• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know anyone who even wanted Zamus. I know people SUGGESTED it rarely, but nobody liked it as far as I know. But yeah, K. Rool and Ridley were totally dropped for Diddy Kong and Zamus. Not fair at all.

And what was it he had used as an excuse? "They would be slow?" What kind of excuse is THAT?
I agree with everything you say here, except Diddy is more important than K.Rool in the DK series, so he's not unimportant like Zamus :ohwell:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I agree with everything you say here, except Diddy is more important than K.Rool in the DK series, so he's not unimportant like Zamus :ohwell:
I never even said the WORD important. I just stated that because my friends and I prefer a giant stupid gator with boxing gloves and weird tools over a small stupid monkey with a gun. :bee: Plus, watching DK brawl with K. Rool would look less one-sided.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I never even said the WORD important. I just stated that because my friends and I prefer a giant stupid gator with boxing gloves and weird tools over a small stupid monkey with a gun. :bee: Plus, watching DK brawl with K. Rool would look less one-sided.
Although I agree wholeheartedly with everything you and your friends prefer about K.Rool and Diddy, the Japanese that Sakurai polled wanted Diddy about twice as much as K.Rool,
unfortunately
. I apologize about how I stated the word 'important', but the way you lumped a shoe-in that everyone thought would be in Melee with a character who is unimportant to their series and by all means never should've been in really threw me off. DK needed three in Brawl; any normal developer would've put Diddy in Melee and K.Rool in Brawl.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Although I agree wholeheartedly with everything you and your friends prefer about K.Rool and Diddy, the Japanese that Sakurai polled wanted Diddy about twice as much as K.Rool,
unfortunately
. I apologize about how I stated the word 'important', but the way you lumped a shoe-in that everyone thought would be in Melee with a character who is unimportant to their series and by all means never should've been in really threw me off. DK needed three in Brawl; any normal developer would've put Diddy in Melee and K.Rool in Brawl.
...Wait, what? K. Rool and Ridley are both primary antagonists. NEITHER is unimportant. But yeah, Diddy SHOULD have been in a little earlier.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
But Diddy IS more important than K. Rool, considering the fact K. Rool doesn't have his own series like Diddy has.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not really. Except for Pokémon Trainer and R.O.B. all the characters were popular and requested.
You forgot Lucas.

I don't know anyone who even wanted Zamus. I know people SUGGESTED it rarely, but nobody liked it as far as I know. But yeah, K. Rool and Ridley were totally dropped for Diddy Kong and Zamus. Not fair at all.

And what was it he had used as an excuse? "They would be slow?" What kind of excuse is THAT?
I wanted a suitless Samus, but I never wanted her like I've wanted Kumatora and Tom Nook.

But Diddy IS more important than K. Rool, considering the fact K. Rool doesn't have his own series like Diddy has.
Diddy has his own series? I thought Diddy was the star of only one DK game: DKC 2.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
...Wait, what? K. Rool and Ridley are both primary antagonists. NEITHER is unimportant. But yeah, Diddy SHOULD have been in a little earlier.
I was referring to Zamus there :ohwell:. Anyone who calls K.Rool or Ridley unimportant have no credability.

And Diddy is the star of Diddy Kong Racing, but that doesn't really count for much as a whole; they're fun games (only the 64 one though), but DKC is where Diddy really made his name.

Lucas had two poll references by Sakurai, the same amount as K.Rool and Megaman if I'm not mistaken.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say that having your own series automatically makes you more important. Luigi doesn't have his own series, but I'd say being the sidekick of Nintendo's main franchise makes him more important than say, Captain Falcon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wouldn't say that having your own series automatically makes you more important. Luigi doesn't have his own series, but I'd say being the sidekick of Nintendo's main franchise makes him more important than say, Captain Falcon.
You're right, but we were talking about characters from the same franchise, like Diddy and K.Rool.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
You're right, but we were talking about characters from the same franchise, like Diddy and K.Rool.
Okay, then try this on for size:

King K.Rool has been a main character in more games than DK or Diddy:

DKC1: DK, Diddy, KRool

DKC2: Diddy, Dixie, KRool

DKC3: Dixie, Kiddy, KRool

After that, the games have always had either DK and/or Diddy, and KRool has always been in them as well with the exception of Jungle Beat. So KRool has been a main character of 1 more game than DK, and lord knows how many more games than Diddy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, then try this on for size:

King K.Rool has been a main character in more games than DK or Diddy:

DKC1: DK, Diddy, KRool

DKC2: Diddy, Dixie, KRool

DKC3: Dixie, Kiddy, KRool

After that, the games have always had either DK and/or Diddy, and KRool has always been in them as well with the exception of Jungle Beat. So KRool has been a main character of 1 more game than DK, and lord knows how many more games than Diddy.
I see the point of importance you are making, but game appearances don't really determine their importance in the way we were discussing. I was mentioning that Diddy is more important as he is a sidekick in most DK games, and while all of those games have K.Rool as the main villain, he wouldn't get in before the main hero or sidekick. In most cases, the villain is usually the third-in-line when repping a franchise:

It's been done for Mario, Zelda, Pokemon in Melee, Starfox, and Kirby. And if the trend continues, DK and Metroid will get it in SSB4.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
They need to make-
A toon Ganondorf, and make
1 if not both Ganondorfs use a sword or
charge up energy blasts like samuses and can
be reflected by a sword.

More attacks like airgrabbing.

Change some of the attacks.

Isaac and Little Mac.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
And Ridley's the hero of Metroid in my eyes, seeing as how I love him:laugh:
Bowser's the Mario hero to me; he's the equivilent to me of Ridley to you :bee:.

I guess PT could be seen as a Pokemon antagonist (not villain), if you think about how the other Pokemon characters are wild and he wants to catch them, which they don't want lol.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Aagh! You're ****** my perception of Nintendo series!!!

On a lighter note I want a villain for every plausible series. For example, I want a DK villain (K.Rool) but for Pikmin a Bulborb would make a better boss.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Why? We should bring in characters based on how important and popular they are, and if their series needs more reps. Being a villian doesn't give you priority. Some villians deserve the spots (King K. Rool, Ridley), but not because they're villians.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why? We should bring in characters based on how important and popular they are, and if their series needs more reps. Being a villian doesn't give you priority. Some villians deserve the spots (King K. Rool, Ridley), but not because they're villians.
Villains usually do deserve the spots, because they are the PRIMARY villains. Bulborbs aren't even villains in Pikmin, they're hungry wild animals. But F-Zero should be getting its sidekick/antihero some time soon as well.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Sorry, but I just want more villains to balance it out a bit. Obviously only important ones. I say I would like, Ridley, K.Rool, Samurai Goroh, Mewtwo and possibly Kamek. Tell me if I'm missing anyone.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sorry, but I just want more villains to balance it out a bit. Obviously only important ones. I say I would like, Ridley, K.Rool, Samurai Goroh, Mewtwo and possibly Kamek. Tell me if I'm missing anyone.
Bowser Jr. > Kamek.

And some people would say Black Shadow, but I like Goroh more.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about Captain Syrup? Of course, she would have to appear in at least one more Wario game.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
You guys think snake will be in ssb4?
i mean..he was a big success for brawl, i think a lot of casual players got brawl because of snake.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You guys think snake will be in ssb4?
i mean..he was a big success for brawl, i think a lot of casual players got brawl because of snake.
Depends on Snake's popularity in a few years. He'll still be a fan fav in tournaments, but his fanbase outside Smash might wane, and Sakurai doesn't look into tournaments, of course.

And on Captain Syrup, I don't really think she'll be in, unless there's a great-selling Wario game before the release that boosts her fanbase more. Wario deserves two reps more than Yoshi but less than DK, which needs three (K.Rool). I've seen cool sets for her, so I wouldn't mind, but not before villains like K.Rool or Ridley.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I hope not. Most of Snake's history is on other consoles, and he only got in because Kojima sucked up to Sakurai.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I would want Snake to return simply because he's already in, and I don't want the Snake fans to become as whiny as the Mewtwo fans *is a Mewtwo fan*.

Plus I think Snake's really fun to play as. Traps and projectiles FTW!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think they should keep everyone. No removal. It might even save them time. I mean, if they never took anyone out, they just give everyone a graphic tweak and push them farther apart from the nearest clone.

And the only ones who would need THAT are...what...Luigi, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Young Link and Toon Link...

Doesn't seem THAT bad.

And yeah, I'd miss the codecs too. They're fun. Like Kirby hats.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think they should keep everyone. No removal. It might even save them time. I mean, if they never took anyone out, they just give everyone a graphic tweak and push them farther apart from the nearest clone.

And the only ones who would need THAT are...what...Luigi, Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Young Link and Toon Link...

Doesn't seem THAT bad.

And yeah, I'd miss the codecs too. They're fun. Like Kirby hats.
I don't think they'll bring back Young Link or Pichu; Dr. Mario maybe as an alt. costume if Sakurai is allowed to use alt. costumes, which he said couldn't be done because the official Nintendo character model had to be used alone. Mewtwo has a fair chance, but is no shoe-in. Roy has fanboys here and there, but I doubt he'll return over Ike.

Wolf and Lucas are good except for Final Smash, Falco can use more differentiation, and Luigi needs the Poltergust as a Down Special, and I wouldn't mind seeing his fireball being turned into green electricity. Toon Link needs some more unique Specials, and Ganon...good lord, give him a sword-using set, and one that makes him higher on the tier list. If Sakurai wants to please old Ganon users, give us Black Shadow as a clone from the same series and with less unique potential.

I hope Sakurai will learn from his mistakes. It seems like he spent the most time on the SSE, and as he put it, "Distilling gameplay", AKA casualizing the game. I think a roster of 50 is our best bet, maybe 51, as a throwback to the 1 extra that Smash has used before (51 and 41 event matches in Melee and Brawl respectively).

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't think they'll bring back Young Link or Pichu; Dr. Mario maybe as an alt. costume if Sakurai is allowed to use alt. costumes, which he said couldn't be done because the official Nintendo character model had to be used alone. Mewtwo has a fair chance, but is no shoe-in. Roy has fanboys here and there, but I doubt he'll return over Ike.

Wolf and Lucas are good except for Final Smash, Falco can use more differentiation, and Luigi needs the Poltergust as a Down Special, and I wouldn't mind seeing his fireball being turned into green electricity. Toon Link needs some more unique Specials, and Ganon...good lord, give him a sword-using set, and one that makes him higher on the tier list. If Sakurai wants to please old Ganon users, give us Black Shadow as a clone from the same series and with less unique potential.

I hope Sakurai will learn from his mistakes. It seems like he spent the most time on the SSE, and as he put it, "Distilling gameplay", AKA casualizing the game. I think a roster of 50 is our best bet, maybe 51, as a throwback to the 1 extra that Smash has used before (51 and 41 event matches in Melee and Brawl respectively).
Got a link in the statement from sakurai saying he could only use the official models? That sounds bogus to me.

Anyway. Dr. Mario should be a costume.
Pichu should come back as a pokemon for a Female PT. (Toss Jiggs and Gardivour in with her.)
Toss in Mewtwo.
Young link is Toon link. No problems there.
Make Roy an Alt costume for math (Like Daisy to Peach)

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Do not give Luigi his poultergust for a down special. Luigi is barely a semiclone and i don't want to get more like Mario. Seriously, the poultergust will just be a F.L.U.D.D. that works in reverse. Really, if you want to suck someone up get kirby and Dedede. Plus the tornado helps give luigi his super awesome recovery.

I don't want to see snake gone. He's fun to play as and he gives kirby the best costume EVER. I agree that i don't want to lose any characters either. I don't think we need toon and young link. We only need his latest nonadult reincarnation. I'd be fine with a dr. mario and maybe Roy alt costume. Even though sakurai thinks it might be weird to see Doc throwing fireballs.

And i don't think 50 will be the number. Since when has the roster been even. We had 12 to start with then 26 and then 37.

edit: I don't want a female Pokemon trainer. Seriously, do we need to trainers. I can see no point to it rather than trying to jam as many characters as possible into as little roster slots as possible. We already have one trainer. We don't need 2.

As for pichu, I would want a mode where every attack that misses hurts you. If it is multihit all you need is one hit. If you can continue it like Dk's down B each prolonged hit that misses hurts you. It would reduce spamming projectiles in that mode and it would kind of be a reminder of pichu.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just wanted them in because they had been in. Dr. Mario and Roy could be costumes.

Young Link and Toon Link are not the same thing. Young Link would have been uncloned as Mask Link or something.

That's like me saying Mario and Paper Mario are the same. Or Bowser and Bowser Jr. are the same.

We had 39 characters, not 37. 51 for the next roster sounds about right. 51-55. Somewhere in there.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't have the official link, but I remember hearing that Sakurai's team had to pay money to use each character, and they had to use the official Nintendo model. I'm not making this up, but I don't have a link, unfortunately. If I ever find it, I'll be sure to post it.

Luigi should keep the Tornado and get the Polgergust for a tether grab. It would differentiate his throws from Mario as well. However, it's obvious that Sakurai doesn't care about this kind of stuff...

A female trainer should only be in as a Pokemon Trainer alt, if that.

As cool as Masks Link would be, I think the game is a bit old for Sakurai to suddenly bring it back now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't have the official link, but I remember hearing that Sakurai's team had to pay money to use each character, and they had to use the official Nintendo model. I'm not making this up, but I don't have a link, unfortunately. If I ever find it, I'll be sure to post it.

Luigi should keep the Tornado and get the Polgergust for a tether grab. It would differentiate his throws from Mario as well. However, it's obvious that Sakurai doesn't care about this kind of stuff...

A female trainer should only be in as a Pokemon Trainer alt, if that.

As cool as Masks Link would be, I think the game is a bit old for Sakurai to suddenly bring it back now.
Well then, we'll only be getting Mewtwo. Jigglypuff is still in, so Pokemon R/B/Y is apparently NOT too old....or maybe it's just Pokemon.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Regarding Snake, I'm not saying he should be a definite cut. I'd really be fine with him in SSB4- what would really get on my nerves would be lack of important characters like King K. Rool and Ridley
and Paper Mario
.He just doesn't have quite as much importance to Nintendo as some other third party candidates. Also, codecs could be replaced with Paper Mario doing Tattles.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Address that ridley pictures i was shown i couple pages back(this thread advances alot in a day) okay maybe the size isn't as horrible looking as i picturedit, but like i said that you guys failed to adress, its that his stance i think would have to be flying, those other pics you have, it could be him crouching, but think how he would move. the onlt thing that i could think of is charizards running animation. But enough with ridley, if hes popular enough and the developer knows that he will be playable.

Different question, i was looking over my trophies today, and i was looking at the queen paletena(kid icarus) trophie. And was wondering do you think she would a nice addition to the roster. She is wielding a shield and that magic septer thing. She could easily be a nice parallel to pit. And she is a girl, something smash seriously lacks. A moveset wouldn't be hard seeing she has a shield, and magic septer, not hard to think of something when a weapon is involved. And she is the same size as pit. Its not likely but its a thought that i actually like a lot. What you guys think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think Palutena's chances depend on what her role is in Kid Icarus Wii (if it exists).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom