• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Sure, the disjointed hitboxes wouldn't be unique, but that hasn't stopped the rest of the swords users from popping up. A lot of characters have projectiles. Death to projectiles!
I'm just saying that saying "She has a staff which means she would have a VERY original moveset" is stupid. No character in the game has nearly all of their attacks as projectiles, you can't compare them.

In fact, though, Mewtwo was cut last minute. He has a character folder (so he was supposed to be in), and - that's what I'm basing that last minute off - there's a dummy file in the character selection sound files for the Wiimote. It has the appendix _mewtwo, but it's still there, albeit being an empty file.

Now, what my assumption is for Mewtwo's case is, that they were in the process of actually refining his moveset, or even only developing it. Since Brawl was already delayed once, they decided to scrap him instead of delaying the game again, and therefore Mewtwo landed in the hall of the scrapped characters.
So the chances of Mewtwo's return aren't equally 0, but rather high.

As for Megaman, Kenji Inafune, the creator of him, has stated that he would actually like the idea of seeing Megaman in Smash - Nintendo would just need to give him a ring, so to say. And knowing Capcom, they sure wouldn't deny.

Geno, albeit I dislike him, is actually another viable candidate for a Smash 4, but you better go a few pages before this where the reasoning for Geno to be in Brawl was posted, since I can't recall everything from scratch.
He wasn't cut at the last minute, if he was he would actually have some character data, I'm pretty sure his folder is empty. He was probably cut a few months after development started.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm fairly sure that Mewtwo had more than the rest of the Forbidden Seven. Like, didn't he have a Classic Mode image or victory theme or something?
Yes, he had both of those. Did the files actually exist though, who knows.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
He wasn't cut at the last minute, if he was he would actually have some character data, I'm pretty sure his folder is empty. He was probably cut a few months after development started.
Isn't it possible that actual data was removed from those files before release so they weren't in some way accessible in-game or something? No friggin' idea, myself.

But that being said, why not just remove the whole folder?

Yes, he had both of those. Did the files actually exist though, who knows.
Is there screenshots or.. proof or anything? And if there are, are the screenshots legit-looking, and by someone with some credit?

towelie892

Smash Cadet
Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I'd like the following to be in SSB4, among other things:

~new characters (especially from Metroid)
~removal of Sonic/no new 3rd party characters
~voice chat
~friending people in With Anyone mode
~a whole new adventure mode (like SSE, but new story, levels, etc.)
~replays should be saved as MPEGs/snapshots as JPEGs
~ability to transfer a name's stats to a new name
~Meta Knight should be seriously nerfed

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'm a Lucario main, but I would love to see Mewtwo back. He's totally the absolute most popular legendary and always will be. He has 2.5 movies and was the end-game of the first installment of Pokemon games!

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I'd like the following to be in SSB4, among other things:

~new characters (especially from Metroid)
~removal of Sonic/no new 3rd party characters
~voice chat
~friending people in With Anyone mode
~a whole new adventure mode (like SSE, but new story, levels, etc.)
~replays should be saved as MPEGs/snapshots as JPEGs
~ability to transfer a name's stats to a new name
~Meta Knight should be seriously nerfed
I can't see many eligible characters (in terms of importance to the series and fan appeal) from Metroid other than Ridley, and without attempting to rekindle the size issue, I doubt his chances.

I don't see why they would feel the need to remove Sonic. He just needs to be buffed and changed. Too many rolling attacks get boring really fast. There really is no other way of stating this, but having Sonic participate in Smash is a privilege.

I'm with you on voice chat. I'd love to trash talk opponent during a match. And the friending issue, I hope Nintendo clears up the Friend Code business to avoid all this crap.

As for the story mode, I was disappointed in it when it's the same writer from FFX and Kingdom Hearts. I wish they actually used more properties from the original games than new content like Sub Space monsters over Dekus, Waddle Dees, etc.

Mewtwo is epic-- I was disappointed he didn't return. >:

His F-Air, Air Dodge, Teleport, and N-Air were gross. He just needed better specials than Confusion and Disable.

Beefed up replacements for those are a nice Barrier (that pushes people out while reflecting projectiles) and Future Sight (like Snake's C4s, but stuns). I'd fap to death if they changed him up and gave him his armored form as well that changes the way he plays. Like a much heavier Mewtwo with lessened power, able to take more hits and the normal Mewtwo that is a lot lighter but more powerful and is changeable if Barrier is held too long during the match or something like that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So how comes that Mewtwo has, unlike all other cut characters, a Classic Mode picture, a Wiimote soundfile (which is empty), was listed - only together with Roy - among the list of victory themes and a character folder himself?
Since all other Forbidden 7 don't have these traits, I'm assuming Mewtwo was the last character who was cut, and it must have been pretty soon before release. The second-last was most likely Roy.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
So how comes that Mewtwo has, unlike all other cut characters, a Classic Mode picture, a Wiimote soundfile (which is empty), was listed - only together with Roy - among the list of victory themes and a character folder himself?
Since all other Forbidden 7 don't have these traits, I'm assuming Mewtwo was the last character who was cut, and it must have been pretty soon before release. The second-last was most likely Roy.
Last cut out? Sure. Cut out at the last minute? No way. You're acting like Classic mode pictures and Wii remote soundfiles are the biggest part of a character.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Last cut out? Sure. Cut out at the last minute? No way. You're acting like Classic mode pictures and Wii remote soundfiles are the biggest part of a character.
Of course it isn't, but deleting the files of a character and replacing him with e.g. a random tile is actually not that hard to do.
And those dummy files pretty much look like the developers have forgotten about them.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I don't think a TCG would be a good idea in the long run. Remember, they would have to include ALL of Nintendo's history and they would have to be creative in what each card does.

However, I would be fine with replacing the stickers with cards.

DURO! MONSUTAA CAADO!

Even Nintendo doesn't include ALL of Nintendo's history. They wouldn't have to and it still could be a really engaging game.

i actually did a tcg based on smash like 3 years ago:laugh:
Same for me. I still have the text files of my TCG rules and all the changes and additions I came up to make it as fluid, fun, and similar to Smash Bros. as I could. Mine works on two very distinct elements.

1 - Characters are pretty much decks. (Mario Deck, Luigi Deck, Kirby Deck, etc.) Now to avoid the stress of having to collect tons and tons of cards just to put together a remotely decent character deck, there are plenty of "Global" cards that can fit in all character cards. You would need at least 1 card to make a deck (called the Starter Melee card), and you can't include cards belonging to other characters, but there would be plenty of globals to make things easier.

2 - There are actually TWO decks in my game: The "Melee Deck" and the "Supply Deck".

The Melee Deck is the important deck and has all the means to successfully combat the opponent. Each card is broken up into subsets:

Starter Card - The one card all Melee Decks need. Defines the type of deck it is and is pulled out of the deck from the start of the game. Provides the stats of the character such as Weight, Jump, Speed, and PP (Power Points).

Ground Card - A basic Melee card. The higher the character's Speed, the more Ground Cards can be played in a single turn. Attacks from these cards might cost PP to use, but those replenish at the start of your next turn.

Air Cards - Tend to be better than Ground Cards, but less varied as well. The higher the character's Jump, the more Air Cards can be played.

Throw Cards - Tend to be pretty inexpensive and easy to use, but often don't do well to KO or inflict great damage. More of a "setup" kind of card

SMASH Cards - The power-players of the deck, these tend to be pretty PP heavy but are also the best means to score that finishing blow and win stocks.

Special Cards - The tricksters of the deck, these cards are more reliant on special effects that can turn things around for players when used properly.

Global Cards - Not necessarily a subset, but these relatively fit into any kind of deck so players have an easier time building a good deck.

Taunt Cards - a recent addition I came up with, they're basically Supply Cards that go into the Melee Deck and support the player. A prime example: Captain Falcon gets a card called "Show Me Your Moves!" and the opponent shows his hand. =P

The nice thing about how these cards are made is that I've avoided limited creativity by how I choose to create a card. Let's say I want to do something with Falco's Neutral B - his blaster. I don't just need to have a card called "Falco: Blaster". All Melee Cards are sub-named meaning all of Falco's cards are sub-named "Falco Melee Card". The actual name of the card though can be just about anything:

Falco's Blaster
Blaster Barrage
Blaster Combo
Falco's Stun Shot

Now the "Supply Deck" consists of various beneficial cards to further boost a player's chances of winning. These are as followed:

Item Cards - They're broken up into three subsets: Basic Items, Throwing Items, and Equip Items. Pretty self-explanatory. Items can be used during your turn OR by "containing" an item (playing face-down) can be used during an opponent's turn. (Yes, containing as in "Container" ;D)

Trophy Cards - Used only during your turn, they have various effects of a usually wide range. Can either be used once then discarded or set for multiple turns.

Event Cards - Cards that specifically support Melee Cards directly, attaching to them and improving their usefulness.

Now how it's generally played....

Each turn you can choose to draw from one deck or the other, depending on whether you need to bolster your fighting techniques or improve your overall situation.

The actual method of winning was devised to work extremely similar to an actual game of Smash. All characters have weights, and Melee cards are used to inflict damage. A special "Stage Card" provides the Stage Limit, which was a means to define when a character gets KOed, along with the strength of each attack.

Basically if a stage says "Stage limit is 15", and a character has taken 150% damage and has a weight of 5, you would just divide 150% by 10 (It's 15) and subtract the weight (Now it's 10), then compare those numbers (10 < 15). Attacks had strengths though, and those counteract character weights (10 + Strength). So if an attack with a strength of 6 sent a character's damage to 154%, and that character's weight was 5, it would look like this....

Damage = 154%
154% = 15 (heck no there ain't any decimals or rounding up)
Weight = 5
15 - 5 = 10
Strength = 6
10 + 6 = 16
16 > 15 (Since the attack result went over the stage limit, a KO was declared)

It looks complicated on paper, but it's actually pretty darn easy if basic math doesn't scare you.

Finally, scoring a KO doesn't instantly mean end of the game. In my game, the minimum Melee deck size is FIVE. When a character gets KOed, a "Stock" is lost. The players can decide for themselves the amount of stocks, and whoever loses all of their stocks loses. At the end of any turn if a player runs out of cards in their Melee Deck, that player is considered to have performed a "Self-Destruct" and loses a stock. (You can run out of Support Cards though without losing)

I haven't worked on the game in a long time.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
There is Midna. Midna inb4 Vaati.[/QUOTE]

Midna for sure, and a non-clone Ganondorf.

I can't see many eligible characters (in terms of importance to the series and fan appeal) from Metroid other than Ridley, and without attempting to rekindle the size issue, I doubt his chances.

I don't see why they would feel the need to remove Sonic. He just needs to be buffed and changed. Too many rolling attacks get boring really fast. There really is no other way of stating this, but having Sonic participate in Smash is a privilege.

I'm with you on voice chat. I'd love to trash talk opponent during a match. And the friending issue, I hope Nintendo clears up the Friend Code business to avoid all this crap.

As for the story mode, I was disappointed in it when it's the same writer from FFX and Kingdom Hearts. I wish they actually used more properties from the original games than new content like Sub Space monsters over Dekus, Waddle Dees, etc.

Mewtwo is epic-- I was disappointed he didn't return. >:

His F-Air, Air Dodge, Teleport, and N-Air were gross. He just needed better specials than Confusion and Disable.

Beefed up replacements for those are a nice Barrier (that pushes people out while reflecting projectiles) and Future Sight (like Snake's C4s, but stuns). I'd fap to death if they changed him up and gave him his armored form as well that changes the way he plays. Like a much heavier Mewtwo with lessened power, able to take more hits and the normal Mewtwo that is a lot lighter but more powerful and is changeable if Barrier is held too long during the match or something like that.

Dark Samus has been rising in popularity as of late, along with the MP series finally catching on in Japan. There is no size issue with Dark Samus, just the issue that Sakurai would screw it up and make she/it a clone. Which it wouldn't be, done correctly.

Yeah, Sonics specials could've been a little more varied. I like Sonic, but he could be stronger...

Like Halo? sweet. too bad I don't have a connection where I live :( I can't say anything about the "Friend code" thing cause of that...

Yeah, some voice acting or subtitles wouldn't have hurt either...

As a Mewtwo mainer, I was crushed...

You forgot the throws... and his smashes weren't too bad either, just too situational...

Good ideas... interesting ideas concerning the armor... wait... what do you mean when you say changable if Barrier is held for too long? And would it do damage?...

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Sonic could have been done a lot better. Before Brawl's announcement, here's how I pictured Sonic's specials:
Down+B: Spin Dash: Exactly the same as it is now.
B: Water Barrier: In the air, come crashing down and then bounce back up a little. More height = stronger. On the ground, charge to spring into the air. Gives SA for Freeze/Water.
Side+B: Fire Barrier: Shoot forward on fire. Acts as recovery. Like Kirby's Fireball ability. Can home in on opponent, too. Gives SA for Fire/Explosion.
Up+B: Zap Barrier: Shoot up with 4 short-range projectiles emerging from the diagonals. Uses recovery. Gives SA for Electric. Drags items in, too.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I like the Spring and the Spin Dash, but agree with the rest of the moveset, though. It's all not that Sonic-like, and horribly lacks Blue Tornado.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Although I'm all for you with the lightning shield from Sonic 3. That would be so cool in Brawl.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
they should mak dr mario a costum for mario but he has the pills and stuff. also bring back roy-idk why they took him out i dont play his games did he like died in the game of something? and i know its to late now but i think they should have made the ice climbers in into two differnt charaters like them have differnt moves so we can get more ppl in SSB. i didnrt care much for mewtwo, think MEW even would have been a better pick the this new guy:lucario: his gay. i hope o see some more Yoish,capit falcon, and samas ppl in the the next game, there dieding for a nex charater

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
they should mak dr mario a costum for mario but he has the pills and stuff. also bring back roy-idk why they took him out i dont play his games did he like died in the game of something? and i know its to late now but i think they should have made the ice climbers in into two differnt charaters like them have differnt moves so we can get more ppl in SSB. i didnrt care much for mewtwo, think MEW even would have been a better pick the this new guy:lucario: his gay. i hope o see some more Yoish,capit falcon, and samas ppl in the the next game, there dieding for a nex charater
What the heck is that post? Can someone translate?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What the heck is that post? Can someone translate?
Yeah, the English language cried upon reading this post...

"they should mak dr mario a costum for mario but he has the pills and stuff. also bring back roy-idk why they took him out i dont play his games did he like died in the game of something? and i know its to late now but i think they should have made the ice climbers in into two differnt charaters like them have differnt moves so we can get more ppl in SSB. i didnrt care much for mewtwo, think MEW even would have been a better pick the this new guy his gay. i hope o see some more Yoish,capit falcon, and samas ppl in the the next game, there dieding for a nex charater"

I'll translate...

They should make Dr. Mario a costume for Mario but he should be able to use Dr. Mario's old attacks (like the pills) when he switches to it. They should also bring back Roy. I don't know why they took him out. I've never played any of the games in the Fire Emblem series before but did he die in one of the games? I have the utmost concern for this fictional character's safety. The Ice Climbers should be made into two seperate character and be given different movesets (... WTF? Why?) so that more characters can be added. (This is what we call "internet logic..."). I never cared too much for Mewtwo and personally believe that Mew would make a much better character. I also believe that Lucario is a homo-sexual and, in the privacy of his own home, ribbon dances to the song "Dancing Queen" while wearing a purple leotard embroideled with rainbows patches. I would also like to see the Yoshi, F-Zero, and Metroid franchises get more characters in the next game as well. They all definately deserve more additions."

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
This is going straight into my sig.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
shadowball2 said:
Midna for sure, and a non-clone Ganondorf.
I just think she is the most eligible candidate from the Zelda series.
1. She was the star of Twilight Princess, hence the subtitle featuring her title.
2. Displayed more than enough prowess and ability to draw a move set from.
3. Link's most helpful, and strongest sidekick. LISTENNNNN!

Teleportation through a Twili Gate in the center of the stage. Twilight magic projectiles, hairy hand, use of that big helmet. Possible transition between both forms. Fused shadows. Hoovering. Floating. I can go on. She'd be more unique than a Link clone.

Dark Samus has been rising in popularity as of late, along with the MP series finally catching on in Japan. There is no size issue with Dark Samus, just the issue that Sakurai would screw it up and make she/it a clone. Which it wouldn't be, done correctly.
It can actually have a freezing Phazon shot that would be nice, but the thing is, she is just another dead antagonist in the Metroid series. Why that over the other things Samus has slayed? Only eligible candidate for that position would be Ridley, but like I stated before, I think he's too big.

But Dark Samus is too close in appearance to Samus, I can see it being a color swap for Samus. But an entire different entity is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, Sonics specials could've been a little more varied. I like Sonic, but he could be stronger...
I was hoping they change his B to his Charge Ball instead of homing, and put his Down Special as his Flame Bounce, and get rid of the Homing Attack. He has potential to have way better moves than what they gave him.

Good ideas... interesting ideas concerning the armor... wait... what do you mean when you say changable if Barrier is held for too long? And would it do damage?...
Something like if Barrier is held too long, like Ike's Erpuption, it would do damage to Ike, but instead of hurting Mewtwo, the longer Barrier is held, the more it expands, pushing people away while reflecting projectiles, but...

If held too long, it explodes, breaking his armor off-- a'la Zero Suit Samus. I'm thinking he'd be vulnerable during the transition between both.

Spadefox said:
[argument against Ridley]But it's too big![/argument against Ridley]
HEY MAN! I'm charging my lasers.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the English language cried upon reading this post...

"they should mak dr mario a costum for mario but he has the pills and stuff. also bring back roy-idk why they took him out i dont play his games did he like died in the game of something? and i know its to late now but i think they should have made the ice climbers in into two differnt charaters like them have differnt moves so we can get more ppl in SSB. i didnrt care much for mewtwo, think MEW even would have been a better pick the this new guy his gay. i hope o see some more Yoish,capit falcon, and samas ppl in the the next game, there dieding for a nex charater"

I'll translate...

They should make Dr. Mario a costume for Mario but he should be able to use Dr. Mario's old attacks (like the pills) when he switches to it. They should also bring back Roy. I don't know why they took him out. I've never played any of the games in the Fire Emblem series before but did he die in one of the games? I have the utmost concern for this fictional character's safety. The Ice Climbers should be made into two seperate character and be given different movesets (... WTF? Why?) so that more characters can be added. (This is what we call "internet logic..."). I never cared too much for Mewtwo and personally believe that Mew would make a much better character. I also believe that Lucario is a homo-sexual and, in the privacy of his own home, ribbon dances to the song "Dancing Queen" while wearing a purple leotard embroideled with rainbows patches. I would also like to see the Yoshi, F-Zero, and Metroid franchises get more characters in the next game as well. They all definately deserve more additions."
thanks thats wat i meant i cant spell for **** and i need special help

trev94

Smash Journeyman
You know what would be cool? If they put every playable character from Nintendo and Sega.

That would be amazing.
hell no shut the **** i dont want any more sega characters in this game if they had to put in a thrid party character it should be bangokizowe at lest he had a nintendo game

towelie892

Smash Cadet
hell no shut the **** i dont want any more sega characters in this game
Despite the fact that you probably could not have said that in a worse way, I agree; I really don't like the Sega characters. Snake I can live with, but I'd really rather Sonic go away. His games have become embarrassing as of late.

aleman1100

Smash Rookie
Newcomers:

Males:

-Bowser Jr.
- Mewtwo

Females:

- Dixie Kong
- Krystal

Third party:

-Knuckles
- Raiden (MGS4)
- Megaman/X

Old ones:

- Little Samson
- Firebrand

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
However. That would bring a lot of SEGA-only characters, which equals to boring.

Also, 50% of Sega's characters are Sonic characters. Mind you.

What would be fair is that only one character to represent a company, for example:

Sonic = Sega

Snake = Konami

Megaman = Capcom

Bomberman = Hudson

Etc. Unless Sega joins Nintendo or something.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Also, 50% of Sega's characters are Sonic characters. Mind you.
Well, that's only because the other Sega-games aren't that well known or have not as much characters. It's true that every new Sonic game introduced a new character. The cast is just HUGE in comparison to other Sega franchises (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, etc.)

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
And also, I don't get what's all the fuzz with Sega. Just because of Sonic? (Deny that Sonic is the reason why Sega is still here and well.. that would make a nice oppinion on you).

The deal is with other new characters, and it would be better if only one third-party character would represent it's own company.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Wrong.

Although Sonic sure is one of Sega's money cows, it definitely isn't the only reason for it to be still around.
Sega doesn't have too many franchises, but a lot of one-hit-shots, though. And those which are franchises - except Sonic - are actually rather odd gaming concepts (if they're from the Saturn era and later).

So, the less known but still (more or less) famous Sega franchises next to Sonic would be Alex Kidd, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star (Online), Panzer Dragoon, Out Run, Streets of Rage, Puyo, Shenmue, Shining, Ecco, Columns, Samba de Amigo, Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5.

Less famous but still known games include: Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles, Ristar, Daytona USA and Space Fantasy Zone. And not to mention they developed F-Zero GX. :B

Anyway. Look at those name. Now, think. Which of these franchises provide a character who could get a viable moveset?

Sonic, Alex Kidd, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star, Panzer Dragoon, Streets of Rage, Shining, Space Channel 5, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles and Ristar.

Now, let's cross out those series which are too old or unknown or unrepresentative...

Sonic, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5

So, which character could rep Golden Axe? I can only imagine Gilius who has appeared in more than one game. Other than that, noone.
As for NiGHTS, there's NiGHTS itself and its rival Reala who would make sense.
Space Channel 5 only got Ulala.

That, all in all, makes 4 characters outside of the Sonic franchise who I could think would make at least a little sense in Smash.
So, I guess we're bound to see more Sonic or one of those 4. IF Sega gives out another rep for them, AND Sonic stays in.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I liked Chu Chu Rocket >.> It had a remake on GBA, and has been repped in many other SEGA games.

What about Billy Hatcher? Wasn't that Sega?

Also: Ristar is amazing.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah. Forgot about Billy Hatcher. And Shinobi. Sorry. That was just some rough list. But neither of them is known too well to provide a character for Smash.

Chu Chu Rocket was pretty sweet, but come on... how would you make that a Smash character?

Also, yes. Ristar is one of Sega's best games. Like, ever.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Sonic did most of the job.

Still, let's keep the only one third-party character to one third-party company representing thing like it. It will be easier, and better.

Unless you want to put NiGHTS while Sonic is in, and take out Megaman, who IMO would be a better addon than NiGHTS. (Don't bring another Sonic character, it is a much horrible idea than bringing NiGHTS while Sonic may come back).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom