• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit

Smash Ace
I like reading this thread, and then I stop because I realize it just makes me sad, because it could be a LONG time before we get another Smash Bros, if we even get another one.

Heck, we only got Brawl because Sakurai agreed to it and was able to get a great development team together, who knows if he'd be up for it again in the future (he could be busy with other stuff), and if Nintendo doesn't feel like handing it to someone else, they could just put it to rest.

Although I am interested in what might happen to the series if it was handed off to someone else. The only thing that worries me about it, is I don't think anyone else could match the amount of content Sakurai put into Brawl. All those stickers? Trophies? Modes? Classic demos? Game catalogs? Music? It's ridiculous. It's like half video-game half Nintendo encyclopedia. The overall effort put into the game was among the highest I have ever seen for any video game.

On the other hand, I would really want someone who keeps the competitive scene in mind, and makes the game more tournament friendly, while keeping the same casual appeal. Brawl almost had it, but it went wrong when it became so defensive, and when you can dodge pretty much any attack and punishing becomes more difficult. Oh, and tripping. I think if they just made things like shielding and spotdodging and airdodging more easily punished, we'd have a more frantic, intense game. Also, the game is still relatively balanced, despite our tier list showing some of the faults (poor, poor Captain Falcon :( ) A lot of the characters like Falcon though could be fixed with simple priority updates, and maybe some more random disjointed hitbox moves (utilt is not enough, and C. Falcon is easily more manly than Snake, why does Snake get the sword limbs? :[ )

Anyhow, I'm going to try and stay away from this thread before I get too excited and start anticipating something I won't get for like 6 years.

Guglio

Smash Apprentice
If we're talking rosters.....

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario

Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Vaati
Midna & Wolf Link
Young Link with Masks

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
Lucario
Hitmonchamp

Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus
Sylux

Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight

Fox
Falco
Wolf

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Ness
Lucas

Captain Falcon
Black Shadow

Marth
Ike

Yoshi

Wario

Ice Climbers

Pit

R.O.B.

Olimar

Mr. Game & Watch

Snake

Sonic

Megaman

Worm

Just for fun...

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I like reading this thread, and then I stop because I realize it just makes me sad, because it could be a LONG time before we get another Smash Bros, if we even get another one.

Heck, we only got Brawl because Sakurai agreed to it and was able to get a great development team together, who knows if he'd be up for it again in the future (he could be busy with other stuff), and if Nintendo doesn't feel like handing it to someone else, they could just put it to rest.

Although I am interested in what might happen to the series if it was handed off to someone else. The only thing that worries me about it, is I don't think anyone else could match the amount of content Sakurai put into Brawl. All those stickers? Trophies? Modes? Classic demos? Game catalogs? Music? It's ridiculous. It's like half video-game half Nintendo encyclopedia. The overall effort put into the game was among the highest I have ever seen for any video game.

On the other hand, I would really want someone who keeps the competitive scene in mind, and makes the game more tournament friendly, while keeping the same casual appeal. Brawl almost had it, but it went wrong when it became so defensive, and when you can dodge pretty much any attack and punishing becomes more difficult. Oh, and tripping. I think if they just made things like shielding and spotdodging and airdodging more easily punished, we'd have a more frantic, intense game. Also, the game is still relatively balanced, despite our tier list showing some of the faults (poor, poor Captain Falcon :( ) A lot of the characters like Falcon though could be fixed with simple priority updates, and maybe some more random disjointed hitbox moves (utilt is not enough, and C. Falcon is easily more manly than Snake, why does Snake get the sword limbs? :[ )

Anyhow, I'm going to try and stay away from this thread before I get too excited and start anticipating something I won't get for like 6 years.
It's tempting to replace Sakurai, but no matter how many feigned excuses he makes for Ridley not being in, no matter if he took Brawl in a direction some people didn't like, he's Sakurai. Smash just wouldn't be Smash without him. I mean, I'd love someone who'd put in Paper Mario, Ridley, Animal Crossing characters, etc. but it won't and shouldn't happen.

And you don't have to go away. You can get so many posts out of this thread! :bee:

And I'm a Smash Journeyman now. Yay.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Link
Midna & Wolf Link
Young Link with Masks
Do we really need 3 forms of Link? What comes next in SSB5? Revival of Toon Link and Fierce Deity Link? And then in SSB6? How about Dark Link and the 4 Four Swords Links? And while we're at it, SSB7 could use 8-Bit-Link and Island Pajama Link.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
If we're talking rosters.....

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Paper Mario

Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Vaati
Midna & Wolf Link
Young Link with Masks

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
Lucario
Hitmonchamp

Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus
Sylux

Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight

Fox
Falco
Wolf

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong

Ness
Lucas

Captain Falcon
Black Shadow

Marth
Ike
Roy

Yoshi
Boshi

Wario
Waluigi

Ice Climbers

Pit

R.O.B.

Olimar

Mr. Game & Watch

Snake

Sonic
Knuckles
Shadow

Megaman

Worm

Just for fun...
Fixed...xD

Lovely

Smash Lord
Same, well, I won't get too attached to this thread until they announce the next Smash Bros. Though I don't come to the SWF too often anymore. ♥

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
^^^^^^

yeah well...it took like 6 years for brawl to come since melee.
im guessing...or i know, that the next smash will come when the next nintendo console comes out.

Mit

Smash Ace
It's tempting to replace Sakurai, but no matter how many feigned excuses he makes for Ridley not being in, no matter if he took Brawl in a direction some people didn't like, he's Sakurai. Smash just wouldn't be Smash without him. I mean, I'd love someone who'd put in Paper Mario, Ridley, Animal Crossing characters, etc. but it won't and shouldn't happen.

And you don't have to go away. You can get so many posts out of this thread! :bee:

And I'm a Smash Journeyman now. Yay.
Oh, I'm fine with Ridley not being in it (it'd be dumb how much you have to scale him down), I also don't see the need for another form of Mario, and I agree with him on Animal Crossing characters and Miis as well, but I'm talking catering to the tournament crowd.

He can put whatever characters in the game he likes (although give me my Knuckles and Mega Man), but I just want the game to be able to stand on its own better for the hardcore fighting game scene. Melee was able to do it through a bunch of exploits, but I would rather it be done legitimately. Balance the game a bit better, allow the removal of random and unfair elements (tripping, port priority), maybe speed it up a tad, and make the game lean a little more towards offense, and less defense (they missed the sweetspot in Brawl).

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace

That's a good point. Too bad I wouldn't be able to stop anticipating a new Smash Bros. if I tried. XD

I just wish Sakurai has included the ability to add DLC. That would have helped make the wait between Brawl and Smash 4 so much more tolerable.

I'm confident that Nintendo will make a fourth Smash, though. I mean, it's a really popular series. At the very least they'll remake Brawl with more stuff. But yeah, I guess Sakurai would be the best for Smash 4, even though he sucks has no brain has some opinions that fail I think are very close-minded, and that annoys me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah but noone knows if that is Saki in that game. Could be someone else.
For all we know, it's his son so he could still appear if that's the case. Still, Saki was the original main character like Marth was the original main character for Fire Emblem. It could happen.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Oh, I'm fine with Ridley not being in it (it'd be dumb how much you have to scale him down), I also don't see the need for another form of Mario, and I agree with him on Animal Crossing characters and Miis as well, but I'm talking catering to the tournament crowd.

He can put whatever characters in the game he likes (although give me my Knuckles and Mega Man), but I just want the game to be able to stand on its own better for the hardcore fighting game scene. Melee was able to do it through a bunch of exploits, but I would rather it be done legitimately. Balance the game a bit better, allow the removal of random and unfair elements (tripping, port priority), maybe speed it up a tad, and make the game lean a little more towards offense, and less defense (they missed the sweetspot in Brawl).
I'd make an essay on why Ridley, Animal Crossing characters and Paper Mario should be in SSB4, but I'm too tired.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah he should. And it isn't because Ridley is epic...well, he is, but it isn't my reason. Metroid has been under-repped for...what...7-8 years? That's why we also need Goroh. Badly.

But anyway, despite opinions I've heard on BOTH games, I think Camus would be an entertaining Fire Emblem rep. I don't expect him to be on a HORSE or anything, but the Gradivus Lance looks like it could be fun in smash. REALLY fun. :bee:

I might even enter Camus in MYM5 now that I thought of it.

Pokemon, Mario, and LoZ are at the point where they either need to switch out reps, or add another row to the roster so they all get one. I think adding another row works better, because of one thing: Every mario rep is VERY important.

EDIT: I would prefer Darkurai over a 5th gen legendary, IMO. And on a side note, to the guy who said Rayquaza should be a pokeball pokemon.......I can see him as doing nothing more than what Onix did in 64, but with energy balls instead of boulders.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Yeah he should. And it isn't because Ridley is epic...well, he is, but it isn't my reason. Metroid has been under-repped for...what...7-8 years? That's why we also need Goroh. Badly.

But anyway, despite opinions I've heard on BOTH games, I think Camus would be an entertaining Fire Emblem rep. I don't expect him to be on a HORSE or anything, but the Gradivus Lance looks like it could be fun in smash. REALLY fun. :bee:

I might even enter Camus in MYM5 now that I thought of it.

Pokemon, Mario, and LoZ are at the point where they either need to switch out reps, or add another row to the roster so they all get one. I think adding another row works better, because of one thing: Every mario rep is VERY important.

EDIT: I would prefer Darkurai over a 5th gen legendary, IMO. And on a side note, to the guy who said Rayquaza should be a pokeball pokemon.......I can see him as doing nothing more than what Onix did in 64, but with energy balls instead of boulders.
I agree with almost all of this.

KnuxMaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
CFood0
It's Darkrai not Darkurai.

majora_787

Smash Hero
....I put a U in there? Didn't notice.
Anyway.......no tripping? I admit, even if it does add depth, it inconveniences EVERYONE....but isn't there already something that takes tripping out of Brawl?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
....I put a U in there? Didn't notice.
Anyway.......no tripping? I admit, even if it does add depth, it inconveniences EVERYONE....but isn't there already something that takes tripping out of Brawl?
Playing Melee? :bee:
And I agree that RANDOM tripping should be gone, but it's fine as an effect from trip attacks/banana peels/ice/Flat Zone oil slick etc.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Gee, Sin and Punishment was successful enough for a sequel that's also US-bound.[/Q

Yeah but noone knows if that is Saki in that game. Could be someone else.
For all we know, it's his son so he could still appear if that's the case. Still, Saki was the original main character like Marth was the original main character for Fire Emblem. It could happen.
It is his son, Issa.

Forest_Interluder

Smash Rookie
Everyone seems to be in agreement that we should have alternate characters in the next SSB. No, i dont mean alternate costumes, i mean clone characters with different attributes (some characters deserve to be more than a costume swap but less than a unique character). I've been thinking about this idea for a while now, (as have many others in this thread) but I've yet to hear a clear-cut outline as to how they would work. Someone mentioned earlier that the alternate characters should exist underneath character slots, to make the select screen less cluttered, which is pretty much my way of thinking also.

Basically my idea is that there are some 'tile spinner' character slots which can be flipped around to reveal a new character. By holding L or R on the character select screen, your hand cursor goes into a kind of 'flicking pose' and then when you press A on a character tile, it will flick it, making the tile spin around to reveal a clone of that character. Obviously there can only be a few tile spinner characters cos not everyone has a viable clone.

Clones would probably be melee-like. A few attribute and animation changes, and a unique final smash where appropriate. This means that old melee characters can return and some obscure characters can make it in as playable. I tried creating a list of alternates, making sure that every series gets 1 except for the big 3 which gets 2. I'm not sure on some of these, see what you guys think.

Mario - Dr. Mario
Peach - Daisy

Donkey Kong - Funky Kong

Fox - Krystal (wait....what? It's just my opinion but I think it can work. If in the next smash each character gets some extra specials, Fox could use the staff for 1 or 2 moves, making Krystal a possible clone. Some people will say reduce Falco or Wolf to clone status but Falco has been in two games now and Wolf made it into Brawl so many people would be upset over such a change.)

Lucas - Paula (I'm hoping that either Ness or Lucas get decloned. Whoever keeps the current moveset should have Paula as an alternate character. Ninten is more suited to an alternate costume.)

Captain Falcon - Black Shadow (He would inherit Ganondorf's old moveset so Ganondorf can get decloned. Then we can have Samurai Goroh in as well. 3 F-zero reps! yay!)

Marth - Roy (Although a clone, Roy's playstyle would be drastically different because he would do more damage and knockback near the hilt of his sword rather than at the tip, like in melee)

Samus - Dark Samus (This one is really iffy. Dark Samus is nothing like Samus but if they gave some of Samus's moves a big change in look to become more phazon-like, it's not entirely impossible)

Olimar - Louie

Link - Young Link (We are really missing a rep from the Majora's Mask timeline and Young Link could fit that spot nicely. Sakurai even said he thought having the two Links in Melee was important)
Zelda - Midna (I was hesitant about this one but I couldn't think of any others. She could be a faster/weaker version of zelda without the transformation. Imp form final smash.)

Pikachu - Pichu (A smaller, lighter, stronger Pichu that is less sucky than the melee one)
Lucario - Blaziken (lol? Dont dismiss the idea just yet. I'll admit I dont know much about Pokemon, but Lucario and Blaziken have the same body type and are both Fighting right? They could just change the blue fire to red fire and adjust some of the other moves to seem appropriate. And he could have the opposite effect to Lucario's aura, by being stronger at lower percentages. I don't know if such a thing exists in Pokemon but it would be an interesting playstyle. Plus he's a 3rd gen rep and combined with pichu, all generations of pokemon would have at least 1 rep :D)

Thats about it. To all those who took the time to read all that, thanks, and any thoughts/criticisms would be appreciated :)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Are you people serious? I would rather have tripping as something you can control.
Say someone was firin' their lasersz at you, Falco maybe. The best approach would be to randomly trip and fall on your face so you could get close enough Snake ftilt your away to victory. Add a new button on the new controller for the new console they'll make so they can force us to buy the new game that enables tripping at will.

But that's just one tiger's opinion...

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
My comments are in blue. Cause blue is my favourite color to comment in.

Mario - Dr. Mario Sounds fine.
Peach - Daisy No... I mean, alt. color with different voice actor is fine, but I honestly don't see her being implement as actual character... she has NOTHING to drive from unlike Peach.
Donkey Kong - Funky Kong Eh, I dunno... Maybe it's cause I'm not too fond of Funky, but I think it's fine as it is.
Fox - Krystal I honestly can't see Krystal with Fox' moveset. If anyone, then maybe Zamus. But Krystal doesn't seem like a fighter at all, if you ask me. She's more the type of, y'know, seducing people and having sex with them. Besides, Star Fox is overrepresented way too much.
Lucas - Paula If you call Lucas a clone of Ness, then Wolf, Luigi and Meta Knight are, according to you, clones. Mother, though, as much as I love the series, doesn't need another character.
Captain Falcon - Black Shadow Sounds fine to me, though I would prefer other characters over BS. Hell, his initials already say what he is.
Marth - Roy I dunno why everyone insists on Roy coming back... It was even officially stated that he was in there for advertisment purposes, so I was expecting him to get the boot first out of all characters.
Samus - Dark Samus I dunno, Dark Samus doesn't really do anything Samus does... she's like a completely different character.
Olimar - Louie Uhm... no, that's just downright bad, imo. Louie would have totally no difference to Olimar, and the series is represented fine with one character.
Link - Young Link Cool, so in Smash 4 we have Link, Toon Link and Young Link, huh? And wait... what? The "Majora's Mask timeline" needs representation? You DO know that the MM-timeline is continued with the Toon-subseries, right? Let's add Wolf Link for ****s and giggles, then we can put in Fierce Deity Link, Dark Link and the 4 Four Swords Links into SSB5! YAY! Maybe in SSB6 we can have CD-i Link and 8Bit-Link.
Zelda - Midna No. Midna is a bad choice. Not only is she a bad character choice overall - considering she only is popular because of she's important in the most recent game and her real form is "hot". I doubt she will return in such a major role again.
Pikachu - Pichu No. That's downright wrong.
Lucario - Blaziken Mewtwo plz.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Huh, it's an interesting idea. Let's see what I can think of:

Mario- Dr. Mario
Luigi- Mr. L
Peach- Rosalina
Bowser- SPOILERS FOR MARIO AND LUIGI RPG 3
Dark Bowser[/S]
Donkey Kong- Funky Kong
Diddy Kong- Dixie Kong
Yoshi- Boshi
Wario- Waluigi
Link- Dark Link
Zelda- Impa
Ganondorf- Ganon
Toon Link- Young Link
Samus- Dark Samus
Pit- Balloon Fighter
Ice Climbers- Mario and Luigi
ROB- SSE ROB Enemy
Kirby- Waddle Dee
Meta Knight- Sword Knight
King Dedede- Masked Dedede
Olimar- Louie
Fox- James McCloud
Falco- Peppy
Wolf- Pigma
Captain Falcon- Samurai Goroh
Pikachu- Raichu
Pokemon Trainer- Female Pokemon Trainer
Lucario- Mewtwo
Jigglypuff- Wigglytuff
Marth- Sheeda
Ike- Black Knight
Ness- Paula
Lucas- Kumatora
Mr. Game and Watch- Mrs. Game and Watch
Snake- Liquid
Sonic- Shadow

So it's possible with all the characters. The problem is that a bunch of them seem awkward(Kirby/Waddle Dee :psycho:).

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Dry Bowser instead of the Mario RPG one

Wait... am I reading this right...? Pigma? PIGMA? Why not use Leon or Panther? You could even apply them over Peppy, too. <_<

Meta Knight's should be Galactic Knight imo, and Gooey instead of Waddle Dee.

How bout Baby Mario Bros. instead of ICs?

The rest is decent or has already been adressed in my former posting.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Dry Bowser instead of the Mario RPG one

Wait... am I reading this right...? Pigma? PIGMA? Why not use Leon or Panther? You could even apply them over Peppy, too. <_<

Meta Knight's should be Galactic Knight imo, and Gooey instead of Waddle Dee.

How bout Baby Mario Bros. instead of ICs?

The rest is decent or has already been adressed in my former posting.
How did I not think of Dry Bowser?

Fair enough, I haven't really played Star Fox.

Okay.

Babies? I guess they're closer to ICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom