• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@qB, I'd rather people point out all the issues than keep them shut up and hidden. I can come up to a solution for anything, as long as we know somethings not right.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Dude's been complaining about the same thing for months. I'm pretty sure the points been taken by now.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
@Ill's big post.

First off, you're numbers are wrong. Please recall how the ELO system works. Points are exchanged, never gained or lost. So in your first example we see:

Player 1 1800
Player 2 1750
Player 3 1700
Player 4 1620
Player 5 1590
Player 6 1580

Since everyone started at 1600, P1 somehow gained 200 points, P2 150 points, and so on. There are WAY more points gained than loss. This does not show a balanced ELO system.

I ran the numbers using your second example: 6 players, 1 always wins, 1 always gets second, and the rest random, spaced out between 4 tournaments. Compare your numbers (unbalanced and not true ELO) with mine:

Best Player - 1720.85
2nd Best Player - 1596.81
Random C - 1589.50
Random D - 1577.68
Random A - 1577.43
Random B - 1548.36

Secondly, I have already addressed the issue regarding too many tournaments occurring in one city verses other cities. SA and RGV are prime examples. I have discovered a fix for this, but have been unable to implement it. I spent my time restructuring the code base and making it simple so that others can use my program. I will get to the issue of too many tourneys soon.

Anything else Illmatic?
Ok, I understand what you are asying about the ELO but it doesn't change the fact that nothing can be done about the fact that people can camp in their cities.

I appreciate that you are looking for a fix.

Using your example.....

If kprime is too high on the pr due to the amount of events in san Antonio then that means he's clearly not that good. So when he travels to Houston or Dallas(for example) he will be ***** by players who are better than him and thus he will not only lose points but he will lose MORE than he should because he's also higher than he should. That will bring him down and balance the list. Problem fixed.

Btw, this doesn't happen because your examples do not apply to kprime. His spot on the pr is more or less correct.

:phone:
This may also be true but it doesn't cover the MAIN problem. He can go back to his city, beat players that aren't as good as City 2 and get right back to where he was (or even better) if he decides not to travel.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Using your example.....

If kprime is too high on the pr due to the amount of events in san Antonio then that means he's clearly not that good. So when he travels to Houston or Dallas(for example) he will be ***** by players who are better than him and thus he will not only lose points but he will lose MORE than he should because he's also higher than he should. That will bring him down and balance the list. Problem fixed.

Btw, this doesn't happen because your examples do not apply to kprime. His spot on the pr is more or less correct.

^This.

If you win a match, you get points from your opponent. The distance between the two also affects the exchange of points.

If someone isn't "in the right place" on the PR, losing to someone below will take away points and they'll fall down the list.

If people stay in the same city and never travel, then the points will just shuffled around the city.

z00ted

If someone isn't in the "right place" they will fall down for 1 tournament.

Then they will host 8 more in their city and go back to the "right place".

By the time of the next update, you won't even notice what has happened.

Also, Ill, you can't go around running your mouth about problems without a solution. You have yet to provide a solution other than the suggestion of a panel, which, for everyone that's been here longer than you, knows is an even bigger problem. So, come back with a solution, or don't. Simple as that.

This is a really poor post.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
...but it doesn't change the fact that nothing can be done about the fact that people can camp in their cities.

I appreciate that you are looking for a fix.
Excuse me? Didn't I just say I figured out a way to fix this...

If you can THINK something, I can CODE it. Example, you think the numbers are wrong and scaled incorrectly; me: I come up with an algorithm to correct them. We know it's possible, even if we don't know how. I figure out the "how" ;)

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Illmatic, as I said before, no system is perfect but this one is far better than the rest. Stop complaining! That's all u do.

z00ted

Excuse me? Didn't I just say I figured out a way to fix this...

If you can THINK something, I can CODE it. Example, you think the numbers are wrong and scaled incorrectly; me: I come up with an algorithm to correct them. We know it's possible, even if we don't know how. I figure out the "how" ;)
sweet .

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If someone isn't in the "right place" they will fall down for 1 tournament.

Then they will host 8 more in their city and go back to the "right place".

By the time of the next update, you won't even notice what has happened.
Okay, well, if people are really that crazy enough to host two months worth of tourneys JUST to keep previous ranking from two months ago, they really need another hobby...

And it won't matter in the long run, because the better player will eventually surpass that person, especially if they fight again and again.

z00ted

RT, you aren't getting it. If they even host ONE tournament in their city and place well immediately after placing poorly in another it will almost negate the fact that they placed poorly in the first one.

Illmatic, as I said before, no system is perfect but this one is far better than the rest. Stop complaining! That's all u do.

I knew you would say this. You always fall back on "Nothing is perfect. This is far better than the rest."

All the other regions find a way to rank with a panel.. why can't we?
I'm also sorry, I "complain" when I write out my thoughts on a situation in a civil manner. Yeah, that's complaining. I guess I should just shutup and not say anything?

nah

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Most if not all other regions are incorrect and have people fighting over it. LIKE I SAID, no system is perfect but ELO is by far the best. Unless u use my system cause mine is flawless.

Reizilla

Feel free to complain. Just know that it gets old after three months of not stopping about the same thing.

Have you read any other region's panel discussion? It's absolutely terrible. This also serves more than just ranking a couple of players.....

I don't think anyone should need to explain this all to you by now. Just go reeread the first post or something.

z00ted

This system rewards players who play more often and over a longer period of time.

Would anyone be up for a reset every season? It would most likely fix some problems and prove obvious flaws in others (which won't be too drastic because of the short period of time).

Nike.

Smash Hero
I look at alot of Power Ranking releases for multiple states. There's still ALOT of drama on them.

We're too spread out.
Florida and Cali also fit this case.
Cali splits theirs up by SoCal and NorCal. They can do panels because everyone on each list plays each other
(San Antonio, RGV, and Austin now have their own PR's and there pretty darn accurate).
Florida uses the panel system still. One time I actually got popcorn for that thread.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
This system rewards players who play more often and over a longer period of time.

Would anyone be up for a reset every season? It would most likely fix some problems and prove obvious flaws in others (which won't be too drastic because of the short period of time).
A reset does not resolve the issue of "playing too much". Think about it carefully.

My solution does, however.

Reizilla

Just curious, Zac, what is your solution? I don't believe you've posted it yet, or I must have just missed it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
RT, you aren't getting it. If they even host ONE tournament in their city immediately after placing poorly in another it will almost negate the fact that they placed poorly in the first one.
How so?

You get more points from beating people that are above of you than below. Say a top player loses a large number of points, I'll say 20 because whatever. They host another tournament, but everyone in the tournament is severely below them. Yeah, they would still gain some points but very few because the distance between the players is tremendous. Could he make up that lost 20 points? Possibly, but there has to be decent number of entrants.

Honestly, if we held a Houston only tourney today, how many points do you think Gnes or Razer will get? Probably like...5 or 10 or some small number. How much could they potentially lose if they lose to like l337sm4sh3r or Jimboooooooooooooooooooo? Probably more than double the above amounts.

I'm making up random numbers, but you get my point.

z00ted

How so?

You get more points from beating people that are above of you than below. Say a top player loses a large number of points, I'll say 20 because whatever. They host another tournament, but everyone in the tournament is severely below them. Yeah, they would still gain some points but very few because the distance between the players is tremendous. Could he make up that lost 20 points? Possibly, but there has to be decent number of entrants.

Honestly, if we held a Houston only tourney today, how many points do you think Gnes or Razer will get? Probably like...5 or 10 or some small number. How much could they potentially lose if they lose to like l337sm4sh3r or Jimboooooooooooooooooooo? Probably more than double the above amounts.

I'm making up random numbers, but you get my point.
I already know this RT. This isn't really what I'm trying to say - but whatever.

Zac, how would your solution function?

z00ted

:( .

im searching this - can't find it.

im so confused

whatever.

I TRUST YOU ZAC!

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh, I wanna be put on there! Even if I'm at the bottom lol. Of course... I would think I wouldn't be at the very bottom.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You have no idea how much I love this PR.
I'm both just below Paw and just above Morningstar. :DDDD

I HAVE SOME OF SAN ANTONIO SURROUNDED.

Reizilla

URGENT TEXAS SMASH BREAKING DISCOVERY

Kilik, who when part of the RGV was F tier, moved back to Houston and within two moths got into E tier. According to certain salt-mine logic, this can only mean one thing:

RGV > Houston

Get at me. RGV da bess.

Tesh

Smash Hero

After skimming through most of these pages after the update I have to agree 99.5% with Xyro. There is no system that will perfectly rank anyone on anything. AT LEAST you can appreciate that this system is free of bias. In another state, you might just need to buddy up with enough panelists to get top 10 on PR without being top 10 material. This really isn't worth arguing about. The only super inaccurate parts are the ones that dont matter, like F tier and E Tier (maybe D Tier).

Just curious though, is there some way to pull a player's track record for a season or something?

Also how would I get 8 points to get out of F Tier? Just gimmie and example of what needs to be done?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Just curious though, is there some way to pull a player's track record for a season or something?

Also how would I get 8 points to get out of F Tier? Just gimmie and example of what needs to be done?
This is possible, it's just I don't have it coded yet. Almost unnecessary, cause if I make it I'd be bombarded with requests about track records. I'll consider this though.

Check out how points are calculated, first post. Then you can figure out how to gain/lose points.

z00ted

Shouldn't ESAM's ELO be ranked a bit higher than 1900 considering his past accomplishments?

Tesh

Smash Hero
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang Illmatic. you realize that puts him as 6th best in texas anyway right? If you want more points, just start beating razer, gnes, trela and jerm at locals.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh boy, here we go...

z00ted

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang Illmatic. you realize that puts him as 6th best in texas anyway right? If you want more points, just start beating razer, gnes, trela and jerm at locals.
I'm pretty sure ESAM is capable of beating almost every player on our PR.

He has a positive record against Razer (our #1) and a lot of other top players in our state, so you can get that "beat Jerm, Trela, Razer, Gnes" crap out of here because I'm pretty sure you would want points you earned regardless of what event it was at.

z00ted

Whatever, frak it.

I don't even care about this anymore. I don't want anyone getting worked up or upset over some stupid PR system that I don't even agree with.

I'll just continue to try and beat people...regardless if I get to see a accurate depiction of my progress or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom