• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Shortie
I remember a lot of people wanting Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard in Brawl. They likely went with Ivysaur so as to make it "more even". It' be a little odd for some to see two of them as their first stage and the other as its last stage.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie
I remember a lot of people wanting Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard in Brawl. They likely went with Ivysaur so as to make it "more even". It' be a little odd for some to see two of them as their first stage and the other as its last stage.
No I understand that part, just Ivysaur as a Pokemon wasn't that popular. For the sake of the trio, I get that. I actually do recall a loooot of people liking Bulbasaur.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
No I understand that part, just Ivysaur as a Pokemon wasn't that popular. For the sake of the trio, I get that. I actually do recall a loooot of people liking Bulbasaur.
Yeah, that is true that Bulbasaur has a big fanbase, especially since he is #1 on the Pokedex. However choosing between evolutions for each Pokemon, Charmander's evolutions of Charmeleon and Charizard would definitely grant Charizard as being the obvious choice. Simply because Charmeleon is probably the least-known second evolution out of the three starters. In addition, Charizard is the only 3rd evolution out of all three that would allow the players the ability to fly. I also cannot see Charmander nor Charmeleon being in the game simply because I cannot even fathom what kind of moveset either of them would have.

While looking at Squirtle compared to Bulbasaur, I am fairly certain Squirtle would win in terms of popularity amongst the players. Especially considering Charizard taking the 3rd evolution slot over Blastoise which would in turn only leave Wartortle. I'm fairly sure a lot of people would be complaining at the decision of Wartortle over Squirtle if that were to happen. Just like players would likely complain if Charmander or Charmeleon won the slot over Charizard.

Which leaves Ivysaur taking the slot for the 2nd evolution Pokemon. Even though Bulbsaur is likeable, a lot of people seem to consider him being the weakest out of all 1st evolution starters, especially compared to Squirtle who is a popular choice. So really in conclusion, I believe it was simply luck of the draw for Ivysaur. However, this is just my two-cents about it. :p

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Kuma: To be fair, isn't that what Ash still has after like 10 years?

@Shortie: "Big Eight" is some crap Arc says to drum up Toad support. Unless you're talking about some other eight.

@guy above me: I distinctly recall at least one Pokemon Company poll that proves you right on the Squirtle/Charizard popularity bit. And I think Sakurai figured Ivysaur would work better specifically as a middleweight, maybe showing some love for the oft-ignored middle children too.

despite my username, I always chose Bulbasaur

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: To be fair, isn't that what Ash still has after like 10 years?
You mean him having Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard? Technically, that doesn't really matter. Ash may be based off the Pokemon Trainer, but the Pokemon Trainer isn't Ash so he doesn't have to follow the anime if that's what you're implying.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
About Pichu, I have a story for it...

Back when Brawl was coming out, I followed updates on smashbros.com everyday. One of Sakurai's updates featured costume changes, and in that update of the dojo's Pikachu was involved. There was a screenshot of it wearing blue goggles, and Sakurai's comment was:

"Those goggles. I've seen them before somewhere..."

A lot of Melee players have seen those before too-- they were one of Pichu's alternate costumes. And doesn't Pikachu have one of Pichu's taunts? The way it rolls around on the floor...

With a lot of time between Melee and Brawl, Pichu could've evolved, meaning there may be 2 Pikachus or one and a Raichu. We obviously only have one who made it in. If that's the case, maybe Pichu made it into Brawl after all...

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You mean him having Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard? Technically, that doesn't really matter. Ash may be based off the Pokemon Trainer, but the Pokemon Trainer isn't Ash so he doesn't have to follow the anime if that's what you're implying.
Meant that there was at least some precedent for those people to suggest Bulbasaur and have it kinda make sense. I always thought Ivysaur was the right way to go though, so meh.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I think that PT should have One Pokemon from the 1st 3 generations. Make Squrtal his own charater and Replace Lucario with Mewtwo. PT could havce Charizard Bayleaf and Mudkip.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, I never liked the Big Eight anyhow, it was always used as if those characters are all that mattered.
Besides, this is Official (And up-to-date) Nintendo artwork that has seemingly the most important characters from Mario all waving and thankning you:
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/shortiecanbrawl/?action=view&current=youwont.jpg
(Sorry for the bad quality, it was spurr of the moment and it's wedged between a NSMBWii Poster and a Lady Gaga Poker Face Poster and I'm too lazy to turn the lights on.)

Some nights I lay around pondering the future of Smash, and I wonder if we will get our voices heard when it comes to suggestion? Also, does anyone know if the Melee poll was fans, or Nintendo workers? The poll had a small roster of characters asked for, and they were pretty smart picks. I liked that poll, mostly because it seemed whoever was voted on the most got in. . . and because Bomberman had more votes then Sonic AND Megaman. w00t. Also, Gooey got a lot of votes, and I have a secret love for the anthropomorphic jelly bean man.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I just remembered why they added PT as red because Fire red/Leaf Green were popular.

Logically the new SSB will include Black/White trainer

the pokemons will be:

Snivy: Which the fastest of them

Dewott : the most popular second stage pokemon I ever knew because alot of ppl dislike the third stage altho (Samurott is my favorite)

Emboar : Powerful attack and slow perfect for third stage pokemon.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Jaladora should be the final evolution if they do that (the snake) It probably won't happen.
Mudkip would be AMAZING

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
I like the sound of blaziken but little chance of that happening in all honesty. Ill stick with saying zoroark will have a good chance since hes the new star of the 5th gen like lucario was with 4th gen.

They kinda have a trend going on for these pokemon now. Maybe they'll throw in Chris redfield like for a snake clone

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Ok. I have a new and improved roster.
All brawl characters return, except Lucario and ROB(He was an accesory, playing as him is tantamount to playing as a DDR pad).
Mario:
Geno
Paper Mario
Toad Brigade(from SMG,it'd be the red leader the blue one with glasses and the green one. They would represent all toads and work like the ice climbers {not clones though})
Zelda:
Toon Zelda(in her spirit tracks phantom armor)
Skull Kid
DK:
King K Rool
Pokemon:
Zoroark
Meowth
Star Fox:
Slippy
Krystal
Fire Emblem:
Micaiah
Metroid:
Ridley
Mother/Earthbound:
Claus/The Masked Man
F-Zero:
Samurai Goroh
Misc:
Ray
Lil Mac
Excitebiker(He'd run over people and swing his motorcycle around for attacks)
Sukapon
Isaac
Super Primid (He'd be a cross between all the primid types except metal and giant, with 4 arms. SSB is a very important nintendo franchise. It deserves its own rep.)

In addition you be able to make your Mii into a character, with a customizable moveset.
There would also be a content downloader channel. No big important people would be available, they would be saved for ssb5. For instance you wouldn't be able to download bowser jr, but you could download a blooper or something like that.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I maintain as much hope as anyone that Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 magically appears and brings Crocodile Isle with it, with some sort of storyline that bridges the tikis and the kremlings. Maybe they erected a similar volcano at the peak of Crocodile Isle and wiped out all the Kremlings except K. Rool who forged a deal with them or something? I dunno....

Yeah... characters like Geno and K. Rool don't seem to stand a chance. :(

Animal Buddies though...

:awesome:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I maintain as much hope as anyone that Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 magically appears and brings Crocodile Isle with it, with some sort of storyline that bridges the tikis and the kremlings. Maybe they erected a similar volcano at the peak of Crocodile Isle and wiped out all the Kremlings except K. Rool who forged a deal with them or something? I dunno....

Yeah... characters like Geno and K. Rool don't seem to stand a chance. :(

Animal Buddies though...

:awesome:
I read in an article from Gameinformer Online that Retro doesn't have plans for a DK sequel. And I don't think people should assume that K.Rool is gone just because he wasn't in this game. He was in that Mario baseball game and that DK barrel blast thing...

Geno and Rool aren't in the same category either. If they were, then that means Rare owns the Kremlings and all their other creations, which they don't. If they did, Diddy, Dixie, Funky, Lanky, Tiny and many others wouldn't be appearing in Nintendo-developed DK games at all, and Krystal would've vanished from Starfox. Nintendo owns DK and related characters. Banjo, Conker, and all the others from those 2 characters' games have left with Rare except for Tiptup (Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie), who seems to have slipped through some cracks.

Anyway about your new DK character slot a few pages back: interesting idea. I'm not really for or against it cuz its KINDA (key word) abstract but could probably work. I thought you were joking the second I read about Cranky in his chair at first, because Rare in one of their Scribes columns said that Cranky would've been great for Brawl as he rocked back and forth with complaints. As I read further I realized you could have a good idea, but like I wrote earlier I'm 50/50 on it.

Maybe they could have Cranky in a more active role as he uses potions from DK64 and DKCR to make up for his old and frail self? He DOES brag about how great he is, maybe those potions are his secret...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Geno is a one time character shrouded in legal limbo and has ties between two companies who can't seem to figure things out about him and his peers. We have one company who seemingly wants to use him, but cannot, and another company who doesn't want to share him. You'd think that if he was "Just owned" by SE that he would show up in ANY of the SE/Nintendo crossovers, but he doesn't. This leads me to believe he is stuck in some sort of halfway point.
Like Suzy Salmon.... Eww.
He isn't being used, and as far as we know he has no plans of returning. Not comparable to K Rool at all..... at all!

Do not Compare the character who has been twisted up in who owns who and so many rumors that no one can use him to King K. Rool. They just aren't in the same boat. How did fans like this Tiki guy? Does anyone know? I think he was lame, And I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Anyone Remember Wart? No?. . . Didn't think so.

Love both the characters, but you cannot put them in the same catagory, Geno is a lost hope IMO. K. Rool just took a break like Bowser and Ganondorf do every now and then.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I wonder why people hate lucario ? TBH it's one of the best poekmons and he is a rly good character in smash unlike mew two wh owas not practical and about the new pokemon trainer I think it mus go like this :

First Stage: Fastest (Fits Snivy because it's si fast but he crappy attack and sp.atk)

Second stage : Balanced (Fits Dewott because his balanced in attack and sp.atk )

Third Stage : Strongest (Emboar have suporior attack with crappy stats)

so this team is perfect.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How did fans like this Tiki guy? Does anyone know? I think he was lame, And I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
Don't know how accurate my perceptions are on how other fans see him, so you might have to take my answer with a grain of salt.

From what I can tell, some fans are ok with him, but K.Rool is DEFINITELY the most liked. I was cool with the tiki leader; the fight was good and challenging (unlike the K.Rool fight in DKC which was very easy), but the Kremling King has really cemented his place. Based on some of the YouTube comments (not really reliable) I read he has diehard fans--to the point where his absence means that they won't get the game. Pretty strange for them to act like Rool and his Krew were the only things that made DKC so great. I guess the music, Diddy, Cranky and mine cart levels weren't as magnificent, creative and amazing as banana stealing crocodiles were....

I still like K.Rool though, but I don't mind going after a different main villain from time to time.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf on King K. Rule being in Smash Bros.

"Oh hell no, hes a ******. Lets See He's An Over weighted psychotic alligator with a blood fear for a bunch of apes. His Fat *** Can't Do Anything. At least The laud Penguin Over There Has A Hammer (King Dedede)."

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
There have been a slew of new users just posting wishlists and horribly biased statements. I miss the days when it was Smashchu, Toise, Kuma and Arcadenik verbally duelling.

Kantrip

Kantplay
There have been a slew of new users just posting wishlists and horribly biased statements. I miss the days when it was Smashchu, Toise, Kuma and Arcadenik verbally duelling.
Sorry. :(

/leave
/wrists

No but really.... I agree that K. Rool and Geno are on completely different boats but seeing as how Retro took over the series, gave us new enemies and a new boss, and they have no plans for a sequel currently, it seems like K. Rool is gone in their minds.

That doesn't mean their minds can't change.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I have nothing against new users, but they have to realise it's called a Discussion Thread. And K.Rool's chances are indefinitely better than Geno's.

Kantrip

Kantplay
This is true. However, that doesn't mean K. Rool's chances are necessarily good. I can see them bringing back Dixie and Funky before K. Rool.

But a good point was made: Bowser and Ganon have been known to take the odd break...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This place was recently hit with like. . . five newcomers and it's hard to really get "In-depth" if we switch discussions all the time. I miss the days when it wasn't few and far between to have an in depth analysis on a character (Or whatever the topic was) and the whole gang would have something to say. The topic would stay the same for quite some time. Nothing against new users, they just don't know the groove quite yet. I've only been around for about five hundred posts/two years. So I can't hardly say I'm a veteran. . . Just I know how things should be run, and it's suprising when MY posts are the least scatterbrained. (Considering I'm usually hyped and excited when I log on here) I just miss being able to be out debated and shut up by someone on here. Like by Toise, Kuma, ArcadeNik, Pieman, TheThirdKoopa, Panera, Smashchu, ect. Even when they bugged you, they were still part of the discussion's crowd. Erg. :l

Edit: Just because there isn't a sequal planned doesn't make him forgotten. Look at Geno. Nintendo has had him cameo in the SM&L after at least eight years of nothing. Creators don't forget a character they designed and really liked. And fans don't forget a character that they loved to play as/against/see. K. Rool isn't forgotten, just on hold.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
This is true. However, that doesn't mean K. Rool's chances are necessarily good. I can see them bringing back Dixie and Funky before K. Rool.

But a good point was made: Bowser and Ganon have been known to take the odd break...
The only time Bowser Took a Break was in Paper Mario. Personaly i think Vaati Should get in. He was the Villian For 4 Games and now hes going for his 4th with the New Zelda Coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom