• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

B0NK

Smash Lord
Olimar is bodied by ICs and loses to MK harder than ICs. Olimar also loses to Falco while ICs crush him.
I don't think Olimar loses to MK harder. It's about the same when the MK knows the match up. ICs lose worse if the MK bothered to learn the SoPo match up, but MKs rarely bothered to learn any match up so why would I expect that.

Olimar does better against Pikachu and Snake, and I guess ZSS? That's basically it.
And the rest of the cast you didn't mention. There's a reason you have Delux saying **** like "I can't beat GnW and D3 with ICs," it's harder than it looks when a player bothers to learn ICs game.

ICs also historically place better than Olimars. SKTAR 3, Apex 2014 are two notable examples that are recent.

ICs > Olimar.
I'd expect ICs to do better than Oli with those stagelist and when the best Olimar players don't show up too.

MK/ICs MUs is a large factor in how I look at the tier lists, because if you can't beat the character who zero-deaths you for free, you're hosed, and if you can't beat the best character in the game, you're hosed. I don't mean a winning MU, I just mean keep up enough to try to get a victory. That's why I specifically referenced ICs vs Olimar - it's a key MU that Olimar loses.
It's gr8 cause I've seen IC mains say it's an even match up. I don't believe that, but I do believe going only Olimar is much more effective than going only ICs in tournaments.

But then again, you don't believe Olimar does better than ICs in most match ups so I can see where you're coming from. I just disagree with you.

Unless you live in an area where they ban handoffs and whatnot - then yeah, I can see why ICs are lower on your list.
Nah I lived in two areas where people bother to learn the ICs match-up. There were other regions that did too, then those regions stop playing Brawl around the end of 2011 because P:M was out and popular and MK was still not banned.

Also I probably think ICs win more match ups then you think, but I also think Olimar does better than you think in all match ups across the board.

You mention making it for a ruleset you agree with, but it's about the current ruleset, not the ruleset you'd like to see - or else for some, MK wouldn't appear on the list... and that list would be inaccurate because it wouldn't factor him in. The same issue applies here.
If you're going to have MK be legal, I believe you shouldn't be tailoring a ruleset to make him bearable to most people. If you don't believe MK is broken enough to be banned, then leave the stagelist the same as it once was.

The current ruleset is "We admit MK is broken, but we don't want him banned cause that wouldn't be fair to my MK friends that never bothered to learn another character."

I will never agree with that ruleset. Also I don't believe and MK banned tier list would look any different than mine if you took MK off my list. Can't really say the same about other list.

People started to believe ICs were in their own tier as other not MK maining top players either quit or just used MK shortly after 2011. Also during the end of 2011 stagelist were made in heavy favoritism for ICs.

If you guys didn't want to play ICs game, you shouldn't have buffed them by removing all the stages. Playing against MK on Rainbow Cruise is more fun than playing against ICs on FD.

Playing as or against ICs is nothing like any other match up in the game, it's a very boring match up to watch and play. I personally am very happy ICs aren't in Smash 4, so we don't have to deal with a character that doesn't play Brawl. ICs play "who's going to screw up or choke first."

#afk

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I can beat GnW for the most part.

DDD however is unbeatable.

DeLux

Also historically speaking, I think Nietono's reign over Japan was during the beginning of and longer than 9B's rise to power. If I'm wrong correct me someone.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Olimar is bodied by MK? Sincewhen? I always thought Olimar was one of the few characters that actually did better against MK then most.

Oli loses horribly to ICs because he loses a pivotal part of his kit, grabbing.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Oli can't grab ICs?

News to me.
You grab one just to get hit out of it by the other. You get punished for grabbing, even if you get it successfully, unless the ICs are far apart from another and Oli can't separate them all that well. Techincally you can grab them but it's such a bad option you shouldn't do it except during very certain scenarios that won't happen that often.

B0NK

Smash Lord
That's not how it works at all.

Olimar has fast throws, he can grab ICs.

Olimar's usually do b-throw Popo to charge d-smash on Nana as she runs through Oli.

I don't think any of you know how to play or play against ICs huh?

(I guess I'll point out that no one ever said Oli gets bodied by MK. I have him as the 2nd best character on my list for a reason lol. I'm also not denying that ICs beat Oli, but you think ICs do for the wrong reasons.)

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't think Olimar loses to MK harder. It's about the same when the MK knows the match up. ICs lose worse if the MK bothered to learn the SoPo match up, but MKs rarely bothered to learn any match up so why would I expect that.

And the rest of the cast you didn't mention. There's a reason you have Delux saying **** like "I can't beat GnW and D3 with ICs," it's harder than it looks when a player bothers to learn ICs game.

I'd expect ICs to do better than Oli with those stagelist and when the best Olimar players don't show up too.

It's gr8 cause I've seen IC mains say it's an even match up. I don't believe that, but I do believe going only Olimar is much more effective than going only ICs in tournaments.

But then again, you don't believe Olimar does better than ICs in most match ups so I can see where you're coming from. I just disagree with you.

Nah I lived in two areas where people bother to learn the ICs match-up. There were other regions that did too, then those regions stop playing Brawl around the end of 2011 because P:M was out and popular and MK was still not banned.

Also I probably think ICs win more match ups then you think, but I also think Olimar does better than you think in all match ups across the board.

If you're going to have MK be legal, I believe you shouldn't be tailoring a ruleset to make him bearable to most people. If you don't believe MK is broken enough to be banned, then leave the stagelist the same as it once was.

The current ruleset is "We admit MK is broken, but we don't want him banned cause that wouldn't be fair to my MK friends that never bothered to learn another character."

I will never agree with that ruleset. Also I don't believe and MK banned tier list would look any different than mine if you took MK off my list. Can't really say the same about other list.

People started to believe ICs were in their own tier as other not MK maining top players either quit or just used MK shortly after 2011. Also during the end of 2011 stagelist were made in heavy favoritism for ICs.

If you guys didn't want to play ICs game, you shouldn't have buffed them by removing all the stages. Playing against MK on Rainbow Cruise is more fun than playing against ICs on FD.

Playing as or against ICs is nothing like any other match up in the game, it's a very boring match up to watch and play. I personally am very happy ICs aren't in Smash 4, so we don't have to deal with a character that doesn't play Brawl. ICs play "who's going to screw up or choke first."

#afk
1. You literally talked your way around, but didn't actually address, the most important point I made: We don't design a tier list for the ruleset we want, we design one for the ruleset as it is. DeLux mentioned elsewhere changing it up for Apex 2015, but if it doesn't stick, it doesn't matter - the tier list is to be constructed with top level play in mind using the current ruleset.

You can disagree all you want, but your opinion about it is then irrelevant - Xyro can make all the tier lists with all the rules he wants, if his tier lists don't list MK in them, then in the context of Apex 2015 [in which I did not read has an "MK is banned" clause in the ruleset], it's worthless.

2. Learn the DDD MUs then. I've seen footage of Vex beating NAKAT and Vinnie - both could be considered top players [I guess - I feel like they're closer to second tier of the top nowadays but w/e] but both also dropped CGs against him - yeah he's beaten good ICs, but they each dropped CGs and both sets were close. That MU is listed as -3 for a reason - it's probably -2 instead, but if you lose the MU, you have a lot of room to improve against them, as a player, or both (but doesn't everyone?). Or else direct me to a Dedede god you've faced that's recorded, since I'm interested in seeing why you think he's so difficult. The GnW ICs MU is ICs-favored as well (if you have vids of that too, I'm interested).

Or do ICs players john about how hard ICs-Falco is, and I've just never seen the other half (so to speak)?

3. You have grab invulnerability for a second after being thrown or grab released - ICs CGs wouldn't exist, and I'm sure they'd avoid (or patch) wobbling, so your only options would be the locks (that as you mentioned earlier, are SDIable). ICs then don't have a reason to not be in Smash 4 besides hardware limitations. I may not enjoy being chain-grabbed by ICs but I want them back for Smash 4 since them CGing would be a thing of the past.

4. For what it's worth...

I'm fairly certain Nairo understands the SoPo MU, and yet he lost to 9B at SKTAR 3. There are other examples of people losing to ICs even if they know the MU (unless it's straight from his mouth, you can't honestly expect me to believe that M2K wouldn't know an MU against a top tier, even if it's the secondary MU of SoPo vs ICs, and he's dropped sets to them.)

And I did mention other parts of the cast, but as I said, you're not going to hit them too often, and some of those characters do fine against Olimar but not ICs (Fox, Ness, perhaps Pit?... there are a few others but those are the ones I can think of that have a potentially relevant player base). I can't think of any notable GnW and could only name one DDD that would make an impact at a national like Apex (and I could name at least one Peach, perhaps 2). But given that your odds of hitting such a name are very low relative to hitting another MK, the MK/X MU is more important. And that's where our opinions diverge. So I guess we're at an impasse then.

Olimar is bodied by MK? Sincewhen? I always thought Olimar was one of the few characters that actually did better against MK then most.
I think in terms of fighting MK, Olimar is a bit lower than most the other top tiers at fighting him (namely I think Pikachu, Snake, Falco, ICs, and Diddy Kong perform better against him, albeit very slightly). I say that as in there's some like 50-50 (mostly stage dependent) and 55-45 MUs whereas I think MK Olimar is closer to 60-40 (or 57-43 or whatever). However others clearly disagree with me, and you may be among those who disagree, hence our difference in opinion. I don't think I said bodies (if I did, I was exaggerating) but I think MK wins it more solidly than other high-tier MUs he has.

B0NK

Smash Lord
tl;dr

afk

EDIT: I'll read it tomorrow, I work a 9 to 5 and need to sleep cause I'm an old man. It's what happens when you've been playing Brawl since it came out.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think in terms of fighting MK, Olimar is a bit lower than most the other top tiers at fighting him (namely I think Pikachu, Snake, Falco, ICs, and Diddy Kong perform better against him, albeit very slightly). I say that as in there's some like 50-50 (mostly stage dependent) and 55-45 MUs whereas I think MK Olimar is closer to 60-40 (or 57-43 or whatever). However others clearly disagree with me, and you may be among those who disagree, hence our difference in opinion. I don't think I said bodies (if I did, I was exaggerating) but I think MK wins it more solidly than other high-tier MUs he has.
Olimar is bodied by ICs and loses to MK harder than ICs.
Either I misread or misinterpreted that, or something, as Olimar loses hard to ICs, which I agree, and loses even harder to MK, which I don't agree. :L

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Let me just say, reread my post again @ Thor Thor . I never said D3 is difficult, I said DeLux finds him difficult for a reason. Those match ups truly are harder than people make them out to be on Smashboards.

And I've played both Coney and Vex in tourney lmao

I've been around for a while.

DeLux

I will be 100% honest - The reason the ICs DDD MU is listed as -3 was because I originally wanted to agree to -2 (or even for -1 but I'm always in the minority), but then one of the DDD panelists made some crazy argument that if Mario was -2 (and being argued for -1), then DDD was just as good against ICs if not better, so that's why it should be -1 ratio or some other crazy reasoning that had nothing to do with the MU.

So then we had to actually argue and since we were pulling out BS arguments just to make our characters look better, I pointed out that the previous tierlist/mu chart was made under the premise that RC / Brinstar were legal, which was no longer the case. So if the ICs no longer had auto losses, then the MU could have only gotten harder since the last MU chart.

Which was ironic since I actually really think the MU is -1 and not -3 lol
I might have misstated some of the finer points since it was a long time ago, but that's what I recall and if I'm wrong or this constitutes leaking then my bad.

Now you know why I don't follow the tier lists or the MU chart lol

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Either I misread or misinterpreted that, or something, as Olimar loses hard to ICs, which I agree, and loses even harder to MK, which I don't agree. :L
Yeah, I said "Olimar is bodied by ICs and loses to MK harder than ICs", which was supposed to be read as (for clarity over brevity), "Olimar gets bodied by ICs and Olimar loses to MK harder than ICs loses to MK." However, it was ambiguous, my fault. If you disagree with that, then ok.

I will be 100% honest - The reason the ICs DDD MU is listed as -3 was because I originally wanted to agree to -2 (or even for -1 but I'm always in the minority), but then one of the DDD panelists made some crazy argument that if Mario was -2 (and being argued for -1), then DDD was just as good against ICs if not better, so that's why it should be -1 ratio or some other crazy reasoning that had nothing to do with the MU.

So then we had to actually argue and since we were pulling out BS arguments just to make our characters look better, I pointed out that the previous tierlist/mu chart was made under the premise that RC / Brinstar were legal, which was no longer the case. So if the ICs no longer had auto losses, then the MU could have only gotten harder since the last MU chart.

Which was ironic since I actually really think the MU is -1 and not -3 lol
I might have misstated some of the finer points since it was a long time ago, but that's what I recall and if I'm wrong or this constitutes leaking then my bad.

Now you know why I don't follow the tier lists or the MU chart lol
One erroneous MU on the chart and you throw out the whole thing alongside the tier list? That seems excessive...

If you can't explain to someone why the chart is what it is (leaking) then that's dumb, because either A) the BR is right and people just don't get it, which doesn't help people understand MUs any better (and I think spreading MU meta knowledge is good) or B) the BR messed up and should at least be told what to change (so people know they don't have messed up reasoning). Putting it in a black box may secure it from unqualified criticism (I would never pretend to understand the Yoshi-Ike MU for example - ask about it yes, but never assert I know it), but it doesn't help when people are confused and disagree with the charts, regardless of if they are right or wrong.

B0NK said:
The MUs are harder than they are made out to be
If it's still a losing MU, one should still win it more often than not if the opponents are of equal skill level - as hard as ICs may find it, the DDD should find it more difficult, or the DDD is more skilled or has more MU knowledge.

@Vex Kasrani sorry for the random tag, but what is your opinion of the DDD ICs MU? I know you've said -3 is inaccurate, but do you feel it's -2? -1? Even? Some number that is heavily qualified by certain factors? Something else?

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
One erroneous MU on the chart and you throw out the whole thing alongside the tier list? That seems excessive...
It's not just one erroneous MU, it's got mistakes all over the place. DeLux's post was basically just describing the flaws in the system they used to determine it. People make stupid arguments to try and justify what the MU is and then other people have to actually respond to those stupid arguments.

Did the BR ever release a list of who was on each panel? I feel like that should have been made public.

also just for fun, I'll go through a couple of my mains and list MUs that I think are wrong (according to the MU chart)

MK: Marth, D3, Lucario
Falco: Pikachu, Diddy Kong, ZSS, D3, Fox, Lucas
Puff: Marth, ZSS, D3, DK, Bowser, Zelda

I could keep going but I'm not really that interested in the discussion lol

Thor

Smash Champion
It's not just one erroneous MU, it's got mistakes all over the place. DeLux's post was basically just describing the flaws in the system they used to determine it. People make stupid arguments to try and justify what the MU is and then other people have to actually respond to those stupid arguments.

Did the BR ever release a list of who was on each panel? I feel like that should have been made public.

also just for fun, I'll go through a couple of my mains and list MUs that I think are wrong (according to the MU chart)

MK: Marth, D3, Lucario
Falco: Pikachu, Diddy Kong, ZSS, D3, Fox, Lucas
Puff: Marth, ZSS, D3, DK, Bowser, Zelda

I could keep going but I'm not really that interested in the discussion lol
Curious what you think those MK MUs should be, and also what you think Falco-Pikachu, Puff-Marth, and Falco-Fox should be...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Marth and DDD can't be both +2 for MK. One is completely shut down by Nado, and the other can at least bait MK into throwing something and punish him.

Thor

Smash Champion
I think MK Marth is +2 MK, MK D3 is +2 MK and MK Lucario is +1 MK

Falco Pikachu is +1 Falco

Puff Marth is +2 Marth

Falco Fox is +1 Falco
The Falco Fox Mu was listed as +1 Falco for forever... what changed it in the first place?

How on earth do you explain your Falco/Pikachu MU? Pikachu has a zero-to-death CG on Falco that starts any time from 0% to about 25%, and I think one can still do a substantial chunk of it when started while Falco is between 25% and 40% (I don't know the exact numbers). Pikachu can duck lasers (and powershield), so Falco has to camp until out of CG percents, and if he gets caught before then, it should be a stock. Then once out of those percents, they KO about the same, except Pikachu can gimp Falco but the opposite shouldn't happen. They each have the same durability (within like 3%), so it's about landing KO moves at that point, and I don't think either really has the edge there... Or at least, that's what I understand from it. So give me your take on it.

I can see your Puff Marth thing kinda (was derping around and realized Puff has more KO power than I first thought, and can gimp, and stuff), and I can see Lucario-MK sort of [more inclined to just believe Trela and some other Lucarios are really good...] Don't know enough about the other two MUs.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im not going to pretend like I know anything about the Falco vs Pikachu MU, but when it comes to the 0 death, one thing I will say is that good Falcos are REALLY hard to grab. Frame 2 jab, land canceled lasers, bair, and side b is a fantastic get out of jail free card when you just need to reposition. Falco has one of the best boxing games with his jab and grab, and he has one of the best repositioning tools with side b, so he generally can outplay up close and escape if need be, making landing grabs difficult.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Z'z nailed it imo. Falco outcamps and out-CQCs Pikachu, so it just becomes a matter of not getting grabbed. I would just add that if Pikachu is playing smart (ie not just fishing for a grab because that's mind numbingly easy to avoid) then it just becomes a matter of letting yourself get hit by moves that won't lead into a grab until you're above the percents where the CG will work. When you take the CG out of the equation I think it becomes an even MU (and maybe even Falco's favour).

Thor

Smash Champion
Z'z nailed it imo. Falco outcamps and out-CQCs Pikachu, so it just becomes a matter of not getting grabbed. I would just add that if Pikachu is playing smart (ie not just fishing for a grab because that's mind numbingly easy to avoid) then it just becomes a matter of letting yourself get hit by moves that won't lead into a grab until you're above the percents where the CG will work. When you take the CG out of the equation I think it becomes an even MU (and maybe even Falco's favour).
So you would expect at a high-level that no CGs occur?

Im not going to pretend like I know anything about the Falco vs Pikachu MU, but when it comes to the 0 death, one thing I will say is that good Falcos are REALLY hard to grab. Frame 2 jab, land canceled lasers, bair, and side b is a fantastic get out of jail free card when you just need to reposition. Falco has one of the best boxing games with his jab and grab, and he has one of the best repositioning tools with side b, so he generally can outplay up close and escape if need be, making landing grabs difficult.
That reasoning sounds almost exactly like what I'd expect to hear from Bleachigo in the ICs-Falco MU thread when he said Falco-ICs was even (a while back, I read through an ICs-Falco MU thread a while ago, and everyone was like "This MU sucks" and Bleachigo just said "50-50" and half the players are like "moron" and the other half were like "Nah it's Bleachigo on this MU so respect him"). I'm curious what high-level Falcos think but I don't feel like tagging anyone else lol.

I think the Pikachu players are convinced it's -2 (ESAM does from old stuff I've read), but no one seems to trust them anyway lol.

Last edited:

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I wouldn't expect absolutely no CGs, but I wouldn't expect more than 1 a match if the Falco is good. A good Pikachu is going to be able to get some grabs no matter what Falco does, because no matter how high level the players are they are still human and they will make mistakes. That's why ICs aren't the best character in the game. If I was expecting no CGs to happen then I would put the MU as even or in Falco's favour.

In terms of applying the reasoning to the Falco-ICs MU, it's not really the same situation. Nana changes the CQC game significantly, essentially removing Falco's grab (half of his CQC options) making shielding completely safe, so shield grabs become reliable. Also, Falco can't just wait to get out of damage range for ICs CG to work and then not have to worry about it, because no matter what percent ICs grab you they can convert it into a kill.

I agree that getting a high level Falco to come in would be very useful for this discussion. I can try tagging @DEHF but I don't know if he's still active on Smashboards.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't even think Falco's hard to grab and I play ZSS. I got 3 against DEHF (yes I just counted) so I'd expect any good Pikachu to get more than that lol

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I don't even think Falco's hard to grab and I play ZSS. I got 3 against DEHF (yes I just counted) so I'd expect any good Pikachu to get more than that lol
That's not really a comparable situation. ZSS's grab isn't really that dangerous to Falco, so he's probably not actively trying to avoid it specifically, whereas against Pikachu a grab at low percents = death, so the Falco should be actively trying to avoid the grab.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That's fair, but I don't think it'd be fair to use that to conclude that ZSS is gonna get more grabs on Falco than Pikachu will.

And the fact that Falco's going to be actively avoiding getting grabbing by Pikachu likely means that his CQC game is going to take a huge hit, so saying that Falco out-CQCs Pikachu when Falco can't risk being there while Pikachu can isn't really fair either.

Also not sure how I feel about Falco out camping Pikachu because they both have projectiles, but Pikachu can avoid Falco's lasers by crouching and Falco committing to a reflector (or shield) is risky against Pikachu.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
That's fair, but I don't think it'd be fair to use that to conclude that ZSS is gonna get more grabs on Falco than Pikachu will.

And the fact that Falco's going to be actively avoiding getting grabbing by Pikachu likely means that his CQC game is going to take a huge hit, so saying that Falco out-CQCs Pikachu when Falco can't risk being there while Pikachu can isn't really fair either.

Also not sure how I feel about Falco out camping Pikachu because they both have projectiles, but Pikachu can avoid Falco's lasers by crouching and Falco committing to a reflector (or shield) is risky against Pikachu.
Falco's CQC game is part of how he avoids grabs, Pikachu has to get close to grab Falco, but he can't because he'll get jabbed or something.

RE: Camping. V and I and some other people discussed this on skype (while I was trying to get info for this post and V SO RuDELy INTERRUPTED and this is what happened

[11:36:26 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: yo Poke how safe is Falco's reflector? (Brawl)
[11:38:38 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: Is it possible to punish? I remember reading somewhere that it's safe to reflector and then throw out another reflector to hit them if they try to punish
[11:38:41 PM] Robert Jackson: It's -40 something.
[11:38:54 PM] Frank: %
[11:38:54 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: am I remembering wrong or going crazy or something?
[11:38:57 PM] Frank: ^
[11:38:58 PM] Robert Jackson: If it hits Zss and they're below 60%
[11:39:06 PM] Robert Jackson: They get a free down smash
[11:39:07 PM] Robert Jackson: Or side b.
[11:39:13 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: ok I must be going crazy
[11:39:22 PM] Robert Jackson: Nah, people just assumed it was safe
[11:39:28 PM] Robert Jackson: Because they never get punished for it.
[11:39:31 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: what about against Pikachu? Can I reflect a thunderjolt and not get punished?
[11:40:41 PM] Vishal 'V115' Balaram: My point about committing to reflector against jolts is that if Pikachu FH jolts (like they always do) and is ready for it, he can QAC toward Falco and punish
[11:40:51 PM] Vishal 'V115' Balaram: Assuming he's not super far away anyway
[11:41:09 PM] Robert Jackson: ^
[11:41:16 PM] Robert Jackson: It's safer to Jab the jolts
[11:41:18 PM] Robert Jackson: Or ps them.
[11:41:24 PM] Robert Jackson: Or sh air dodge them.
[11:41:44 PM] Shiny Mewtwo: oh damn jabbing the jolts, genius I never thought of that.
[11:43:10 PM] Meekspeedy: in almost every smash game it's good to clank with clankable projectiles

So yeah basically jabs and PSes should be safe enough that jolts aren't really a problem

Also I'm probably going to be letting myself get hit by jolts until I'm above 52% (or w/e percent the CG stops working at) anyway

Also also if Pikachu is crouching to avoid my lasers than he's not doing anything that can hurt me so I'm perfectly comfortable continuing to laser until that stupid yellow rat stops stalling.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If you're jabbing/PSing to counteract jolts, that gives Pikachu the opportunity to approach with a FH jolt, and now you have to address both the jolt and the threat of the chaingrab upon Pikachu's landing. It also means you're not laser camping if you're jabbing/PSing to counteract the jolts.

Pikachu, on the other hand, can counteract lasers by crouching under them, and then FHing in between SHDLs to begin his camping/jolt-assisted approach.

It seems to me Pikachu wins here, but idk my mental Brawl simulator isn't perfect so who knows. I'd rather see a video of this MU and these situations playing out. I do know DEHF did often opt for ICs/MK against Z...and the only other character against whom I've seen him switch off Falco was ICs (and that one time I saw him switch to Fox against Tyrant's MK, and that other time I saw him switch to ICs against TKD's Fox...though these likely have more to do with his Falco in particular not working than the MU itself). But yeah based on both (my) theory and DEHF switching off against Z it would seem this MU is worse than -1 for Falco

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
If you're jabbing/PSing to counteract jolts, that gives Pikachu the opportunity to approach with a FH jolt, and now you have to address both the jolt and the threat of the chaingrab upon Pikachu's landing. It also means you're not laser camping if you're jabbing/PSing to counteract the jolts.

Pikachu, on the other hand, can counteract lasers by crouching under them, and then FHing in between SHDLs to begin his camping/jolt-assisted approach.

It seems to me Pikachu wins here, but idk my mental Brawl simulator isn't perfect so who knows. I'd rather see a video of this MU and these situations playing out. I do know DEHF did often opt for ICs/MK against Z...and the only other character against whom I've seen him switch off Falco was ICs (and that one time I saw him switch to Fox against Tyrant's MK, and that other time I saw him switch to ICs against TKD's Fox...though these likely have more to do with his Falco in particular not working than the MU itself). But yeah based on both (my) theory and DEHF switching off against Z it would seem this MU is worse than -1 for Falco
SMakaJ thinks it's +1 Falco, not -1 Falco. There's a severe disconnect here lol.

There is one hilarious video of DEHF beating K Prime, but that's not representative of the MU [sort of like how there's footage of K Prime losing to Zeton lol - I think DEHF and Zeton each understand the MU and are both very patient players (or at least Zeton is for that MU) while K Prime... eh, yeah...].

@ Bloodcross Bloodcross is another high-level Falco (former Falco?) that might be worth tagging (though I'm sure as of now he'd just go MK - why bother risking a silly zero-to-death when you can just play your other character?).

ESAM thinks it's -2, but as I stated before, no one seems to trust the Pikachus...

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ever since the notorious match up discussions of 2011-2012, nobody trusts the Pikachus.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
oh hi

the usual falco boxing game wrecks pika, but falco is also very vulnerable to getting grabbed. grab range doesn't really mean jack when fighting pika since he's faster and wrecks midrange and can close in on one mistake, especially if the falco is a short hop happy falco (stop it, it's pikachu)

falco CAN just ps or jab jolts . I prefer jab since ur not shielding, there should never be a reason to shield before 50% where he stops getting down thrown, and if pika decides to continue fh jolting who cares he's in the air and you got your ground space covered. so taking jolts isn't out of the question, though taking nairs would be even better (anything but grab)

you got ur own chain grab that can match that 50% if needed. but if you get grabbed that should be roughly 90-100% before nair/upsmash sooo. the matchup is better than ice climbers solely because he's not guaranteed to die after the CG. yeah thats simplistic way of thinking but if you happen to recover onstage pika has a hard time killing outside of midrange nairs and offstage game (which would require getting past your jabs and grab mixups). but if played correctly pika should be stealing the momentum from falco the majority of the time, so i give this matchup

a 3.5 outta 6.5 chaingrabs

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Imagine still caring about Brawl now that Smash 4 has been released.

Though i am seriously thrilled Apex picked Brawl over P(oisoned) M(elee): The Mod For Babies Who Cant Handle Brawl And Cant Get Good At Melee, the results will not mean a single thing even if a Yoshi wins. The game is all but dead and there is less than a 1% chance at any ground breaking tech/strat being found and a 0% chance at any MUs changing. The current tier list is the final tier list.

Thor

Smash Champion
Though i am seriously thrilled Apex picked Brawl over P(oisoned) M(elee): The Mod For Babies Who Cant Handle Brawl And Cant Get Good At Melee,
Wait then why do DEHF, Fly Amanita, M2K, Hbox, Mango (occasionally), Zero, and ESAM all play it??? :confused:

P.S: I do still care about Brawl.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Wait then why do DEHF, Fly Amanita, M2K, Hbox, Mango (occasionally), Zero, and ESAM all play it??? :confused:

P.S: I do still care about Brawl.

Brawl plummeted in attenndance these past 1-2 years. PM is new, easier to learn than melee and has brawl characters so lots of Brawl players picked it up until smash 4 came out.

Thor

Smash Champion
Brawl plummeted in attenndance these past 1-2 years. PM is new, easier to learn than melee and has brawl characters so lots of Brawl players picked it up until smash 4 came out.
Literally all of the people I cited play Melee too. I'm gonna go with kyokoro_pamuyo on this one.

That would leave your mod title incomplete though...

Xyro77

Literally all of the people I cited play Melee too. I'm gonna go with kyokoro_pamuyo on this one.

That would leave your mod title incomplete though...
of course it was for money. notice how i said brawl died off? brawl had all the money for like 3-4 years.

and of all the people you named, only 2-3 are truly amazing at PM (win or place top 3 at nationals/regionals on the regular). both started with melee as well.

you will NEVER see a pure PM player do that. but that is besides the point.

PM is garbage
brawl is dead
smash 4 is the future

Top Bottom