• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes, but neither Ganon nor Samus nor Olimar nor any other character in the game is a GOD.
Yeah, but mythological gods are killed all the time so who's to say Palutena would be unbeatable?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I dunno... it just makes little sense to me, considering how Pit also got his bow and stuff from Palutena. If she could fight herself, why would she send her minion?

Besides, I don't think Kid Icarus needs more than 1 rep... there's things that should be included waaaaaaaay before a second Kid Icarus character would be made playable.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
well if a new kid icarus does come out, would that change your mind. Factor 5 made concept arts and pitched them to nintendo, it is unknown whether intendo accept the proposal and gave the green light, but most rumors suggest they did. you can look at them here, http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11895 (you can't tell m pit looking like that wouldn't be kickass.

Plus ganon was rendered a god to the twili in TP, he wields the triforce of POWER, a item that was given by the GODS, so does zelda and link, and he and link are 2 of the worst in brawl.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If a Kid Icarus Wii comes out, it does well (thus maybe leading into a sequel) and Palutena plays a big role in it, I have nothing against her as a second Kid Icarus character.

As for the second part:
No. Ganondorf is more like a half-god. But that also applies to Link (Courage) and Zelda (Wisdom). Half-gods can be beaten, though, because they still are part human and normally have a weakness or something. Gods are immortal. I only know of gods being slain by other gods or half-gods in Norse, Greek, Aztec and Egyptian mythology. Never by humans.

And their performance in Smash doesn't say anything.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
me referencing their performance in smash, what i was trying to say was nintendo doesn't give a **** about their status, i.e. ganon "half-god", jigglypuff puff ball, pikachu rodent, lucas little kid. So being a god/goddess i don't think they would care about.

You could argue that Pit is a rip-off of the actual god Icarus in greek mythology so.....

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Icarus wasn't a god. He was a guy who had waxed feathers onto his arms, flew to close to the sun, which caused the wax to melt so he crashed and died.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
well, ok i'll take your word on that, but like i said nintendo probably doesn't care your status, person, god, pokemon, or animal.

Anyway i also hope they market the next game right, as in don't reveal 12 of the 16 newcomers before the release. If brawl revealed like 5 newcomers before the release, everyone wouldn't have had the huge expectations, thats why so many people were pissed because brawl gave all its secrets and surprises before the game was released. Not to mention Lucario was leaked as well. The only newcomers we saw when it was released in japan were wolf, toon link and rob. Brawl had 9 newcomers on the starting roster. If i recall correctly melee only had 4 newcomers on the starting roster, peach bowser, zelda, and ice climbers, all the others were unlockable. And melee far surpassed all of our expectations.

But i like the paulutena idea, though it isn't likely unless she appears in a new KI game. I'd also like to see maybe a generic space pirate from metroid, above all else they are the most prominate enemy excluding metroids, so maybe they could work, if ridley doesn't, seeing japan hates metroid:p

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Simply put its not as popular there as it is here, sales show that, hate is an exageration.. Metroid could have more rep, to us it looks underreped because the americas like it so much, but to them its probably just right. Thats why i said that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Metroid is, even taken only Japanese sales into account everywhere, still one of the Top 10 Nintendo franchises, and one of the best known ones.

True, Western areas have higher sales because Western games rub their ***** over shooter games, especially when they are named "Halo".

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
no really. Halo is so stupid. And ofcourse it is in the top ten, nintendo doesn't have that many franchises that are big. Dk has tailed off, starfox as well and they lost good ones like conker and banjo to rare being bought. Bomberman and hudson i believe was also half lost.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
The Metroid-Prime games aren't doing that well in Japan but they are fine if they get a semi-naked girl instead of a dragon-thing as a newcomer of a series they dislike.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Even if a Kid Icarus Wii comes out, then three games isn't quite enough for another rep, even if Mother got it. And Japan doesn't hate Metroid- it's just that the Metroid Prime series didn't do so well in Japan.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
The Metroid-Prime games aren't doing that well in Japan but they are fine if they get a semi-naked girl instead of a dragon-thing as a newcomer of a series they dislike.
ZSS is semi-naked now?

Pretty positive that on my Brawl disc, she's fully-clothed. That clothing's skin-tight, sure, but she's definitely wearing it. The only thing more naked about her than regular Samus is her head.

And yeah, I don't see Kid Icarus getting a second rep. Pit is perfectly suitable to do all the representation needed there. Heck, if you take a step back from his arrow spam and his HIYAYAYA, he's actually a pretty cool dude. He reps Kid Icarus well, and until/unless the series gets another game, he remains the defining character for it.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus annoys me enormously, and I think she was one of the worst additions to Brawl. She only really got in for the h***y male fanbase.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Zero Suit Samus annoys me enormously, and I think she was one of the worst additions to Brawl. She only really got in for the h***y male fanbase.
Do they really * out the word horny on Smashboards??

EDIT: They don't, so it's not that bad. But I agree with you, although she can be fun to play as.

§leepy God

Smash Master
And Sonic and Snake isn't the worst additions. :p

To tell you the truth, there's not really anything wrong with Zamus "sexiness" because there's not that many girls to even say Zamus is taken over by people that think weird of her. I mean Peach got back but not many fan boys say a lot about that, and Zelda is just Zelda... lol, I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. XD

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
No, they don't * out "horny." I just worry about mods a lot since I spend so much time on GameFAQs. And I still don't like ZSS(who is said is ONE OF the worst additions :p) since she is such a worse option than Ridley. What was Sakurai smoking to put in ZSS and not Ridley?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
No, they don't * out "horny." I just worry about mods a lot since I spend so much time on GameFAQs. And I still don't like ZSS(who is said is ONE OF the worst additions :p) since she is such a worse option than Ridley. What was Sakurai smoking to put in Ridley and not ZSS?
Maybe he wanted the Hero - Sidekick - Villain pattern. That's my only suggestion. Or maybe he thought Ridley was too big, and/or knew he wasn't too big but pulled the excuse that he's too slow out of his @$$ to try and cover it up unsuccessfully.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Mt theory on Ridley was he was just a glossed over character. Part of it may be that he wasn't popular enough in Japan. I assume that Ridley will make it in the next game (as what typically happens to characters not added that people want).

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I think it's more likely that Sakurai just plain doesn't think Ridley fits/works as a playable character. He's certainly been given attention, considering that the SSE has not one, but two fights against him. Who knows, though. Maybe with enough fan support, his mind would change.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think it's more likely that Sakurai just plain doesn't think Ridley fits/works as a playable character. He's certainly been given attention, considering that the SSE has not one, but two fights against him. Who knows, though. Maybe with enough fan support, his mind would change.
He certainly hasn't neglected Ridley from Smash, but he'll see how much people want him. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley became the most wanted character for SSB4, seeing as how Krystal may fade, and K.Rool will rise, but maybe not as high as Ridley (although hopefully so). The top most wanted characters for Melee and Brawl (Bowser and Dedede respectively) made it in, so let's hope Ridley scores high.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think it's more likely that Sakurai just plain doesn't think Ridley fits/works as a playable character.
At a NintendoPower interview, Sakurai was asked why he didn't put in Ridley as playable character.
He said "That would've been pretty much impossible. I think if we work hard enough, we could put him in. But he would be a little slow, is that okay?".

I assume that "pretty much impossible" implies that Sakurai either wanted to have him as a boss - thus making it impossible without ruining his SSE story - or that he has trouble thinking how to implement Ridley properly due to the dragon's properties - that can include sizing him down reasonably, but also other things.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
At a NintendoPower interview, Sakurai was asked why he didn't put in Ridley as playable character.
He said "That would've been pretty much impossible. I think if we work hard enough, we could put him in. But he would be a little slow, is that okay?".

I assume that "pretty much impossible" implies that Sakurai either wanted to have him as a boss - thus making it impossible without ruining his SSE story - or that he has trouble thinking how to implement Ridley properly due to the dragon's properties - that can include sizing him down reasonably, but also other things.
I would doubt it's the later. So far, he's only said Sakupon is impossible. He probably either wanted him as a boss, or decided not to go with him for this roster.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario's return
♣ Very unlikely, unless Dr. Mario is wanted by more people. He was great in Smash DX, it was ashamed that he was taken out because he was a filter character sort of speak. ♥

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
♣ Very unlikely, unless Dr. Mario is wanted by more people. He was great in Smash DX, it was ashamed that he was taken out because he was a filter character sort of speak. ♥
Filter character? :p
But really, I agree with you. He doesn't have as many games now. The only alternative Mario we need is Paper Mario.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Aerial Smash Attacks or Smash Aerials
Melee improved on the Super Smash Bros. namesake by improving smashes; in that, now they can be charged. But Brawl brought about no significant changes to the smash mechanic. And so I propose this:

Wouldn't it be nice if one or two Aerials per character were Chargable/Smashable? For example, Mario's forwarid air could be charged like a smash attack to behave like in Brawl, or be used unsmashed/uncharged to come out much quicker for a more of a combo-ish effect. Everyone would have one or two chargable/smashable aerials that can only be charged with the A button, while C-sticking would treat all aerials like normal. Other great examples include Samus' down air, the IC's up air, and almost everone's back air.

Some nice effects can be added to such aerial smashes too. For example, Pikachu's uncharged down air might behave like a quicker version of itself, but if you charge it he spikes downward much faster like a heavy sack of potatoes. In fact, most spiked aerials like ZSS or Sonics could benefit from this; the startup lag for their down airs would instead be replaced by the charge time of their spike. They'll all then have a choice of a quick non-spiked down air, or a fast charged spike to the ground like normal.

Extended hiboxes, changed hitbox positions, meteor smash properties, changes to momentum/speed, and other effects can be added to charged attacks. Moreover, powerfull laggy attacks like DK's forward air will also have a quicker uncharged counterpart, while weak but quick combo-friendly aerials like Luigi's up air can be given a chargable counterpart as a viable KO move. Mindgames will be borne out of people delaying the release of their smashes making it harder to simply airdodge all attacks.

Since we don't get as much time in the air to charge attacks as we do on the ground, max charge times for the aerials would be significantly shorter or players could simply release early before they land. Landing while charging could cancel the aerial or turn it into a grounded smash; I don't know which I'd prefer. Or perhaps that can be character-specific. Fast fallers like Fox might benefit from being able to continue the smash on the ground. The same with charge times... perhaps some aerials for some characters can charge longer while others reach max quicker.

But, yeah... SSB4 should have an improvement in Smash mechanics. I believe this is one likely route.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Aerial Smash Attacks or Smash Aerials
Melee improved on the Super Smash Bros. namesake by improving smashes; in that, now they can be charged. But Brawl brought about no significant changes to the smash mechanic. And so I propose this:

Wouldn't it be nice if one or two Aerials per character were Chargable/Smashable? For example, Mario's forwarid air could be charged like a smash attack to behave like in Brawl, or be used unsmashed/uncharged to come out much quicker for a more of a combo-ish effect. Everyone would have one or two chargable/smashable aerials that can only be charged with the A button, while C-sticking would treat all aerials like normal. Other great examples include Samus' down air, the IC's up air, and almost everone's back air.

Some nice effects can be added to such aerial smashes too. For example, Pikachu's uncharged down air might behave like a quicker version of itself, but if you charge it he spikes downward much faster like a heavy sack of potatoes. In fact, most spiked aerials like ZSS or Sonics could benefit from this; the startup lag for their down airs would instead be replaced by the charge time of their spike. They'll all then have a choice of a quick non-spiked down air, or a fast charged spike to the ground like normal.

Extended hiboxes, changed hitbox positions, meteor smash properties, changes to momentum/speed, and other effects can be added to charged attacks. Moreover, powerfull laggy attacks like DK's forward air will also have a quicker uncharged counterpart, while weak but quick combo-friendly aerials like Luigi's up air can be given a chargable counterpart as a viable KO move. Mindgames will be borne out of people delaying the release of their smashes making it harder to simply airdodge all attacks.

Since we don't get as much time in the air to charge attacks as we do on the ground, max charge times for the aerials would be significantly shorter or players could simply release early before they land. Landing while charging could cancel the aerial or turn it into a grounded smash; I don't know which I'd prefer. Or perhaps that can be character-specific. Fast fallers like Fox might benefit from being able to continue the smash on the ground. The same with charge times... perhaps some aerials for some characters can charge longer while others reach max quicker.

But, yeah... SSB4 should have an improvement in Smash mechanics. I believe this is one likely route.

This was suggested a while back too, and I still agree it would be a great idea. I think each new game should add something new to the game mechanics (melee added side specials and chargable smash attacks, brawl added final smashes footstool jumps and that other thing starting with a "u" that i cant even begin to think of how to spell). But yeah i think this would be a great idea and is very possible too.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Hmm, that's a very interesting idea. It seems like it might be broken in edgeguarding, but that's easy to fix by keeping them weaker.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
On the side of stages, I bet this has been suggested before, but I would love to see 2 stages:

Something Galaxy - Mario Galaxy

I don't know how it would work, but I'm entertained by the idea of multiple planets with their own gravity. No matter where on the stage you are, you only get KO'd "up." Or in the case of the planet shown in the picture above, "down." Like I said, though, I have no idea how it would work exactly.

Homerun Derby Stage - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

It'd be the home stage of a new challenger: Sandbag. It'd be just like it looks in the home run contest mode, with walk-off sides. Upon the last KO of the stage, though, the camera will follow horizontally to see where the player lands and score accordingly. And there'd be a stat for this too.

That is all.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Sounds like fun stages. I think that's the Good Egg Galaxy. But for the second stage, how would the programming know which KO is the last one of the match?

Scott!

Smash Lord
This was suggested a while back too, and I still agree it would be a great idea. I think each new game should add something new to the game mechanics (melee added side specials and chargable smash attacks, brawl added final smashes footstool jumps and that other thing starting with a "u" that i cant even begin to think of how to spell). But yeah i think this would be a great idea and is very possible too.
U-tripping?
or maybe ukemi...

I like the charged aerial idea a lot. It would work really well with a lot of spikes, as well as energy-based ones like Ness's bair, Lucas's fair, and ones like Samus's fair.

And yes, an SMG stage would be amazing, though I would personally prefer one based on the Garden level than Good Egg. It would work quite well, and I find it more aesthetically distinctive in its style. Space Junk would work well too, and is probably the best of those three, realistically. It also would make the most sense, since it fits the space theme. Ok, I change my vote from the garden to space junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom