• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This: don't like it. Simon started out as a beefy barbarian, then turned into a more effeminate guy with a feathery half-jacket...but now...I mean...80% of that outfit is made of belts.

That: Uh, yeah...let's just all pretend that never happened, 'kay?

You kinda, sorta, not really said one design is better.
As far as Castlevania's concerned, yes: Kojima's miles beyond ol' Takeshi. His style has it's place, but Castlevania's not the most "intelligent, mind-bending, philosophical" series...which is the air his designs emanate.

I
HATE
YOU
SO
MUCH
RIGHT
NOW

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I made a dam post, but I exited the friken window.

So....
PROFESSOR
E.
GADD
FOR
SUPER
SMASH
BROTHERS
FOUR.

@Kuma, I want my Mello in.
Mmmmm...Mello.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
In the end, no matter what characters are in, out, or taken out, SSB4 will be the awesomeness just because it's Smash. Agreed? I hate Sonic characters, but if they put Tails in it, it would not stop me from buying the game. A person can dream, and another can have a nightmare.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
In the end, no matter what characters are in, out, or taken out, SSB4 will be the awesomeness just because it's Smash.
If you care about having fun...

...which at least one person in this thread has admitted to not doing *coughtediuscough*.

EDIT: @Darkwashu -
HE WAS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE PLOT OF TWO MAIN MARIO GAMES

mhkmhk

Smash Cadet
Here is what I want to see:
3. Alternate characters.
This would solve the issue of clones and it would also let other characters be playable. Basically, these characters exist underneath other characters. These alternate characters have their own name and voice. Now, we no longer have only pallet swaps.
Like:
Luigi - mr L.
Peach - Daisy & Roselia
Bowser - skeleton Bowser
Sonic - Shadow
Marth - Roy
Samus - Dark Samus
Olimar - Louie
Link - Fierce link
Mr. Game & Watch - Mrs. Game & watch xD (with a cute pink bow^^)
Yoshi - Boshi (or whatever)
Pika - Pichu
R.O.B - Bob XD
Diddy Kong - Dixie Kong
++

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see gengar, balloon fighter, and bowser jr

i hope they dont add any other third party characters

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Like:
Luigi - mr L.
Peach - Daisy & Roselia
Bowser - skeleton Bowser
Sonic - Shadow
Marth - Roy
Samus - Dark Samus
Olimar - Louie
Link - Fierce link
Mr. Game & Watch - Mrs. Game & watch xD (with a cute pink bow^^)
Yoshi - Boshi (or whatever)
Pika - Pichu
R.O.B - Bob XD
Diddy Kong - Dixie Kong
++

Skeleton Bowser = Dry Bowser, for the record. :)

Crap. Double post.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Characters ARE Smash Brothers. If you take out the characters and replace them with generic polygons, I'd leave the franchise in an instant as I'm sure most people would. If you take out any of dedede, diddy, wario, meta knight, snake or sonic the game would be horrendously worse. Those six characters pretty much make the game, being the only REALLY good addittions. There aren't that many left for SSB4, but we at least need Ridley, K. Rool and Megaman, the only real options we have left for iconic characters like that. If those three don't get in, I'm going to be more excited about the changes to the past characters then the new characters.

The whole point of the give is fighting with your favorite characters. It very much so matters. Everything else is a side dish, besides the game's multiplayer value, which we've had ever since SSB64.

I'd rather have SSB64 with 60 characters then SSB4 with 50 characters.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Characters ARE Smash Brothers. If you take out the characters and replace them with generic polygons, I'd leave the franchise in an instant as I'm sure most people would. If you take out any of dedede, diddy, wario, meta knight, snake or sonic the game would be horrendously worse. Those six characters pretty much make the game, being the only REALLY good addittions. There aren't that many left for SSB4, but we at least need Ridley, K. Rool and Megaman, the only real options we have left for iconic characters like that. If those three don't get in, I'm going to be more excited about the changes to the past characters then the new characters.

The whole point of the give is fighting with your favorite characters. It very much so matters. Everything else is a side dish, besides the game's multiplayer value, which we've had ever since SSB64.

Who brought up replacing the characters with polygons? *prepares bazooka*

U ONLY LIEK TOP TIRE CHARACTERS

Hey, those aren't the only iconic video game characters left. By the way, I don't really understand your last sentence. Quantity over...?

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Who brought up replacing the characters with polygons? *prepares bazooka*

U ONLY LIEK TOP TIRE CHARACTERS

Hey, those aren't the only iconic video game characters left. By the way, I don't really understand your last sentence. Quantity over...?
SONIC IS NOT TOP TIRE

And, who would you consider character that need to be added, Warlord?

Spire

III
BRoomer

If you took out Dedede, Diddy, Wario, Meta Knight, Snake or Sonic, the game would feel a bit more empty, but not worse. Now that we are so used to them being in the game, it would feel odd having them non-inclusive in the next title. Honestly, what's better or worse is merely opinionated. If you took out Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Falco, ROB, or Ganondorf, the game would be worse in my opinion. Yes, those are my preferred characters, but if they were removed, YOU would not think the game to be any worse.

But, what's truly bad for the game? Is it the removal of the supposed 'uniquely-played characters', or the best known and beloved characters like Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link? Because truthfully, all of the characters are very genuine and play so very differently from one another (sans a few similar characters). Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy (and Young Link to some extent) were cut because they weren't genuine, so the series really didn't lose anything, especially with the addition of better and more unique characters in Brawl.

As for "there aren't that many [characters] left for SSB4." Sure there are. There are TONS of characters left for SSB4, Nintendo characters aside. At this point, if you added any more Nintendo characters (sans a few like the most commonly mentioned - K. Rool, Ridley, and the like) it would just feel overly-gimmicky. Who really cares about Lip? She had what, one, maybe two games in Japan only? For the record, Brawl had no Japan-exclusive characters (except Marth to some degree, but his franchise is now well known in America) so why should we expect more in SSB4?

Here's the solution to adding more new and genuine characters to Smash Bros - go for 2nd and 3rd party characters. Is it a bad idea? NO! Smash Bros has dropped its "Nintendo All-Star" concept at the doorstep with Brawl's induction into the series. Yeah, Sonic is close to Nintendo, but is Snake really that close to Nintendo? Not really. And don't try and counter that with, "well he debuted on the NES and had a GCN appearance," because he's still pretty distant from Nintendo. So, who to choose for SSB4?

Well firstly, I believe that 2nd and 3rd party characters exclusive or mostly exclusive to Nintendo consoles should be first priority, unless its classic heroes like Bomberman and Mega Man. What other iconic, timeless heroes could make appearances? Earthworm Jim, Rayman, or even [and this is pushing it a bit] Lara Croft. Those are just a few big names though. What about lesser-known characters like Katia from Lost Kingdoms (for the record, she was on Sakurai's poll for possible Brawl characters), or Pax from the upcoming Mushroom Men? Perhaps even Blob of De Blob could somehow sneak his way in. The point is, Brawl closed the door on Nintendo All-Stars and opened it to second and third party characters with the inclusion of Snake and Sonic. You cannot deny that, and it's pretty obvious that's the direction that Smash Bros is headed in.

Thank you for your time,
Spire

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Before I go into Spire's post, I should clear up what I said there. It's not that I LIKE those characters, it's that they were by far the most appealing characters in terms of their character, not their movesets. Sonic and Snake are 3rd party, while the other four are extremely deserving. Of course it'd be worse if Mario, Link, Ganondorf or Bowser were removed. Falco and ROB, not so much.

By SSB64 with 60 characters over SSB4 with 50, I mean I'd rather have 10 characters then all those extra modes, including online, considering how crappy it is. The characters and multiplayer are what make Smash. All the rest is extra unneccessary fluff (Although SSE and Online have potetional, they ultimately failed in this game.).

There are enough characters to add for a SSB4 without going overboard on some of the ridiculous 3rd parties you mentioned, Spire, but you have to draw from, as you said, 2nd parties. You must represent games with no character. Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Advanced Wars, Legend of Stafy, Animal Crossing, Captain Rainbow and Paper Mario are the most viable choices. That leaves around 7 or 8 slots for characters from existing series, which can be filled up decently well.

The only reason I went off on this in the first place is Heartz saying "Oh, it doesn't matter who gets in, we'll all enjoy SSB4!". Ridley, K. Rool, and Megaman are MANDATORY. Other not so required but likely and deserving characters include the 5th gen rep, black shadow, the new FE lord and -possibly- Mewtwo if Sakurai counts Pokemon Trainer as one character slot.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh and one more thing to note - diversity. If it's diversity you all want in the roster, then diversify the represented game series, not just the characters.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Before I go into Spire's post, I should clear up what I said there. It's not that I LIKE those characters, it's that they were by far the most appealing characters in terms of their character, not their movesets. Sonic and Snake are 3rd party, while the other four are extremely deserving. Of course it'd be worse if Mario, Link, Ganondorf or Bowser were removed. Falco and ROB, not so much.

By SSB64 with 60 characters over SSB4 with 50, I mean I'd rather have 10 characters then all those extra modes, including online, considering how crappy it is. The characters and multiplayer are what make Smash. All the rest is extra unneccessary fluff (Although SSE and Online have potetional, they ultimately failed in this game.).

There are enough characters to add for a SSB4 without going overboard on some of the ridiculous 3rd parties you mentioned, Spire, but you have to draw from, as you said, 2nd parties. You must represent games with no character. Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Advanced Wars, Legend of Stafy, Animal Crossing, Captain Rainbow and Paper Mario are the most viable choices. That leaves around 7 or 8 slots for characters from existing series, which can be filled up decently well.

The only reason I went off on this in the first place is Heartz saying "Oh, it doesn't matter who gets in, we'll all enjoy SSB4!". Ridley, K. Rool, and Megaman are MANDATORY. Other not so required but likely and deserving characters include the 5th gen rep, black shadow, the new FE lord and -possibly- Mewtwo if Sakurai counts Pokemon Trainer as one character slot.
Paper Mario is Mario. That's like saying that Mario Kart isn't Mario; they all derive from the same universe. Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon are still part of the Pokemon franchise. Donkey Konga, Barrel Blast, Diddy Kong Racing, and what not are all part of the Donkey Kong franchise. Paper Mario is merely a Mario spinoff, not a 2nd party franchise.

I've, in the past, included reps from Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Advanced Wars, and Animal Crossing in my ideas, and I still hold them firmly. My last post detailed my support for 3rd party characters, and while I included in it my support for 2nd party, I thought it unnecessary to list such characters as they were not my focus. Moving on...

"MANDATORY." K. Rool, Ridley, and Mega Man are not MANDATORY. They are highly desired, and while they would be unique additions to the series, they are overdesired. SSB64 came out of no where; no one expected that game, so the inclusion of every character in that game was a complete surprise. Any surprises in Melee? I'd say the FE characters, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Young Link, Ice Climbers, and G&W were the biggest [enjoyable] surprises. Bowser, Peach, Falco, and Zelda were to be expected. Pichu and Dr. Mario were distasteful surprises.

Then we got Brawl, which was hugely publicly updated, thanks to the Dojo, so we knew everything that was going to be in the game before it came out (and with the help of the Japanese release). I'd say the only real surprise characters in Brawl were Wolf, ROB, Snake, and Sonic. Everyone else was pretty expected. So, why am I using "surprise" so much? Because that's renewal; that's change; that's taking a risk to do to a franchise what is not to be expected by fans. If we can guess who'll be in the next game before anything is even announced, then the game fails at innovation. To keep interest in a game - or anything for that matter - you must keep the reader turning the pages. Don't bore them with what's to be expected; don't fill it with extraneous words that give the reader enough time to either figure out what's going to happen next, since you've given them enough time to do so, or more probable - just set the book down and never return. Keep them on their toes, do something different and surprising. That goes for all elements of the game.

So, what is mandatory? Is it the inclusion of K. Rool, Ridley, and Mega Man? No, more so the upheaving of Smash Bros with change, diversity, and innovation - taking risks and doing things that are not to be expected. That keeps interest. Like I said before, if your audience can guess everything that's going to happen, why write the book in the first place? To tell them that they were right, only to leave them with a stack of glued pages, never to be read again? Of course not. You want your work to be exercised over and over and over to the audience's content, and doing the expected will not fulfill that - or in some regards, challenge that.

Again, thank you for your time readers,
Spire

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
You give a interesting argument on the grounds of innovation, but if you're not going to put in the characters people want. . .What are you going to put in? Is the roster to be filled with shock characters? Of course some characters should be surprises. You also missed one of the biggest shock characters in Brawl in the Pokemon Trainer.

But still, if you take out the characters that people expect and want to be in, what point is there? I don't want to be playing as a bunch of obscure characters. Is 3 "locks" so much to ask for? I'm not asking for the entire roster to be populated by characters such as this. There's still enough to fufill SSB4 with mainly Nintendo characters.

Why would they change to mainly 3rd party characters? They'd be advertising for their enemies. There are only so many characters that are close to Nintendo that can be added. At least some deserving characters need to be added, or else the entire roster will be made up of things like Krystal and random 3rd party characters. What would be your proposed roster?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Why would they change to mainly 3rd party characters? They'd be advertising for their enemies.
Enemies? Only characters that would be enemies are characters like Master Chief and Kratos. So long as those characters make Nintendo money, they're anything but enemies.

There's still enough characters to keep it "Nintendo All-Stars" though, I don't think they need to open the 3rd party flood gate more than they need to.

Golden Sun, Custom Robo, and Advance Wars should be enough to spread diversity while fleshing out current series' like Donkey Kong (which seems like the only one really needing it.)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm not demanding, I just want melee 2.0 with new characters and stages and online :)
We're never getting Melee 2.0. Plz get over it.

We're never even getting Brawl 2.0

Why would they change to mainly 3rd party characters? They'd be advertising for their enemies. There are only so many characters that are close to Nintendo that can be added. At least some deserving characters need to be added, or else the entire roster will be made up of things like Krystal and random 3rd party characters. What would be your proposed roster?
You don't know what 3rd party means do you?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
"Snake, do you know who that is?"
"You're kidding me, right? That's Cloud."
"Cloud has become a Japanese phenomena behind Mario, there is probably not a single person on that small piece of land who doesn't know who Cloud is, he's that famous!"
"Sad thing is that I trailed a few places behind him in Japanese pop-culture polls, huh?"
"Get out there and show him what you're made of, no regrets."

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Snake was a foolish decision. His real games are all on sony consoles besides the NES ones, and they even gave trophies to the PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4. Snake's creator say she hates the NES ones, and they are considered non canon. He only got in due to the creator of Snake being a friend of Sakurai.

F-Zero and Metroid also need another character alongside Donkey Kong. Pokemon is inevitably going to get a 5th gen rep, which means it's going to be starving for Lucario or Mewtwo.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Snake was a foolish decision. His real games are all on sony consoles besides the NES ones, and they even gave trophies to the PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4. Snake's creator say she hates the NES ones, and they are considered non canon. He only got in due to the creator of Snake being a friend of Sakurai.

F-Zero and Metroid also need another character alongside Donkey Kong. Pokemon is inevitably going to get a 5th gen rep, which means it's going to be starving for Lucario or Mewtwo.
Foolish? Not canon? The games are canon, otherwise, Big Boss would not be as important as he is and MGS4 would be a huge pile of unexplained dialogue.

Who in Metroid seems important enough, aside from Ridley and perhaps Dark Samus, would be in? I doubt Ridley would make it cause he has elephantitus, and Dark Samus was Prime's main antagonist, but the series is over, so I doubt it's chances of getting in.

F-Zero? Another almost completely fabricated move-set because every character in the game sits in a vehicle and doesn't even show their face? I can do without.

I can agree about Donkey Kong though, needs the prime antagonist at least.

Spire

III
BRoomer

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Foolish? Not canon? The games are canon, otherwise, Big Boss would not be as important as he is and MGS4 would be a huge pile of unexplained dialogue.

Who in Metroid seems important enough, aside from Ridley and perhaps Dark Samus, would be in? I doubt Ridley would make it cause he has elephantitus, and Dark Samus was Prime's main antagonist, but the series is over, so I doubt it's chances of getting in.

F-Zero? Another almost completely fabricated move-set because every character in the game sits in a vehicle and doesn't even show their face? I can do without.

I can agree about Donkey Kong though, needs the prime antagonist at least.
Whether or not they're canon doesn't matter, as Snake's creator hates the NES games.

Ridley is extremely deserving and popular. It's just that Sakurai hates him and doesn't want to make a moveset for him. He had to acknoweledge his sheer popularity though by making him a boss twice, which certainly shows he realizes how popular he is. If we somebody besides Ridley, he's guaranteed, otherwise he's just a likely character due to Sakurai's idiotic bias against him.

The thing about F-Zero is there's one character who doesn't require a moveset pulled out of nowhere. That's Black Shadow. He can inherit Ganondorf's old cloned Captain Falcon moveset while Ganondorf gets a unique one. That way Ganon's old moveset stays in the game yet he still gets a new one, and we get a newcomer out of it to boot. What's not to like?

Mind telling me what the point of the Starfox/F-Zero/Metroid roster was?

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Melee 2.0? rofl

"Super Smash Bros. Melee has been announced for an online WiiWare game. The game will include all previous elements from the original, but will include 1st-party newcomers and a few stages from the game's successor Super Smash Bros. Brawl. All mechanics and gameplay have returned, and the wifi play is a remarkable addition to this new version. Click here for more details."

HolyCrusader

Smash Cadet
Sakurai says that this was the final SSB game in the series but I'm thinking that if there is gonna be another next gen Nintendo console, which is highly likely, then there is a slight chance that Sakurai will make another.
I just hope for better graphics no nerfing(UNNERF GANON) and they add these characters since they have like three from StarFox. I want them to King K Rool(Donkey Kong Series), Bring back Roy but nerf him for his own style( Don't want a Marth clone),Master Chief( Halo series) Yes Master Chief probably never ever going to happen but I would love to see him match up against Snake. Everything else pretty much the same except some more items from various franchieses.

(I suck at starting new topics >.>)

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Whether or not they're canon doesn't matter, as Snake's creator hates the NES games.
If it were true, when it was said matters. I'm sure Sega had a thing against Nintendo back in the day.

Ridley is extremely deserving and popular. It's just that Sakurai hates him and doesn't want to make a moveset for him. He had to acknoweledge his sheer popularity though by making him a boss twice, which certainly shows he realizes how popular he is. If we somebody besides Ridley, he's guaranteed, otherwise he's just a likely character due to Sakurai's idiotic bias against him.
We're jumping to conclusions here. Do people really want a huge dinosaur roughly the size of four characters being playable?

As a Metroid fan, I would dislike the idea of resizing Ridley just to have him playable.

The thing about F-Zero is there's one character who doesn't require a moveset pulled out of nowhere. That's Black Shadow. He can inherit Ganondorf's old cloned Captain Falcon moveset while Ganondorf gets a unique one. That way Ganon's old moveset stays in the game yet he still gets a new one, and we get a newcomer out of it to boot. What's not to like?
Seems highly unprobable that they will revamp Ganondorf's move set completely, perhaps slightly change his moves to make him seem less like a clone, but do we really want another clone in the first place? I'd think twice.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Melee 2.0? rofl

"Super Smash Bros. Melee has been announced for an online WiiWare game. The game will include all previous elements from the original, but will include 1st-party newcomers and a few stages from the game's successor Super Smash Bros. Brawl. All mechanics and gameplay have returned, and the wifi play is a remarkable addition to this new version. Click here for more details."
Click where.

EDIT: Guys, Ridley can be easily resized. Olimar was really small in his games. Bowser was much larger in some Mario games. Ridley was actually resized for the opening to Melee. He's roughly the size of Samus. Why don't you guys think about what the **** you're talking about?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Ridley can be shrunk. I don't care how awkward he'd look, and I don't particularly think he'd look that awkward. If you can't picture him in Smash Bros, just picture him as a clone of Charizard. It's not that hard. Of course we don't want Ridley at his giant size.

People have been whining about Ganon's moveset since Melee. Ganondorf getting a new moveset would please Zelda fans far more then a Zelda newcomer, as there's no popular/deserving choice for a 5th rep.

Lol @ guy who wants Master Chief. Go away, microsoft fanboy.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Ridley can be shrunk. I don't care how awkward he'd look, and I don't particularly think he'd look that awkward. If you can't picture him in Smash Bros, just picture him as a clone of Charizard. It's not that hard. Of course we don't want Ridley at his giant size.
Metroid fans would care. Ridley's size shows how much of a badass Samus is for taking something so big on. Shrinking Ridley just because is sad if take a second to think about it.

People have been whining about Ganon's moveset since Melee. Ganondorf getting a new moveset would please Zelda fans far more then a Zelda newcomer, as there's no popular/deserving choice for a 5th rep.
Why would it please fans? Because he needs a sword? I can see editing a few moves to integrate the use of his sword, but an entire revamp? Don't think that will please people who already play as Ganondorf.

Fifth choice? I say we axe Toon Link since there already is a Link. Fourth rep could be Midna-- was the star of the game in every aspect and had the most voice work ever in any Zelda game. I would bat for her if I really cared to vouch for more Zelda reps.

Lol @ guy who wants Master Chief. Go away, microsoft fanboy.
As unrealistic as that idea may be, that would be awesome. AND YODA WITH CLOUD-- really. The game would be legendary.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
People who play as Ganondorf can move on to Black Shadow. He'll have Ganondorf's old moveset. He doesn't even need a sword so much as he needs a magical projectile. Replace that useless warlock punch with his signature projectile that can be hit back and forth in a game of tennis plz. This is coming from someone who mained Ganon in melee (Although moved on from him in Brawl due to how terrible he was.).

Metroid fans would rather have him shrunk then not be in the game at all. The amount of people demanding him in the polls confirms this. He was the most requested character after Sonic.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
People who play as Ganondorf can move on to Black Shadow. He'll have Ganondorf's old moveset. He doesn't even need a sword so much as he needs a magical projectile. Replace that useless warlock punch with his signature projectile that can be hit back and forth in a game of tennis plz. This is coming from someone who mained Ganon in melee (Although moved on from him in Brawl due to how terrible he was.).

Metroid fans would rather have him shrunk then not be in the game at all. The amount of people demanding him in the polls confirms this. He was the most requested character after Sonic.
If yout hink he will have Ganondorf's moves. Then how about this.

Black Shadow
B: Bull Horn
^B: Shadow Drive
>B: Dark Defender
vB: Slam Fist
Final Smash: Bull Rush

Ha that ain't a clone of ganondorf. Plus Bull Horn and Slam Fist aren't alike. So now do you think he would be a clone of Ganondorf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom