• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project Initial Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
So customs just got a LOT easier to unlock: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2x6w8a/completely_automatic_custom_farming_method_found/

Still sucks if you don't have a turbo controller or know someone with one though. But ganon seriously got my friend like 1/3rd of his customs while I was just at work today...
I had fun unlocking my customs, but this could be very very useful for people that HATE single player. Very nice work around. I'm guessing this also works in smash tour but this method must be faster.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well, I don't own a 3rd party controller, but it's still waaay easier than any other way to get customs :grin:
I mean, even if you sit there absent-mindedly mashing the A button while browsing the internet or reading a book or something, it's still almost entirely passive.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I mean, even if you sit there absent-mindedly mashing the A button while browsing the internet or reading a book or something, it's still almost entirely passive.
No it's not.

I tried to do that on 3ds. That's what gave me the idea for this, the pain of the time before powersaves.

If you have to be present, you might as well pseudo-idle smash tour imo.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
It's exactly the same so why would it?

I mean, it's probably an okay way of doing it, but I still think smash tour is better for that kind of situation.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Best satire I've read in a long while. But on a more serious note, since I've not seen much discussion in this thread on it, does anyone actually prefer default Skull Bash over Heavy Skull Bash? I get that default offers more recovery, but is that even needed with Quick Attack being what it is?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
There seems to be potential in meteor QA for jab lock and general kill/upsmash set-up, which if becomes valid I'd imagine default would become pretty preferable to the already situational heavy skullbash due to the loss of recovery from default quick attack.

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Best satire I've read in a long while. But on a more serious note, since I've not seen much discussion in this thread on it, does anyone actually prefer default Skull Bash over Heavy Skull Bash? I get that default offers more recovery, but is that even needed with Quick Attack being what it is?
I prefer regular in some matchups because although Heavy Skull Bash still is a great recovery due to the weird momentum thing it has going on, it can be pretty predictable in how far it goes once the opponent is used to it.

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
Yup.

I prefer regular in some matchups because although Heavy Skull Bash still is a great recovery due to the weird momentum thing it has going on, it can be pretty predictable in how far it goes once the opponent is used to it.
Eh, you probably shouldn't be using Skull Bash to recover much anyway, because it's slow and predictable no matter which way you cut it; Quick Attack is more than enough very often. Meanwhile, Pikachu gets an easy, fast kill move with Heavy Skull Bash which is much more useful for Pikachu.

There seems to be potential in meteor QA for jab lock and general kill/upsmash set-up, which if becomes valid I'd imagine default would become pretty preferable to the already situational heavy skullbash due to the loss of recovery from default quick attack.
Didn't know that was a thing, though I can't see it being worth switching out the defualt.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Now that I know that Grounding Blow not only grounds, but also can spike midair targets, there is no longer any doubt of my moveset for Mac. I'll probably run 2211 in almost all cases, unless I specifically need the armor on Guard Breaker.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Now that I know that Grounding Blow not only grounds, but also can spike midair targets, there is no longer any doubt of my moveset for Mac. I'll probably run 2211 in almost all cases, unless I specifically need the armor on Guard Breaker.
Jolt Haymaker is really pivotal in certain linear-projectile-based neutrals, like ZSS.

Keep in mind that Grounding Blow has a pretty nontrivial disadvantage on tech...

Teshie U

Smash Lord
The unblockable super armor one does all of the things the default does if you are willing to soak up a little damage on the way.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
How do you work around Hammer Spin Dash? I can't get a handle on that move. It seems ridiculously powerful.
The area in front of him where he can ground you is very specific relative to his current position, it won't hit if he's too close or too far. Even then there's enough time to dodge if you aren't pressing buttons when he activates it. Don't commit to any actions when he can hit you with it and space yourself properly so that it isn't as much of a threat.

Of course, this is just theory crafting, I've only seen it played against, so I could be wrong.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Jolt Haymaker is really pivotal in certain linear-projectile-based neutrals, like ZSS.

Keep in mind that Grounding Blow has a pretty nontrivial disadvantage on tech...
I have noticed this, after testing with 2211 for a while. Tech and Roll chases w/Jolt was a big part of my game, but I do feel that I will be using Grounding in most MUs, lest anyone else has any input.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The area in front of him where he can ground you is very specific relative to his current position, it won't hit if he's too close or too far. Even then there's enough time to dodge if you aren't pressing buttons when he activates it. Don't commit to any actions when he can hit you with it and space yourself properly so that it isn't as much of a threat.

Of course, this is just theory crafting, I've only seen it played against, so I could be wrong.
That's pretty much accurate.

I have noticed this, after testing with 2211 for a while. Tech and Roll chases w/Jolt was a big part of my game, but I do feel that I will be using Grounding in most MUs, lest anyone else has any input.
I'm currently blinded by an offstage spike I landed with grounding, but unless specifically going against characters with laggy projectiles, I'm still inclined to run Grounding. Especially against my friends - they aren't so good at teching or dodging properly. That'll change the more I keep taking them to Temple.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
It's not even so much worries about getting hit by it. It's how safe it is, and how impossible it is to catch.
I main Sonic, and yeah, HSD is extremely safe since you can cancel it at the start with shield, jump and move, or best of all DJ out of it and airdodge/attack. It's so safe and good for recovery, but Sonic has to give up some accuary, power, and shield-cancel frames. If you were to catch him, shield and grab/hit him if he doesn't cancel it, try to punish his landing if he jump-cancels it, grab/punish his premature shield/roll if he shield-cancels it, and punish his vulnerability if he jumps while charging it, as he cannot SH nor release the charge while charging. If he does the move in the air, punishing the landing is the best option, as his only cancel option is to DJ.

NNID
Budget_Player
Question.

So with the save editor, you can get all the customs. You can apparently also edit your saves.

Is it possible to get a save with all the custom sets pre-installed? Because holy **** this is taking forever.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
hi

should DK's wind up b be banned?
i think it might be too good overall. when does the armor kick in?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
hi

should DK's wind up b be banned?
i think it might be too good overall. when does the armor kick in?
No, no move should be banned. It's a good move, but it's on DK who's only an okay character without it. It's not even close to ban worthy and people just need to learn to deal with the move. I believe the armor kicks in around frame 16.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
No, no move should be banned. It's a good move, but it's on DK who's only an okay character without it. It's not even close to ban worthy and people just need to learn to deal with the move. I believe the armor kicks in around frame 16.
this is Smash bros though. 1 move in brawl (mach tornado) was capable of making many characters obsolete. if you look at the qualities of this move (giant windbox that stuns and sucks into the main hitting box of his hands, 0 landing lag, very very active hitboxes, can control the movement of it) you can see some similarities with tornado already.

it is probably unfair to DK to ban it outright, but another problem with the move is that it is very easy to use. it's not hard at all to figure out the height that you have to do it to have 0 landing lag on battlefield and lylat, making the future of customs tournaments very possibly going to be DK dittos on BF/Lylat if those stages aren't struck. (lose, they don't strike one of those 2, pick one of those, they switch to DK, you switch to DK)

maybe a soft ban of that move on BF/Lylat. rn i don't see an easy way to deal with pocket DK on lylat/BF.

AccountsDept

Smash Cadet
the loser's portrait on the victory screen
NNID
Xeno
this is Smash bros though. 1 move in brawl (mach tornado) was capable of making many characters obsolete. if you look at the qualities of this move (giant windbox that stuns and sucks into the main hitting box of his hands, 0 landing lag, very very active hitboxes, can control the movement of it) you can see some similarities with tornado already.

it is probably unfair to DK to ban it outright, but another problem with the move is that it is very easy to use. it's not hard at all to figure out the height that you have to do it to have 0 landing lag on battlefield and lylat, making the future of customs tournaments very possibly going to be DK dittos on BF/Lylat if those stages aren't struck. (lose, they don't strike one of those 2, pick one of those, they switch to DK, you switch to DK)

maybe a soft ban of that move on BF/Lylat. rn i don't see an easy way to deal with pocket DK on lylat/BF.
I believe I know the move you speak of, and this post is very silly if I'm correct.
DK dittos on battlefield? Are you actually serious?

I think we all need to lock the banhammer inside of a military-grade cage for a very long time. Stop suggesting bans. Unless, like, all top-8 at EVO are dks with that up-b, i don't think your argument holds any weight. You fail to understand the sheer ****ing magnitude of busted a move has to be to warrant a ban, and that Up-B I don't think is worthy. We still have a top tier full of inescapable grab-to-kill setups, I don't see how one pretty good Up-B on DK warrants a ban more than hoo-hah/dthrow>EVERYTHING.

Also, a friendly reminder that wobbling is still an exceedingly common tactic and melee and it remains allowed, and ices unbanned.

NNID
Budget_Player
Kong Cyclone is obnoxious. It's also not particularly damaging and attached to a character who is otherwise really quite awful. Safe? Yeah. Annoyingly long-range? Yeah. Ridiculously powerful? I don't know. Hard to tell. Nobody knows how to deal with it yet. Ironically, it also reminds me of Mach Tornado - at the start of Brawl, nobody knew how to deal with it. Now, it's still a good tool but people can handle it because it's not OP, just a solid tool.

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
It is my belief that a move should only be banned if it actually breaks the game. A good move being banned when its just a really good move is terrible, especially on a character like DK. You can play around the move to so it's not a 10/10 flawless move. A curveball is a really good pitch. But we don't ban it in baseball, even though most pitchers have some variation of it. You either keep up with the curve or be left behind. Bottom line is you'll get used to it like you did the other 15 or so characters that debuted in this game.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I believe I know the move you speak of, and this post is very silly if I'm correct.
DK dittos on battlefield? Are you actually serious?

I think we all need to lock the banhammer inside of a military-grade cage for a very long time. Stop suggesting bans. Unless, like, all top-8 at EVO are dks with that up-b, i don't think your argument holds any weight. You fail to understand the sheer ****ing magnitude of busted a move has to be to warrant a ban, and that Up-B I don't think is worthy. We still have a top tier full of inescapable grab-to-kill setups, I don't see how one pretty good Up-B on DK warrants a ban more than hoo-hah/dthrow>EVERYTHING.

Also, a friendly reminder that wobbling is still an exceedingly common tactic and melee and it remains allowed, and ices unbanned.
um i was not talking about grab combos.
i was comparing that up b to metaknight's brawl tornado which completely shut down a lot of characters and you try to say that the up b is not as bad as grab combos.

metaknight's brawl tornado was of the "sheer ****ing magnitude of busted" type of move yes/no?
multi hit, safe on shield/could shield poke, could maneuver in many ways to make it safer, high priority.

i also listed the problem stages. battlefield, lylat.

i also asked for the startup of armor of that move. frame 16 is very fast for a move that can be started in neutral very far from an opponent, move towards the opponent, affect the majority of the stage of battlefield and half of lylat, can retreat or just land on a platform immediately and have 0 landing lag.

so this move is incapable of being beat out because of armor (metaknight's brawl tornado at least lost to some moves sometimes), has just about less recovery than metaknight's tornado, and is bigger than metaknight's tornado.
the downsides compared to metaknight's brawl tornado - since the big hitbox is a windbox, it doesn't really do much shield damage. also, it needs those stages/a specific platform height to perform. however, as i've said, the skill needed to perform the 0 landing lag version is not very high.

it also has some advantages; it can true combo into uair/bair/nair because of 0 landing lag and if it hits near DK, and it can KO at around 160 even when staled if DK hasn't landed a strong hit w/ his other moves.

this move is going to be very problematic unless there are legitimate answers on a majority of the cast.

i think more research has to be done on the move. as it is right now, people don't know how to fight it, but it's easy to use. the general qualities of the move that i've listed are VERY similar to one of the most broken moves in smash history. if there aren't consistent ways around it for a majority of the cast, it HAS to be looked at further.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think the most busted move in Smash history goes to the shine, dude.

Honestly, BPC's right---Tornado was really good, but that definitely wasn't even part of the reason why Metaknight was considered to be banned.

I think we need to do a little more research before we jump to conclusions.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

NegaMawile

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5344-0680-9740
um i was not talking about grab combos.
i was comparing that up b to metaknight's brawl tornado which completely shut down a lot of characters and you try to say that the up b is not as bad as grab combos.

metaknight's brawl tornado was of the "sheer ****ing magnitude of busted" type of move yes/no?
multi hit, safe on shield/could shield poke, could maneuver in many ways to make it safer, high priority.

i also listed the problem stages. battlefield, lylat.

i also asked for the startup of armor of that move. frame 16 is very fast for a move that can be started in neutral very far from an opponent, move towards the opponent, affect the majority of the stage of battlefield and half of lylat, can retreat or just land on a platform immediately and have 0 landing lag.

so this move is incapable of being beat out because of armor (metaknight's brawl tornado at least lost to some moves sometimes), has just about less recovery than metaknight's tornado, and is bigger than metaknight's tornado.
the downsides compared to metaknight's brawl tornado - since the big hitbox is a windbox, it doesn't really do much shield damage. also, it needs those stages/a specific platform height to perform. however, as i've said, the skill needed to perform the 0 landing lag version is not very high.

it also has some advantages; it can true combo into uair/bair/nair because of 0 landing lag and if it hits near DK, and it can KO at around 160 even when staled if DK hasn't landed a strong hit w/ his other moves.

this move is going to be very problematic unless there are legitimate answers on a majority of the cast.

i think more research has to be done on the move. as it is right now, people don't know how to fight it, but it's easy to use. the general qualities of the move that i've listed are VERY similar to one of the most broken moves in smash history. if there aren't consistent ways around it for a majority of the cast, it HAS to be looked at further.
Wobbling is the most "powerful" technique in Smash.
Wobbling is not banned.
Nothing less effective then wobbling needs to be banned.
Kong Cyclone doesn't need to be banned.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Wobbling is the most "powerful" technique in Smash.
Wobbling is not banned.
Nothing less effective then wobbling needs to be banned.
Kong Cyclone doesn't need to be banned.
I would like to point out that "wobbling" as a technique is up for banning at the TO's discretion. A lot of this **** is, really.

Whether or not it's actually broken, well...

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom