• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In all fairness to Chrono Mario Sports Mix was not exactly one of the more talked about games coming from E3.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm still curious as to what's going to happen to Samus in the next game, and Zamus in particular. Hopefully, she'll finally have a more feminine look in her power suit instead of that ambigious power suit in Brawl (seriously, it looks like she has a bulge). My guess is that Samus could easily become more rushdown oriented with her melee and counter attacks in other M. The specials wouldn't have to be changed (except for maybe an expanded Morph Ball mode), but I think her grab attacks and A attacks might change to an extent and her speed would have a significant increase and she would be less floaty (stupidest change in my opinion).

But then comes the question of what to do with Zamus. She was meant to be faster than Power Suit Samus (a thing that always confused me). I think the main things they'll feature around her are the Stun Gun (like in Zero Mission) and pokes and other long range attacks.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Does anyone else think Sakurai could just stick an unimportant character in the game for the hell of it? if so, who is the most likely(besides Geno).
Personally, i think creative things could be done with characters such as DK Jr, Stanley the Bug Man, and The Professor from Gyromite if they work hard on it. Personally, i'd like to see more one-shot characters in SSB4 if the can do it well enough.

Stanley the Bug Man FTW

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A character based off of the original Donkey Kong arcade trilogy would be interesting.

However, is it me or were practically all of the worthwhile newcomers added with Brawl? I mean the only major characters from an already represented series that are important within them that are not playable in Smash would be Ridley and maybe K. Rool or Dixie Kong. Every other potential newcomer I see that gets thrown around is either the main hero for a minor Nintendo series or a minor character with some popularity from an already represented series.

All the Brawl roster needed in my opinion was Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy and it would have been perfect to me.

Regardless, I don't plan to follow any more Smash titles after Smash 4. Heck, I may not even follow Smash 4 when it is announced. So basically, Smash 4 will be definitely be my last Smash (or at least the last one I do speculating on). However, there is also the possibility I will be bored with Smash by the time it is announced. If the characters I desire don't get in Smash 4, I won't do any speculation for Smash 5. Heck, even if the characters I desire DO get in Smash 4 , I still won't speculate for Smash 5. I am losing more interest with games each year, and I think Nintendo's next home console will be my last one (if I even decide to buy it).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Stanley the Bugman could work better as an Assist Trophy. He could do something like Ivysaur's Bullet Seed where he uses his bug spray can to shoot characters upward until they are KO'd through the top of the screen.

I would like to see a new stage based off Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Mini Mario, Mini Peach, Mini Toad, Mini Donkey Kong, and Mini Pauline could appear as stage hazards just like the Shellcreepers and Sidesteppers in the Mario Bros. stage and you could throw them at each other.

As for what ChronoBound is saying, yes, the only characters we have left for SSB4 are the protagonists from Nintendo's minor franchises and the popular supporting characters (who are recurring and not one-time like Geno is) from Nintendo's major franchises.

In SSB5, we will add protagonists from Nintendo's unrepped minor franchises and add supporting characters from Nintendo's repped minor franchises in addition to more supporting characters from Nintendo's major franchises.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just found the ending for a certain upcoming videogame. After seeing it, I now have a character I want in SSB4.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Day 11, 34 spots left.

Looks like we want Mew2 back, big surprise there.
So, heres the roster:
SSB64:
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Samus
Fox
DK
Yoshi
Captain Falcon

SSBM:
Roy
Toon Link
Mewtwo

SSBB:
Lucus

Cut Characters:
Toon Link
Mr. Game & Watch

Our character of the day is...hm interesting. It seems we're voting on Pokemon Trainer but, I've got an Idea.
Brawl PokeTrainer was Gen 1.
So...heres the deal. We MAY have our first newcomer, as this vote will have SIX options.
Choose one:
No PT returning
Gen 1(Brawl vet) trainer
Gen 2 Trainer
Gen 3 Trainer
Gen 4 Trainer
Gen 5 Trainer.

Vote for one, and nominate 3 smash vetrens not already on this list

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
SSB4 would work as the last, but it has to have a good ending. And not a stupid story like Subspace, I was thinking of a tourney type thing. Course that would be the story if I made a SSB fan game. =P

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Hmm, I guess I vote for Veteran Poke Trainer (Gneration 1) but If I may...I might I also vote for Gold/ Gen 2?

Nominate: Zelda, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I find the cuts for G+W and Tink stupid (though the latter MIGHT make sense).

Keep Pokemon Trainer with the same Pokemon.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just found the ending for a certain upcoming videogame. After seeing it, I now have a character I want in SSB4.
Who might this be? I think it has to do with Other M. If that is the case Ridley is far superior choice to any character introduced in that game. I have a feeling I am correct about this and you will be pimping someone from Other M as the next Metroid character as opposed to Ridley. Am I right?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I shall join the voting thing once again.
Generation 2 plz.
*captain falcon, mr. game&watch, sonic and, if have to add more, luigi, bowser*

UberMario

Smash Master
Why the heck would they cut Mr. Game & Watch? That's not very plausible considering he's practically a sprite. (Well he's a superflattened model anyway, but it's not like he has that detailed of a look)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Even though most of the worthwhile characters have already been included in Smash, we still have many possibilities:

Bowser Jr.
Rosalina
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Kamek
Captain Syrup
Jimmy T.
Ashley
King K. Rool
Tingle
Ridley
Palutena
Krystal
Black Shadow
Mewtwo
Pokémon Rival Trainer
Caeda
Sothe
Roy
Masked Man
Pokey
Little Mac
Matthew
Isa
Shulk
Elza
Takamaru
Starfy
Ray 01
etc...

Not saying these are good additions, but that we do have options. We still have to consider there could be new characters who may shine in the next wave of Nintendo sequels. Not to mention the third party series such as Megaman, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, etc...

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i guess i iz joining koolaid thing...
generation 3... Totodile, Grovile, Blaziken FTW
oddly enough, many people wanted blaziken as stand alone, and this way i also get my favorite grovile!
(faster) Mew2,( melee's) Peach, Zamus

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Even though most of the worthwhile characters have already been included in Smash, we still have many possibilities:

Bowser Jr.
Rosalina
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario
Kamek
Captain Syrup
Jimmy T.
Ashley
King K. Rool
Tingle
Ridley
Palutena
Krystal
Black Shadow
Mewtwo
Pokémon Rival Trainer
Caeda
Sothe
Roy
Masked Man
Pokey
Little Mac
Matthew
Isa
Shulk
Elza
Takamaru
Starfy
Ray 01
etc...

Not saying these are good additions, but that we do have options. We still have to consider there could be new characters who may shine in the next wave of Nintendo sequels. Not to mention the third party series such as Megaman, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, etc...
Why is Rosalina on the list? Since when did she have a chance? She's still relatively new, thus making her appearence as unlikely as Koopa Troopa. =P

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
See? Ridley is still too big. Check out this cutscene and this boss battle from Metroid: Other M. Be warned that they might contain spoilers.
Im not going to get in a big discussion with you, but i'll say this:
They could shrink him Down to like 1 1/2 bigger than Ganondorf, noone ever said he had to be the tallest.

OmEG@

Smash Rookie
rosalina! hmm and krystal from starfox, midna, they need more female characters in my opinion. banjo and kazooie?

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Ridley is perfectly fine, I don't see your problem. I don't recall Bowser or Ganondorf being as small as they are in brawl.

Rosalina, Oh God... I have nothing against her, but she doesn't deserve it at all. If they want more girls, there's always: Barbara the Bat, Krystal, Jill and Drill Dozer, Mona, Ashley, etc.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am with Arcade to a degree. I am open to the fact that there could be an effective way to scale Ridley down enough to be playable, but I don't see it. I do not have to go further than what has already been established in the Smash universe. Look at the following screenshots:

Notice the difference in sizes? For the astute, in the second screenshot you will notice that even if King DDD and Yoshi were together they would still not equal out the length of Ridley. He would use up to much field space regardless of whether he would be quadrupedal (horizontally) or bipedal (vertically). There is only so much resizing you can do before it becomes ludicrous; and this is going strictly off the precedent set by Sakurai himself, I haven't even touched on series representation (which means less seeing as Smash Bros is non-canonical). The only way in my mind he would work is if they successfully implement a flying system where he stays suspended in the air for a certain amount of time, having to land to "recharge" while having the ability to attack and be attacked. Outside of such a creative resolution I don't forsee Ridley faring much better than he does now, again, strictly based upon his appearance in Brawl.

If there was a way he could've been playable Brawl I think it would have happened, so why didn't they? Especially when he appears as a boss, twice?! It certainly wasn't because of a lack of popularity or lack of motivation.

n!njaAttack!

Smash Rookie
Hmm how about throwing the old and bringing in a new concept? BABY RIDLEY! (setting aside the fact that the concept has nothing to do w/any past videogames Ninty or sega has made.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm. Does anyone here support Ridley as a playable character? It seems all the Ridley supporters have disappeared. He was by far the most requested character for Brawl, and was for Smash 4. However, it seems recently in this thread the Ridley doubters are the majority.

omnibus2

Smash Cadet
Blaziken would fit well into ssb4, as would dark samus. Also, a pianta from mario sunshine would be awesome. Epic powerful throwing game.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hmmm. Does anyone here support Ridley as a playable character? It seems all the Ridley supporters have disappeared. He was by far the most requested character for Brawl, and was for Smash 4. However, it seems recently in this thread the Ridley doubters are the majority.
How am I a doubter if proven fact (ie Brawl appearance) shows him as an unplayable gargantuan? Don't misunderstand me I like Ridley and was once supportive of him, but that was pre-Subspace Emissary.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hai guise.

Why do you keep saying supporters have disappeared? Not everyone is going to keep shouting "Character" for SSB4. And I wouldn't use this thread as an indicator.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I support Ridley. But now looking at those pics, I am sort of doubtful... He has to be sized to a good size.

Blaziken would fit well into ssb4, as would dark samus. Also, a pianta from mario sunshine would be awesome. Epic powerful throwing game.
...I swear, I need to stop reading this thread. =P

Hmm how about throwing the old and bringing in a new concept? BABY RIDLEY! (setting aside the fact that the concept has nothing to do w/any past videogames Ninty or sega has made.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FYI, there was a Ridley with fighter proportions in Melee's intro. Also, have you ever seen how big Bowser is the main Mario titles? Olimar is the size of a quarter, and Sakurai himself said he could have gotten Ridley to work if he had more time. Heck, Ridley was the only character Sakurai has commented on after Brawl's release. He has also commented on Sukapon, Takamaru, and Panel de Pon (but these comments were made prior to or after Melee's release so I am not sure if they reflect his current opinions about them). As far as I am aware of, he has not said anything else about any other characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In regards to Baby Ridley.....

Well, just wait until Tuesday.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
kuma, I don`t if that is wise to post, a tad spoilerish? (not that I care, metroid be lame).

My biggest qualm with the bowser argument is that Bowser has appeared in his smash size before smash. His size fluctuates while Ridley is always large.

Same thing with Olimar. While he technically is the size of a quarter, it`s not like you play the entire game with a super zoomer out view of him, he has the illusion of being regular size, but ridley is always bigger than samus (i think, am I wrong?).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@TheBaker
Yes, it's spoilerish. In fact, it's quite the spoiler if you only get a little into the game once you read the spoiler.

WARNING: EXTREME OTHER M SPOILERS:
There is a little thing that looks like a Moogle and Chocobo combined together and acts like the Killer Rabbit. You find out that the Choogle evolves into El Pollo Loco and that becomes Ridley. Therefore, Baby Ridley is actually that Choogle thing. Also, Anthony Higgs, aka remembuh me?, is the only one out of the entire GF squadron that survives the whole ordeal. Since he did not die like Rundas in Corruption. He could be a viable SSB character along with Sylux and Ridley.

I have a question, do you support Ridley for Smash 4?
I have never stopped supporting Ridley. He's the only major Nintendo villain to not be in at this point.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
FYI, there was a Ridley with fighter proportions in Melee's intro. Also, have you ever seen how big Bowser is the main Mario titles? Olimar is the size of a quarter, and Sakurai himself said he could have gotten Ridley to work if he had more time. Heck, Ridley was the only character Sakurai has commented on after Brawl's release. He has also commented on Sukapon, Takamaru, and Panel de Pon (but these comments were made prior to or after Melee's release so I am not sure if they reflect his current opinions about them). As far as I am aware of, he has not said anything else about any other characters.
Melee's intro does not have as much bearing as Subspace Emissary. Your second point is both valid and invalid. I specifically stated that in game appearance size does not matter, I was strictly going off his size in Brawl. To my knowledge Sakurai's comment regarding Ridley was made prior to Brawl's release and stated that if they were able to implement him he would be slow and awkward. If that is the case then it only confirms in my mind that they intended for him to be playable but he did not work out.

I support Anthony Higgs since he is alive and well. Pop him in another game and we're set. Anthony Higgs, Sylux, and Dark Samus (though dead) are still options outside of Ridley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom