• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Travis doesn't deserve to be in Smash, sorry to say. He's had two games of moderate popularity, and just because Suda 51 says he'd like Travis in, doesn't really mean squat. I'm sure a lot of game creators would love to have their characters in Smash. Seriously, you're being pretty deluded if you actually think that Travis is going to get in, as opposed to wanting him in.

In any case, I don't think it matters if Sakurai is on board or not, third party characters should be only used if they are really popular/iconic enough to really deserve getting in. In my eyes, only Mega Man counts, and thus it really should just be three.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I still think Dragon Quest is worth a spot. Massively popular in Japan and a predominantly Nintendo-based series.

Smash_Of_Fate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Babael_Of_Fate
3DS FC
1134-7601-5121
I would love to see Pulseman > Megaman and Bomberman.

If they did add him his popularity will probably increase and maybe they will even make a sequel after all this time. Meh but one could only wish and dream.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
I can't see Sakurai not being on board for the next Smash Brothers. He actually doesn't talk about characters and features he wanted to include in Brawl because he wants to hold them back in the event of a fourth game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Travis doesn't deserve to be in Smash, sorry to say. He's had two games of moderate popularity, and just because Suda 51 says he'd like Travis in, doesn't really mean squat. I'm sure a lot of game creators would love to have their characters in Smash. Seriously, you're being pretty deluded if you actually think that Travis is going to get in, as opposed to wanting him in.

In any case, I don't think it matters if Sakurai is on board or not, third party characters should be only used if they are really popular/iconic enough to really deserve getting in. In my eyes, only Mega Man counts, and thus it really should just be three.
Snake says hi.

Do any of you really think Sakurai wouldn't return? Really? Without relying on his untimely demise or anything?
I can see him returning. The question remains though of whether he directs the game or is a producer like Miyamoto for a lot his games. Just as long as he supports both casual and competitive play, design wise, then I'm happy with him returning to work on the fourth one.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Kuma, what exactly are you refering to with the Snake thing? That he doesn't deserve it? I suppose Snake doesn't have a large connection to Nintendo per say, but he's certainly a iconic video game character in his own right. If its the Travis thing, then the fact that Snake is actually a video game icon still applies, since Travis really isn't, and thus Kojima calling up Sakurai to let Snake in makes more sense than Suda 51 trying to do the same with Travis..

Anyways, I think there is technically a chance that the next Smash may not be directed by Sakurai, but its not a very big chance.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I like how this thread doesnt talk about potential new features, and just bickers about the chances of characters getting in

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I like how this thread doesnt talk about potential new features, and just bickers about the chances of characters getting in
Sure it does, people just want to talk about characters more. I mean, it's only pretty much the main appeal of Smash. :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Where have you been when I bring up gameplay changes/additions?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Simon's also been in the MSX2 game, the Sharp X68000 or whatever game, and Chronicles on PS1. And apparently he's been like 10 other Konami games, usually as the only Castlevania character (the only other one who seems to show up is Drac). Even the Judgment cover art is pretty clear with pointing out Simon as the face of the series.
Just so everyone is clear: I know that Simon has a better chance should Castlevania get a rep in SSB4.
Alucard is just my opinion on who I think would make a better
and more interesting
fighter for a smash game.
DISCLAIMER: By stating that, I'm not implying that Simon wouldn't be a good fit; he still would be a great fit and I'd still be overjoyed to have him.
For anyone that cares: Castlevania X68000 and Chronicles on the PS1 have the same plot.

toiseofchoice said:
Adding Alucard just because SoTN is all IGA knows how to do doesn't make sense.
I'm not following you......what or who is IGA? And why doesn't it make sense?

toiseofchoice said:
Adding him because he's popular, sure.
That's why I think he deserves a shot. He's popular, recurring, and he's pretty cool to boot.
toiseofchoice said:
Even then he wouldn't come before Simon.
No, sadly, he wouldn't. But that's ok.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Where have you been when I bring up gameplay changes/additions?
drowned out by:

This my DREAM roster 4 ssb4

Mario:
Mario [dr mario]
Luigi [mr. l]
Peach [daisy]
Bowser [skelton bowser]
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario [gold] [not a clone]
Geno [white]

Zelda:
Link [zorra armor]
Zelda/Shiek [toon]
Ganondorf [toon] [with sword]
Skull Kid [tp verion]
Toon Link [melee version]
Wolf Link and Minda [toon]

Pokemon:
Pickachu [raichu]
PT [female]
Jigglypuff [wigglypuff]
Mewtwo [with hood]
Lucario [shiny form]
Pokemon rival [team rocket]

Golden Sun:
Isaac [classic]

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon [blood falcon]
Samuriah Goroh [black] [with sword]
Black Shadow [with cape]

Fire-Emblem:
Marth
Ike

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong [white fur]
Diddy Kong [white fur]
King K. Rool [one of his henchmen]

Retro:
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
R.O.B. [ancient minster]
Pit
Little Mac [without shirt]

Earthbound:
Ness [jeff]
Lucas
Masked Man

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS [dark samus]
Ridley [meta ridley]

Starfox: [star fox assualt costumes 4 all]
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal [uses staff]

Wario:
Wario [classic]

Pikmin:
Pikmin and Olimar [louie]

Kirby:
Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede
Knuckle Joe

Yoshi:
Yoshi [boshi]

Sin and Punishment:
Saki [classic]

3rd Party:
Snake [old version]
Sonic [black knight armor]
Megaman [classic]
Ryu [dark ryu]
Simon Belmont [1st appearence]
every 5 minutes

...there should be a seperate thread or something for dicussing emchanical changes...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's pretty much set up in the group I made. We can't have a gameplay/features thread without it getting locked so we're stuck co-existing in this thread other wise.

Kuma, what exactly are you refering to with the Snake thing? That he doesn't deserve it? I suppose Snake doesn't have a large connection to Nintendo per say, but he's certainly a iconic video game character in his own right. If its the Travis thing, then the fact that Snake is actually a video game icon still applies, since Travis really isn't, and thus Kojima calling up Sakurai to let Snake in makes more sense than Suda 51 trying to do the same with Travis..

Anyways, I think there is technically a chance that the next Smash may not be directed by Sakurai, but its not a very big chance.
Considering that Sakurai had a small list of requirements for third party characters getting in, it can happen so there's no need to flat out rule it out. There's no rule that they have to be gaming icons. Even then, that's totally subjective. If Suda 51 wants Travis in, he just needs the okay from Nintendo to get him in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Exactly what did Suda 51 say about Travis in Smash? Where's the article?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Considering that Sakurai had a small list of requirements for third party characters getting in, it can happen so there's no need to flat out rule it out. There's no rule that they have to be gaming icons. Even then, that's totally subjective. If Suda 51 wants Travis in, he just needs the okay from Nintendo to get him in.
Sakurai has also stated that he doesn't want the focus to go away from being a Nintendo cross over, and that's why he was cautious with the third parties. If all developers need to do is just go and ask Nintendo about letting characters in, then Smash would have had more than 2. Heck, Sonic was just fan demand rather than this method. While there may be a small amount of requirements to be considered, there's obviously something up with who actually gets in.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I still think Dragon Quest is worth a spot. Massively popular in Japan and a predominantly Nintendo-based series.
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Megaman are the only series that would "deserve" a spot on the game if you will. Maybe Castlevania to but those fans need to take it up with Konami/Kojima.

Exactly what did Suda 51 say about Travis in Smash? Where's the article?
"I love him, and I want him to be a huge star," Suda tells Nintendo Power. "That’s why I’m working very hard to make this game as interesting as possible. Maybe in the future, we can see him fighting alongside Link in the next Smash Bros. [laughs] That would be great."
Taken from Destructoid.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thank you Starphoenix. That quote does not quite confirm that Travis is a shoe-in for Smash. From what I read, it sounds like Suda knows that Travis isn't very well-known so he hopes to make his creation popular by making his game as interesting as possible and he said MAYBE we can see him in Smash LOLOLOLOL like he is trying to sound modest about his creation while suggesting that Travis would be a great addition in Smash.

Also, no one commented on my stage ideas in the other page. :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Thank you Starphoenix. That quote does not quite confirm that Travis is a shoe-in for Smash. From what I read, it sounds like Suda knows that Travis isn't very well-known so he hopes to make his creation popular by making his game as interesting as possible and he said MAYBE we can see him in Smash LOLOLOLOL like he is trying to sound modest about his creation while suggesting that Travis would be a great addition in Smash.

Also, no one commented on my stage ideas in the other page. :(
Only one person commented on my Dragon Quest list so get used to it... >_>

I liked all of your ideas except Tourian, personally I feel Norfair and Brinstar are enough. I think if we should get another Metroid stage it should be Skytown or Phendrana Drifts alongside an Other M stage.

Spaztic Monkey

Smash Cadet
on a different note, do you think new effects could be added in the next game?

For example, say for some reason Salamence is a character, and one of his moves is actually his ability: Intimidate.

What this could do is emulate the effect of cutting enemy attack by say, making moves stale 2x as fast and for 2x as long, etc, etc?
Meh, an effect that would make you trip (Assuming that tripping is removed) a lot wouldnt hurt

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
what are all of the 3rd party companies that are even being mentioned here?
Capcom, Konami, Sega, Namco, Square Enix, Ubisoft... are there any more worth mentioning with a great mascot or character?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's pretty much set up in the group I made. We can't have a gameplay/features thread without it getting locked so we're stuck co-existing in this thread other wise.

Kuma is right. I mean snake, a gaming icon? Well-known, yes. Icon..... no.
And hasnt Sakurai stated that he didnt want to make another game after brawl? I even heard from someone on here that he wanted to be done after melee. If this is true, then it looks like the man really doesnt want to continue, tho I dont see why he keeps saying he doesnt want to continue and yet makes another game.
So IF a new person was put on the SSB4 project then, yes their could be more than Sonic, Snake and your beloved Megaman.

@Augusto, here is all i consider worth mentioning:
Konami (Snake, Castlevania, and Goemons Great Adventures)
SEGA (Sonic team, and NiGHTS) Namco (Pac-Man, ewww. Klonoa, and Soul Caliber)
Square-Enix (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger)
Hudson Soft (Bomberman, Yay! :3)
Maybe Bandai, but i think they are mostly involved with Sony.
AND LASTLY,
Vanilla-ware (Muramasa: The Demon Blade)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
As much as I'd like it to be bomberman, I'm not sure he's next in line after Megaman

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I know this, but hes not last in line either! I suppose you never know what could happen. So Im keepin my hopes up! :p

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
Kuma is right. I mean snake, a gaming icon? Well-known, yes. Icon..... no.
And hasnt Sakurai stated that he didnt want to make another game after brawl? I even heard from someone on here that he wanted to be done after melee. If this is true, then it looks like the man really doesnt want to continue, tho I dont see why he keeps saying he doesnt want to continue and yet makes another game.
He didn't say he didn't want to continue, although he did say that he doesn't really like doing nothing but sequels, or something along those lines. He also said that he'd go back to do Smash if he were asked to.

He probably will come back, and so I think that if we speculate about Smash 4, we should do so under the assumption that he will return, but it's always possible that he might not (although I think if he didn't return, it would probably be because Iwata didn't call him back and not because he refused to come back).

You've missed the point entirely. Nobody is denying that Ganondorf played a different game to Falcon in Melee (and indeed in Brawl), but what does that have to do with sharing almost the exact same moveset? There can be no justification for taking one of Nintendo's biggest villains and basically saying "uh, let's just reskin this totally unrelated character and tweak his attributes". It's sheer laziness.

He would not have been in Melee had Nintendo not made him a Ganondorf model swap. That doesn't really justify him being similar to Falcon in Brawl (although I'm not complaining), but including a character that fans asked for in the only way they could have was certainly better than not including that character at all, right?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You're right, and unlike most ppl who post here Im willing to "look at things in someone elses perspective" Chances are, Sakurai will be back in SSB4. That most likely means two new third parties, tops. Now, would Someone care to make a top Six list of third party candidates?

We could share and compare :-P

D1337

Smash Apprentice
Smash4! I kind of doubt it. I mean the smash series so far is one game per gen. Theoretically, unless nintendo makes a "Wii 360" An SSB4 seems unlikely.

But I am guilty of indulging of this fantasy of course.
Smash4 would be epic. I my mind they should utilize 3rd party characters. Mainly from classic old school gaming mascots. Like Crash, Spyro and Megaman. The chracters should also stick to the old school roots. Like Spryo be the one made by insomniac and same with Crash from naughty dog. (New ones suck) I would be happy even they made the 2-d nes Megaman playable.
Now theres the "Nitroglycerin" topic of which FF characters should be in it. If it were up to me...NONE. I love FF...all of the good ones anyway(2-10) And sadly people(new***s) think Cloud should be in SMB4. Now I'm ok in hacking Cloud in my game but for nintendo to claim Cloud as a nintendo character is stupid solely for the morality of keeping certain characters in there place. Cloud only in a PS game and should remain that way (Disney influence is null and void).
However playing as an old school FF characters such as Thief,Black Mage, Etc. I'm all up for.
But if SMB4 did have PS faces on the nintendo field it would be a disgusting and sick attempt to increase there (new***) fanbase.

I think everything else should stay the same as it in Brawl except SB. Just improve roster and stages and music

Serph

Smash Journeyman
Smash4! I kind of doubt it. I mean the smash series so far is one game per gen. Theoretically, unless nintendo makes a "Wii 360" An SSB4 seems unlikely.
I don't think anyone expects to see SSB4 for the Wii. It'll be on the next console.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yeah, the thread is basically a hypothetical about the next game, and isn't assuming that the console is on or isn't on the Wii, but most people do expect it to be for the next system. That being said, there's really no reason to doubt that a Smash 4 will happen. People loved the first three Smash games, and they made Nintendo loads of money. Ninty would have to be crazy not to make a Smash 4, though it may take some time to get around to that.

And I'd say that Snake is certainly much more of a gaming icon than Bomberman.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I know, Shortie, you are rooting for Bomberman and everything but you do realize Hudson Soft is owned by Konami correct?

BBQTV

Smash Master
i wonder whats for dinner. how their goona try hurting compettive players even more

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's not bring that up. SmashChu's already giving people hell again in one of the threads with his anti-competitive views.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm well aware of the fact that Bomberman is Konami, and in my opinion that only hurts his chances more, since I see a Castlevania character (Simon) in before him.

Also off topic, but the Capcom embargo over delicious MvC3 ends in less than 24 hours. :chuckle:

Serph

Smash Journeyman
Being the video game icon that he is, I think Bomberman is more likely than anyone from Castlevania. In fact I consider him one of the top options as far as third party characters go.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm well aware of the fact that Bomberman is Konami, and in my opinion that only hurts his chances more, since I see a Castlevania character (Simon) in before him.

Also off topic, but the Capcom embargo over delicious MvC3 ends in less than 24 hours. :chuckle:
What I am trying to show poor Shortie, Bomberman is going to take a back seat to the Belmonts and Solid Snake. Yes, I am VERY excited for Capcom's embargo to end, from what I know it ends 11:00 AM Eastern Time.

In regards to SmashChu, I sincerely disagree with him on the issue of third party characters but his views on the competitive scene is not one of them. I go back and forth on whether we really need any drastic changes or not, especially when the whole Nintendo Vs. Capcom idea is floating around. While I would like to see some changes to the gameplay to freshen it up, I do not see Nintendo messing with a "tried and true" formula. :\

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In regards to SmashChu, I sincerely disagree with him on the issue of third party characters but his views on the competitive scene is not one of them. I go back and forth on whether we really need any drastic changes or not, especially when the whole Nintendo Vs. Capcom idea is floating around. While I would like to see some changes to the gameplay to freshen it up, I do not see Nintendo messing with a "tried and true" formula. :\
What you call the "tried and true" formula is up for debate. To me, you lose the formula when the game has lifebars, stages as simply backgrounds, the K.O. method is changed to a traditional one, and DI is gone for good.

Personally, I'd like to see stuff that supports the basic formula of things. Then again, I've clarified this stuff along with my vision in the past.

One thing I've thought about though is what if I were to have presented each of these concepts outside of fighting game terms. If I had presented the super meter proposal to something akin to the limit breaks of Final Fantasy, would things have gone different? Thanks to Scooby, I can easily disguise the traditional super jump technique as originating from the Power Squat Jump in SMB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom