• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Tier List v8

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Dammit @ infiniteV115 infiniteV115 I was about to be like "oh I like how you JUST SO HAPPEN to put Falco first in your "unordered" list" but then I realized it was alphabetical :(

Still tho Falco #5 4lyfe

Also I like your Diddy placing.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
V9? plz.
Mario isn't low tier. Mekos and Pink Fresh have both proved Lucas should be higher on the tier list. SO many Sonic players have proved he should go up. Japanese have proved Sheik/Sheilda > Ike.

Controversial change: Pikachu played at the highest level (ESAM) is definately better than Falco AND Snake.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think it's possible to create another tier list project because many former Brawl players say that they are still interested in the game.

I think Fox would rise the most.

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Pikachu and, more importantly, ICs. Still, he's underrated; most of the other char around his location on the tier list also get bodied by 2-3 top tiers, and Fox does pretty well against the rest of top tier. Even with ZSS/Falco, close to even with MK which is huge, also seems to be only a slight disadvantage against Marth/Oli but idk too much about these MUs. I hear Diddy's a terrible MU but that's what people said about Wolf:Diddy, and then Zinoto goes and loses to Seagull lol. Wario COULD be a pretty bad MU for him too I guess because of the CG.

Also I think Fox goes even with/beats Snake. And then he also beats Lucario, DDD, and is even with/beats everyone else except Sheik.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I do think Brawl is due for a revision to the tier list. I feel so maby characters need moving and like you all said several characters have proven to be far better than they were considered previously.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think Peach could potentially get in the upper mid tier. Kie and Slayerz proved that she has the tools to compete at top level play vs top tier characters. She still has a terrible MK match up, but it doesn't seem like it's -3 anymore. I could be wrong, but I think this tier list was created before Slayerz and Kie's major wins.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Pikachu and, more importantly, ICs. Still, he's underrated; most of the other char around his location on the tier list also get bodied by 2-3 top tiers, and Fox does pretty well against the rest of top tier. Even with ZSS/Falco, close to even with MK which is huge, also seems to be only a slight disadvantage against Marth/Oli but idk too much about these MUs. I hear Diddy's a terrible MU but that's what people said about Wolf:Diddy, and then Zinoto goes and loses to Seagull lol. Wario COULD be a pretty bad MU for him too I guess because of the CG.

Also I think Fox goes even with/beats Snake. And then he also beats Lucario, DDD, and is even with/beats everyone else except Sheik.
I always said :wolf: was even with :diddy:. He's also even with :marth: and :olimar: of relevant characters. I think only Gheb said it was terrible.

:wolf: loses 45-55 to :falco: and :snake:. He loses 40-60 to :wario: with the CG otherwise it's even. He loses 40-60 to :pikachu2:/:metaknight: and 20-80 to :dedede:. Oh and :popo: is 40-60 or 30-70. I hate this matchup the most.

:018:

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
In theory I'd be behind making a 9th tier list, but realistically we probably won't have a good amount of voters who know what they're talking about, let alone voters at all.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Honestly I don't think any tier list changes need to be made in terms of positions, but perhaps alterations to tier groupings would be good.

S for MK/ICs
go from there.

The main conundrum I have is that I don't think Brawl has had it's meta develop further noticeably for a long time, but rather just players still maintaining their skills well over time and caring when a tournament opportunity arises. If a tier was to be made to represent the "current meta" I would likely feel it's inaccurate (heck someone saying Snake should go up is all I need see to have my fear justified :p)

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A list of the current meta would have like 15 characters.

Joking aside, the fact the game stopped being played by like 90% of the people seriously hurt any chances for it to actually change/develop. So I think the list would remain the same, at least metagame-wise. Any further change would be just personal interpretations of matchups, matchup weighting, and tournament results.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If the tier list gets updated, it'd be a nice excuse to add others (and me :^) ) into the bbr finally.
Though honestly, think there's no need to update it. MU chart v3 barely had a handful of people actually doing discussions so dunno how many people in the bbr even is alive to discuss for a week or two for changes in the tier list.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Are the BBR the Sm4ah BR as well? Wat

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
He loses 40-60 to :pikachu2:
Seagull right before he's about to play Shimitake: "This is like a 0-100 matchup"

Honestly I don't think any tier list changes need to be made in terms of positions, but perhaps alterations to tier groupings would be good.

S for MK/ICs
go from there.

The main conundrum I have is that I don't think Brawl has had it's meta develop further noticeably for a long time, but rather just players still maintaining their skills well over time and caring when a tournament opportunity arises. If a tier was to be made to represent the "current meta" I would likely feel it's inaccurate (heck someone saying Snake should go up is all I need see to have my fear justified :p)
I really agree with this. I honestly believe Brawl is a very balanced game and the tiers should solely be |S|A|B|C|F|

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you want Brawl back get rid of MK and add a couple stages to keep IC in check. With that it's an amazing game that is obviously superior Smash 4.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Brawl with Ice Climbers with only their best stages is lame as hell. Brawl without MK where we could have Rainbow Ride or Brinstar back, Delfino, Frigate and such is acceptable.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IF ICs are too much just get rid of them too. At this point all that matters is that we get people playing so we might as well do everything that's necessary.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
If MK, ICs, and tripping were never in the game - Brawl would still be played to this day... Kind of sad :/

I don't even think MK or ICs are worth banning. I do not think they're *that* good that they should be banned. They are both very stoppable imo with a lot of characters. But if that's the only way to save the game then so be it... But it's much too late at this point.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Tripping is that thing everyone loves to mention that doesn't really mean **** in reality. MK on the other hand is almost solely responsible for making people move on to Melee/Smash4. MK is the most broken thing I've ever seen in a competitively played fighting game.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Tripping is that thing everyone loves to mention that doesn't really mean **** in reality. MK on the other hand is almost solely responsible for making people move on to Melee/Smash4. MK is the most broken thing I've ever seen in a competitively played fighting game.
You're right, just Melee players and such always bring up tripping. I really don't think MK is that OP... I think everyone's just bad.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
You're right, just Melee players and such always bring up tripping. I really don't think MK is that OP... I think everyone's just bad.
Years ago, I sounded like you. I didn't make this exact statement, but I did defend MK and said that he would be good for the game.

I regret every moment of it.

MK ruined this game, horribly.

Last edited:

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Years ago, I sounded like you. I didn't make this exact statement, but I did defend MK and said that he would be good for the game.

I regret every moment of it.

MK ruined this game, horribly.
He may have ruined the game by making it slow, and campy, but I don't think he is as OP as people say he is.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
MK is OP because he has the most versatile moveset in the game, incredible option coverage, and the best frame data. This also makes him a very interesting character to watch at top level play.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The case with MK isn't even a matter of opinion. If you just look at the character, it's framedata, hitboxes and **** you cannot deny he is OP as all ****.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't really know why people get that flustered with tripping. It's a 1/100 chance YOU yourself take when opting to dash.
That's why I choose to walk on most situations.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't really know why people get that flustered with tripping. It's a 1/100 chance YOU yourself take when opting to dash.
That's why I choose to walk on most situations.
Exactly. People who say you can't avoid tripping are incorrect. Tripping can be avoided if you don't dash. I even went through the effort of learning the tripless chaingrabs for ICs when I heard of them.
And for each time you get screwed by tripping you will get saved by it another time.

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
would take random tripping over rage any day of the week~
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'd gladly get tripping in Smash 4 if we got rid of rage, or even ledgetrumping. I'm still not sure which is worse.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'd gladly get tripping in Smash 4 if we got rid of rage, or even ledgetrumping. I'm still not sure which is worse.
I personally think that both smash 4 and brawl are very different competitive games and are not that comparable.
What people don't realize is you can actually TECH a trip. I've done it before. However The rage mechanic in smash 4 only makes a big difference if the character gets above the high kill percents. And the mechanic seems to mostly be there to give a heavy character a better chance against a character that can combo him to death. If rage wasn't in the game, DK would have vitually no chance against luigi. The tripping mechanic and rage mechanic are both factors that slightly change up the game. But for the rage mechanic you actually know its there and can keep it from being to much of a problem by actually not going for damage but being extremely patient for a kill. As for ledge trumping, you can avoid it before it even happens it the first place.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Same argument can be said for tripping. You know it can happen by inputting a dash so you can just never dash.
As for ledge trumping I don't mean the dumb thing of ledge trumping someone and hitting them with a Bair. I mean the whole ledge mechanic itself is beyond ********.
As weird as it sounds I miss edgehogging and I actually feel good when I get edgehogged in other Smash games now that it's gone in Smash4. I always appreciated edgehogging as an edgeguarding method, but only now I realize how much I liked it.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Same argument can be said for tripping. You know it can happen by inputting a dash so you can just never dash.
As for ledge trumping I don't mean the dumb thing of ledge trumping someone and hitting them with a Bair. I mean the whole ledge mechanic itself is beyond ********.
As weird as it sounds I miss edgehogging and I actually feel good when I get edgehogged in other Smash games now that it's gone in Smash4. I always appreciated edgehogging as an edgeguarding method, but only now I realize how much I liked it.
Hey I never said anything against tripping.
Ledge trumping was put in smash 4 so that the randomness of edge hogging would be removed. (say your both trying to recover but one grabs it first)

Top Bottom