• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Bowser's inconsistent size

All these can be easily explained away via the uses of Super Mushrooms, Mega Mushrooms, Kamek's magic, the Vibe Scepter, the Power Stars, even his own body (Rump Command), etc.

How does one explain away Ridley's inconsistent size?

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman

All these can be easily explained away via the uses of Super Mushrooms, Mega Mushrooms, Kamek's magic, the Vibe Scepter, the Power Stars, even his own body (Rump Command), etc.

Many characters are often having their sizes changed throughout the games. I'm guessing Ridley was made so in some games to make him more intimidating (I mean having a human sized ridley wouldn't really make him as defined in the 3D games in comparison to the old metroid games). Bowser showed this. Bowser Jr. also expressed an unusual size growth from Sunshine (where he was approximately Mario's size) to Mario Galaxy (where he is at least twice the size of Peach).

It's pretty odd with the whole size deal because even characters like Toad have been resized in various games. In the games that he is playable, he is almost the same size as Mario and the other human characters. In games such as Mario 64, he is half the size of even Mario. I guess it depends on the role and how the game designers visualize the characters and the background that they are in that relates to the size of a character.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Many characters are often having their sizes changed throughout the games. I'm guessing Ridley was made so in some games to make him more intimidating (I mean having a human sized ridley wouldn't really make him as defined in the 3D games in comparison to the old metroid games). Bowser showed this. Bowser Jr. also expressed an unusual size growth from Sunshine (where he was approximately Mario's size) to Mario Galaxy (where he is at least twice the size of Peach).

It's pretty odd with the whole size deal because even characters like Toad have been resized in various games. In the games that he is playable, he is almost the same size as Mario and the other human characters. In games such as Mario 64, he is half the size of even Mario. I guess it depends on the role and how the game designers visualize the characters and the background that they are in that relates to the size of a character.
About the Bowser Jr. thing, yeah at first you'd think he's just growing older, but then he's scaled down in nsmb wii. I agree with what you're saying--DK gets resized from time to time too.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Everyone's just inconsistent. And besides, if I remember right, the Ridley in Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Other M, and Fusion are all different clones.

I don't entirely remember, but the one in Other M grew up over the course of the game... The one in Fusion was a clone infected with the whatever-virus (never played Fusion), and the one in Metroid Prime was a robotic adjustment with minimal pieces of Ridley even still there.

And the bowser eating mushrooms is a sort of ridiculous excuse. Unless Bowser noms 'shrooms every evening for a surprise effect, his size has no good reason to fluxuate either.

And if he is using stuff to shrink or stuff to grow, why does he always use something to grow anyway? Just sayin'.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

In pretty much every game, he is either killed or severely wounded by samus. The space pirates then took his remains to either clone, reconfigure, or regenerate his lost tissue, so there is a good reason as to why his size is different.

majora_787

Smash Hero
In pretty much every game, he is either killed or severely wounded by samus. The space pirates then took his remains to either clone, reconfigure, or regenerate his lost tissue, so there is a good reason as to why his size is different.
I wouldn't be surprised if the original, real Ridley was the one from Metroid and Metroid Prime, and every Ridley since has been a clone. xD

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
For clarification:

Metroid Ridley = MP1 Ridley, MP3 Ridley

Ridley X = Just an X Parasite manifestation of Ridley in Metroid Fusion
Other M Ridley = An entirely different Ridley born at the station

The only one unaccounted for is Super Metroid Ridley, because there really is no tie from any other Ridleys to this one. Either he's a new Ridley like the Other M one or quite possibly a clone from the original Ridley, but I'm pretty sure he's not the original Ridley since the last version of the original Ridley, Omega Ridley, did in fact completely get destroyed without any remains whatsoever.

Then again, the Space Pirates can apparently resurrect him no matter what the circumstances, but who knows.

EDIT: On second thought, the release of Phazon from his body would return him to regular Ridley (though I don't know why he wouldn't retain his armor plating), so if he did survive MP3, that would account for his appearance in Super Metroid.

majora_787

Smash Hero
For clarification:

Metroid Ridley = MP1 Ridley, MP3 Ridley

Ridley X = Just an X Parasite manifestation of Ridley in Metroid Fusion
Other M Ridley = An entirely different Ridley born at the station

The only one unaccounted for is Super Metroid Ridley, because there really is no tie from any other Ridleys to this one. Either he's a new Ridley like the Other M one or quite possibly a clone from the original Ridley, but I'm pretty sure he's not the original Ridley since the last version of the original Ridley, Omega Ridley, did in fact completely get destroyed without any remains whatsoever.

Then again, the Space Pirates can apparently resurrect him no matter what the circumstances, but who knows.

EDIT: On second thought, the release of Phazon from his body would return him to regular Ridley (though I don't know why he wouldn't retain his armor plating), so if he did survive MP3, that would account for his appearance in Super Metroid.
But Metroid Prime, chronologically, comes after Metroid. o_O So Meta Ridley is an anamatronic reconstruction of Metroid Ridley.

And Corruption's Ridley wouldn't be the same, would it? x_x Was Ridley a re-enhanced Meta Ridley until the Seed, or was he Omega Ridley the entire time? It makes sense if he was Omega Ridley the whole time, considering he fell into the crater, but...

I dunno. I thought MP3 Ridley was a clone that got phazon-corruption. Or something.

Well then, I guess that means... It looks like this?
[M, MP1, MP3] = Original Ridley
[SM] = Ridley Clone 1
[MOM] = Newborn Ridley Clone 2
[MF] = Ridley Clone 3 with X Virus

Correct? And, I dunno what would have happened. I think that if Omega Ridley lost his phazon corruption, he would have reverted to Meta Ridley, not normal Ridley.

So, Super Metroid was most likely the first Ridley clone, and that's it.

And, off topic, I haven't gotten to Ridley in Super Metroid yet. xD I'm lost in Maridia or something. It's not very fun.

EDIT: The Metroid Wiki says Meta Ridley was repaired and given phazite armor for the assault on Norion, but wasn't Omega Ridley until the Leviathan Seed.

But... It's weird, because Zero Mission, which is a remake of Metroid, has a green Ridley. xD So, Zero Mission's Ridley makes no sense. =P

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
But Metroid Prime, chronologically, comes after Metroid. o_O So Meta Ridley is an anamatronic reconstruction of Metroid Ridley.
That's what I'm saying, chronologically, but it's the same Ridley. They just gave him armor basically.

And Corruption's Ridley wouldn't be the same, would it? x_x Was Ridley a re-enhanced Meta Ridley until the Seed, or was he Omega Ridley the entire time? It makes sense if he was Omega Ridley the whole time, considering he fell into the crater, but...

I dunno. I thought MP3 Ridley was a clone that got phazon-corruption. Or something.
They rebuilt Meta Ridley into Meta Ridley again, so its the same Ridley from before. He then becomes Omega Ridley when he falls and is corrupted by Phazon. He was never technically "Omega Ridley" until he becomes corrupted in MP3.

Well then, I guess that means... It looks like this?
[M, MP1, MP3] = Original Ridley
[SM] = Ridley Clone 1
[MOM] = Newborn Ridley Clone 2
[MF] = Ridley Clone 3 with X Virus

Correct? And, I dunno what would have happened. I think that if Omega Ridley lost his phazon corruption, he would have reverted to Meta Ridley, not normal Ridley.

So, Super Metroid was most likely the first Ridley clone, and that's it.
That's correct. And yeah, I believe it would make sense for him to return to Meta Ridley, but it's still possible that he went completely back to his original form. It may just be a property of the Phazon release or something. If not, then the SM Ridley is a clone.

And, off topic, I haven't gotten to Ridley in Super Metroid yet. xD I'm lost in Maridia or something. It's not very fun.

EDIT: The Metroid Wiki says Meta Ridley was repaired and given phazite armor for the assault on Norion, but wasn't Omega Ridley until the Leviathan Seed.

But... It's weird, because Zero Mission, which is a remake of Metroid, has a green Ridley. xD So, Zero Mission's Ridley makes no sense. =P
Yeah, he becomes corrupted after Norion, so when you fight him, he's already Omega Ridley, but didn't become Omega Ridley until after you fought him the firs time.

As for Zero Mission, I just think the coloration was just the graphical look of the game, to be honest. I still think it's the same Ridley, and it must be if its a remake (though people debate that time and time again).

majora_787

Smash Hero
And, the Ridley in Brawl is yet another Ridley clone who was turned into yet another Meta Ridley. Bwahaha.

ANYWAY. Alright. And if they ever make another Metroid Game that isn't a remake, which I really hope they do, then it'll probably have another Ridley that's another new size because it's another clone of Li'l Ridley from Metroid. =P

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
And, the Ridley in Brawl is yet another Ridley clone who was turned into yet another Meta Ridley. Bwahaha.

ANYWAY. Alright. And if they ever make another Metroid Game that isn't a remake, which I really hope they do, then it'll probably have another Ridley that's another new size because it's another clone of Li'l Ridley from Metroid. =P
The Brawl Ridley is a pretty tricky one, since technically he really doesn't fit anywhere into the chronology of Metroid because he just shows up since he feels like it. I'm sure he just became Meta Ridley for the sake of just doing it, so it really could be anything.

In terms of a new Metroid, which would follow Metroid Fusion hopefully (and let's use that example), he'll most likely be a descendant of either an Other M Ridley (since it could be likely that the GF actually has Ridleys now) or the successor of SM Ridley (if he actually died). Assuming that the MP3 Ridley did not become the SM Ridley, it's safe to say that lineage is dead.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The Brawl Ridley is a pretty tricky one, since technically he really doesn't fit anywhere into the chronology of Metroid because he just shows up since he feels like it. I'm sure he just became Meta Ridley for the sake of just doing it, so it really could be anything.

In terms of a new Metroid, which would follow Metroid Fusion hopefully (and let's use that example), he'll most likely be a descendant of either an Other M Ridley (since it could be likely that the GF actually has Ridleys now) or the successor of SM Ridley (if he actually died). Assuming that the MP3 Ridley did not become the SM Ridley, it's safe to say that lineage is dead.
I vote to believe that the original Ridley died with the seed, simply because it's Ridley in Super Metroid and not Meta Ridley.

And I was mostly kidding about the Smash Bros. thing, considering there's virtually no cannon in Brawl. There is, sort of, in SSB64 and SSBM though. The original Ridley made a cameo in Smash 64, and the Super Metroid Ridley made a cameo in Melee.

The Brawl Ridley is probably just Trophy Ridley, essentially. So Cannon doesn't apply. =P

So, we've established how he changes size so many times. ._. So, since size isn't an issue, and Ridley was even confirmed as possible by developers... And hell, he got pretty high on the character polls... in JAPAN no less, where he's not as popular... And let's not forget that he's shown up in smash games as many times as Samus, funnily enough...

If the next Smash game has any justice in this world, Ridley should be made into a playable character in SSB4. I mean, worst case scenario, he's the Mewtwo of SSB4. Not that it matters, I'd still use him. =P

So...

+ Major, recurring antagonist of a high-end Nintendo franchise
+ Was confirmed as 'possible to make playable' by Sakurai (I think it was Sakurai. Not sure.)
+ Scored high on a poll to see what characters would make it in Brawl. Very high. Higher than Lucas, just under Dedede, if I remember.
+ Metroid, for all intents and purposes, is more deserving of a third representative than Star Fox, and Star Fox got their third representative. So, why not add Ridley?

And, the fans love him, and that's what Smash is all about; fanservice.

EDIT: If he died? Looks pretty dead to me. It'll probably just be yet another home-grown Ridley, since apparently both the Space Pirates and the Galactic Federation make them now. xD

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I didn't read through everything I missed, so I've just got a couple brief comments to throw out there based on the discussions I've read while skimming.

1) I've always thought that Dixie Kong was a more likely candidate than King K. Rool, but when you pair the popularity of the two, King K. Rool is far ahead. I just think Dixie Kong being paired with Diddy next time around is pretty likely, considering thats what Sakurai was shooting for in Brawl and he seems to like the idea. It's unique, possibly like a combination between the Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik, and it's another two-for-one character slot. Then I thought, why not have them both? King K. Rool are both popular, recognizable, and important to their series... we all agree that there aren't many other major Nintendo characters left, so with these two charcaters who each have something going for them, why not both? I admit this isn't as likely, I'd like to see it happen, but my personal bets are on either one or the other. Wouldn't be surprised to see both, though.

2) I don't like discussing character candidates for Metroid because its so controversial. The only major recurring Metroid character left who isn't a one-shot or outdated is Ridley, and I'm sure most of us are familiar with Sakurai's comments on Ridley being "too big" to be playable. He's ignored the fans for the past two games now, will he ignore them again? Or will he finally give in? Personally, I think it could work. It would look a bit out of place, but it could work.

3) So, why is it that Toad has absolutely no chance again? In my opinion, Toad is one of the most likely Mario characters to get in the next game, if not THE most likely. I used think it was Bowser Jr., but the way Toad's role has been becoming more important in recent games and how Bowser Jr. is becoming a minor character is starting to change my mind. Don't tell me it's because Toad is too "generic" or something....

4) This is a random thought of my own, but it came to me as I was introducing my little brother to the wonders of Melee. I watched the opening video (as I often do when I turn on the game) and wondered why SSB and SSBM had brilliant, amazing, cinematic opening scenes, and then Brawl is just a bunch of gameplay videos and Subspace cutscenes thrown together. We need something similar to or better than Melee's opening video to make-up for Brawl's failure. I know I'm being nitpicky, but I just remember my extreme disappointment when I first saw Brawl's opening video.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What about Manthony Higgs? It's not like he was killed off, there's a good chance he would show up in a post-Fusion game, and everyone loves him.

And some of you know nothing about Metroid. Aside from Fusion's X clone, it's the same Ridley each time. Why else would Samus freak out seeing him in Other M? Because he died on a planet that later explodes, making him deader than dead.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I vote to believe that the original Ridley died with the seed, simply because it's Ridley in Super Metroid and not Meta Ridley.

And I was mostly kidding about the Smash Bros. thing, considering there's virtually no cannon in Brawl. There is, sort of, in SSB64 and SSBM though. The original Ridley made a cameo in Smash 64, and the Super Metroid Ridley made a cameo in Melee.

The Brawl Ridley is probably just Trophy Ridley, essentially. So Cannon doesn't apply. =P

So, we've established how he changes size so many times. ._. So, since size isn't an issue, and Ridley was even confirmed as possible by developers... And hell, he got pretty high on the character polls... in JAPAN no less, where he's not as popular... And let's not forget that he's shown up in smash games as many times as Samus, funnily enough...

If the next Smash game has any justice in this world, Ridley should be made into a playable character in SSB4. I mean, worst case scenario, he's the Mewtwo of SSB4. Not that it matters, I'd still use him. =P

So...

+ Major, recurring antagonist of a high-end Nintendo franchise
+ Was confirmed as 'possible to make playable' by Sakurai (I think it was Sakurai. Not sure.)
+ Scored high on a poll to see what characters would make it in Brawl. Very high. Higher than Lucas, just under Dedede, if I remember.
+ Metroid, for all intents and purposes, is more deserving of a third representative than Star Fox, and Star Fox got their third representative. So, why not add Ridley?

And, the fans love him, and that's what Smash is all about; fanservice.

EDIT: If he died? Looks pretty dead to me. It'll probably just be yet another home-grown Ridley, since apparently both the Space Pirates and the Galactic Federation make them now. xD
So yeah, overall, Ridley should be playable. xD

I didn't read through everything I missed, so I've just got a couple brief comments to throw out there based on the discussions I've read while skimming.

1) I've always thought that Dixie Kong was a more likely candidate than King K. Rool, but when you pair the popularity of the two, King K. Rool is far ahead. I just think Dixie Kong being paired with Diddy next time around is pretty likely, considering thats what Sakurai was shooting for in Brawl and he seems to like the idea. It's unique, possibly like a combination between the Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik, and it's another two-for-one character slot. Then I thought, why not have them both? King K. Rool are both popular, recognizable, and important to their series... we all agree that there aren't many other major Nintendo characters left, so with these two charcaters who each have something going for them, why not both? I admit this isn't as likely, I'd like to see it happen, but my personal bets are on either one or the other. Wouldn't be surprised to see both, though.
Diddy definitely should not be put together with Dixie, he's fine as a stand-alone character, and overall K Rool is a much better choice than Dixie. I really don't see what the point of adding a female Diddy is.

2) I don't like discussing character candidates for Metroid because its so controversial. The only major recurring Metroid character left who isn't a one-shot or outdated is Ridley, and I'm sure most of us are familiar with Sakurai's comments on Ridley being "too big" to be playable. He's ignored the fans for the past two games now, will he ignore them again? Or will he finally give in? Personally, I think it could work. It would look a bit out of place, but it could work.
Which is why Ridley should be playable, he's really the only one left except Dark Samus, who would work just fine.

What about Manthony Higgs? It's not like he was killed off, there's a good chance he would show up in a post-Fusion game, and everyone loves him.

And some of you know nothing about Metroid. Aside from Fusion's X clone, it's the same Ridley each time. Why else would Samus freak out seeing him in Other M? Because he died on a planet that later explodes, making him deader than dead.
Eh, he's really just another character. Might as well add a manga bounty hunter because they sorta fit the same role.

Also, yeah we sorta established that it is the same Ridley every time except Fusion, but the Other M Ridley is not the same Ridley either, so you're actually wrong. I mean, they pretty much tell you that its not the same Ridley. It's one of the most obvious things in the game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just a few things.

1. There were no comments on Ridley being too big. There were, however, comments that said he'd be "possible, but really slow." Paraphrasing.

2. Out of place? This game is all about nintendo fanservice. They can't just neglect Metroid fans, that's a Microsoft move. r_r

3. What ABOUT Anthony Higgs? He was a character who appeared in one game and was added to add some depth to Samus' character. That's about it. Even Dark Samus gets more credit than that.

4. So many reasons. Explain to me how they can "heal" Ridley in time for Super Metroid, when he was so fscked up in Metroid Prime that only his jaw and upper limbs were not mechanical?

And, she'd freak out because it's a clone of Ridley. It may not be the original Ridley, but it's Ridley. And Ridley is Ridley is Ridley. The only possible exception to that rule would be Ridley X, because of the virus, but even still, it's Ridley.

5. Dixie and Diddy would be cool enough on their own, and don't need to ride the Ice Climber gimmick. Seriously. And also, K. Rool > Dixie IMHO.

6. And mix that with Sheik? What, a DK Barrel from DK64? xD I'd rather have K. Rool from DK64. Juuust sayin.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Diddy definitely should not be put together with Dixie, he's fine as a stand-alone character, and overall K Rool is a much better choice than Dixie. I really don't see what the point of adding a female Diddy is.
Why shouldn't they be paired? This apparently was the plan in Brawl. It's a great way to represent or pay pay homage to the Donkey Kong Country series, in which the protagonists were paired up, switching out the leader whenever the player wished.

I don't see a reason to not include her because she is a "female Diddy." Luigi is a green Mario. If you are trying to say that they chances of Dixie being a clone are quite high, I beg to differ. Her ponytail twirl signature move is a great example of a move unique from any of Diddy's. She could also borrow Diddy's banana peel toss if the Down-B is used to swap characters. The use of her ponytail, in my opinion, greatly decreases her chances of becoming a clone. If "clonish" at all, she'd be a semi-clone (luigified).

Also, for the record, I have no personal bias for either of the two characters (Dixie Kong and King K. Rool). I'm only torn between them, because they each have equal chances, the way I see it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I really think Dixie should stand on her own. If people want to go by the tagteam aspect of DKC2 as a reason why they want her and Diddy together, then DKCR can contradict that because of the Banjo-Kazooie/Mario and FLUDD/Ratchet & Clank teamwork that DK and Diddy had. Its the most recent DK game. K.Rool is more popular though, and hopefully SSB4 includes them both.

3) So, why is it that Toad has absolutely no chance again? In my opinion, Toad is one of the most likely Mario characters to get in the next game, if not THE most likely. I used think it was Bowser Jr., but the way Toad's role has been becoming more important in recent games and how Bowser Jr. is becoming a minor character is starting to change my mind. Don't tell me it's because Toad is too "generic" or something....

Toad has no chance? Since when? He's still got potential and so does Bowser's eighth kid. I don't see how Bowser Jr. is becoming minor though--you fight him often in the Mario games, such as Galaxy 1 and 2, and the NSMB games, and he's in the spinoffs.
Comments in yellow.

Why else would Samus freak out seeing him in Other M? Because he died on a planet that later explodes, making him deader than dead.
...According to fans, the reason why Samus freaked out was because of how Team Ninja portrayed her. From what I understand, Other M takes place at a time when Samus was used to fighting (and killing?) Ridley, so seeing him again shouldn't have been so startling.

I agree with the standalone thing, but I hope Dixie and Rool both get in. I feel that K.Rool deserves the spot more.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know much as to K. Rool's and Dixie's histories in the DK subseries, so excuse me for putting K. Rool higher on my wish list. xD

But, I just don't like the idea of THREE CHARACTERS having a "two character" gimmick, and the third being a combination of any kind of the first two. It'd sort of be like, if we got Mario, Luigi stayed a clone, we kept Dr. Mario, and then got Paper Mario, who somehow ends up a clone of Mario. We have four characters who are gimmicked to be, for all intents and purposes, Mario. And that's a little... Ugh.

EDIT: I'll be honest. I didn't like Samus'... really, admittedly, girly reaction to Ridley in Other M. However, I like the idea of him being attached to childhood trauma, and sort of stand as the one barrier that she always has to work to climb. Something that causes her to be paranoid about finding a new Ridley every time she takes a bounty. Something that sticks with her forever.

But I do not think that merits a "break down on the spot and take a cheap shot recreating Brawl" moment.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Majora
As I said, he is popular with Metroid fans last I checked, Sure he may or may not be a one time character, but he is popular. I see him as kind of an offensive Snake.

As for Ridley being healed in Super. One thing you have to realize with recurring villains that their return doesn't necessarily need an explanation for coming back. Also, it's stated in the manga, and indirectly in Other M, that Ridley needs to eat in order to heal. He even mentions to Samus that he ate her mother's charred corpse.

@BirthNote
Samus was said in the manga to suffer from PTSD from the day Ridley raided her planet. The way PTSD works is random. Sometimes, you may not exprience it if the conditions are right and other times you will. From how I interpreted that scene, Samus viewed Ridley's seemingly impossible resurrection as a personal demon she can never truly get rid of, no matter what she does.

majora_787

Smash Hero
@Majora
As I said, he is popular with Metroid fans last I checked, Sure he may or may not be a one time character, but he is popular. I see him as kind of an offensive Snake.

As for Ridley being healed in Super. One thing you have to realize with recurring villains that their return doesn't necessarily need an explanation for coming back. Also, it's stated in the manga, and indirectly in Other M, that Ridley needs to eat in order to heal. He even mentions to Samus that he ate her mother's charred corpse.
I never said he wasn't popular. He just isn't as popular or as relevant as Ridley.

May or may not? Are you playing Metroid games from the future or something?

And you dub him a version of Snake based off WHAT, other than that huge thing he carries around? x_x That's not exactly comparable to Snake's rockets, it's a lot more heavy-duty.

And eat to heal? There is almost nothing left to heal in the Original Ridley, unless he ate so much that he healed over the mechanical attachments. And I think Metroid deserves credit, they TRY to make a reasonable reason for every bad guy coming back. Ridley being cloned after there's nothing left is his.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
@Majora
He really has nothing in common with Snake at all except that he has weapons like every other soldier in the entire Galactic Federation Army has.
Samus was said in the manga to suffer from PTSD from the day Ridley raided her planet. The way PTSD works is random. Sometimes, you may not exprience it if the conditions are right and other times you will. From how I interpreted that scene, Samus viewed Ridley's seemingly impossible resurrection as a personal demon she can never truly get rid of, no matter what she does.
Can we just be real here and accept the fact that Team Ninja just didn't handle the character correctly? I think Samus should have been somewhat aware of the fact that the creature in the station was a form of Ridley, or at the very least a good threat. I mean, come on, how many people were really surprised when, "omg its ridley where did he come from i didnt notice". It was obviously going to be Ridley.

Besides, yeah it's random, but for her to just be struck like that is so convenient that its obvious they just did it on purpose. Team Ninja just did that for story's sake and for whatever other reasons they had.

Even if it was PTSD, that doesn't prove at all that its the same Ridley, as its already been clearly noted that it isn't. Samus was just portrayed as a whiny ***** in that game.

Moving back to Dixie, Dixie again shouldn't even be added over K Rool, but if she were, it wouldn't make sense to take a legitimate character and completely overhaul him just for the sake of having a partner that is exactly the same but lacking male genitalia.

EDIT: @Spyder, the distinctions between Luigi and Mario and Dixie and Diddy are probably a bit bigger than you think, but even if they aren't in a subjective matter, it's clear why someone of Luigi's status is included and Dixie is not. Plus, regardless of the fact that they may or may not have been planned to be together, Diddy works fine by himself (third best character in the game, get em) and there's no reason to make him into one of the Monkey Ice Climbers, as it were.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@Majora

@BirthNote
I am very active in the Metroid fanbase, and I can say that Other M (and the characters introduced in it) is very hated by a large portion of it. Most of Higg's "popularity" comes from a meme ("Remembah me?"). I have seen quite a few posters voice strong opinions against Higgs, Adam, and the other characters introduced in Other M. Other M is also quite possibly the least popular game in the series not named Metroid Prime Hunters.

Really, the only Metroid character that is popularly requested for Smash Bros. is Ridley. Once in a while I see someone request Dark Samus.

The only "problem" with Ridley is "size". Ridley pretty much has the greatest resume of any Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros. However, I do realize that Sakurai is bone-headed enough to keep Ridley as a boss or think he is unsuitable for playable status. As it currently stands though, Ridley was that only characters that Sakurai has commented regarding their exclusion from the Brawl roster after Brawl's release.

Toad also has a surprisingly strong "resume" but is primarily hurt by the fact that he is pretty much irrelevant in the 3-D platformers and has strong competition for a possible spot from Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario.

Little Mac might also be considered to have a good "resume" primarily to the level of popularity of the NES Punch-Out (its always among the Top 10 purchased Virtual Console games each week), and the long-running nature of Punch-Out. Though he could be hurt by the weak popularity of the series in Japan.

K. Rool and Dixie Kong both are on the edge. I think if one of the two were to have a prominent role in a major Donkey Kong title before development on Smash 4 begins they could very much be a "shoe-in". However, outside of the low-budget PAON developed DK titles and Mario Sports spinofss (primarily baseball), Dixie and K. Rool have pretty much been absent from the series since Rare left Nintendo. It is possible though at this point for Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to be made considering that the Wii 2 will likely release in late 2012, which gives Retro 1.5 years to release a DKCR2. Right now, both K. Rool and Dixie Kong are both in danger of going the way of Donkey Kong Junior, so an appearance in a big budget DK title is imperative for them.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Coming from a hardcore DK64 fan, Lanky Kong would be a much more unique character to add, than Dixie. He would be the like Dhalsim of Smash (I'm not trying to start a SF v. SSB fight, cause we all know Battle Arena Toshiden is the ****). Lanky's tether would be top tier btw. . . But, Dixie would be unique enough, to be her own character and not a clone. Lol, I'm quietly rooting for her.

Whoever thought of that playable Mii option, a few hundred pages ago, is a genius! This should replace Stage Builder. I can see coins being used to purchase attacks. That would be awesome.

No tripping would be awesome, too. I hope the developers stop trying to add new things to the series, and instead build on what the community has found/explioted (that is such a weird word, lol). Like, add Wavedashing but, maybe give it another name and assign it to the Y button. Same with Z/L cancel. Brawl's version of pivoting has to go. So does Brawl's air dodge. The air dodge is what really killed the game, imo. I hope they decide to go old school with the gameplay and controls, instead of going with the trend and making things extra simlple.

And add the Mystical Ninja for crying out loud. Snake made an intimidating appearance. It's time for Goemon to whip out his golden peace pipe and throw money, making it rain on his enemies. The dude's head looks like a pineapple. How can you deny him a spot on the roster, Sakurai?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, with news the Wii will be getting a new Dragon Quest Collection (Dragon Quest I-III) in celebration of the series 25th anniversary. With that, I'll unveil my selection of music for a potential Dragon Quest stage. Just keep in mind the setting will probably be a castle or tower; more specifically Zenithia, the floating castle in the sky.

Dragon Quest: Overture http://youtu.be/JuWp5a2m11w
Dragon Quest I: Chateau Ladutorm http://youtu.be/am1nHQif7Qw
Dragon Quest II: Endless World http://youtu.be/i80XflvzCec
Dragon Quest III: Fighting Spirit http://youtu.be/18fqfGcr3PI
Dragon Quest IV: Battle For The Glory http://youtu.be/kO4YnLJvSSg
Dragon Quest V: Almighty Boss Devil is Challenged http://youtu.be/8GqRSg_L_9o
Dragon Quest VI: Monsters http://youtu.be/S74EWmk1H_s
Dragon Quest VII: World of the Strong http://youtu.be/KlhuRbTu7pM
Dragon Quest VIII: Great Battle in the Vast Sky http://youtu.be/_VkVnwfLsiw
Dragon Quest XI: The Observatory http://youtu.be/myjd1MnZx5Y
Dragon Quest X - *obligatory track here*
Dragon Quest III: Zoma http://youtu.be/woMc_vJ6tSg
Dragon Quest VI: Pegasus http://youtu.be/wc1TDOwr1YI

Most obviously I chose battle tunes, but I al chose a couple of songs that emphasize different moods. "Pegasus" is more tranquil that is befitting to a castle floating in the sky. "Chateau Laudutorm" is your baroque composition that conveys the regal splendor of the castle. "Endless World" is probably the best world map theme from the entire series. "The Observatory" has more a sadness to the song, which given the storyline is pretty accurate. "Overture" is the main Dragon Quest theme present within every game, enough said. Everything else is your standard sword clashing, claw scrathing fare!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Moving back to Dixie, Dixie again shouldn't even be added over K Rool, but if she were, it wouldn't make sense to take a legitimate character and completely overhaul him just for the sake of having a partner that is exactly the same but lacking male genitalia.

EDIT: @Spyder, the distinctions between Luigi and Mario and Dixie and Diddy are probably a bit bigger than you think, but even if they aren't in a subjective matter, it's clear why someone of Luigi's status is included and Dixie is not. Plus, regardless of the fact that they may or may not have been planned to be together, Diddy works fine by himself (third best character in the game, get em) and there's no reason to make him into one of the Monkey Ice Climbers, as it were.
The only thing I disagree with is Diddy and Dixie being exactly the same. Rare had a habit of editing Kongs to make new ones (Funky), but even with that in mind, Diddy and Dixie are different. She doesn't have wooden guns or rocketbarrels, she's slower than Diddy on foot but better while airborne, and her ponytail is prehensile. She's basically a monkey with an arm growing out of her head that's surprisingly strong--you can tell they were hinting at that with her Brawl trophy. K.Rool's a better choice because he's more popular, and I hope they both get in. However, I would like for her and Diddy to be separate because, like you said, Diddy's good on his own.

K. Rool and Dixie Kong both are on the edge. I think if one of the two were to have a prominent role in a major Donkey Kong title before development on Smash 4 begins they could very much be a "shoe-in". However, outside of the low-budget PAON developed DK titles and Mario Sports spinofss (primarily baseball), Dixie and K. Rool have pretty much been absent from the series since Rare left Nintendo. It is possible though at this point for Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to be made considering that the Wii 2 will likely release in late 2012, which gives Retro 1.5 years to release a DKCR2. Right now, both K. Rool and Dixie Kong are both in danger of going the way of Donkey Kong Junior, so an appearance in a big budget DK title is imperative for them.
About a DKCR2...:( http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/03/no-sequel-planned-for-donkey-kong-country-returns.aspx?PageIndex=1

The good news is that there COULD be a sequel, but not anytime soon apparently.

Coming from a hardcore DK64 fan, Lanky Kong would be a much more unique character to add, than Dixie. He would be the like Dhalsim of Smash (I'm not trying to start a SF v. SSB fight, cause we all know Battle Arena Toshiden is the ****). Lanky's tether would be top tier btw. . . But, Dixie would be unique enough, to be her own character and not a clone. Lol, I'm quietly rooting for her.
Lanky is unique, but he's also obscure compared to K.Rool and Dixie.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Apparently Retro Studios is working on "what everyone wants us to be working on."

So that's either a new Metroid game, DKCR2, or really just any game they want because people adore all of Retro's releases.

Which is a very vague answer. But I've been told it is, in fact, going to be DKCR2.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Starphoenix

I cannot help but feel a little bit disappointed that this Dragon Quest collection will only have the NES and SNES versions of the first three games. It would have been great if they were remade like the DS games, but with one screen. It is like having both NES and SNES version of the Super Mario Bros. trilogy in one disc. :-p

But either way, this is yet another example of Nintendo and Square Enix's efforts to popularize the Dragon Quest series outside of Japan. I am beginning to think that it is very possible that we could very well get a Dragon Quest character in SSB4. I would be fine with Slime (but I like the Chocobo & Slime team more) but I don't see how Slime could work in Smash due to lack of arms - and Sakurai already turned down Mr. Saturn because he had no arms. :(

@ the Donkey Kong characters

I really want both Dixie Kong and King K. Rool so bad. Adding them would make the Donkey Kong series feel complete to me. For me, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool were the stars of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy back in the 1990's.

What I want from this series in Smash is for Donkey Kong to remain solo as he is the main character of the whole series. I also want Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong to team up and be able to switch positions for different moves to represent the gameplay of the Donkey Kong Country games and to pay homage to Donkey Kong Country 2, arguably the most popular game of the trilogy. They would be like a cross between Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik due to teaming up and switching positions for different moves.

I want King K. Rool in because he is the main villain of the original trilogy, he is physically viable as a Smash fighter than Tiki Tong will be (he's like Andross), and his moveset could incorporate many elements from his various identities such as the gun from Kaptain K. Rool and the helicopter-pack from Baron K. Roolenstein in addition to his own boomerang-like crown.

@ Toad in Smash

Toad is the only Mario character I really want the most. I feel that the Mario series isn't complete without Toad. He is like the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle to me. I am sure he would bring something new in Smash. A small and speedy lightweight fighter with poor jumping prowess but he makes up with his mushroom-themed specials and his seemingly superhuman strength.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Honestly, Toad wouldn't be that bad of an addition. I like having small characters in the game that aren't Metaknight.

At the same time, anyone who says Ridley's size makes him unviable is being ridiculous. He's honestly the most deserving non-Smasher out there.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly, Toad wouldn't be that bad of an addition. I like having small characters in the game that aren't Metaknight.

At the same time, anyone who says Ridley's size makes him unviable is being ridiculous. He's honestly the most deserving non-Smasher out there.
Toad would be okay, but I think we should focus on other series. Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda have the most roster space of anyone.

And it was said that Ridley is possible as a playable character by *I think* Sakurai, I'm pretty sure it was him. But obviously, he doesn't like the idea enough, regardless of what fans want.

The way I see it, if we're lucky, Brawl will be Sakurai's last, and Smash will be given back to HAL, then we'll hear that a new Smash game is entering development around e3 this year or is in development at e3 next year. After that, since Sakurai's not in on it to complain about it, Ridley will get added into the game.

If we're lucky, of course. =P

Oh, and I thought Adam was made in Fusion? o_O Correct me if I'm wrong. It was just Anthony that was made for Other M?

ANYWAY...

EDIT: Actually, maybe not HAL. Maybe a new group or something. Cuz apparently HAL is making moar Kirby right now. xD

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Toad is the only Mario character I really want the most. I feel that the Mario series isn't complete without Toad. He is like the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle to me. I am sure he would bring something new in Smash. A small and speedy lightweight fighter with poor jumping prowess but he makes up with his mushroom-themed specials and his seemingly superhuman strength.
I agree. Honestly, I hope Nintendo keeps up their multiplayer ideas for the Mario series (Miyamoto has always liked it) after NSMB Wii as that gives Toad a stronger purpose to appear in the games as he would likely appear as a playable character. In terms of Jr., I feel that his roles have actually been declining in comparison to SMS and NSMB. He still has a big role, but Toad is definitely up there with him as the new reps for the Mario series. Hopefully, one of these two (even both of them) can make it to the next game. I just hope that they don't get shafted in case Dr.Mario comes back (considering that he was possibly cut from Brawl). Make him a skin for Mario, but not a character as Toad and Jr. definitely deserve to be playable.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@ Starphoenix

I cannot help but feel a little bit disappointed that this Dragon Quest collection will only have the NES and SNES versions of the first three games. It would have been great if they were remade like the DS games, but with one screen. It is like having both NES and SNES version of the Super Mario Bros. trilogy in one disc. :-p

But either way, this is yet another example of Nintendo and Square Enix's efforts to popularize the Dragon Quest series outside of Japan. I am beginning to think that it is very possible that we could very well get a Dragon Quest character in SSB4. I would be fine with Slime (but I like the Chocobo & Slime team more) but I don't see how Slime could work in Smash due to lack of arms - and Sakurai already turned down Mr. Saturn because he had no arms. :(
Well I envision Slime working a little like Shuma Gorath in MvC3, minus the tentacles. Since he is gelatinous it gives him the ability to stretch, morph, and puff his body. Not to mention Slime has magical abilities as well. Between the Dragon Quest games, the Rocket Slime series and off hand apperances like in Mario Sports Mix. Those little guys are a little more versatile than you think. If not Slime I already proposed Erdrick as another option.

If nothing else, at the least, I'm sure we will be getting a stage. Which is my reason for posting my music suggestions.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think toad's role has really changed, at all. I mean sure, two toads were playable for NSMBWii but only because they needed 3 & 4 player. At least Bowser Jr's role has been consistantly the same. I mean he takes the job as semi boss in every main game he is in. Toad takes the role as: Player 3/4, scared citizen, and old guy. . . Speaking of NSMBWii, most of oads moves are capablitites Mario and Luigi technically have as well, nothing unique to his name. (Not including much older games of course) While we have bowser Jr. whose weapons are consistantly becoming more in-depth. We have Paintbrushes, Fireballs, and mechas!

Oh, and don't forget he has Paper Mario on his tail as well! When comparing the three, it is a close call I won't lie. But I see both Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario a tad more in the lead. At least PM could rep the Mario RPG series.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If the Slime actually were like that, I totally wouldn't mind. xD Sounds like it'd be fun.
He'd be a technical fighter who would primarily attack with his body or distance magic attack. The closest comparison I could find to convey my idea is Shuma-Gorath, minus tentacles and lasers, add magic and elongated body lashes.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and don't forget he has Paper Mario on his tail as well! When comparing the three, it is a close call I won't lie. But I see both Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario a tad more in the lead. At least PM could rep the Mario RPG series.
Toad is probably in the same equal level as his time of existence and popularity are definitely more larger than the other two combined (well at least in Japan). His game roles have been increased as well recently. The fact that they chose Toads as playable characters in NSMB Wii signifies that they do have interest in using Toad as a playable character. I'm not trying to make an argument, but I think that Toad still has a chance of being in the same position as Jr. and Paper Mario to becoming a rep in SSB4.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Toad would be okay, but I think we should focus on other series. Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda have the most roster space of anyone.

And it was said that Ridley is possible as a playable character by *I think* Sakurai, I'm pretty sure it was him. But obviously, he doesn't like the idea enough, regardless of what fans want.

The way I see it, if we're lucky, Brawl will be Sakurai's last, and Smash will be given back to HAL, then we'll hear that a new Smash game is entering development around e3 this year or is in development at e3 next year. After that, since Sakurai's not in on it to complain about it, Ridley will get added into the game.

If we're lucky, of course. =P

Oh, and I thought Adam was made in Fusion? o_O Correct me if I'm wrong. It was just Anthony that was made for Other M?

ANYWAY...

EDIT: Actually, maybe not HAL. Maybe a new group or something. Cuz apparently HAL is making moar Kirby right now. xD
As far as I know, both Sakurai and HAL have nothing to do with the next installments.

Also, Anthony was only in Other M. Adam has been part of the series for a while. He died in Other M and was an AI in Fusion.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

Completely overhaul him? The only change he'd undergo if he was paired with Dixie Kong is the removal of his Down-B move... and even that could be given to Dixie as one of her own Special moves. And again, I don't know what you're getting at with your comments regarding Dixie being "exactly the same [as Diddy] but lacking male genitalia.

Sure, Diddy works fine by himself. Who says you'd be forced to use Dixie Kong? And my whole idea about it being a combination between the Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik was just an idea, not something that I expect to see happening. Perhaps Dixie (or Diddy) could just follow along in the background or behind the lead character, not attacking at all and being impervious to all other attacks until they are switched out. Or maybe both characters will attack, like the Ice Climbers. Or maybe only the lead character will attack, but the following character can be KO'd so that the lead character can not swap until he (or she) gets KO'd themselves. It was just an idea. If the two are paired together, there are many ways they could fight, it just depends on who designs them.

I just don't want people to shut out the possibility that Dixie could be paired with Diddy. Whether anyone likes it or not, it was the plan for Brawl, and it definitely CAN happen. Samus got Zero Suit Samus. Also, like I said before, although it is more unlikely, there is a chance that both characters could appear in the game.

REGARDING TOAD AND OTHER MARIO CHARACTERS:

The only three Mario characters that really have a chance of appearing are Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario. Personally, I expect to see something like a Paper Mario stage rather than the character. Bowser Jr. and Toad are much higher on the list the way I see it.

The reason I said that Bowser Jr. has become a minor character is because of the path he has taken since his first appearance. The first game he was in (Super Mario Sunshine), he actually had a pretty big role in the story and he instantly became a popular character. Ever since then, though, he's been appearing as a sub-boss of Mario platformers, and not appearing all that often either, much less being an important part of the story. I feel like his best chances were in Brawl.

Now say what you want about Toad's appearance in NSMBWii. So it was because the game needed a third and fourth player for co-op play.... Toad was still playable in a well-know and popular Mario platformer. I think this had a big part in increasing Toad's popularity, as did the Toad Brigade in Super Mario Galaxy (although definitely not as much). Although those are only minor points, let's not forget that Toad has been a popular and familiar character within the series since the very beginning. I feel he is very iconic of the Mario series, and can be recognized by many people around the world, gamer or not. Also, let's not forget that he is the only character of the "Mario Big 8" (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Wario, and TOAD) to not make a playable appearance in Smash. Just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom