• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The advertising thing is just a theory.
Well, after the "rules" that Brawl broke, I'm thinking three games makes more theories than patterns. Just saying.

EDIT: But anyway, I doubt we'll get anything ELSE like that unless we get Zoroark or something in the next game. Because they just love advertising the new generations. Except for 3rd.

*Z*

Smash Rookie
Shadow can been done as an incredibly different character from sonic. He could be more focused on chaos powers like in Sonic Battle. But if they really want to add another character from the same third party series I'm with you on Knuckles.

As for a final smash I think of how in his first game he would use switches to manipulate the level and mess with Sonic and Tails. It's more original then simply going super and beacons back to the classic games. It might be a bit of a problem programing in different effects for each stage, but like how Pokemon Stadium 2 changes gravity/ conveyor belts, or the Devil assist carries the stage around. Knuckles would have a button to press for those kind of effects.
I only said Super Knuckles, mostly due to the fact that I haven't played any of the Sonic games. I know, it's horrible right?

With that aside, I really like your Final Smash idea. It would take alot of time though, seeing as the next game might have lots more stages than Brawl. I'd like to see that idea in action. It'd be very interesting to see.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think they need to be careful with 3rd parties. If they want to add Megaman or whoever as another 3rd party, sure, why not I guess. But if they start slipping in Tails Knuckles Silver Gray Fox The End Otacon Eggman and every other flippin character who has ever been in a Sonic the Hedgehog or Metal Gear game before in the history of the UNIVERSE, then what happens? Well, let me tell you.

1. Sonic and Snake become less special.
2. Smash Bros. becomes less of a Smash Bros. game, and more of a Sonic & Snake Bros. game.

Don't get me wrong, 3rd parties are cool, but we don't need all sorts of double-3rd parties. It's totally missing the point.

Snake and Sonic were not put in to say, "we're accepting sega and konami characters now". They were put in to say, "sega and konami are making guest appearences".

...But if it did happen, Knuckles would probably be the only sonic character I would accept in a fighting game. Gray Fox, as well.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I have nothing against third parties. Personally, I'd accept if they would fill half of roster with them (as long as there would be no cuts in Nintendo characters). But it's unknown if ANY third parties will be in SSB4. Maybe they were just guest appearances, as you said.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have nothing against third parties. Personally, I'd accept if they would fill half of roster with them (as long as there would be no cuts in Nintendo characters). But it's unknown if ANY third parties will be in SSB4. Maybe they were just guest appearances, as you said.
Well, permenant ones, most likely.

Snake was put in as a favor. It'd be insulting to cut them after one game, wouldn't it?

Sonic was put in because of his massive fan demand. Taking him out would be like kicking fans in the balls. Lots of them. It's Sonic.

But yeah, we don't *know* if there will be 3rd parties in SSB4. I mean, I said this earlier: 3 games makes more theories than patterns. For all we know, we could get a new 3rd party with every game from now on.

OR, this could have been a one-time thing, and next time we'll get the villain influx we need in the roster.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
heres my wants:
WALUIGI-
id be like wario just an athlete
POKEMON TRAINER GOLD-
to have a REAL pkmn battle ^_^ fraligator quilava chicarita=BEAST
tails-
just because
knuckles-
just because
shadow-
just because

NEEDS!!!:
spyro-
long due he works for nintendo now
travis touchdown-
truely awesome and they accually talked about putting him in there
MEWTWO-
as hard as he was to control he still was awesome
skull kid-
id much rather have him than toon link...
young link-
just this time let him use masks AND final smash=feirce link ^_^

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I'm sure third parties will only have on representetive, which means no more Sega(dammit, I wanted Nights) or Konami(i guess that means no bomber man either) Capcom should have a representetive, and the choice is between three characters in my oppinion:
Mega Man, most likely
Pac-Man:Excessive fan demand might get him in, but im pretty sure he isnt very likely
Simon Belmont: More likely than Pac-Man, not as Likely as Mega Man

Ubisoft MAY(unlikely) have a representitive, although if they do I can only see Sam Fisher having any chance.

People are going Ape-**** with the third parties, and it seriously needs to stop. Think of them as guests at a party, or representitives of a different side of the gaming universe.

Now that my rage has settled, lets talk something different.

What Game modes/mini games do you think should be brought back to smash?

I hope Board the Platforms comes back, along with maybe different kinds of matches that dont involve K.Oing your opponent

Life

Smash Hero
Indeed. I really miss Board The Platforms mode. And character-unique Target Tests but with the size of the roster I understand cutting down on this stuff.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm sure third parties will only have on representetive, which means no more Sega(dammit, I wanted Nights) or Konami(i guess that means no bomber man either) Capcom should have a representetive, and the choice is between three characters in my oppinion:
Mega Man, most likely
Pac-Man:Excessive fan demand might get him in, but im pretty sure he isnt very likely
Simon Belmont: More likely than Pac-Man, not as Likely as Mega Man

Ubisoft MAY(unlikely) have a representitive, although if they do I can only see Sam Fisher having any chance.

People are going Ape-**** with the third parties, and it seriously needs to stop. Think of them as guests at a party, or representitives of a different side of the gaming universe.

Now that my rage has settled, lets talk something different.

I hope Board the Platforms comes back, along with maybe different kinds of matches that dont involve K.Oing your opponent
I want a multiplayer combination of Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish. Easily.

Just a brief mention, not to steal the topic or anything, but I found this on Gamefaqs...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl/56040253

Someone should make a thread like that here, it's interesting and is much better than everyone having their own roster.

But ANYWAY, I'd like the BtP/RttF game to have a bunch of levels, like one similar to Melee's escape shaft, only there's rising lava. Also, one that is made of conveyor belts going away from the goal carrying the platforms, so it's harder to land on them. =P

Of course, if you miss a platform and can't go back to get it, you lose. And if you DO go back, unless your opponent(s) missed some, you lose.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Okay, that Gamefaqs thing was a good Idea. I'LL DO IT!

However, the rules are confusing to me... so to start, we let people vote on the twelve original characters, let them nominate characters, and have a vote for them?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Okay, that Gamefaqs thing was a good Idea. I'LL DO IT!

However, the rules are confusing to me... so to start, we let people vote on the twelve original characters, let them nominate characters, and have a vote for them?
How it works is, the first thing is a day of voting for roster size.

You take the average of all roster numbers on that day, and that is the roster size. One space is a random button.

The next day is a vote on eligibility. And the winner, yeah. The third day is when you hold a vote on the original 8. With their votes, everyone can nominate up to 3 veterans.

At the end of the day, the veteran with the most votes is discussed the NEXT day. And it repeats like that until you're on the last veteran, when you start to nominate newcomers.

Can I help, since I have access to the rules in particular? =P

Wow, this got a bit off topic. xD

EDIT: I can send you the rules from the original topic if you want. It'd probably help.

EDIT 2: In SSB4, I want to see a better swapping between PT's pokemon and Samus/Zamus. Turning into Zamus from Samus is really hard to do mid-match, and you can't turn back at all without a Final Smash.

Pokemon Trainer, I don't think it is necessary to be forced into a switch between characters. It's hard to use your favorite that way unless you just don't die.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Okay, I've posted a similar(and hopefully efficient) voting contest. Its not quite the same, but I think doing it this way will help me keep it organized
Yes you can help, I should probably change the rules a bit, too:p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Okay, I've posted a similar(and hopefully efficient) voting contest. Its not quite the same, but I think doing it this way will help me keep it organized
Yes you can help, I should probably change the rules a bit, too:p
I can see just a couple problems, but that's just me. >_<

But yeah, seriously. Does anyone else get annoyed by how hard it is to become Zamus in mid-match? <_< I do.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I can see just a couple problems, but that's just me. >_<

But yeah, seriously. Does anyone else get annoyed by how hard it is to become Zamus in mid-match? <_< I do.
Yeah, it seems like you should be able to change from Samus to Zamus like Zelda to Sheik, or PT's pokemon.

Also, PLEASE HELP ME! you obviously know the way to do the vote, so I tweaked the thread and removed the rules. Coukd you help me run it, or at least send me a copy of the rules?

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Okay...Its up, and day one is ready to go! all I nerd now are people to vote on it...hm

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was reading a discussion on the Forbidden Seven there as well. I hope they end up in SSB4.

Honestly, if Plusle & Minun were a character, that would make it so easy to have Pichu back as a costume.

Then we'd effectively have everyone, and we'd be good to go as far as cuts are concerned. For now.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
Just trying to avoid Final Smash clones (Land masterx3 anyone)

and I would agree that third parties should be limited to one character each. But that aside, I still find the idea of Sonic vs Knuckles too appealing >.<

If they tweak the stage builder and Wifi mode I'd be content. How would they top subspace emissary though? I don't see that happening though there are somethings about Melee's one player mode I prefer over it. Mainly the ever changing gaols. It wasn't as straightforward as Subspace where you mostly just have to reach the goal. In Melee you have to race the countdown, avoid race cars, beat up a pile of kirby's. It just got so much more mad cap then the emissary ever felt.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just trying to avoid Final Smash clones (Land masterx3 anyone)

and I would agree that third parties should be limited to one character each. But that aside, I still find the idea of Sonic vs Knuckles too appealing >.<

If they tweak the stage builder and Wifi mode I'd be content. How would they top subspace emissary though? I don't see that happening though there are somethings about Melee's one player mode I prefer over it. Mainly the ever changing gaols. It wasn't as straightforward as Subspace where you mostly just have to reach the goal. In Melee you have to race the countdown, avoid race cars, beat up a pile of kirby's. It just got so much more mad cap then the emissary ever felt.
Only one of those isn't done in the SSE in any way. =\ And the avoiding racecars? That was just an F-Zero themed Race to the Finish. So, you know. It was the same thing, only shorter, and with race cars.

In the SSE, it alternates between Reach the Goal or Beat the Opponent. In Melee's, it does the exact same thing more or less. Only it has more fighting than running, while the SSE does more running than fighting.

I honestly hope they DON'T do an SSE2. More time they can spent to fix up the roster. If they hadn't done the SSE, we would have seven more characters on the roster I bet. >_<

*Z*

Smash Rookie
Here are some of my Item ideas for SSB4. Here are Donkey Kong, Eathbounf, and Fire Emblem items. Tell me what you thnk of them. I'll make more later...

Donkey Kong- Checkpoint Barrel: When broken, a sparkling light starts to shine on the player. When the player gets knocked out, they respawn on the stage without losing a life/score.
-KONG Letters: Each letter(K, O, N, G) would appear randomly on the stage, and when all of them are collected by one player, they get rewarded with one extra life.

EarthBound- Shield Breaker: When you grab this item, it allows you to hit everyone without fail. It would also discontinue Final Smashes. (Shields, dodges, invincibilty, final smashes, etc.)
Travel Charm: When this item is grabbed, it protects against stun attacks. (Zamus's Paralyzer Gun, etc.)

Fire Emblem- Stamina Drink: This item recovers your damage meter all the way to 0%.
Dracoshield: This item makes opponents attacks only do half their original damage to you.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
It's just that I found myself always running to the goal in Melee where as emissary had no time limit and was slower paced in general though that might also be because it's ten times as long.

Even if it's not a full fledged campaign, don't you think there should still be some kind of an Adventure mode though?

*Z*

Smash Rookie
I agree with you Soniccuz. SSE did have a more detailed plotline, but Melee's Adventure Mode was fast-paced, and had more variety.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
If only there was a way to combine both and have it still be awesome.

SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
If Getocoolaid is continuing this SSB4 voting idea in this thread I'm throwing my vote in.
I would of posted:

"I'll say an even 50. That's all brawlers returning, 14 newcomers, and room for mewtwo to Return."

But the mod beat me to the thread.

That would make the count 43 44,44 45,45 46,46 47 48,48 49 50, 50

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have no idea what you guys mean by variety. I could go through this whole list here...

Stage 1-1 is a "get to the goal while fighting enemies". Nothing new there.
Stage 1-2 is a fight against two opponents. Nothing new there.
Stage 2-1 is a fight against two opponents. Nothing new there.
Stage 2-2 is a fight against a giant opponent. Nothing new there.
Stage 3-1 is a "get to the goal while fighting enemies". Nothing new there.
Stage 3-2 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new there.
Stage 4-1 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new there.
Stage 4-2 is a "get to the goal" stage. There are no enemies, but still. It is what it is.
Stage 5-1 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new.
Stage 5-2 is a fight against multiple opponents. Nothing new.
Stage 5-3 is a fight against a giant opponent. Nothing new.
Stage 6-1 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new.
Stage 6-2 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new.
Stage 7-1 is a fight against multiple opponents. Nothing new.
Stage 8-1 is a "get to the goal" stage with obstacles. This is done in the SSE, mostly in autoscrolling to make them more difficult to avoid.
Stage 8-2 is a fight against one opponent. Nothing new.
Stage 9-1 is a fight against three opponents. Nothing new.
Stage 10-1 is both a "get to the goal while fighting enemies" and a fight against an opponent.
Stage 11-1 is a fight against multiple opponents. Nothing new.
Stage 11-2 is a fight against one or two opponents. Nothing new.
Stage 12-1 is a fight against a "Disc 1 boss".
Stage 12-2 is a fight against the boss.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Melee adventure mode myself. But you guys say it like there's such an unbelievably huge amount of variety compared to the SSE. They do effectively the exact same thing, only as I said before, the SSE is more about reaching the goal while killing enemies, while the MAM is more about beating opponents in the meantime.

I liked the SSE, but I feel that we could have had 7 more characters if they just made a bigger and better MAM. >_< I mean seriously.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you could tell that Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede were, collectively, in the spotlight with more going on WAY MORE than Ness and Lucas, the Kongs, and the Mario Bros.

If SSB4's Adventure Mode is anything like Brawl's design-wise, there better be a whole lot of balance between character in the plot. I mean, the fact that Jigglypuff has been in ALL 3 games and they STILL couldn't find a place for it is a bad sign (alongside Jiggly's lack of plot potential).

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Dammit, a mod shut me down.
Should I keep it going, or would it just get ignored?

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Day 2:
Okay, so we've decided the roster to be 47, + a random panel.

So, its time to vote on Character Eligibility. For Example:
Smash64:1st party Nintendo Chars. Allowed
SSBM:1st party Nintendo Chars. Allowed.
SSBB:3rd party characters allowed, as long as they have appeared on a Nintendo console.

Heres our options, vote for one.

*1st party Nintendo characters:ONLY nintendo characters allowed.
*3rd party characters:Allowed if they've appeared on a Nintendo console.
*All Video Game Characters:Any and all characters originating from a video game allowed, even if they haven't been on a Nintendo console.
*All characters allowed:Any character thats been in a game is allowed, even if they dont originate from a game.
*Open Cast:Anyone from anything can get in, even real people.

This will be decided by a tally. If only a few people vote, I might extend the voting another day.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll cast my vote with option 2, third party characters allowed only if that character appeared in a game released on a Niintendo platform. I, personally, believe the series should also be predominantly Nintendo friendly. That is just me though.

Only third party series I support are Megaman and Dragon Quest.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Option two. We have to draw a line somewhere. =P

EDIT: People on Gamefaqs are horrible to talk to about common-sense things. >_< Someone is arguing with me over whether or not Lucario could ever possibly be cut.

They don't seem to understand, Mewtwo was added because and was partially programmed into Brawl. Pichu may have been last-minute, but was there to represent the second generation. Then was cut, and was probably going to come back as Plusle & Minun to represent the 3rd. Lucario is around just to represent the 4th, so really, why would Lucario be immune to cuts? He's in an almost indentical situation.

Soniccuz

Smash Cadet
Same as everyone else so far, option 2. It makes little sense to go back to pure Nintendo and cut the third parties out now, as long as they don't overwelm the roster.

I personally would prefer if they kept Lucario but gave him and Mewtwo the Luigi/Mario treatment.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Why does everyone say Lucario and Mewtwo are clones? Sharing one or two moves does not make a clone. Thats like saying Pikachu and Luigi are clones because they share a similar side special.
Sorry for going off, but its something i've been wanting to say.

On another note, it seems like its going to be a unanimus vote for option two, although I'll wait till tomorrow to put results up.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This is a Small Part of my Custom SSB4 Roster -
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][x][ ]
[x][x][x][ ]
[x][x][ ][x]

I went ahead and marked the problem spots on that piece for you. :3

But yeah, the huge thing I never understood about the Lucario-Mewtwo-Clone theory is, they always say Mewtwo is a clone of Lucario.

...............What?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I will never understand the Sonic fanbase and its love for OC characters.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][x][ ]
[x][x][x][ ]
[x][x][ ][x]

I went ahead and marked the problem spots on that piece for you. :3

But yeah, the huge thing I never understood about the Lucario-Mewtwo-Clone theory is, they always say Mewtwo is a clone of Lucario.

...............What?
What do you mean "problem spots?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom