-drive??

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
shane will still care about winning.

I was completely serious, but I was looking down the road.

the logic is there, its done all the time by marketing companies, and I definitely think it could make a significant difference implemented at the right time. I wasn't asking for the very near future. it was just a question really.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hmmm.. yea idk if I should offer input but it's simple as this:

If you don't wanna b on PR, don't go to GC and place... if you place, place as best you can... if you don't get the place you want, tough luck... we all kno how good kris/shane are but if things keep up, they will b placed accordingly... at least that's how I feel about it, you get what you get
LOL wtf? Shane won the last tournament. I like how #3 loses to #4 in ONE 2/3 and suddenly everyone makes a big fuss about it. Nobody talked about bumping Shane up to #1 after he beat Otto in two 3/5 sets though.

One tournament is one tournament, hahaha

Edit: I'm with Otto on the entry fee thing.

everyone-isnt-making-a-big-fuss,-let-alone-anyone.-only-charles-mentioned-shane-possibly-moving-if-this-keeps-up,-and-thats-cuz-vish-beat-him-twice-recently.

i-also-beat-shane-in-a-set-last-tourney-and-took-the-ones-i-lost-in-to-5th-game.(so-he-really-only-won-1-more-game-than-i-did-lol)-also-shanes-been-losing-to-teddy-and-me-whereas-ive-only-lost-those-sets-toshane-recently-and-won-everything-else-including-a-recent-canada-tourney.-different-situations

edit:-of-course-shane-wouldnt-be-bumped-up-to-1-from-3-like-that-either.-he-lost-to-teddy-a-lot-recently.-just-sayin

edit2:-and-for-the-record,-shanes-def-not-in-peril-with-his-#3-spot-haha.-he-did-win-the-last-tourney-after-all

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm with otto on the entry fee not that what i say should matter because i haven't entered a gameclucks tournament and actually payed for it in like 3 years LOL

but dropping it to $5 to get 4 more pot filler entries wouldn't really be helping much

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
its coo, It wasn't a big deal, I wouldn't have brought it up if I was interested in 5 more pot fillers.

and na miguel, atm id get dropped b4 evan, but there are a couple people that may get dropped b4 me.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Can the power ranking be effected by one tournament outcome, or does it have to happen consistently for awhile to change it? (Say I walked in and placed first next time for whatever reason, what would be the outcome?)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if it's anything like it used to be it depends on the circumstance, people generally dont just jump up in rankings a huge amount at one time - but there are some circumstances where that's fair...

for example let's say everyone you play is playing amazing and you absolutely DOMINATE everyone at the event HARD then you'd see some jumps, but it's not like you'd be first right away

socal used to have a rule that you couldn't be ranked above 20th or something your first time on their rankings (they were like 25 deep of very good players who were all ranked at the time)

now granted i broke that rule hard when i moved down there, but it was one of those different circumstances which can come up... because i wasn't really "new" by any means... but regardless...

you gotta be doing good to be ranked good looool

gotta put in work.

MasterC

Smash Ace
LOL toph wit the HATE, I just call it like I see it bro :p

And yea, we all got some work to do haha

Blake/Pookie: if we roll deep to that OR tourney you down to ride? I remember you sayin somethin about being interested... also, you should add me on fb LOL Char Lee Bennett - masterc47@gmail.com

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
You guys should definitely come down.

I think so far we have 5 people that are definitely coming up next time, unless something terrible happens between now and then. I think that we will probably end up having more.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
So, we gonna see chip kick iceman off that power ranking soon?
Ya atm vista, kline, and Nate are going before me. Also im seriously considering making my falco good just to play vs sheik. I hate the mu with the heat of a thousand suns (Felix got me to last stock both games with sheik and i know he doesn't practice melee worth **** and im not about to lose to mediocre sheiks).

Big Pookie

Smash Apprentice
LOL toph wit the HATE, I just call it like I see it bro :p

And yea, we all got some work to do haha

Blake/Pookie: if we roll deep to that OR tourney you down to ride? I remember you sayin somethin about being interested... also, you should add me on fb LOL Char Lee Bennett - masterc47@gmail.com

yeah dude that would be sick, just gotta check out the days for work and ****. ill throw down some cash for gas and buds for the rides. do you know when we would be leaving and getting back?

Jem.

Smash Master
something mikehaze does in SoCal I believe for the big tournaments he hosts is he posts flyers around, and if new players bring the flyer in and are a first time player, they get cheaper entry. (Since they will likely 0-2 anyways) Then since most fans of the game enough to go to a tournament enjoy it, they'll be fine with paying $10 every tournament after that.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Alright good to know.

And don't think I'm actually expecting to do that Gimpy, lol. I know I have a lot of work to do, I was just wondering.

Also, I might make it to Portland. Idk though.

MasterC

Smash Ace
Ya atm vista, kline, and Nate are going before me. Also im seriously considering making my falco good just to play vs sheik. I hate the mu with the heat of a thousand suns (Felix got me to last stock both games with sheik and i know he doesn't practice melee worth **** and im not about to lose to mediocre sheiks).
fu** it! i'm going sheik when i see you next in bracket evan! :p

LOL pookie, idk man but it's NEXT SATURDAY (not this one) so like the 19th... we'd prob leave early sat morning and come back late sat night cuz Ptown is like 2.5 hours away

BUT if we do go you should come up friday night so we can practice and chill n sh**, plus heading out would be way easier cuz we wouldn't hafta pick ppl up or go outta our way etc...

EDIT: what andy said, @Ratking... how many setups/entrants you guys usually have?

Syler

Smash Journeyman
im not about to lose to mediocre sheiks).
Oh you suck at that MU too!! Your going to have nightmares playing me then lol wonder if I should go peach or shiek or some random char you don't know how to fight. Then you can john some more when you lose :p

That wassup iceman. playing cpus really helps falco so do that.

I wish we had some birds in our state

If your talking about falco that's all the south is minus puyallup x_X

MasterC

Smash Ace
really otto? playing cpus? sh** i guess i need to pull a kline and hit the hyperbolic time chamber by myself then LOL

i love syler's sh** talk tho, so elegant yet so dirtyyyyyyyy

ThePrime

Smash Lord
well i am picking up the bird as an official secondary in prep for apex. I'll be coming over more often otto dont worry by lil dude.

Yea playing cpus is crucial for falco imo. You wanna be able to **** when you get a hit in and cpus just speed up the process of being consistent with combos.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
fu** it! i'm going sheik when i see you next in bracket evan! :p

LOL pookie, idk man but it's NEXT SATURDAY (not this one) so like the 19th... we'd prob leave early sat morning and come back late sat night cuz Ptown is like 2.5 hours away

BUT if we do go you should come up friday night so we can practice and chill n sh**, plus heading out would be way easier cuz we wouldn't hafta pick ppl up or go outta our way etc...

EDIT: what andy said, @Ratking... how many setups/entrants you guys usually have?
Setups depends. I feel like there is usually 5 or 6? This is in part because of brawl happening at the same time, and lack of cubes/wii's I think.

People entering depends. Last time was around 16 I feel like? Might be wrong on this, the time before that we had just shy of 30. It really depends. I am trying really hard to get everyone here this time though. If that happens we easily will have around 30 or more. If all the southern people come, and all the northern people don't John out, it should be chill.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
Oh you suck at that MU too!! Your going to have nightmares playing me then lol wonder if I should go peach or shiek or some random char you don't know how to fight. Then you can john some more when you lose :p
Unfortunately that would involve you actually coming to tournament and if you go peach you're not gonna have it easy lol, I think its mostly because sheik marth is just a ****ty mu but whatev

Syler

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately that would involve you actually coming to tournament and if you go peach you're not gonna have it easy lol, I think its mostly because sheik marth is just a ****ty mu but whatev
Unfortunately? Lol I don’t come cuz I haven’t cared for the game in a long time. Hence why i barely touch the game. But it’s more unfortunate you still got that cocky attitude and still john everytime you lose. 10 bucks says if i beat you with peach you would have some john about not normally playing against her/i have a weird playing style. Not that i would do wast my time with that, i was just ****ing with you. With that said, half the time I troll you cuz you make yourself an easy target cuz of what I just mentioned. And I know how easily you get butthurt. But I got nothing to prove playing you this coming tourney unfortunately =/. (though i am coming).

Otto if I come you mind putting me against one of the baatz brother’s or eggz? Or that *** andy lol <3 i wanna see how those matches go and im coming for a challenge but a fun one at that.

EDIT: i will say this though evan you seem to have gotten better and beating banana's fox should be easy money.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lmao ciz, thats not what I was getting at. but im still looking, and also working on a business.

evan, marth sheik is pretty even dude.

syler-glad ur coming :)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I've been training on cpus with Mario a lot while sick - practicing mobility and basic combo sense - cpu practice is important though if you do it with the right mentality

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately? Lol I don’t come cuz I haven’t cared for the game in a long time. Hence why i barely touch the game. But it’s more unfortunate you still got that cocky attitude and still john everytime you lose. 10 bucks says if i beat you with peach you would have some john about not normally playing against her/i have a weird playing style. Not that i would do wast my time with that, i was just ****ing with you. With that said, half the time I troll you cuz you make yourself an easy target cuz of what I just mentioned. And I know how easily you get butthurt. But I got nothing to prove playing you this coming tourney unfortunately =/. (though i am coming).

Otto if I come you mind putting me against one of the baatz brother’s or eggz? Or that *** andy lol <3 i wanna see how those matches go and im coming for a challenge but a fun one at that.

EDIT: i will say this though evan you seem to have gotten better and beating banana's fox should be easy money.
Nah its over for me johning about mu's because im off the island lol. Im pretty solid on every high tier mu (except ic's) so there's no legit john i would have, if you play different than im used to I'll just have to adapt. Also I don't think you've ever met me in person which is sorta strange seeing as you apparently know so much about me. If you want to mm next gc let me know.

pandacheck

Smash Ace
It only looks big because he exchanged the 20 dollar bill u lost to him and got 20 1's that he carries in his pocket so his draws got a big buldge

Top Bottom