• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official SWF Matchup Chart v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Anti-planking is an RPS situation and the video acknowledges it as one, and it admits that anti-planking is risky.

SDIing a spike onstage that would otherwise kill you isn't an RPS situation, it's literally a life or death situation (for some characters, apparently)

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
That's not the point. My point is I need more than a vid that shows you how to do it. If its so easy, it shouldn't be so hard to find videos of players doing it consistently

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Just because people don't do it doesn't mean they can't do it. A lot of people suck are not very knowledgable about the game, you know. Trela and Anti didn't know that get-up attacks from the ledge are different above/below 100% until some time in 2012.
Here, here. These are just off the top of my head btw. I'm sure there are plenty more out there. Rain didn't even do it properly and he STILL got back on stage XD

Edit: And...seriously? If you have a video that shows you how to do it, try it out on your own and determine for yourself whether it's easy or hard.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have a question about that. If you can tech the wall of the ledge instead of the floor on stage, can you get guaranteed counter attacks on falco?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
2 pages late, but oh well...

ok, so a high level player, who uses a character that doesn't have to SDI the hit in order to survive, doesn't know how to do it...

obviously this means nobody can do it.
To be fair, MikeHAZE did die for not SDIing the spike.....

Haha, then yes. Both of them aren't going to do knock-back, the chances are the other opponent is going to punish you for it, it's definitely better to at least have given him some damage. :p

I can respect OCD but aren't phantom hits just 'objectively' better because they're the same thing, except phantom hits do at least a little damage? It's not great... but it's better.

As I said, I can respect OCD... i'm very much like that myself. :surprised:
Well, on the attacker's side, I guess it's a bit of OCD, but on the defender's side, I think Phantom Hits are ridiculous because it punishes him for having that perfect defensive spacing. You want to be as close as you can while avoiding an attack so that you can punish it as quickly and and as maximally as you can. Why should I be damaged for that? If I didn't receive KB, I wasn't hit. Glancing Blows got it right, IMO.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
He had to do rising sideB after meteor cancelling the first spike. DEHF grabbed the ledge. Isn't there a minimum number of frames that must pass before one is allowed to meteor cancel a spike's KB?

Why are you telling one of the best Wolfs in the world how to play a match-up that involves two characters you don't use?
I do use wolf. Mained him for two years. These guys have just never played a falco who just waits if he has the lead and Wolf is down a stock or still at CG %s
I don't think it matters if you mained him for 2 years, if Kain is telling you that you're wrong about something involving Wolf chances are that you're probably wrong.
I'll be honest; I really don't like this elitist attitude. Why the heck can't we argue with top/high players just because they're more successful? Yes, they probably know more about their characters, but they don't know everything and they CAN be wrong. If we all assumed that M2K was always right, just because he was the best MK and arguably the best Brawl player, then how dumb would MK's MUs look now?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I can agree with that to some extent, my rule is that if you use a character you can talk about them. I wasn't aware that Jebus had any Wolf experience.

@The video
He jumped to meteor-cancel the first spike, the side-b was just an attempt to avoid RCO lag (from up-bing to the ledge) if possible and it back-fired horribly. There is a number of frames before you can meteor cancel, but Mike didn't do it asap.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll be honest; I really don't like this elitist attitude. Why the heck can't we argue with top/high players just because they're more successful? Yes, they probably know more about their characters, but they don't know everything and they CAN be wrong. If we all assumed that M2K was always right, just because he was the best MK and arguably the best Brawl player, then how dumb would MK's MUs look now?
While true, I would still side with Kain on this one and the SDI stuff.

I know what Jebus is saying, I just don't think it impacts as much as he is saying regarding that MU. I mean yeah don't follow someone like a sheep but still I would saying giving more credit to someone who has been maining him longer and with the results isn't wrong either. He has credibility but also has arguments to back it up. If Kain was just shoving his opinion while saying, "I'm da bess Wolf you all scrubs, Estoy basura!" then yeah you have a point, but he's not without results, evidence and credibility, with theory to back it up. I mean, yeah don't sheep mildlessly but it's ok to sheep if they have a point and your agree with it.

SDI stuff I know works because it the only way Link can avoid the CG being a death grab if spiked, unless the Falco player is a moron if Link messes up the SDI.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Fair enough.

That video is hilarious, MK's planking isn't just ledge-drop double uair re-grab
I honestly thought it was..... :ohwell:

And...seriously? If you have a video that shows you how to do it, try it out on your own and determine for yourself whether it's easy or hard.
Well, to be fair, just trying out a tech for yourself doesn't really say much (and I believe Alphicans talked to you about this exact same thing). I could find a tech to be really hard for me to perform consistently but someone else thinks it's easy and vice versa. This is somewhat of a problem in our discussions here. What gets labelled as easy enough to be done consistently by all high-level players?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The reason MK's planking is broken is because he has 10000000000 off-stage options, static planking strategies like the one in that video aren't broken for any character which is what I've been trying to tell people for years.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ah, ok, that makes sense then.

I watched this, and it does indeed show FOW SDIing the spike onto the stage, but during the very next stock, he doesn't SDI it and is placed into a very dangerous position offstage where he's forced to PKT2. So what I'm getting from only this is that the tech is obviously possible and feasible but not necessarily consistent. I just witnessed a 50% success rate out of two consecutive tries (obviously a super small sample size).

Again, if one looks at the stock directly prior to this one, he will see that RAIN fails to SDI the spike and he dies for it from the subsequent ledgehog. Once more, I am witnessing a 50% success rate from two consecutive instances. However, this time, I went back far enough to observe the first stock as well, since this match was extremely short (and it was clear why). RAIN also failed to SDI the first CG spike which led to the exact same death via edgehog. That just reduced the consistency for this set to 33% and the consistency for my total of 5 observed stocks to 40%.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Umm, bubba? You got your analysis of each mixed up. :p

You've got your analysis of DEHF vs. Falco on the top when the vid is the second one, and vice versa with your second analysis. :p

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I have tried it. When the falco spaces it right its really hard to di.
Space?... Wut?
That doesn't even make any sense...
Get as close to the ledge as possible
Shouldn't it being as FAR from the ledge as possible?
End the chain grab as close to the ledge as possible
From what I've heard about SDIing Falco's spike onto the stage, I'd imagine that Jebus is right in this case. The closer to the ledge Falco ends his CG, the farther offstage his opponent is and the more difficult it is for him to SDI back onstage.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
What's the difference between PSing and regular shielding then?
PSing eliminates shield push and shield damage.
Unless you PS the first hit of a multi-hit move and then shield the rest of the hits.
To put it simply, any single hit that is PSed will inflict no shield damage.

Well, to be fair, just trying out a tech for yourself doesn't really say much (and I believe Alphicans talked to you about this exact same thing). I could find a tech to be really hard for me to perform consistently but someone else thinks it's easy and vice versa. This is somewhat of a problem in our discussions here. What gets labelled as easy enough to be done consistently by all high-level players?
It was actually the exact opposite; I was telling people something was easy because I personally found it easy, and he was saying that people should try it out for themselves and determine whether it's easy for them (ie what I just told Jebus to do) because if it's hard for them and they try it anyway it could cost them.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
To be more clear, during regular shield, if you shield drop, you get 7 frames of lag where all you can do is jump, and I think maybe grabs, rolls and spotdodges too, not sure. Even if you assume that we can do all of these out of regular shield drop lag, there's no point in doing so because you can do them directly out of shield, which is faster.

If you PS, you still have the 7 frames of shield drop lag, but during this lag you can use jab/tilts/smashes. Not sure about specials and other stuff.

So, for example, Snake's ftilt hits on frame 4.
Out of normal shield, you have 7 frames of shield drop + 4 frames for ftilt to come out --> ftilt takes 11 frames to come out.
Out of PS, ftilt can theoretically come out on frame 4.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
you all suck if you can't sdi falco's spike by now. GIMR even tells the hand motion to make with ur fingers when you are sdi-ing the spike. that **** should not work anymore. i haven't gone offstage from falco's cg spike since that video came out years ago now. and im bad

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
He also has videos of characters consistently punishing mks planking. If its so easy to do, how come im having trouble trying to find vids of someone doing it consistently?

DIing Falco's spike is easy. Plank u-air punishing is not very viable

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Even Ganon doesn't die to the CG -> spike

ever

if you're dying to the spike itself
you're bad

Now if you're dying to the followups sure.

Ganon loses the MU due to other (hopefully obvious) reasons.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The reason you don't see the SDI often is because it's only useful with characters who wouldn't survive it.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
true. as pit i usually let them meteor me so i can go under the stage and avoid the follow ups they would have if i sdi back onstage unless it's a stage that i can't fly under

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I don't SDI to the stage because I get hit for it. I only die from the dair when I mess up an input

Smart dude. A lot of people think you should SDI Falco's spike just because its possible, but don't think enough to realize it's better not to for some characters. I'd rather just use Yoshi's super armor and take the hit rather than sdi onto the stage to get hit again.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
PSing eliminates shield push
By shield push, do you mean when you get hit and slide back in shield normally? Because, if I recall, you do still move a tiny bit. It could be the attacker i'm thinking of but I recall PSing on the ledge and then falling and grabbing the ledge.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
From what I've heard about SDIing Falco's spike onto the stage, I'd imagine that Jebus is right in this case. The closer to the ledge Falco ends his CG, the farther offstage his opponent is and the more difficult it is for him to SDI back onstage.
Can Falco actually adjust the leght of his CG against opponents with, say, over 15% damage?

So, for example, Snake's ftilt hits on frame 4.
Out of normal shield, you have 7 frames of shield drop + 4 frames for ftilt to come out --> ftilt takes 11 frames to come out.
Out of PS, ftilt can theoretically come out on frame 4.
lol PSC. I am yet to see someone willingly performing it in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom