• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@ Commander Blitz: hmm.. that's actually a good moveset there, not bad, but what's your hate with Ashley?

EDIT: 3000!! FTW!!!!!!!

SirKibble

Smash Champion
So what does everyone think of this?

What if you could set the random stages and characters the same way you set music in My Music? I mean, adjusting frequencies and all? Like, I'd love to play Random sometimes, but I really dread getting certain characters. So wouldn't it be nice if I could set them to a lower frequency, or even turn them off of my random selection. And the same thing could work for the stages, with setting frequencies. As a bonus, maybe we could set a certain color for each character's random. Like telling the random basically, if I'm Ness, I want to be the green one. Anyway, just a thought, what do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

As long as Ike returns in the next one, i'm not complaining about the roster.

*Cough* Black Knight for SSB4 *Cough*

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I have a pretty good third-party character idea.

Viewtiful Joe:
B: Voomerang: Throws a voomerang forward dealing multiple hits.
B>: Mach Speed: He rapidly attacks while you hold the button.
B^: Zoom Jump: Does the jump attack he preforms from the game. Works like fire fox.
B-down: Viewtiful Forever: This attack works like a counter. If he uses this just as an opponent attacks him, he "strikes a pose that's oh, so cool" as the game says, and the opponent takes damage.

FS: Six Machine: He calls his flying vehicle, Six Machine, and is able to fly around and blast and ram people.

Taunts:

Up: HENSHIN-A-GO-GO-BABY!
Down: You want some? Well, come and get it!
Side: View-ti-ful JOE!

Enterance: He flies in on Six Machine.

I might think of more later.
Not my favorite potential Joe moveset I've ever seen, but even still: you win. You win so, so very much. :bee:

SirKibble said:
What if you could set the random stages and characters the same way you set music in My Music? I mean, adjusting frequencies and all? Like, I'd love to play Random sometimes, but I really dread getting certain characters. So wouldn't it be nice if I could set them to a lower frequency, or even turn them off of my random selection. And the same thing could work for the stages, with setting frequencies. As a bonus, maybe we could set a certain color for each character's random. Like telling the random basically, if I'm Ness, I want to be the green one. Anyway, just a thought, what do you guys think?
Seem like a logical next step, in the same vein as Melee's snapshot capabilities evolved for Brawl.

But then, it's also something that you could see falling through the cracks of a development schedule for such a huge game.

They're both Custom Robos and all, but IMO, Ray 01 is cooler.
He look cooler, sure...but if Nintendo really were to put a Ray in SSB4, the best pick would be Ray Mk II from Custom Robo V2. Mk III's from the "just okay" DS game, and Ray 01 is from the mediocre Gamecube game. V2 is unquestionably the best in the series.

The only reason this wouldn't happen would be if Nintendo never gets around to releasing V2 on the North American VC. They did it with in & Punishment--they shouldn't have many issues with V2...I'd pay 1200 Wii Points for that sucker.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Seem like a logical next step, in the same vein as Melee's snapshot capabilities evolved for Brawl.

But then, it's also something that you could see falling through the cracks of a development schedule for such a huge game.
True enough.

He look cooler, sure...but if Nintendo really were to put a Ray in SSB4, the best pick would be Ray Mk II from Custom Robo V2. Mk III's from the "just okay" DS game, and Ray 01 is from the mediocre Gamecube game. V2 is unquestionably the best in the series.

The only reason this wouldn't happen would be if Nintendo never gets around to releasing V2 on the North American VC. They did it with in & Punishment--they shouldn't have many issues with V2...I'd pay 1200 Wii Points for that sucker.
Honestly, I've got a big bias, as the only Custom Robo game I've played was the GameCube one. Still, I enjoyed it, and I do think the series needs more representation than an Assist Trophy, whichever Ray model we get.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Ray MK, unless he gets somewhat re-sized, will stay as AT, I mean... HE IS TOO FREAKING SMALL! ._.

Now, I think this is something no-one has mentioned... who would be the WTF character for SSB4?

I have no ideas, do you?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ray MK, unless he gets somewhat re-sized, will stay as AT, I mean... HE IS TOO FREAKING SMALL! ._.

Now, I think this is something no-one has mentioned... who would be the WTF character for SSB4?

I have no ideas, do you?
Stanley, Jumpman, or Sonic Commander.

SirKibble said:
Honestly, I've got a big bias, as the only Custom Robo game I've played was the GameCube one. Still, I enjoyed it, and I do think the series needs more representation than an Assist Trophy, whichever Ray model we get.
Well, it's entirely Nintendo's fault for not localizing one of the better N64 games, so it's understandable that you haven't played those earlier games. This is also why we probably would see Mk III or 01 instead of Mk II: Smash Bros.' biggest region of consumers is North America, who haven't played those iterations.

And Ray can be resized. The Robos aren't seen as that tiny when you're playing the games: their size is purely a plot device.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Stanley, Jumpman, or Sonic Commander.

And Ray can be resized. The Robos aren't seen as that tiny when you're playing the games: their size is purely a plot device.
Isn't Mario "Jumpman"? However... Stanley is... um... interesting.

Oh, awesome then. Ray for SSB4!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Isn't Mario "Jumpman"?
Yeah, sure, Jumpman became Mario, but does that really matter? I mean, we've already had Dr. Mario, which is just Mario with a stethoscope and lab coat.

I'd absolutely kill for a sprite-based character from Nintendo's very first hit game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I have no ideas, do you?
That is a good question. I think that it could be Tom Nook, Lip, a Retro character, or a NES.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
@ Commander Blitz: hmm.. that's actually a good moveset there, not bad, but what's your hate with Ashley?

EDIT: 3000!! FTW!!!!!!!
I wouldn't like Ashley in SSB4 because then there'd be too many magic users. If people wanted Micaiah, Zelda, Paula/Kumatora, Isaac, Krystal etc. then we'd have too many magic users. Ashley looks too demonic for me, I'd like Mona though because she doesn't use magic and there aren't enough females who don't use magic. Even Peach while her attacks aren't magic she can still float, making Samus the only pure non-magic using female. Mona would be another good character because she can use lots of weapons including a cheerleading baton, guitar, smack pizza in your face, come in on a motorcycle etc.

Ray looks cool for a character. We need more robots in SSB4. I'd like Sukapon, Ray (any of them), and ROB. The only bad thing about Ray I believe is that he'd be a projectile spammer. I hope he doesn't use the same laser and missile otherwise he'd be too similar to Samus or Fox or other gun users. If they make his missiles or guns act very differently than Samus or Fox or Falco or whoever then I'll be fine with Ray. Otherwise movesets should be as varied as possible.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
That is a good question. I think that it could be Tom Nook, Lip, a Retro character, or a NES.
An actual NES wouldn't really work, since they don't have those in Japan...unless they wanted to change it to a Famicom for the Japanese version or something.

Just as long as they don't dig too deep into the Accessory Graveyard for character ideas. I'd rather not go toe-to-toe with Mr. Power Glove, Captain e-Reader, or a Gamecube Broadband Adapter (zing!).

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Ray looks cool for a character. We need more robots in SSB4. I'd like Sukapon, Ray (any of them), and ROB. The only bad thing about Ray I believe is that he'd be a projectile spammer. I hope he doesn't use the same laser and missile otherwise he'd be too similar to Samus or Fox or other gun users. If they make his missiles or guns act very differently than Samus or Fox or Falco or whoever then I'll be fine with Ray. Otherwise movesets should be as varied as possible.
Ray has potential to be a completely different character from all them. I actually made a moveset for him in the Make Your Move thread, let me see if I can dig up a link...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4666263&postcount=406

There. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, at least check the specials to see how he could differ.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
I think there isn't a problem with adding more magic users. We have... Zelda, Ness, and Johnny Bravo. Three compared to 5 sword users. More magic reps (and no, Peach ISN'T magic). Though I would much rather see Black Mage, it probably won't happen. Ashley is fine.
Ray as a character definitely, ROB needs backup.
A wtf character... I think guessing this takes away from the surprise. It's like peeking through the wrapping paper on Christmas Eve.
Oh what the hell, Captain Rainbow 4 WTF!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
An actual NES wouldn't really work, since they don't have those in Japan...unless they wanted to change it to a Famicom for the Japanese version or something.

Just as long as they don't dig too deep into the Accessory Graveyard for character ideas. I'd rather not go toe-to-toe with Mr. Power Glove, Captain e-Reader, or a Gamecube Broadband Adapter (zing!).
The NES things was a joke.

As for Action Bas- I mean Captain Rainbow as the WTF character, I'm up for it.

Ilex

Smash Ace
The WTF character has always been retro (G&W and ROB),, so Captain Rainbow or someone who isn't from the NES era wouldn't fit. They've also never originated as a playable character.

Duck Hunt Dog > all.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
The WTF character has always been retro (G&W and ROB),, so Captain Rainbow or someone who isn't from the NES era wouldn't fit. They've also never originated as a playable character.

Duck Hunt Dog > all.
Win. Absolute Win.

But I hate the Duck Hunt Dog...

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Ray has potential to be a completely different character from all them. I actually made a moveset for him in the Make Your Move thread, let me see if I can dig up a link...

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4666263&postcount=406

There. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, at least check the specials to see how he could differ.
I read the whole thing. That is a very impressive moveset, very different than any of the characters in Brawl so far. I wouldn't be surprised if GCM chose one of your movesets to win the contest. I think Ray would be a good addition to SSB4 to represent another robotic non-organic character.

As far as magic users, let's make a list of how many potential magic users would be in the game vs sword users. So maybe we should think about oversaturating characters and trying to make them as diverse as possible.

Magic:
Already in:
-Ness
-Lucas
-Zelda
(did I miss any?)

Potential newcomers:
1. Isaac
2. Paula/Kumatora
3. Micaiah
4. Ashley
5. Krystal
6. Black Mage (3rd party)
7. Geno (3rd party)
8. Mewtwo

11 total magic users do you think that is fine?

Sword:
Already in:
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Metaknight
-Kirby (upB)
-Toon Link

Potential newcomers:
1. Roy
2. Takamaru
3. Lyn
4. Samurai Goroh
5. Claus
6. Black Knight
7. Kat and Ana
8. Megaman (if he uses his energy sword) (3rd party)
9. Isaac (counts as both sword and magic)
10. Ganondorf w/ sword moveset

16 sword users.

I am not so sure I want 11 magic users and 15/16 sword users. I'd like more diversity in my movesets if you know what I mean.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
But I hate the Duck Hunt Dog...
So does everyone else. I don't like the idea, because he's jut a dog. But not a dog like...well, like maybe Wolf Link or something, who has practical applications in Smash Bros.

Duck Hunt Dog's game has him doing nothing but grabbing ducks in his mouth or laughing at you--there's no indication that he's anything but a normal, run-of-the-mill dog. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I were to see a good moveset for him...

And also, Duck Hunt isn't even that fun of a game. It's got this weird, meta-nostalgic cloak around it because most game-reviewers today experienced it as their first light-gun game. Really, the game sucks. Just because the game's worked it's way into popular culture doesn't make it worth representing.

A trophy or sticker here and there is fine...maybe an Assist Trophy in SSB4 (Ducks fly across screen, damaging players. Players can attack the ducks to knock them out of the sky--complete with the numerical points and fall to the ground--instead of being hit. If half the ducks are destroyed, the Dog pops up in the foreground--like the Nintendog, only in the corner and out of the way--holding a duck. But if the quota isn't met, the Dog shows up and taunts the players).

Kiki52 said:
I am not so sure I want 11 magic users and 15/16 sword users. I'd like more diversity in my movesets if you know what I mean.
I really don't think it matter at all how many sword/magic users are in the game. As long as they feel differently enough as you play them, what does it matter?

Meta-Knight feels nothing like Toon Link, despite both of them wielding mall, quick swords.

Snafu

Smash Cadet
Discussing the possibility of SSB4 with a mate the other day, he gave me his idea for a WTF character:

Mouser.

I didn't ask what he figured the moveset would be like. I guess that there'd be bombs.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
I read the whole thing. That is a very impressive moveset, very different than any of the characters in Brawl so far. I wouldn't be surprised if GCM chose one of your movesets to win the contest. I think Ray would be a good addition to SSB4 to represent another robotic non-organic character.

As far as magic users, let's make a list of how many potential magic users would be in the game vs sword users. So maybe we should think about oversaturating characters and trying to make them as diverse as possible.

Magic:
Already in:
-Ness
-Lucas
-Zelda
(did I miss any?)

Potential newcomers:
1. Isaac
2. Paula/Kumatora
3. Micaiah
4. Ashley
5. Krystal
7. Geno (3rd party)
8. Mewtwo

Sword:
Already in:
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Metaknight
-Kirby (upB)
-Toon Link

Potential newcomers:
1. Roy
2. Takamaru
3. Lyn
4. Samurai Goroh
5. Claus
6. Black Knight
7. Kat and Ana

16 sword users.

Where to start of?
1)These are suggestions and they are surely not gonna add even half of the "Potential Newcomers" u posted so actually ur numbers are too big
2)Kirby/Megaman because they have ONE SINGLE MOVE that includes a sword (in both cases even that single move isnt that much sword-like cause the sword is used much differently) it doesnt automatically add them in the list
3)Most of the characters uve posted for example zelda/ness are played so much differently (Zelda even has sheik transformation which makes only 50% of her moves being magic) that do not even count in the same category and this proves that having multiple characters that wield a sword wont ruin the game but instead show us how many sub-categories exist in every category
4)what ur actually saying is not to add any characters that have magic/sword BUT REALLY DIFFERENT MOVES but i havent seen u saying anything about clones...in my opinion its more boring to have 2 characters who do not wield a sword or use magic but have the same moves (Falco/Fox) than 2 characters that have completely different ones but happen to both have one of the above (sword/magic)

uve said the whole post very politely and calm and i didnt mistake u, i know that u werent "complaining" about the topic but rather "saying ur opinion" and i did recognise that so please dont misjudge my post either cause although it may sound offensive i wasnt thinking like that but rather saying my opinion as well and trying to correct u were i disagreed

Also im thinking of some characters that are surely gonna change....olimar for example...by the point the new game comes out a pikmin 3 will be already out just as well and this will have him get more pikmin and depending on the abilities they have olimar's may change a lot as well...for example if the new pikmin introduced are bulbmin (in this thread there are some ideas for bulbmin http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166505&page=4 )

Also please some1 reply to this post
Has it been OFFICIAL that they are AT LEAST CONSIDERING making SSBB2 (Which from what i heard is a.k.a an update of the current game)? Pay attention not to misunderstand...i dont ask if its official that they are making it BUT IF IT IS OFFICIAL THAT THEY HAVE "THOUGHT" THAT THERE MIGHT BE A CHANCE THAT THEY MAY AT SOME POINT MAKE IT (i know ive bit of overdone explaining but in this specific topic its very easy for a misunderstanding to happen due to missread or something and if that happened it'd result in unnecesarily bad comments and replies to my post which would spoil the familiar atmosphere of this idea-posting thread, and i wouldnt wanna be the reason something like this would happen)

AND btw if they do are considering of doing so will this happen via internet update of the current game somehow or a second game release...MY guess is that its propably the second option as with the first they wouldnt make any money except if they had charged for the update through the net but that would result in less people buying it because of many casuals' avoidance of buying/selling any kind of hardware/software through the net + many people who have brawl not having an internet connection with their wii...also this disc is double layer, done so because of high memory needed so not many updates would have had enough space to be added (and only if the disc isnt ROM though i doubt it isnt cause most video games are...besides even if it isnt i too doubt that the wii itself has all hardware/software needed to overwrite such a way the game)

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Has it been OFFICIAL that they are AT LEAST CONSIDERING making SSBB2 (Which from what i heard is a.k.a an update of the current game)? Pay attention not to misunderstand...i dont ask if its official that they are making it BUT IF IT IS OFFICIAL THAT THEY HAVE "THOUGHT" THAT THERE MIGHT BE A CHANCE THAT THEY MAY AT SOME POINT MAKE IT (i know ive bit of overdone explaining but in this specific topic its very easy for a misunderstanding to happen due to missread or something and if that happened it'd result in unnecesarily bad comments and replies to my post which would spoil the familiar atmosphere of this idea-posting thread, and i wouldnt wanna be the reason something like this would happen)

AND btw if they do are considering of doing so will this happen via internet update of the current game somehow or a second game release...MY guess is that its propably the second option as with the first they wouldnt make any money except if they had charged for the update through the net but that would result in less people buying it because of many casuals' avoidance of buying/selling any kind of hardware/software through the net + many people who have brawl not having an internet connection with their wii...also this disc is double layer, done so because of high memory needed so not many updates would have had enough space to be added (and only if the disc isnt ROM though i doubt it isnt cause most video games are...besides even if it isnt i too doubt that the wii itself has all hardware/software needed to overwrite such a way the game)
I have no idea. Sorry...but, I don't think there would be a SSBB2; I think the creators would just make another sequel (Super Smash Bros. _____).

ness4life

Smash Journeyman

Magic:
Already in:
-Ness
-Lucas
-Zelda
(did I miss any?)

Potential newcomers:
1. Isaac
2. Paula/Kumatora
3. Micaiah
4. Ashley
5. Krystal
7. Geno (3rd party)
8. Mewtwo

Sword:
Already in:
-Marth
-Ike
-Link
-Metaknight
-Kirby (upB)
-Toon Link

Potential newcomers:
1. Roy
2. Takamaru
3. Lyn
4. Samurai Goroh
5. Claus
6. Black Knight
7. Kat and Ana

16 sword users.

You forgot Pit as a sword user, and one move shouldn't make them a sword user. I mean, Mario isn't considered a "Cape" character, even though he has a side b cape move. He's a melee fighter (punches/kicks) because that is the bulk of his moveset. And if you're counting mewtwo as magic, then Lucario is a magic user as well.... sorry, I'm a nitpicker.

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of another third party character.

Ryu:
B: Hadoken: Fires a Hadoken at his opponent.
B>: Hurricane Kick: Attacks with a Hurricane Kick. Lands multiple blows.
B^: Shoruken: Lands a mighty flame-based attack. Lands three powerful blows.
B-down: Focus Attack: Works as a counter.

FS: Ultamite Combo: Lands a series or normal blows, a shoruken, a hurricane kick, and a mighty Hadoken to finish off.

Ilex

Smash Ace
So does everyone else. I don't like the idea, because he's jut a dog. But not a dog like...well, like maybe Wolf Link or something, who has practical applications in Smash Bros.

Duck Hunt Dog's game has him doing nothing but grabbing ducks in his mouth or laughing at you--there's no indication that he's anything but a normal, run-of-the-mill dog. Maybe I'd change my opinion if I were to see a good moveset for him...

And also, Duck Hunt isn't even that fun of a game. It's got this weird, meta-nostalgic cloak around it because most game-reviewers today experienced it as their first light-gun game. Really, the game sucks. Just because the game's worked it's way into popular culture doesn't make it worth representing.

A trophy or sticker here and there is fine...maybe an Assist Trophy in SSB4 (Ducks fly across screen, damaging players. Players can attack the ducks to knock them out of the sky--complete with the numerical points and fall to the ground--instead of being hit. If half the ducks are destroyed, the Dog pops up in the foreground--like the Nintendog, only in the corner and out of the way--holding a duck. But if the quota isn't met, the Dog shows up and taunts the players).
Everyone hates ROB too, but he was put in anyway. DHD is famous for being infamous, everyone hates him yet everybody knows him too. He is 'just a dog' in the same way that ROB is just a robot, Peach is just a princess and Yoshi is just a dinosaur.

You say his game sucks, but it's an icon of the NES era and everybody gets nostalgic thinking of him. If the game sucked then it wouldn't have received the fame it has.

I would post a moveset but I'm still working on it :O

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
I just thought of another third party character.

Ryu:
B: Hadoken: Fires a Hadoken at his opponent.
B>: Hurricane Kick: Attacks with a Hurricane Kick. Lands multiple blows.
B^: Shoruken: Lands a mighty flame-based attack. Lands three powerful blows.
B-down: Focus Attack: Works as a counter.

FS: Ultamite Combo: Lands a series or normal blows, a shoruken, a hurricane kick, and a mighty Hadoken to finish off.
You don't honestly think that you're the first person to think of putting Ryu in, do you?

Oh, and moveset is good, but B-down should be "turtle". Ryu just crouches down and blocks the attack (he can move while he does this but can't jump).

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
I thought of new assist trophies!

Alastor: Alastor appears and begins to attack with his sword. Pretty basic.
Eggman: Appears in his ship and uses his wrecking ball to attack.
Bass: Just runs around blasting people.
Psycho Mantis: Takes control of the items on the stage as weapons. If no items are on the stage he uses random things as weapons.
Wii: The Miis from the owner of wii the game is being played on rampage around the stage, attacking opponents.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
If Duck Hunt Dog was to be a playable character in smash bros, the game would... wow that would suck. that would be rediculously stupid. Really. The way the duck hunt dog would be represented as a assist trophy. The assist trophies are for characters who don't have enough potential/priority to be placed as playables.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Duck Hunt Dog was to be a playable character in smash bros, the game would... wow that would suck. that would be rediculously stupid. Really. The way the duck hunt dog would be represented as a assist trophy. The assist trophies are for characters who don't have enough potential/priority to be placed as playables.
Recently I was just thinking about those ducks from Duck Hunt as an Assist Trophy.

If they pop up, the ducks would fly around, but then a target will appear and shoot at the ducks. If you're not careful, you could get caught in the crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom