• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Q&A and Discussion

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
What if I used Samus and I beat someone's Marth on DL64? Well now he can CP Yoshi's and I'm stuck in a terrible MU on a terrible stage. You're basically telling me to plan games in advance when choosing my character. Welp, I guess I can't ever choose a 'bad char' for xyz bad MU that said bad char happens to be good at, 'cause now I'm stuck on him and I'll be CP'd really hard next game.
lol This could never happen because that is why out of the stages allowed for counter pick. Winners get to ban one. So you would eliminate yoshi's story and lvl up your game against marth in the second stage. Its less unfair,

than this...

Someone mains Samus lost the first match against some fox... Then with current ruleset. winner bans a stage, loser I pick one, lets say he ban dream land so I pick Pokemon Stadium with samus then he picks marth... Kind of FAIR I bet you would say ;)

I personally think this Could be a great Idea to implement

Loser chose one

A. Stage counter pick

Winner ban a stage, loser then picks. Neither change characters

or

B. Counterpick Character
1B. Loser selects character
2B. Stage strike with the original neutral stages

Winner does not get to change character.

I think its pretty fair to me. And should be tried or tested in tournaments. To see the results

Vro I like your stage list. Both Neutral and counter pick. Maybe the counter pick list could have a few more stages from those the PM team fixed. I dont know. What do you think about the counter pick ideas above

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I am also for more variety. I am one of those who was most upset when KJ64, Brinstar, and RC were removed from Melee's stagelist. Variety is good, IMO.

^^^
Ok i get it now I will just ignore this post and tell you that those stages gave full advantage to some characters. That when exploited in tournaments people even will buuuuu them. That is why they were removed and I dont think they are coming back... ;)

watch this to understand reasons they were left out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNaAUJZz5k

Dont get me wrong I like variety that is why I like the PM team fixed a few stages like norfair :)

also this one.

Third match mango picks brinstar, instant win ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNtyju7cYVw&playnext=1&list=PL4E99330ED2FB6C9B&feature=results_video

Eaode

Smash Champion
Fox Hater your argument only holds up if you assume that you can play only one character. I'm sorry, but if you're dedicated to only one character you have to accept that they have bad MU's and you're going to have to deal with it. advanced slob picks have been standard for a while and they allow the loser to set the stage of the match without completely ****ing the winner (because they can switch chars) and then they get to cp the new character. Arguing that it screws people who only know how to play one character is stupid because you should know how to play more than one character if you expect to do well.

Anyway, I agree with Vro that the process should be swift and easy for both players. I agree with a strict, conservative neutral list. But I still think that the CPS should be open to more unique stages.

My list would look something like:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium II
Yoshi's (Melee)
Dreamland 64

(Yoshi's and DL64 are more BL neutral, but that's what bans/striking are for and there are only certain characters for whom they aren't very neutral)

Counterpick:
Yoshi's (Brawl)
Green Hill Zone
Final Destination
Norfair
Fountain of Dreams
Dracula's Castle
Skyloft
Metal Cavern
WarioWare

Debatable Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64
Halberd

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Fox Hater your argument only holds up if you assume that you can play only one character. I'm sorry, but if you're dedicated to only one character you have to accept that they have bad MU's and you're going to have to deal with it. advanced slob picks have been standard for a while and they allow the loser to set the stage of the match without completely ****ing the winner (because they can switch chars) and then they get to cp the new character. Arguing that it screws people who only know how to play one character is stupid because you should know how to play more than one character if you expect to do well.

Anyway, I agree with Vro that the process should be swift and easy for both players. I agree with a strict, conservative neutral list. But I still think that the CPS should be open to more unique stages.

Neutral:
Battlefield
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium II
Yoshi's (Melee)
Dreamland 64

(Yoshi's and DL64 are more BL neutral, but that's what bans/striking are for and there are only certain characters for whom they aren't very neutral)

Counterpick:
Yoshi's (Brawl)
Green Hill Zone
Final Destination
Norfair
Fountain of Dreams
Dracula's Castle
Skyloft
Metal Cavern
WarioWare

Debatable Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64
Halberd
Just to clear out I play more than one character. Fox and Falco, its friends that I have that I have seen them screwed at tournaments because the counterpick the winner and then the winners counterpick them back. But hey thats the rule and if you play good you play good on all enviroments. The thing is that id doesnt make sense for someone who is about to counter pick to get counterpicked back. Where is the logic in that.

Then someone argues "Dededeeeeee" But hey stages screw up and affects the match. But they forget that after Pound 4 that is why people started to limit the counter pick stages to some that are neutral and are less random.

So now it does not make sense for the winner to change characters because he won and the stage that is coming up is kind of neutral. And he can ban a stage that he does not like to play with.

Ive already give two ideas and people some what have diferent ideas too.
I've also given some thought and since the winner is not changing character. First he changes character, then winner ban a stage then loser picks. That way seems more fair.

I would like to understand how playing on neutral stages that are not affected by a random factor ***s up the winner if the loser changes character and the winner gets to ban a stage he doesnt like. How please enlighten me :)

Neutral:
Battlefield
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium II

Counterpick:
Yoshi's (Brawl)
Green Hill Zone
Final Destination
Norfair
Fountain of Dreams
Skyloft
Yoshi's (Melee)
Dreamland 64

Debatable Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Dracula's Castle
WarioWare

Life

Smash Hero
I know I'm late on this comment, but mfw 10 stages is considered a big list in a game that's a hack of a game with over 20 viably legal stages (I can list them if you'd like): 0_o

Even the Apex list, which bans a lot of good stages (a few were to have an excuse to keep MK legal, but there's no good reason for banning PS2 IMO), has ten stages with five starters.

Seriously, by the time this game is finished nearly every stage should be legal (excepting nostalgia bait like Fourside, Corneria, etc). Maybe not all at one tournament, a rotation might be good to keep things shook up, but other than that what's the point of having stages you never use?

Of course, the game isn't finished yet, we're just on the fourth-ish demo. (1, 2, 2.1, 2.5)

More later.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Just to clear out I play more than one character. Fox and Falco, its friends that I have that I have seen them screwed at tournaments because the counterpick the winner and then the winners counterpick them back. But hey thats the rule and if you play good you play good on all enviroments. The thing is that id doesnt make sense for someone who is about to counter pick to get counterpicked back. Where is the logic in that.

Then someone argues "Dededeeeeee" But hey stages screw up and affects the match. But they forget that after Pound 4 that is why people started to limit the counter pick stages to some that are neutral and are less random.

So now it does not make sense for the winner to change characters because he won and the stage that is coming up is kind of neutral. And he can ban a stage that he does not like to play with.

Ive already give two ideas and people some what have diferent ideas too.
I've also given some thought and since the winner is not changing character. First he changes character, then winner ban a stage then loser picks. That way seems more fair.

I would like to understand how playing on neutral stages that are not affected by a random factor ***s up the winner if the loser changes character and the winner gets to ban a stage he doesnt like. How please enlighten me :)
The winner isn't CP'ing you back. You pick stage, and the winner gets to change character to adapt to that stage.

The important part here is that the loser gets to pick his character AFTER the winner changes his. If the winner had to stay with his character he'd be hard CP'd twice. It's important to let the person being CP'd adapt to the next match, but the loser STILL gets the advantage of setting the stage and CP'ing the character.

The only time the winner is ever "counterpicking you back" is when you aren't able to switch characters, i.e. you don't play another character.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I've just scanned over most of the posts on here, so I may sound a bit redundant and annoying, but here we go.

1) Defining what "Neutral" and "Counterpick" are
I've always been under the mindset that a Neutral was a stage that was static, symmetric, and geometric type of stage. [By "static" I mean "what the characters can interact with and/or get interacted by stays the same throughout the entirety of the game" so there are no 'interruptions' to or drastic changes in how the players are playing (ie, not like SV's or YI's moving/rotating platforms); by "symmetric" I mean "equa-distance and size of all interactive parts of the stage" in order keep play concentrated on center-stage (ie, not like Corneria or the landscapes changes on PS1); by "geometric" I mean "straight, flat, and squared surfaces to interact with" (ie, not like YS's and YI's edges that dip down).]
However, I can understand and empathize with the need to have Neutral stages that are not a hindrance or help to any of the cast. But the problem we will run into that due to the dynamic nature of the characters in Smash (size, shape, speed, weight, moveset, etc) there will always be stages that - even if slightly - will help or hinder certain characters more than others.

Regardless what I think, or any other random n00b smasher thinks, the only way to solve the defining problem is to have an organized discussion about it (like we're doing now, but more organized) and make a final decision. Not only will this help out how we will select Neutral and Counterpick stages, but it will help out those working on Project M by giving a standard to work with and thus create more/better neutral/competitive stages.

2) Should we keep/change our Counterpick-ban system?
I think our counterpick system is great! - especially if the counterpicks aren't ridiculous. And everyone working on PM is doing a great job in providing that. :)
I believe the stage-ban(s) does exactly what some of the community wants in this thread: it eliminates the most hindering (to you) and helpful (to your opponent) stages on the list, and provides a much more 'neutral' (as in, not hindering or helping) set. I think it was Scar that mentioned that we should probably do 2 bans, because there are so many stages, and I agree. But I do think that the community should really communicate how many bans should be allowed, if bans are continued to be allowed.

3) More on selecting stages
If PM gives and/or the community allows for a good number of Neutrals, I don't see a problem with just going random throughout a set (with or without bans, depending on how many stages it is). This could be completely up to TOs for more fun, lax focused tournaments (like Amateur brackets, or new player tournaments).
And, if that's taken as community standard (even if it's not taken as standard), I have a suggestion: Grandfinals - for (super)regionals, nationals, and internationals - having to play on all the Neutrals (with or without bans, depending on stage count). First stage is random, and they play to the best of [insert how ever many neutral stages there are]. If all the neutrals get played, then they go to counterpicking (stage selector being the one with the least wins, or the one who lost last if there's a tie in wins). But that could get ridiculous, and long. So take that suggestion lightly.

If none of that works out, we could discuss having a set stages for a tournament/bracket-round. I used to watch/play MLG-style Halo, and at every tournament, for every round in the bracket, they would have set exactly what gametypes to play on what maps. We could do the same thing, especially if we have a lot of neutrals.
Example: Early rounds you have to play, in order BF, FD, SV. Then with WF, LF, and GF you set 5 stages to play, each different (or at least different order). This would be especially interesting if the Gym Leader/badge thing that the Melee It On Me guys were talking about ever goes into effect in the future, because then each region could have its own set of stages it used in GF and could be used for Gym Leader challenges.
[For more on the Gym Leader/badges thing, and Melee It On Me, check out the topic on here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330282]

4) My Stage List for PM v2.5
This is if we kept the same counterpick/ban system that we do now

Neutrals
Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls (Teams)
SSE: Jungle (Teams)

(Light) Counterpicks
Dreamland
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Smashville
Norfair
Lylat
Warioware
Green Hill Zone
Dracula's Castle
Rumble Falls (Singles)
SSE: Jungle (Singles)

(Hard) Counterpicks
Metal Cavern
Hyrule Castle
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Skyloft
Pictochat*
Halberd*

*-easily debatable to be off the list

I don't exactly know what 'Light' and 'Hard' Counterpicks mean for the counterpick system, I just felt the need to differentiate between stages that were hardly off from being Neutral and stages that were very different.

5) Stage Suggestions
I. Frigate Orpheon - second form: Removing the platform that goes in and out at the sides, this would be a great addition to the already great list of stages. Would fit nicely into my Light Counterpick category.
II. Pictochat - without all the 'stuff': I think it would be great to have another flat, platformless stage to add to the list. I don't know the size difference between FD and Picto, but if we could have a smaller stage like FD, it would add more dynamic to stage selection.

Well, there's my 2 cents.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
The winner isn't CP'ing you back. You pick stage, and the winner gets to change character to adapt to that stage.

The only time the winner is ever "counterpicking you back" is when you aren't able to switch characters, i.e. you don't play another character.
I guess we are getting somewhere now with this discussion. Some have agreed that the looser gets counterpicked when they dont play another characters. Now since he is the one that lost the first match, should this be allowed because he/she devotes to one character. I think this rule could be tweaked, and some agreements could be made in order to not punish character loyalist :)

Here is my idea again

Personally I like

choose one of the following

A.Counter pick stage: Winner ban a stage first and stay with character. loser then picks stage

B. Counterpick Character
1B. Loser selects character
2B. Stage strike with the original neutral stages. ( Maybe it could be added for this round CP stages also to the strike ;) )

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
People who think "I should win if I'm counterpicking" are just wrong. You get a slight advantage, and trying to take away the opponent's ability to adapt by locking their character is a scrub mentality. The guy who lost, does not deserve a giant advantage because of it. He lost. The winner should not be getting screwed on counterpicks because he won. Winning is what he's supposed to do.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The first scenario sucks if you start off the set vs a disadvantages MU. If I blind pick my opponent, and unfortunately he choose a counter, the next game I can't remedy that. I may find a stage that gets even, but then Game 3 we're still in the same bad MU and he picks his stage.

The second scenario gives the Winner of Game 1 much more control over where the next stage will be. It also weeds out the stage list, unless you want to add CP stages, and even then it's basically like giving the winner a ton of stage bans. Normal ruleset he bans 1-2 stages, opponent picks from the rest. In your ruleset, he gets to strike multiple stages during CPing. Striking

I'm not a fan of preventing people from switching. Loser or Winner.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
The starter/counterpick thing is way better than neutral vs counterpick, imo.

Sorry, there are MUs where I don't want to start on Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2 or Smashville. No thanks.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
The starter/counterpick thing is way better than neutral vs counterpick, imo.

Sorry, there are MUs where I don't want to start on Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium 2 or Smashville. No thanks.
what does this mean? What's the difference between a neutral and a starter? it's just a bad system when you say "these stages are legal, but you cant' start on them because... i dunno, MK 2 gud :troll:"

Life

Smash Hero
So much wrong with the way caKe talks about starters and what a stage *should* be (stages are all relative guys), but at least he recognizes that dynamic stages have a right to exist.

Speaking of which, what's with this anti-Halberd sentiment I keep hearing? There's literally nothing wrong with the stage, especially given that the claw isn't there anymore. (And is Norfair ever getting its hazards back? I understand they were supposed to be nerfed and altered for the new layout but there was a coding problem with that?)

thespymachine

Smash Ace
So much wrong with the way caKe talks about starters and what a stage *should* be (stages are all relative guys), but at least he recognizes that dynamic stages have a right to exist.

Speaking of which, what's with this anti-Halberd sentiment I keep hearing? There's literally nothing wrong with the stage, especially given that the claw isn't there anymore. (And is Norfair ever getting its hazards back? I understand they were supposed to be nerfed and altered for the new layout but there was a coding problem with that?)
I don't mean to seem like I'm bickering, but I don't recall saying how starters/neutrals/stages 'should' be. I think your statement may be referring to my mindset/impression on what a neutral is. I'm absolutely open to discussing what starters/neutrals/stages are and/or should be, though. That's why I'm here! :)

With that said: I think a stage 'should' be "a playing field that doesn't hinder competition, and keeps a balanced expression of the characters and techniques the game allows."
As we play it, stocks are our 'scoring' of choice, so each stage should allow characters to be KO'd - having different deathzone creates a dynamic with the character weights/KO strength. There's gravity, so there should be some ground to play on - different stage sizes and adding platforms of different lengths, heights, and number provides a dynamic with the mobility and attack ranges of characters. Etc, etc.
I'm just trying to take a very simplistic approach to it.

As for Halberd, it's the stage transformations that do it for me. It just seems like such a drastic change of gameplay, which can come in the middle of deep fighting. But, I kept it on my list because I don't think it's bad enough.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
People who think "I should win if I'm counterpicking" are just wrong. You get a slight advantage, and trying to take away the opponent's ability to adapt by locking their character is a scrub mentality. The guy who lost, does not deserve a giant advantage because of it. He lost. The winner should not be getting screwed on counterpicks because he won. Winning is what he's supposed to do.
Exactly what you said I dont think counterpicking should mean win, even the word counterpicking is not used the same way in the FGC. If not the first match should decide the outcome anyway.

Either rematch of change characters. But in melee stages affect somewhat matchups. That is why I think it should be one of both and the winner stays. Either you change stage or change character. If you change stage, since stages affects, at least winner is allowed to ban a stage that he does not feel comfortable. And if the loser changes character, stage strike again

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Exactly what you said I dont think counterpicking should mean win, even the word counterpicking is not used the same way in the FGC.

Either rematch of change characters. But in melee stages affect somewhat matchups. That is why I think it should be one of both and the winner stays. Either you change stage or change character. If you change stage, since stages affects at least winner is allowed to ban a stage that he does not feel comfortable. And if the loser changes character, stage strike again
Considering most players stick with one character throughout a match anyways, I think I like this.

Oracle

Smash Master
Just to clarify, the only real reason to ban a stage is if it introduces situations in which a worse player can win. The two main situations that introduce this are randomness and matchup swing. Of the ~20 viable stages, none swing a matchup into unviable or have significant random factors. And even if they do, you have a bunch of stage bans so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't really understand why you would want to change the CP system. There are zero problems with the current one, and being character locked gives no advantage to the winning player for having secondaries to deal with bad stages. If a player is actually good enough to master multiple characters, shouldn't he get some reward for that?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I don't really understand why you would want to change the CP system. There are zero problems with the current one, and being character locked gives no advantage to the winning player for having secondaries to deal with bad stages. If a player is actually good enough to master multiple characters, shouldn't he get some reward for that?
He gets rewarded, he can pick more than one character from the beggining of the set and he can switch when he loses. Is not that enough? If we are to allow a player to simply switch chars it should be allow always the thing with character lock for the winner has always been in fighting games for this reason:

First 1 match is not enough to learn patterns so they feel a 2 out of 3 is a better outcome since it gives you at least one match to learn a pattern or to adapt. In the second match the loser is given the choice to change character or strategy( in SF super, in tekken stage) and the winner stays.

The thing is that even if the loser dont change character the winner has a second match to adapt and learn more patterns and since he won the first match he has the final say in the third match where he can switch and gets rewarded like you mentioned above
So in Smash since stages ( even though most agrees that the stages from the list are kind of neutral meaning it does not reward the lesser player to win ) "affect" an idea could be

Loser has two Options

A. Switch Characters
Winner Stays and a stage strike would begin again. ( Now its up to us if in this second or third round we could add to the list of stages the counter pick list also + the neutral stages)

B. Loser Changes stage ( because he feels he has a better strategy on this stage, not because is an automatic win. So the winner is not getting ***d up ;) )

Winner stays but gets to ban a stage he does not feel comfortable to play. That way loser doesnt get full reward.

I think this is pretty fair and logic for both sides taking into consideration that the winner of the first match has the final say in the third match.

Lmao! Fox Hater, did you just point out my join date as indicative of my reasoning? :facepalm: I was frequenting these forums long before I actually cared enough to join. It's called lurking. :p
No, Pound 4 happend in 09 the desicion to ban these stages was made months after it, that is why I gave the links. I like debating with people and I take everything into consideration I dont judge or dismiss anyone for being part of smash recently ( if that was the case ) I also dont take things to a personal level if you felt that way you have my apologies. But lets not deviate from the topic at hand :)

Oracle

Smash Master
Reading that gave me a headache. Its like you used google translate to write it.

I legitimately don't know what you're trying to say

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Stopping people from switching characters is a no-no. If you want to change the stage list, you can make it ultra conservative and only play on neutrals, or you can restrict how far people can CP in some other fashion. Leave the character aspect alone because being character locked is not happening for a Smash game. If you want to play on a single neutral only for the entire set, maybe then you could argue for no character switching for the winner. Otherwise, it's a horrible idea and adds another problem.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Alright, here we go. How far would this go towards pleasing most people?
  1. Winner bans stage(s) (# of stages allowed to be banned may be tweaked).
  2. Strike from the remaining stages in a manner that would have the loser strike last (with 5 stages, Loser would strike first and last; with 7 stages, Winner would strike first but Loser would strike last; etc).
  3. Winner picks char.
  4. Loser picks char.
Short, sweet, simple, and fairer than the ol' Melee way. What problems does anyone have with this system?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
Stopping people from switching characters is a no-no. If you want to change the stage list, you can make it ultra conservative and only play on neutrals, or you can restrict how far people can CP in some other fashion. Leave the character aspect alone because being character locked is not happening for a Smash game. If you want to play on a single neutral only for the entire set, maybe then you could argue for no character switching for the winner. Otherwise, it's a horrible idea and adds another problem.
Why do you feel it adds another problem?

Reading that gave me a headache. Its like you used google translate to write it.

OMG tryhard, maybe my english is not the best, clearly is not my main language but what other language can you speak?
And I dont use Google translate, u racist? but i wont drop to your level of ignorance :awesome:

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
  2. Strike from the remaining stages in a manner that would have the loser strike last (with 5 stages, Loser would strike first and last; with 7 stages, Winner would strike first but Loser would strike last; etc).
  3. Winner picks char.
  4. Loser picks char.
Short, sweet, simple, and fairer than the ol' Melee way. What problems does anyone have with this system?
Being the case that the winner can switch I would prefer the loser to be able to pick from a list of stages and not strike. Now given that there are more stages in PM # of stages allowed to be banned by winner may be tweaked.

I still dont get it why are we allowing the winner to switch characters, no one has given me a logical reason apart that somehow winner gets "***d up twice" or that is unfair for character loyalist :(

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I still dont get it why are we allowing the winner to switch characters, no one has given me a logical reason apart that somehow winner gets "***d up twice" or that is unfair for character loyalist :(
A reason I can think of is that due to the dynamic nature of smash (ie, character types and stages) it makes it much easier to 'hard' counter players. By being able to select a character's worst (possible) stage and worst MU, you're completely punishing the player who won for winning.
Popular fighting games have flat stages and walls, and all the characters are designed for this. Counterpicking stage makes no sense, because it means nothing to gameplay (unless it lags, or gives your character special abilities or something). So, in order fo a counterpick system to even be existent in FGs, the winner stay their character and the loser can change; or, 1 counter. Unlike other FGs though, the stages in Smash create different types of play which can hinder or help certain characters greatly. Thus, by allowing a counter stage and character, without allowing the winner to change character, it becomes 2 counters.

But, also because of how dynamic Smash is, counterpicking, striking, and banning create a methodology that allows for more characters to be played in a more 'neutral' manner. A counter-example to the counterpick system would be a static stage list for every set. By doing this we'd be dictating, very directly, which characters will have the advantages and which will not. Only if every stage was played would a static stage list be viable - but that would mean those developing PM would have to work on every possible form of a stage that could be considered 'competitive,' in order to maker sure all characters have their stages, and thus only the viability of the characters matters. That seems like too much work, or impossible.

So, by allowing the winner to change character keeps the pros of how dynamic Smash is, but doesn't punish the winner for winning.

If you take anything from this it should be that being countered twice, for winning, is not good and unconducive to competition.

Vashimus

Smash Master

Easy. Maybe English isn't his first language. It's not that big a deal now, really.

EDIT: Oh, well I guess I was right.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
A reason I can think of is that due to the dynamic nature of smash (ie, character types and stages) it makes it much easier to 'hard' counter players. By being able to select a character's worst (possible) stage and worst MU, you're completely punishing the player who won for winning.
Popular fighting games have flat stages and walls, and all the characters are designed for this. Counterpicking stage makes no sense, because it means nothing to gameplay (unless it lags, or gives your character special abilities or something). So, in order fo a counterpick system to even be existent in FGs, the winner stay their character and the loser can change; or, 1 counter. Unlike other FGs though, the stages in Smash create different types of play which can hinder or help certain characters greatly. Thus, by allowing a counter stage and character, without allowing the winner to change character, it becomes 2 counters.

But, also because of how dynamic Smash is, counterpicking, striking, and banning create a methodology that allows for more characters to be played in a more 'neutral' manner. A counter-example to the counterpick system would be a static stage list for every set. By doing this we'd be dictating, very directly, which characters will have the advantages and which will not. Only if every stage was played would a static stage list be viable - but that would mean those developing PM would have to work on every possible form of a stage that could be considered 'competitive,' in order to maker sure all characters have their stages, and thus only the viability of the characters matters. That seems like too much work, or impossible.

So, by allowing the winner to change character keeps the pros of how dynamic Smash is, but doesn't punish the winner for winning.

If you take anything from this it should be that being countered twice, for winning, is not good and unconducive to competition.
Ok seems reasonable, and maybe its two counters I understand Now. But could we try to test other rules instead to adopt whats been used the whole time. Because one thing is clear chosing character and stage is unfair for the winner, but also its unfair for character loyalist ( and being a loyalist does not make u a worse player that a pro who uses a lot of character, if not tell that to my friend HDL who uses Link and ***** with him.)

So why not find something that makes everyone happy and but by improving current rule set not because someone ask to.

Now Here is what I propose.

Loser chose either A or B

A: change stage.

Winner ban a stage ( one that he feels is going to make it a worse match up )
Then loser Picks ( Both players dont switch character ).

B: Loser changes characters:

Loser makes the call that he is going to change character
Winner bans a stage
Loser pick a stage
Winner changes if he desires
The loser changes character.

I think this way we cover most options, we allow winner to change a charatcer if the loser first decides he is going to change and its not a twice counter pick :)

seems pretty fair and legit right?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
  3. Winner picks char.
  4. Loser picks char.
The issue is that there is no difference between stage bans and striking from the Winner's perspective.

Say you have 10 stages and he can ban 1. 9 stages left for him to deal with.

Say you have 10 stages, he can ban 1, and then the remaining stages are struck from. He strikes roughly half. These strikes basically count as bans: opponent can't pick them right? What is the difference between 5 stages removed from banning, and 5 stages removed from striking? It's literally the same, just a difference process. Striking during CPing is effectively giving the Winner a ton of bans. That's not healthy. It would not be so bad IF the stage list was only neutrals, but in that case you're better off with just the individual ban and letting people CP anything they want off the neutral list (plus it could get messy with DSR and longer sets).

Striking processes in general are only good for the first game, because you're trying to come up with a fair way to determine which stage to play the first game on instead of random, which can unfairly mess with a player due to a dice roll. Striking is inherently designed to give both players a say on what stage shall be picked. Besides giving the Winner a ban or two, our goal shouldn't be to let him even further dictate which "half" of the stages he would not like to see. CPing should ideally be letting the loser pick any playable stage, sans the one-two the opponent bans.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
How many times do I have to say it? If I win and ban a stage that makes sense (like DL64 after beating Samus or FoD after beating Peach), why the heck should the loser be allowed to pick Yoshi's AND Marth without letting the winner change? This has already happened to me in tournament. I won against a Jiggs main who showed no indication of having a Marth. I banned DL64. He CP'd Yoshi's AND Marth on my Samus. I stuck with Samus (and won) but that was my choice! What if I had been stuck as that char and wasn't as confident in the Marth MU?

Edit: This is not directed at you DMG. Actually, it's obvious whom it's directed at. ;)

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
How many times do I have to say it? If I win and ban a stage that makes sense (like DL64 after beating Samus or FoD after beating Peach), why the heck should the loser be allowed to pick Yoshi's AND Marth without letting the winner change? This has already happened to me in tournament. I won against a Jiggs main who showed no indication of having a Marth. I banned DL64. He CP'd Yoshi's AND Marth on my Samus. I stuck with Samus (and won) but that was my choice! What if I had been stuck as that char and wasn't as confident in the Marth MU?

Edit: This is not directed at you DMG. Actually, it's obvious whom it's directed at. ;)
I dont know if you saw this post i made above but what do you think about this

Winner bans a stage
Loser pick a stage

I think this way we cover most options, we allow winner to change a charatcer if the loser first decides he is going to change and its not a twice counter pick :)

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
But it's never a "twice counterpick"

Not ever.
When or how?

I assume you are taking into consideration these

Winner bans a stage
Loser pick a stage

Because B option is the current rule set and A is just giving the option to chose only to change stage so the winner doesnt but he gets to ban a stage before you pick.

How is that counterpicking twice ;)

Eaode

Smash Champion
Why are you trying to cater to "character loyalists?"
That's a fancy term for someone who isn't versatile in tournament. Yes it's totally fine if someone if so confident and dedicated to their main that they don't have a strong second or third, but they are making the conscious decision by doing so that they are not adaptable to the scope of this game. They may be good enough to weather bad matchups, and they better be, because they made that decision themselves.

We shouldn't cater the rules to someone who has literally decided to play only one character. They made that choice.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I dont know if you saw this post i made above but what do you think about this

Winner bans a stage
Loser pick a stage

That's kinda like the system I suggested, except I had characters still being changeable for both parties in A and stage striking instead of banning in B. Still, I don't think most people like the idea of ever not being able to change chars between matches.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Ok seems reasonable, and maybe its two counters I understand Now. But could we try to test other rules instead to adopt whats been used the whole time. Because one thing is clear chosing character and stage is unfair for the winner, but also its unfair for character loyalist ( and being a loyalist does not make u a worse player that a pro who uses a lot of character, if not tell that to my friend HDL who uses Link and ***** with him.)
If the goal of tournaments and competing was to see who could stay the most loyal to a single character, then character loyalty would factor into the rules. The fact of the matter is, however, that the goal of competing is to determine a winner and a loser - and the goal of the rules is to establish balanced form of gameplay so better players beat worse players.

And, in addition, character loyalty (or the lack of) doesn't mean a player is good or bad. Examples: HungryBox is always Puff, and Mango can play like 4 characters at top level. It just depends on style of play. But I would say that, typically, most players are loyalists, and only those that are very good at the game can play multiple characters well.

So why not find something that makes everyone happy and but by improving current rule set not because someone ask to.

Now Here is what I propose.

Winner bans a stage
Loser pick a stage

seems pretty fair and legit right?
Option "B" is what we do now for counterpicking.
Better examples (imo) would be:

A - Counter stage
Winner bans stage(s)
Loser chooses a stage

B - Counter character
Loser chooses new character
Stage strike for new stage

But, I like the current system.

Top Bottom