• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
...What about Yoshi's Island? It's currently considered Neutral. But then there's the Support Ghost, who has saved quite a few of my opponents from edgeguarding, edgehogging and Meteor Smashes. Could that be enough to make it Neutral/Counterpick?
No. The support ghost can save everyone. Even though it saves some characters more necessarily than others, the stage is an extremely good starter. We call them "starters" because they're not neutral, but close to it.

Halberdierv2

Smash Rookie
what I'm trying to figure out, why is shadow moses Island banned?

anyways, banned or not, i will play on any stage. IMO, there is no need to ban stages. if you think a stage is unfair, change your game plan to suit the stage.

Lawmaker4

Smash Rookie
People,

This thread is about smash brawl competition level issues. Comments about how evey stage is just as good as any other belong somewhere in the "Hi I'm new to all this." catagory. Read this discussion and begin to get a handle on advanced smash techniques, terminology, and strategy. Otherwise you can always have fun with just 2 min-match-brawl-anyone on the wifi, if you think anything goes.

I say this in love, sort a

infomon

Smash Scientist
Shadow Moses Island: Infinites against the wall, and if the walls are gone, it's walk-off edges for other infinites.... lol.

Halberdierv2

Smash Rookie
People,

This thread is about smash brawl competition level issues. Comments about how evey stage is just as good as any other belong somewhere in the "Hi I'm new to all this." catagory. Read this discussion and begin to get a handle on advanced smash techniques, terminology, and strategy. Otherwise you can always have fun with just 2 min-match-brawl-anyone on the wifi, if you think anything goes.

I know about all of that, and I know that not all stages are equal, which sucks, because your favourite childhood stages can't be played in official tournaments. I know about the advenced techniques, teminology, strategy and the rest, i practise them. but that still doesnt excuse having to compartmentalise this game just to prove you are an expert in it.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I know about all of that, and I know that not all stages are equal, which sucks, because your favourite childhood stages can't be played in official tournaments. I know about the advenced techniques, teminology, strategy and the rest, i practise them. but that still doesnt excuse having to compartmentalise this game just to prove you are an expert in it.
If you were familiar with strategy you would know why SMI is banned... so I have some trouble believing you here.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
People,

Who are you.

Why do you only have 9 posts.

Why are you capable of speaking such truths.

Amigo

Smash Cadet
Can someone give me an up to date list of banned stages? Or atleast give me a page number where it would be on.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Can someone give me an up to date list of banned stages? Or atleast give me a page number where it would be on.
Check the first post.

We're just agreeing/disagreeing now.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Check the first post.

We're just agreeing/disagreeing now.
That list is ********, though. It has GHZ for crying out loud.

I know about all of that, and I know that not all stages are equal, which sucks, because your favourite childhood stages can't be played in official tournaments. I know about the advenced techniques, teminology, strategy and the rest, i practise them. but that still doesnt excuse having to
compartmentalise this game just to prove you are an expert in it.
I don't know everything. If I did, I wouldn't have asked.
You don't know about these things, which you said you did. If you did, you wouldn't have given this statement:
if you think a stage is unfair, change your game plan to suit the stage.

infomon

Smash Scientist
If DDD grabs any character he can CG in virtually any situation on the stage, it results in a lost stock.
Not against Ice Climbers, if Nana's around. <3

Not if the floor is broken and in the way, and not if the ..... spinny-thing (what's it called?) is in the way (altho it won't matter if D3's going the right way or if the chaingrab can be delayed until its spinny time runs out, and of course the grabee will have to have hit it beforehand... but w/e).

Does D3's Dthrow CG work on all characters? (or just most :urg:)

That's all pretty weak, but it's enough that I'm unconvinced. I'm by no means an expert, but it seems there's at least reasonable cause for doubt.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Not against Ice Climbers, if Nana's around. <3

Not if the floor is broken and in the way, and not if the ..... spinny-thing (what's it called?) is in the way (altho it won't matter if D3's going the right way or if the chaingrab can be delayed until its spinny time runs out, and of course the grabee will have to have hit it beforehand... but w/e).

Does D3's Dthrow CG work on all characters? (or just most :urg:)

That's all pretty weak, but it's enough that I'm unconvinced. I'm by no means an expert, but it seems there's at least reasonable cause for doubt.
Just most characters... the floor won't break because DDD will 3 stock you in like 2 minutes. :p

nick_phizz

Smash Cadet
I forgot to come back and check from earlier... I consider pausing the game and pressing those four buttons on that controller device you play the game with ending a match. And when the fight is over, I refer to that as someone winning.
Simple misunderstanding on your part taken as a free chance to insult someone - way to go.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
nick_phizz (in a PM to me) said:
Avoiding getting other people upset in the topic...

you: If you don't edgeguard, you're not playing the game well.

Are you serious? That's not a competitive strategy.

you: If you think you can play on any stage, your opponents aren't good enough.

What does that have to do with your opponent?
Could someone please answer these questions for him? I'm too busy for this....

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
Should Yoshi's Island (Brawl) be a counterpick?

I know everything about the stage is very fine and fair but just one thing...

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPE39K4g_XE&feature=related

This is the only reason that I might consider Yoshi's Island (Brawl) to be a counterpick. The platform comes up very randomly from the side and can either kill/help people and so I want to discuss this some more.

Note: Bridge of Eldin is banned because it is too big and too flat, so it prefers several characters, like Falco and Pit because of their projectiles.

infomon

Smash Scientist

This is the only reason that I might consider Yoshi's Island (Brawl) to be a counterpick. The platform comes up very randomly from the side and can either kill/help people and so I want to discuss this some more.
Is it really random? I'd assumed there was some timer thing to it, or at least an indication from the sounds/changing seasons that indicates when it will come.

Even if it is random, you know where it will happen, and you can learn whatever patterns it does have, and you can factor those odds into your game. It's by no means game-breaking, and it has a pretty even impact on all characters.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I still find it super funny that most tourneys banned Pokemon Stadum 2, (in my area), the only thing I hear is the Diddy Kong Down-B on the Electric field, but what are the odd's of it being an Electric field? They just want to ban it because it makes Kirby's match up's all in his favor, (Flying field and Electric field is Kirby area only). ;p

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion

Note: Bridge of Eldin is banned because it is too big and too flat, so it prefers several characters, like Falco and Pit because of their projectiles.
I'm boggled by this post.
It was luck, the platform happened to be coming up as she fell.
There isn't much of a discussion to be had, nothing to break this course, no hazards, how isn't it random?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well... Shy Guys block projectiles, but the two things are only very minor at best, and no reason why It should move away from neutral.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
I was just thinking, since some stages got counterpick'd for very simple things (Pokemon Stadium 1), then why don't we take a second look at Yoshi's Island? I think it has the most potential out of all of the neutral stages to be a counterpick. I wanted to see people's opinions on it.

There really isn't that much counterpick about it, just these two things:
1. Platform that randomly comes out off the side. Can save/hurt people in different situations
2. Shy Guys that can potentialy block projectiles.

I am in agreement that it should stay neutral, but I'm just think that if some stages got counterpick for little things, why not Yoshi's Island?

Discuss.

infomon

Smash Scientist
...lol.
Play a competent D3 on there, you'll understand.
Can you please explain what the result of this would be? We don't have any hardcore D3s in our area, but we've been having a lot of talks about stage viability. Our matches on BoE aren't yet able to show anything significantly broken about it. :ohwell:

PS1 is definitely more disruptive than YI:B, altho not much. The temporary walls often causes a total interruption of play, since neither are willing to cross to the other side... the random parts of YI:B are extremely minor, without significant character favouritisim, except maybe one or two things (like IC Nana getting confused by the ghost, lol).

Edit: err, but I really came to mention that PS1 is on the "starter/counter" list, meaning the SBR leaves it up to the TO to decide, since it's borderline each category.

Who are you.

Why do you only have 9 posts.

Why are you capable of speaking such truths.
Agreed. This man is truly a genius.

I don't know everything. If I did, I wouldn't have asked.
Yep...you most DEFINITELY don't know everything. If you practice advanced techniques like you say you do, you wouldn't be asking stupid questions and you most certainly would not assert something so foolish as any stage is playable. I suggest you play someone who's actually better than you, and therefore good at the game, before you come in here anymore. No offense. I say that seriously for your own personal welfare. You will become the target of merciless flame in any thread here talking like that.

And PS1 is not neutral because of not only the windmill, but because of temporary wall infinites, which are EXTREMELY easy to do in this game, whereas in Melee it was virtually impossible to do an infinite...infinitely.:p I don't really mind it being neutral though, as the camping kind of cancels out the infinites.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
SamuraiPanda said:
Why is this thread even here? The stage isn't banned because our ruleset is slightly outdated. We made it quite awhile ago. Wait for a new one to be released to see if this stage is still around.
There's going to be a new one!

See people. This why you complain. :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Where and when is that comment from?

What are you suggesting is the result of complaining? I hope stages aren't being banned based on how vocal ppl are about banning some vs. others!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow, did stage ban take a turn like the Meta Knight ban.... I think it did. XD

I will say that Corneria should be in Cournter/Banned though, it's not broken enough to be banned.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I think he an too... evn if he cant, he can bthrow->death on the extreme sides
He can.

I like the way you think Deoxys.
Thanks. If no one else answers your questions soon, I'll be sure to address them by Sunday night.

Yeah, it's random IIRC...
Different = OMG BAN
Yeah, sadly. A tourney I'm going to in January has Luigi's Mansion banned. <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom