• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Well that was sooner than expected. Here's the official list:

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Counter/Banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

Banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Compare it to our final list:

Singles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended:Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green GreensRecommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Hanenbow Recommended: Counterpick
Jungle Japes Recommended: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Counterpick

Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned
Norfair Recommended: Banned
75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Corneria Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mario Circuit Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

I'll just take this opportunity to make a smug face to all the Jungle Japes disbelievers. :chuckle:
Though Corneria, Hanenbow, and Mario Circuit have surprising placement.

Snail

Smash Lord
Aw, they banned SMI. I love that stage... Oh well, I'm glad they got rid of Hanenbow too.

They're giving us the choice to cp or ban certain stages. Since most TO's will be conservative... I guess it's okay o_o Though I'd rather seen a definite ban on Skyworld and Port Town.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Aw, they got rid of Hanenbow... Looks like I'm going to have to find another favorite counterpick stage whenever I'm Ike.

Glad Norfair is a CP, though. That's going to be an ideal CP when I'm playing Olimar.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Amasing, I won and lost at the same time when it came to PS1 and Norfair. If you recall, When I started posting here, I was a major advocate of PS1 being neutral, and Norfair being banned. Later, I was an advocate for Borderlining PS1 but Norfair stayed. I gave up on PS1 but not on Norfair. Surprise, PS1 is Borderline (YAY!) and Norfair is legal (what the ****), so I won and lost at the same time, weird isn't it?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I figured Hanenbow would be legal in doubles. Lylat Cruise's position at borderline starter surprises me.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Lylat Cruise's position at borderline starter surprises me.
In what way? I personally don't have any gripes with the stage, but a lot of people complain about the tilting sides messing up recoveries (spacies for example.)
I'd probably agree on it's placing.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
In what way? I personally don't have any gripes with the stage, but a lot of people complain about the tilting sides messing up recoveries (spacies for example.)
I'd probably agree on it's placing.
Lylat Cruise's edges aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. And the tilting isn't too significant, but I can see why people would have problems with it.

The only thing I've really encountered with the stage is the problem with re-timing jumps because of the tilting. But, even then, not too bad.

If I ever ran a tournament, I'd put this on Starter.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Something about how you could do say, forward b and the stage tilts away or something. I never really got that argument, but that's just me.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Ah i see.. well it doesn't really tilt all that much does it? Wolf's forward B doesn't have any problem with it slightly (barely) tilting, and the other two spacies can use the up special to guide where they go, same for Wolf, so I don't really see the problem..

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The stage discussion really isn't over guys, just FYI. We're going to come back to this over time, and basically once a year we're going to do a revamp of the rule list. More importantly, we will be editing the list if need be. That means if someone finds a way to totally break a certain stage or we get new information, we may end up doing surgery on the list to get rid of one. We may also add a stage in the future, but that it is highly unlikely.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
The stage discussion really isn't over guys, just FYI. We're going to come back to this over time, and basically once a year we're going to do a revamp of the rule list. More importantly, we will be editing the list if need be. That means if someone finds a way to totally break a certain stage or we get new information, we may end up doing surgery on the list to get rid of one. We may also add a stage in the future, but that it is highly unlikely.
That’s sad Overswarm… I’ve had high hopes for Rumble Falls being legalized as a counterpick. The scrolling speed, even when quickened, is fine in my opinion. If it were slower, major hazards like the spikes and walk-off sections would be active for too long making this stage much more dangerous at competitive play.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That’s sad Overswarm… I’ve had high hopes for Rumble Falls being legalized as a counterpick. The scrolling speed, even when quickened, is fine in my opinion. If it were slower, major hazards like the spikes and walk-off sections would be active for too long making this stage much more dangerous at competitive play.
I personally argued for it being a counterpick as well, but the majority o the SBR thought otherwise.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Overswarm, I have a question on the wireless thing. Do they apply to gamecube wireless controllers, wiimotes & classics, or a combination of the above?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well that was fast. OK, on the notes, you said that wireless controllers should be discouraged (for reasons you should know), but not outright banned. Does this apply to the Wii controlers (Wiimote, nunchuk [I just call it the nunchuk controller because it's faster than Wiimote+nunchuk] and classic controllers), the wireless gamecube controller, or both?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Thank you, so Wiimotes are partially discouraged, but there are systems in place to keep them in check.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Ah, so this is how this works. Good to know these aren't in stone...
I do not enjoy practicing on Port Town Aero Drive and Mario Circuit.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Port Town I can understand, but the cars aren't any trouble at all in Mario Circut.
Of course they're not, but those walk-offs are probably the easiest to take advantage of in the entire game. I'm dumbfounded as to why they're on the "kinda counterpick" list. Thankfully most tournaments will ban it easy.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
every stage in the game except FD and BF have some type of random occurance or fluctuation that lean the game somewhat towards luck rather than skill.

For example in yoshi's island the random platform pop ups, and the shy guys delaying what would have been killing blows.

Lylat and Smashville arent too bad as they r just somthing in a cycle that either player can clearly see. But i think if nothing else, yoshi's story/island/w.e should be atleast moved to a counter pick stage.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping for Big Blue, Rumble Falls, and Hanenbow to be legalized, as they are not broken. Unfortunately, the majority of the SBR didn't think that they should be. Also, on the Melee boards, I read a solid unban arguement for Temple, believe it or not. (the arguement only applies to teams, though.)

Big Blue: "you're fighting the stage as much, if not more than your opponent", I disagree with that, as I think that you're only fighting the stage if you're both unfamiliar to the stage and not good at adapting. I almost never fight the stage, although I do make my opponent fight it a lot, that's by spiking. The only legit reason I can see is that you can't tech a Footstool-jump. As for low-damage kills banning stages, should we ban edge-hogging, edge-gaurding or spikes, Ike's F-smash? I don't think so, I also believe in trying to save a stage and not just going out and banning it. What's ban-worthy about Big Blue besides "distracting from gameplay" or "low-damage kills"? Neither of those are true ban-reasons in my oppinion.

Rumble Falls: "you're fighting the stage as much, if not more than your opponent", again, I don't find that a reasonable ban-arguement, as a little stage familiarity fixes that, in Melee should we ban Pokefloats? What about Rainbow Cruise? In my oppinion fd is a lot more broken than any of these, yet it made Starter and both Big Blue and Rumble Falls made ban (although I'll just strike it and use it as my global ban instead of crying out for it's ban). Another thing, Rumble Falls is not Icicle Mountain, and even if it was, it wouldn't be that bad.

Hanenbow: "circle", I would agree if you couldn't jump up through every last one of the platforms, even 75m might not be that much of a problem. I'd unban Hanenbow in both singles and teams, and I'd test 75m some more (probably still banned in singles, not teams).

Also, what about Teams, Hanenbow is kind of unbanned in teams, but now Temple should be questioned in teams, yes I said Temple. This only applies to teams, as Temple's circle can be cut-off with good teamwork and skill. It won't work in singles. Even a team of Bowser and Ganondorf could beat 2 Sonics. Although I don't think it's very likely because Sonic probably owns both Bowser and Ganondorf everywhere (unless Gimpyfish is the Bowser). (I give credit to SOFT for the unban arguement of Temple, it's in this thread)

Also now that there's an official list, the legality of Custom Stages should come into question as legit CP's. If they aren't broken, Why not? But if they are, then there's a problem. We obviously can't have the SBR screen every one of them, that would take way too long. I'd like to see the SBR release a set of guidelines for custom stages, not to allow them outright, as otherwise I could easily pick Sonic and make a clone of Temple. Another problem is stage-familiarity, the limited-ness of Stage Builder kind of helps, but I'd say that the other player should be given some time to get familiar with the stage. Obviously not that much time, that could take too long. If the in-game customs were up for debate, only the Sample named "hole" could make the cut as far as I know. "Bath" has too much Wall-infinite-emphasis and only one tiny KO-zone out the bottom. The only other KO option is out the top. "Maze" has a circle, so in Singles, that's obvious, in Teams, the argument would be Wall-infinites and circle.

I'm still working on the SSBB Banned Stages Tournament Ruleset, it's not ready for a "beta-post".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom