• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, everyone is partying while the Titantic is going down (the Titantic being the age of large newcomer lists). If you don't learn to temper your expectations in regards to the roster number, you will be severely disappointed in Smash 4 even if it were to rectify all the flaws Brawl had.

Remember, Sakurai originally was only going to have Melee have 20 characters, which would have only been a 8character increase over 64.

It seems as though everyone is covering their ears simply because what this revelation could mean to a lot of the characters on their fantasy rosters.
Eh...Maybe I didn't explain myself well in my post. I am in no way "covering my ears". I said I expect around 50+ characters, which is not out of the question. Also, I said that I knew speculation couldn't defeat reality. What I mean is that I am aware of the risks of speculation, but I like to do so anyway. While having my feet on Earth; as I said, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hopfully the next Smash Brothers hidden characters will bring more astonishment to people's minds than Smash X's rouster. :x ♥
Since you are posting on Western Smash forum, you should refer to Smash 3 by items Western name, whicch is Brawl. Doing otherwise, is... bizarre.

Anyway, if there are going to be only 9-12 newcomers for Smash 4, then I would say for Sakurai to only unveil half of those newcomers before the game's release. The other half should stay hidden. Brawl had an amazing newcomer list, unfortunately, Sakurai blew his load on the starting roster, which made a lot of people disappointed in Brawl's roster simply because the hidden character roster was lacking (only four of the hidden characters were newcomers we were not aware of prior to the game's release).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I would like to point out 50 is just an assumption. It not much proof he is going to make a 50 character roster. Remember that we are far away from the next Smash, so any choices on the roster are going to be made closer to when it is made.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hopfully the next Smash Brothers hidden characters will bring more astonishment to people's minds than Smash X's rouster. :x ♥
That reminds me of something. I think the Brawl roster would have had a better acceptance if the choices for starting and hidden characters were different.

The starting roster should have been this:

Original 12
Zero Suit Samus
Meta Knight
Dedede
Zelda/Sheik
Peach
Bowser
Diddy Kong
Marth
Pokemon Trainer
Wario
Ice Climbers

The hidden roster should have been this in this order

Falco
Ganondorf
Ike
Lucas
Lucario
Pikmin and Olimar
Wolf
Toon Link
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Pit
Snake
Sonic

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would like to point out 50 is just an assumption. It not much proof he is going to make a 50 character roster. Remember that we are far away from the next Smash, so any choices on the roster are going to be made closer to when it is made.
However, it is also the only number that has been given by Sakurai. If we base our assumptions around it, we will be AMAZED if the roster is higher than that.

Also, if you could choose only 10 newcomers to be in Smash 4, who would you choose?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Kuma: I'd switch Pit and Dedede.

Whenever trailers or info start leaking for SSB4, the hype will naturally raise everyone's expectations anyway.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@Kuma: I'd switch Pit and Dedede.

Whenever trailers or info start leaking for SSB4, the hype will naturally raise everyone's expectations anyway.
You didn't answer my question, if Sakurai said that he would only place in 10 newcomers into Smash 4, who would you choose for those 10 spots?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Smash X is so much cooler. :laugh:

Anyway, I'd definitely expect about 50 characters on the SSB4 roster. There were originally 12 characters. Melee added 14, and Brawl added 13, factoring in cuts and whatnot. So we're at 39 now, and the mathematical average number of newcomers is 13. That gives us 52, but 50's just so much more round and marketable, it's worth counting on 50.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
However, it is also the only number that has been given by Sakurai. If we base our assumptions around it, we will be AMAZED if the roster is higher than that.

Also, if you could choose only 10 newcomers to be in Smash 4, who would you choose?
It's only a hypothetical number. I would not give too much thought into. It would be like him saying 100 characters.

By the way, I have a way to include more characters that doesn't seem to be heard much (or most people don't care). I think alternate characters is something that should be in the next game.

If you've played Tekken 4, you may know what I'm talking about. Xiaoyu had an alternate costume where you played as her college friend. Likewise, Christie had alt. where you played as Eddy(ie?) Gordo. These alt. characters were essentially complete clones, but they existed underneath the original character's slot. I think this would work wonders for characters that otherwise would not stand much of a chance getting in like Daisy.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
That reminds me of something. I think the Brawl roster would have had a better acceptance if the choices for starting and hidden characters were different.

The starting roster should have been this:
Good. I was thinking more like this, though:

STARTERS:

-Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Bowser
-DK
-Diddy
-Link
-Zelda/Sheik
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Samus/ZSS
-Fox
-Falco
-Kirby
-Metaknight
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Ness
-Captain Falcon
-Ice Climbers
-Pit
-Marth

UNLOCKABLES

UNLOCKABLES

-King Dedede
-Ike
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Toon Link
-Lucario
-Ganondorf
-Lucas
-PT
-Captain Olimar
-Wolf
-R.O.B
-Snake
-Sonic

The ones that appeared in the trailer would have to be starters, IMO.

Then you also want the roster to be higher than 50, but stick with 50 so you have the chance to be surprised.

As for your question, eh, would have to think about it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The ones that appeared in the trailer would have to be starters, IMO.
I didn't take into consideration of the trailers because I made that list as if those trailers were done differently by introducing different characters.

Besides, I think Pit is better as an unlockable. He's retro (but for probably not long) and was highly demanded. Can you imagine the OMG reaction to him upon people unlocking him?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I didn't take into consideration of the trailers because I made that list as if those trailers were done differently by introducing different characters.

Besides, I think Pit is better as an unlockable. He's retro (but for probably not long) and was highly demanded. Can you imagine the OMG reaction to him upon people unlocking him?
Wasn't King Dedede more demanded than Pit?

People might not see King Dedede coming because Meta was already a character. And Pit...looks kinda cool (kinda). Very marketable!

Either way though.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
50 characters? meh... who to play?

Give me Mewtwo PLEASE. Thank you.

A Bowser's Castle level.

Dark Samus playable.

Ridley Playable.

Midna/Wolf Link.

Declone Ganondorf and luigify TL more.

Ganondorf: He's Nintendo's Sauron, why does he have the same moveset (Slightly altered) as a racer from the future?!

Toon Link: Well, he's Link, so just give him specials from the WW and PH and I'll be happy.

Ridley is not to big outside of the Prime series: resize him.

Dark Samus would not be a copy of Samus: play MP 2 and 3.

Midna/Wolf Link. Highly unique and would be a blast to play if done right.

Mewtwo: didn't deserve to be cut and needs a comeback: he's the second most wanted returning Melee character, just behind Roy. Bring them both back, alter Roy and beef up Mewtwo please!!!!!!

A Bowser's Castle level would be awesome... nuff said.

As for everything else... surprise me!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wasn't King Dedede more demanded than Pit?

People might not see King Dedede coming because Meta was already a character. And Pit...looks kinda cool (kinda). Very marketable!

Either way though.
I don't know if Dedede was demand more or not, but I think a resurrected retro character is much more appealing.

justaway12

Smash Master

1.)Mewtwo.
2.)Tails.
3.)Megaman.
4.)Bowser jr.
5.)K.Rool.
6.)Ridley.
7.)Ashley/Mona/Any Wario char.
8.)Waluigi.
9.)Krystal.
10.)Geno.

I know some of them won't come in and please don't turn it into Ridley/Krystal debate PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

DeadlyRed3Dawg

Smash Rookie

1)Geno- in one of the best mario RPGS imo and need to murder pit and R.O.B.
2)Chrono-was in one of the best RPGs of all time imo.
3)Baby Bowser- yoshi needs another representative
4) Phoenix Wright
5)Krystal- wolf?seriously
6)waluigi
7)Mona
thats all i got
for the game:
Make it as fast as melee
Balance out the characters more
take out flying.....in a game where you kill someone by knocking em off stage?but thats just me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

But.....it is all assumptions. He threw around 50. So what? 50 is a good clean number. It's a multiple of 10, even, and a good leg up from 39. It's not uncanny to think he said 50 because it was a good number off the top of his head. Doesn't mean that the roster will be 50.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Damm, all this talk about character's reminds me of how many character's I want on the next Smash Bros, it's not that many I want. So far my wish list is Arle Nadja, seeing that she's a Sega character, (if Smash allows another Sega game in), she is the main character of just about all the Puyo Puyo series except for the Fever seires, that was Amite. If you ever played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Kirby Avalance, the you have a taste of Puyo Puyo. Most of the siries is in Japan, most of them puzzle games, and some spinoff's like an RPG of some sort because all the character's can use magic attacks. The US have Puyo Pop Fever in english, so Arle has been seen of side Japan, I have no idea why they stopped because Fever 2 and 15th Anniversary is out after Puyo Pop Fever. But sadly, this can't do as long as Sonic leads Sega, but if they were to have another Sega character, hopfully Arle would be the one.

shazbot

Smash Apprentice
top 10
1. Simon belmont - biggest badass, started in nintendo
2. rash/pimple - <3 battletoads <3
3. Pheonix Wright - brings justice
4. Geno - duh
5. Hector - dude from fire emblem swingin around a huge axe
6. Lost vikings- everyone thought a paired char wouldn't work with IC'S, we were wrong
7. ryu hayabusa - ninja gaiden roxors
8. ryu/ken - Hadokun!
9 - blackbelt/fighter/red mage/black mage - any class from the original final fantasy would be sick
10. King K. Rool - smash always has more room for fatties

Mechanics: tag battle mode
each person (or 2 v 2) picks 2 characters. each character gets a set number of stocks and damage percent slowly goes back to zero when they are subbed out. mmmmmm tag combos in smash............. *day dreams about ultra broken/awesome combos that would ensue

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Damm, all this talk about character's reminds me of how many character's I want on the next Smash Bros, it's not that many I want. So far my wish list is Arle Nadja, seeing that she's a Sega character, (if Smash allows another Sega game in), she is the main character of just about all the Puyo Puyo series except for the Fever seires, that was Amite. If you ever played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Kirby Avalance, the you have a taste of Puyo Puyo. Most of the siries is in Japan, most of them puzzle games, and some spinoff's like an RPG of some sort because all the character's can use magic attacks. The US have Puyo Pop Fever in english, so Arle has been seen of side Japan, I have no idea why they stopped because Fever 2 and 15th Anniversary is out after Puyo Pop Fever. But sadly, this can't do as long as Sonic leads Sega, but if they were to have another Sega character, hopfully Arle would be the one.
Arle is cool, but she will definitely not make it into SSB4. First there'd be Lip beforehand, considering she has the same situation as Arle, just that she's first party. And Puyo is not that big of a series, and is not as known as Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack. I don't know, is there even a Puyo game on a Nintendo system?
Sega has far more choices that would make it as a character into Smash before Arle, like big parts of the Sonic cast, NiGHTS and Ulala (she had one game on the GBA, if I remember correctly).

§leepy God

Smash Master
Arle is cool, but she will definitely not make it into SSB4. First there'd be Lip beforehand, considering she has the same situation as Arle, just that she's first party. And Puyo is not that big of a series, and is not as known as Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack. I don't know, is there even a Puyo game on a Nintendo system?
Sega has far more choices that would make it as a character into Smash before Arle, like big parts of the Sonic cast, NiGHTS and Ulala (she had one game on the GBA, if I remember correctly).
Well, Puyo Pop Fever was on all the systems on the sixth gen including the DS and the PSP, this game was the first Puyo Puyo game to hit the US market. Puyo Pop Fever 2 was on PSP, DS and PS2 only. 15th was on the Wii, PSP, PS2, and the DS, only the DS has online. Your right that the game's rep isn't too high and Night's is a much better choice, I'm not too sure about Ulala because I haven't played her games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
01) Geno - Wooden incarnation of awesomeness
02) Ridley
03) K. Rool
04) Sukapon
05) Bomberman
06) Mega Man
07) Simon Belmont
08) Toad
09) Waluigi - Eh, what the heck. Not a fan, but you can play Wario Bros vs Mario Bros
10) Wart - NEEDS his revenge!!!

I ran out of ideas who I really wanted after the first 3 so I ended up just putting anything I could think of

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, Puyo Pop Fever was on all the systems on the sixth gen including the DS and the PSP, this game was the first Puyo Puyo game to hit the US market. Puyo Pop Fever 2 was on PSP, DS and PS2 only. 15th was on the Wii, PSP, PS2, and the DS, only the DS has online. Your right that the game's rep isn't too high and Night's is a much better choice, I'm not too sure about Ulala because I haven't played her games.
Ulala is one of Sega's most popular non-Sonic characters. The Space Channel 5-series are pretty much one of the best known games of the Dreamcast, and one of the first rhythm games, as well.
I think looking at the cast of Sega Superstar Tennis for seeing what the most likely character options are wouldn't be too stupid.

And, looking at it, I forgot about Aiai (Super Monkey Ball), Samba de Amigo and Billy Hatcher, who all probably would even get to represent Sega before Ulala does.

gantrain05

Smash Master
my list of crazy characters that would probably never make it into smash

1. Double dragons
2. that dinosaur thing from bubble bobble
3.Mog from ff6
4master higgins from adventure island games
5.the dude from contra

i can't think of any other chars, but those are the games i grew up with on the ol' nes and snes. lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rash, Zit, and Pimple!

...Than again, they are RARE's characters...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here are my top ten:

1. Tom Nook
2. Lip
3. Krystal
4. Captain Syrup
5. RAY
6. Bowser Jr.
7. K. Rool
8. Ridley
9. Little Mac
10. Megaman

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
The main points I want in SSB4 are:

-NO TRIPPING
-All stages from all SSB games
-Characters that people REALLY want: Geno, for example (judging from the amount of views on that youtube video)
-Moving a bit faster. Brawl is kinda slow
-A story line that's actually more of a story. I guess Brawl's does work for an SSB game, but it's still lacking a backbone.
-Larger Stages
-No clone characters

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Here is my top 10 newcomers:
1. Bowser Jr.
2. Issac
3. Ryu
4. King K. Rool
5. Saki
6. Samurai Goroh
7. Takamaru
8. Crono
9. Toon Zelda/Toon Tetra
10. Toon Ganondorf

Screw the rules, I have my opinion!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I don't understand why a lot of people feel SSB4 needs however many new female characters.
Sure, a few new female reps are ok, but do we need Krystal, Daisy, Rosalina, Lyn, Captain Syrup, Mona, Takamaru, and Ashley?
I like a lot of those characters, except Krystal, and I don't know anything about Lyn, Syrup and Takamaru, but having around 8 female newcomers when Brawl only got around 15 (I've probably missed or added some there) newcomers is a bit ridiculous.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Takamaru is male... And no, we don't need Lyn, and especially not 2 Peach clones (Daisy, Rosalina). But we need Lip.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I assume that improvement of diversity in character design - not just on new characters, but existing ones - is a given and need not be expanded on (see Make Your Move).

Though I'd love for Nintendo to dig a bit deeper into its other franchises and once-offs for characters as opposed to dishing out even more from the same ones. Pit, Mr. Game and Watch, Ike and others were good starts, but there's still the odd series that could use support. How about Mach Rider, Advance Wars or Sin and Punishment? We don't need to prioritise another Mario representative.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Stickers option for multiplayer.
Better map creator.
More options for online play. (Like stocks?!)
Smashable B moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom