• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSDX

Wah!
I personally don't even feel Delfino should be counterpick seeing that there are walkoff sides (three areas have this problem in the stage) and the issue with the water (Nothing wrong with it, but if there are olimar users, that could result in bad results).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
ban Chaingrabs Dickheads
Sure, and I can pick a character like Ness who has a backthrow that ignores weight and just camp there the entire match.

Especially given how this is a camping friendly game, that's such a viable tactic that in tandem with CGs makes the stages hard to keep legal.

Wes, the only CG that you could even discuss banning is D3's. Falco's is easy to predict due to percent restrictions, Yoshi requires his to be anywhere near viable, IC's CGs take a lot of skill, etc. Please, stop talking like a scrub ><

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
uh oh.
Smashboards needs an FAQ to prevent the death of this thread.
And please stop arguing for positions that the stage list agrees with unless you're issuing a rebuttal to someone who disagrees with the list. It isnt productive.

Since progress on the list for singles seems to have stagnated, i must ask a question.
How do you guys feel about walk-offs in doubles play?
i'm ok with bridge of eldin and green hill zone (checkpoints become much less of a factor in doubles), but i think mario circuit is too small.
Thoughts?

LSDX

Wah!
Sure, and I can pick a character like Ness who has a backthrow that ignores weight and just camp there the entire match.

Especially given how this is a camping friendly game, that's such a viable tactic that in tandem with CGs makes the stages hard to keep legal.

Wes, the only CG that you could even discuss banning is D3's. Falco's is easy to predict due to percent restrictions, Yoshi requires his to be anywhere near viable, IC's CGs take a lot of skill, etc. Please, stop talking like a scrub ><
Agreed, because no matter how much you try to stop one from using one tactic, they will always find another to kill you with. Destroy chaingrabbing, they'll use camp grabbing; destroy that, they'll use projectile spamming. The list goes on.

The problem is, people are trying to find ways to ban these things, when people should really be trying to find was to counter these tactics to use to their advantage. The more others complain about these so called "cheap" techniques, the more they will continue to use them to their advantage. If someone really wants it to stop, they must find a way to counter it, neutralizing their tactics.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The problem is, people are trying to find ways to ban these things, when people should really be trying to find was to counter these tactics to use to their advantage. The more others complain about these so called "cheap" techniques, the more they will continue to use them to their advantage. If someone really wants it to stop, they must find a way to counter it, neutralizing their tactics.
However, there is no real way to effectively neutralize this is Brawl. Please, give me an unpunishable approach method to Dedede from one of the people he can CG. Show me a way one of them can kill him without ever getting hit. You can't, because this is Brawl. Yes, Marth could CG the hell out of spacies in Melee, but Marth didn't win every tourney, because in Melee there were ways to combat that. There aren't here; you get 2 frames of punishable lag every time you land for Chrissakes. So, the easy way around this is, as opposed to banning a technique, to ban the stages that make the best use of the technique so that it's not a forgone conclusion that, if you're playing one of the CG-able characters and you lose the first match, you'll win when you CP a walkoff and choose D3.

LSDX

Wah!
However, there is no real way to effectively neutralize this is Brawl. Please, give me an unpunishable approach method to Dedede from one of the people he can CG. Show me a way one of them can kill him without ever getting hit. You can't, because this is Brawl. Yes, Marth could CG the hell out of spacies in Melee, but Marth didn't win every tourney, because in Melee there were ways to combat that. There aren't here; you get 2 frames of punishable lag every time you land for Chrissakes. So, the easy way around this is, as opposed to banning a technique, to ban the stages that make the best use of the technique so that it's not a forgone conclusion that, if you're playing one of the CG-able characters and you lose the first match, you'll win when you CP a walkoff and choose D3.
First off, you can punish a character such as Dedede in the following ways.
1. Use a character that focuses on projectile use to put pressure on the oppenent.
2. Use a character that cannot be chaingrabbed (Olimar, Sonic, etc.).
3. If your opponent uses the technique quite frequently, make sure you use plenty of spacing to make sure that you can use any techniques of your choosing (refer to tip #1).

Secondly, I was saying that all stages with a counterpick label should NEVER have walls or walkoffs for the very reason of chaingrabbing. If by instant death of the first match in any given set (best of three, five, etc.), then that must mean the tactics must be raised to outwit the chaingrabbing user.

These our just my personal thoughts on the matter, please correct me if any of the previous statements our incorrect or what-not. ^^

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If you win the match, the selection goes in this order:

1) Loser chooses stage
2) Winner chooses character
3) Loser chooses character

Thus, you won't be able to pick your character for D3, just for the level.

The issue is that there's no real way to deal with the ease of shieldgrabbing in this game, especially for characters like D3 who gain a huge advantage when they grab.

LSDX

Wah!
Even if there are walk offs, do the prior to what I mentioned. If you want to play their dirty games, also pick Dedede. If not that, then choose Ness using a Back Throw and camp the side and force the pressure on them by using your supplemented projectiles.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
This thread really is lacking intelligent conversation hope I'm not adding to the lack of it but what exactly are loops in stages? is it what jigglypuff can do in norfair?

I'm wondering if its really that bad in hanenbow because if its not as big of a problem then it should be a counter pick. It has no hazards the only thing wrong with it is that its a big stage but so is halberd at one point.

Stacey

Smash Rookie
This is probably the stupidest thing ever said in this thread. You clearly know nothing about brawl.
You cant always avoid getting hit into death hazards for random, low % death, and it distracts the from the fighting to avoid the hazards.
Moving distracts from the fighting a lot, making it more of a race or who can camp at the part near the edges to stall the match.
The big stages can be camped on, but they can also be used for simply running around to stall the match, or they have a cave of life where it takes over 300% to die, and even then you can usually tech (temple)
Warioware's powerup's are random. If both people complete the game exactly the same way, then one could get invincibility, while the other gets nothing.

No.
Just... no.
Go play a dedede on shadow moses or bridge of eldin.
I said player, not character.

If they are stalling dq them
Avoiding death hazards doesn't make you stop fighting, also every hazard is avoidable.
If you don't want your opponent to get invincibility then don't let them complete the minigame.

Oracle

Smash Master
I said player, not character.

If they are stalling dq them
Avoiding death hazards doesn't make you stop fighting, also every hazard is avoidable.
If you don't want your opponent to get invincibility then don't let them complete the minigame.
It does give the player who uses a certain character an advantage.

DQ? What?
Avoiding the hazards does not stop the fighting, but it distracts from it. Besides, they give random advantages to some players, like for example, on pictochat, an ike could hit jiggly with an fsmash at 100%, which would normally kill her, but the flames, which never kill, appear and save her. How is that fair at all?
You can't always just stop the opponent from completing the minigame. It distracts from the fighting.

This thread really is lacking intelligent conversation hope I'm not adding to the lack of it but what exactly are loops in stages? is it what jigglypuff can do in norfair?

I'm wondering if its really that bad in hanenbow because if its not as big of a problem then it should be a counter pick. It has no hazards the only thing wrong with it is that its a big stage but so is halberd at one point.
A loop is where one character can run around basically in a circle, with no chance of any other character chasing him.
ban Chaingrabs Dickheads
Well, with your great argument with lots of supportive evidence, I'm 100% convinced! Also, watch your mouth.
There's no reason to because as long as we ban the walkoffs and wall stages, there not that big of a deal.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Singles:
Battlefield Recommended: Random Starter
Final Destination Recommended: Random Starter
Lylat Cruise Recommended: Random Starter
Smashville Recommended: Random Starter
Yoshi's Island Brawl Recommended: Random Starter

Brinstar Recommended: Counterpick
Castle Siege Recommended: Counterpick
Delfino Plaza Recommended: Counterpick
Distant Planet Recommended: Counterpick
Frigate Orpheon Recommended: Counterpick
Green Greens Recommended: Counterpick
Halberd Recommended: Counterpick
Luigi's Mansion Recommended: Counterpick
Onett Recommended: Counterpick
PictoChat Recommended: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium Recommended: Counterpick
Rainbow Cruise Recommended: Counterpick
Jungle Japes: Counterpick

Mario Circuit Recommended: Counterpick Optional: Banned

Hanenbow Recommended: Banned Optional: Counterpick
Norfair Recommended: Banned Optional: Counterpick
Pirate Ship Recommended: Banned Optional: Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium 2 Recommended: Banned Optional: Counterpick
Yoshi's Island Melee Recommended: Banned Optional: Counterpick

75 m Recommended: Banned
Big Blue Recommended: Banned
Bridge of Eldin Recommended: Banned
Corneria Recommended: Banned
Flat Zone 2 Recommended: Banned
Green Hill Zone Recommended: Banned
Rumble Falls Recommended: Banned
Mario Bros. Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 Recommended: Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Recommended: Banned
New Pork City Recommended: Banned
Port Town Aero Dive Recommended: Banned
Shadow Moses Island Recommended: Banned
Skyworld Recommended: Banned
Spear Pillar Recommended: Banned
Summit Recommended: Banned
Temple Recommended: Banned
WarioWare, Inc. Recommended: Banned

My oppinions/ changes in RED

Jungel Japes: almost a neutral layout, the only problem seems to be the water/ crocs. but even hitting the crocs doesnt do to much unless at high %s, and the water actually can save you from death rather than killing you. I dont really see why the two things should be cause for ban.

Mario Curcuit: Walkoffs and car hazaards are the only problems, and while the Walkoffs could be cause for possible ban, some other stages in the counterpick section give DDD infinates (green greens) and have temp walkoffs (castle siege, Delfino) and the cars do almost no damage/ knockback.

correct me if im wrong, but im sorry for not looking back at the 100+ pages of posts to see your resonaings.
This also answers everybody else's questions about Mario Circuit: the stage is just an auto-win for chaingrabbers. It's a bit broken, simply because there are 4 places that you can chaingrab your opponent (bottom left, bottom right, top left platform, top right platform), so it's hard to avoid and the only place that you'll stay safe is on the top middle platform, which is the only platform / base platform in the entire stage that doesn't lead off to walk-off blastzones. Only problem is that you can't stay there an entire match because you're just asking to get juggled, and it's very small and you'll get hit by cars.

Stacey

Smash Rookie
It does give the player who uses a certain character an advantage.

DQ? What?
Avoiding the hazards does not stop the fighting, but it distracts from it. Besides, they give random advantages to some players, like for example, on pictochat, an ike could hit jiggly with an fsmash at 100%, which would normally kill her, but the flames, which never kill, appear and save her. How is that fair at all?
You can't always just stop the opponent from completing the minigame. It distracts from the fighting.
Stalling is banned in tournaments correct?
Thats not an advantage, the Ike was dumb neough to expect that to kill Jiggly and should have know that Jiggly would be knocked into the flames because of where they were standing at the time, its completely fair.
Distracting the fighting? You don't have to stop and do the minigames, its your choice, if you want the power up do the minigame, no distracting involved there.

Oracle

Smash Master
Stalling is banned in tournaments correct?
Thats not an advantage, the Ike was dumb neough to expect that to kill Jiggly and should have know that Jiggly would be knocked into the flames because of where they were standing at the time, its completely fair.
Distracting the fighting? You don't have to stop and do the minigames, its your choice, if you want the power up do the minigame, no distracting involved there.
Then the hazards limit ike's ability to ko, almost like a ceiling, as long as jiggly stays in a certain area. Besides, there's walls and such to contribute.
It distracts by forcing you to avoid hazards, such as giant feet and mine cars. For the "jump" one, you could get spiked into the ground and then the guy would pitfall you, setting up the spiker.

Oracle

Smash Master
If you guys are arguing about WarioWare, then whoever wants it unbanned can seriously leave this thread and go play in an actual tournament before they try to understand their flawed logic.
Nicely put, but I was using generic examples of why some stages are banned because he thinks no stages should be banned. Whatever, he won't change his mind anyways.
Frickin scrubs

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I never thought I'd see the day when someone argued to allow wario ware. next thing we know she is going to want 75m allowed.

Why exactly is hanenbow borderline banned though? I don't see whats so bad about it.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
There's no specific date yet, but the SBR is almost done with their list, so we can assume it's in the near future.
*Gasp*
i had no idea they were close to being finished.

Seriously though, it seems that we've gotten as close as we're going to get to a final list.

I think we should start talking about any changes that should be made for doubles.

How do you guys feel about walk offs in team battles?
I'm open to it, if you're being CGed, your teammate can help you out.
I do think mario circuit is too small though

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
an ike could hit jiggly with an fsmash at 100%, which would normally kill her,
O_O how does jigglypuff ever survive to 100% agains someone like Ike!?
if you got someone to that damage they should die even easier on the second hit...
pc is cp
warioware...hate it...just imagine "TAUNT" one person smacks the other away, taunts quickly then fights again, becomes in(****ing)vincible on the (inbtwn minigame) level, it's so small you cant run from them, so a huge amount of damage isdealt 2 you!
BANNED

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The camping part could happen in eldin or any walk off but I don't think it would be such a problem since both of them are really far apart you can just attack one together with your partner.

also stages with loops shouldn't be to much of a problem either because you either attack the person who isn't stalling or grab a ledge and have your partner attack him like in norfair you could just ledge hog.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
Not sure how i feel about loops, i'm not really a doubles expert.
I feel that shadow moses is still too extreme for doubles

But i like green hill zone, as it lightens the effect of the checkpoints a lot

Oracle

Smash Master
O_O how does jigglypuff ever survive to 100% agains someone like Ike!?
if you got someone to that damage they should die even easier on the second hit...
pc is cp
warioware...hate it...just imagine "TAUNT" one person smacks the other away, taunts quickly then fights again, becomes in(****ing)vincible on the (inbtwn minigame) level, it's so small you cant run from them, so a huge amount of damage isdealt 2 you!
BANNED
Hypothetical example. But still, it could be anyone.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Green Hill Zone is fine for doubles, IMO.

After some experience with a version of the stage strike system (You have two global stage bans, after which you may strike ONE random stage within the first three seconds of the match), I can't say I'm really that opposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom