• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
P.S. People make mistakes. I'm sorry if I angerred any of you. (But seriously, I said one thing and you guys chew me out for a half a page, REALLY) So let's all just put it behind us. I'm not an idiot and you guys aren't what I wanted to say you were earlier.
Not all of us are mean :D

madeyoulook:mad:

Not to insult you, but that'd probably be if they were stupid. Really, Nintendo wants money. That's not money.
Yeah...if they're ever going to make SSB64 completely playable, they will make you pay for it somehow.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
Not all of us are mean :D
I know, I just meant the people who had that conflict with me.

Again, sorry if I angerred any of you. Just don't pick on me for saying one stupid thing. I would really enjoy not being the hated one of the forums. (unless it just happens out of random.:confused: I mean, Chief Mendez was on my butt the second I joined the forums:ohwell:)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I know, I just meant the people who had that conflict with me.

Again, sorry if I angerred any of you. Just don't pick on me for saying one stupid thing. I would really enjoy not being the hated one of the forums. (unless it just happens out of random.:confused: I mean, Chief Mendez was on my butt the second I joined the forums:ohwell:)
Don't feel bad. It happens. And to everyone. Chief Mendez, if you ask me... err... no I won't say. But yeah, don't worry too much about it.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Hmm... in SSB4, they really need to take as long as possible.

Well, I mean they need to take all the time they need.

This way, the game will feel complete and we won't have any "Forbidden [insert number here]" characters, or stages, etc.

This way,t he game will really feel polished and complete. Melee didn't feel that way, and Brawl definitely feels more polished and complete, but not entirely.

Oops!

I said the words "Melee" and "Brawl" in the same sentence together!
*Backs away slowly*

The gameplay needs to be adjusted...

And Online should be better-structured.

More characters would be nice but would only please people to a certain extent.

There's my two cents.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see more wacky character models. I eventually get bored of "all heavy characters are slow, all light characters are quick". I want to see a character with super-slow speed but ridiculous, MK-type priority, and other stuff along those lines.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
I just got a new idea!!! If the character list ends up not being to everyones expectations, how about downloadable characters!!! Think about it, no Knuckles...DOWNLOAD, no Ridley...DOWNLOAD, no Shadow Queen.....you get the idea. If it works for songs on Rock Band and Guitar Hero, why wouldn't it work for characters on Smash IV.:)

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
I just got a new idea!!! If the character list ends up not being to everyones expectations, how about downloadable characters!!! Think about it, no Knuckles...DOWNLOAD, no Ridley...DOWNLOAD, no Shadow Queen.....you get the idea. If it works for songs on Rock Band and Guitar Hero, why wouldn't it work for characters on Smash IV.:)
If it is possible, I would definatley love to see this! It could be a monthly update thing. Including Stages, items, and trophies as well. This way the Smash dojo can live on with infinate updates! I can't think of any characters I would want added at this point.

When I started speculating about Smash brawl, all I wanted added was Olimar and another Mother character. Both of my wishes were granted. I was also pleasently surprised by Pokemon Trainer though. Then I played Brawl and think Melee is inferior in every way. It's going to be near impossible to top this one. All it needs is a flawless online and no tripping.

teen-robot

Smash Cadet
if it's possible then it would be crashing in online play cuz maybe the other guy did not download it
and if it would happen i'd be sure that nintendo would let you pay for them >>
but if they would do these ontly updates they could just add all these charcters automaticly to the game
cuz eventually it would have the same outcome

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Perhaps the Downloads would instead need to be Updates, so that everyone could have them and online mode wouldn't crash.

Then again, when you just turn on the game(on Brawl) and haven't unlocked any new characters and go Online, you can still face other people who have, say, Wolf or Toon Link, and it works fine.

But maybe this is a different story...

PD4FR

Smash Ace
I was thinking more along the lines of "if they wanted to make a better game out of SSB4".;)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Waaaaaaaay back there:

"The Lost Zones", as they were called earlier, are the stages where Shadow Mario takes FLUDD away and you have to platform your way to the Shine Sprite. Like, the ones in space.

Downloadable characters could work like this: You get an update and the character is put on your Wii, but you have to buy it to play it.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
How about Sakurai keeps making the game and you go sit over there.
I didn't want to have to do this... but you leave me know choice.

It surprises me anyone suggest he dumbed down the game.
Obviously you aren't familar with Melee, and if you are not, should not be debating this topic. Even mentioning you're surprised is automatically a sign of ignorance. No hit stun = no combos. That's dumbed down. Tripping? Dumbed down. Decrease in speed? Dumbed down.

First, he didnj't make the game for Tourney***s. He made a 4 player fighting game, and he tried to make it as fun as possible.
Why are you on a competitive smash forum then? And if he made it for four players, why have the option to only do one, two, or three? The point remains, he could have satisfied both parties by simply making it competitive. The casuals wouldn't care because it was smash, but as for the people who think competitive play is fun (Yes, that's subjective before you go inserting it into your post as a fact.) they would also be pleased.

The means no more wavedashing or L-canceling. Only 2% could do them so who cares.
Shows how much you know. Wavedashing and L-canceling are ridiculously easy. Implementing them into your game is what counts. To me, it sounds like you're johning because you were terrible at Melee (Which obviously you were if you couldn't L-cancel.) and now that Brawl is out, you're happy that the game has such a low skill cap. Do your research next time before insulting a whole community of people. We don't care if you're casual, but don't bash on us being competitive.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Obviously you aren't familar with Melee, and if you are not, should not be debating this topic. Even mentioning you're surprised is automatically a sign of ignorance. No hit stun = no combos. That's dumbed down. Tripping? Dumbed down. Decrease in speed? Dumbed down.
Dumbing something down means to oversimplify it. The only one of those points that's even remotely valid is the one about hit-stun and combos, and even then, it kind of depends on your view. Tripping definitely does not oversimplify the game, and likewise, slowing the game down does not make it any more simple. To make something more random is not to dumb it down. To make something easier is not to dumb it down. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Why are you on a competitive smash forum then? And if he made it for four players, why have the option to only do one, two, or three? The point remains, he could have satisfied both parties by simply making it competitive. The casuals wouldn't care because it was smash, but as for the people who think competitive play is fun (Yes, that's subjective before you go inserting it into your post as a fact.) they would also be pleased.
Okay, please don't make crap like that up. First of all, nowhere is this said to be a competitive Smash forum. This is a forum for all Smashers, competitive or not. Second, don't assume casuals are mindless drones who'd play it and love it just because "it was Smash." That aside, I agree that he could've catered the game to both parties, but I really don't take kindly to your implications about casual Smashers not caring about or appreciating what goes into the game.

Shows how much you know. Wavedashing and L-canceling are ridiculously easy. Implementing them into your game is what counts. To me, it sounds like you're johning because you were terrible at Melee (Which obviously you were if you couldn't L-cancel.) and now that Brawl is out, you're happy that the game has such a low skill cap. Do your research next time before insulting a whole community of people. We don't care if you're casual, but don't bash on us being competitive.
Again, you really ought to stop assuming junk about casual Smashers. Believe it or not, not all of us wanted/want to implement Wavedashing and L-cancelling into our games. Some of us actually do like the game at its natural level, without all the gimmicks and "advanced techniques" that people can pull off. Also, don't even try to give us crap about "if you couldn't L-cancel, you were obviously terrible at Melee." I, for one, don't care to learn or use L-cancelling, and I consider myself quite good at Melee. Our scene is far from being the same as yours, but it doesn't mean we can't be skilled in our own right, so if you'd kindly cut the crap, I'd much appreciate it. Brawl's "low skill cap" is nothing more than a back-to-the-fundamentals step for Smash. No gimmicks, no tricks, no advanced techniques, just good old-fashioned "outthink your opponent." Now, if you don't appreciate that, that's fine, but recognize that some of us do, and that we feel that things like Wavedashing and L-cancelling take away from that.

So in your own words, "do your research next time before insulting a whole community of people." Yeah, the casuals are one, too. I'm not in any way bashing competitive Smashers or the competitive scene, I'm just considerably insulted by the way you're talking about casual Smash.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
What do you mean by that?
I was just saying if they wanted SSB4 to be better, they should do that, because some SSB fans would have a larger urge to get the game, because people who played SSB would really want to have it on the Wii, plus the fourth game in the series on the same disc.

I hope this made sense.:)

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
If it is possible, I would definatley love to see this! It could be a monthly update thing. Including Stages, items, and trophies as well. This way the Smash dojo can live on with infinate updates! I can't think of any characters I would want added at this point.

When I started speculating about Smash brawl, all I wanted added was Olimar and another Mother character. Both of my wishes were granted. I was also pleasently surprised by Pokemon Trainer though. Then I played Brawl and think Melee is inferior in every way. It's going to be near impossible to top this one. All it needs is a flawless online and no tripping.
EPIC WIN!!!! Tripping=useless...current online=piece of bull$#!t.

also, EPIC WIN!!!! for the DLC idea.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
The point is that if nintendo forgot to add a character or something, you could download it. Don't forget that there's A LOT of characters people would have liked to see in Brawl but didn't get in. It's like the downloadable songs for rock band and guitar hero, they weren't put in the game so you download them.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The point is that if nintendo forgot to add a character or something, you could download it. Don't forget that there's A LOT of characters people would have liked to see in Brawl but didn't get in. It's like the downloadable songs for rock band and guitar hero, they weren't put in the game so you download them.
How could they "forget" something like that? I think it's a waste and all the characters might as well already be in the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How could they "forget" something like that? I think it's a waste and all the characters might as well already be in the game.
Well, there are time constraints. Besides, they could do this just because it's an easy money maker.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
if it's possible then it would be crashing in online play cuz maybe the other guy did not download it
and if it would happen i'd be sure that nintendo would let you pay for them >>
but if they would do these ontly updates they could just add all these charcters automaticly to the game
cuz eventually it would have the same outcome
Not at all.

I'm sure the game could handle a different model interacting within it, couldn't it?

But if not, you have a point. however if you are going to be playing online, just like teh wii does updates occasionally, it could update your game so that you don't have the character (still have to download/buy it), but your game recognizes it.

--DL characters should be available at game stop. Like say you don't have access to internet, you go to gamestop and purchase it their, they give you a disc or someting and you plop itin to update brawl--is thsi possible?

This way, the game will feel complete and we won't have any "Forbidden [insert number here]" characters, or stages, etc.

This way,t he game will really feel polished and complete. Melee didn't feel that way, and Brawl definitely feels more polished and complete, but not entirely.

Oops!

*Backs away slowly*

There's my two cents.
Sakurai shouldn't blab news of it to everyone so early.... Seriously! He writes like one blog and puts a few pics up and WAMO the earth explodes in sheer giddiness of the thought of a new smash game (hyperbole, but not by much).

He shouldn't release news on the game until it's practically ready to ship. That way, there's no big rush on the development team (at least not as much as one). Hell, they could release demos to game magazines and crap and then let them publish an article on it, about the game play and how it relates to past titles, wait for feedback, do some polishing, then release a downloadable demo for the public (or t least in some places) to get even better feedback, then update the game some more, then do some fine-tuning, THEN blog a crapload about it, THEN let the media go crazy over it, THEN start up the spoiler bandwagon, THEN release it. And all this is after they've actually finished the game modes and what not.

Things they should concentrate on:

Single Player experience--seriously, the SSE had so much potential, but they blew it--BIG TIME.

Online--Fix it! To me it's okay, but it could be a lot better.

Stage builder--come on, Sakurai, make it as good as Mario vs. DK2's, AT LEAST. (I like mvs.dk2's, actually).

---------

I like brawl's game physics, the floatyness is awkward at first but you adapt fast. Plus it seems easier to spot-dodge on Brawl, and defense is pushed more in Brawl than in Melee--something I like.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Sakurai shouldn't blab news of it to everyone so early.... Seriously! He writes like one blog and puts a few pics up and WAMO the earth explodes in sheer giddiness of the thought of a new smash game (hyperbole, but not by much).

He shouldn't release news on the game until it's practically ready to ship. That way, there's no big rush on the development team (at least not as much as one).
Iwata's the one who "blabbed" about the game before anyone was actually set to work on it. >_>' And come on, the unprecedented Smash Dojo updates every weekday were just fun to wake to (or not go to bed for waiting for). Not to mention we got insight into the guy; it was enjoyable to see he's just as much a fan of the games he works on, if not moreso, than anyone else.

Oops!

*Backs away slowly*

There's my two cents.
Well the game was being worked on for over 2 years. I don't think were rushing particularly. Not to mention there isn't toooo much they could've added I think, as the game was already pushing 8 out of 8.5 gigs on a dual-layer disc (which incidentally, is why the game takes so long to load half the content), and there's already stuff they left out that was planned to be included.

As for online play...yeah. Booting idle players would've been great. A messaging system so you can actually talk to people on your Friend Roster when you're online together would've been nice. And getting rid of the random disconnects/not being able to find anyone IN THE ENTIRE WORLD SOMEHOW would be awesome, too. Basically all the stuff it took Nintendo up until Mario Kart to get right for their online service, for some reason.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
Is there any way AT ALL we can influence the development of the next Smash? And I don't mean just by voting for characters. I mean ideas for stages, items, ATs, Pokeballs, Trophies, Game Modes...

I have so much, SO much ideas as of now, and it would be a shame to see them ignored. I think most of them are pretty good.

MyNameIsRyan

Smash Journeyman
Well there's a tree... and.... uh i see a car... a
Is there any way AT ALL we can influence the development of the next Smash? And I don't mean just by voting for characters. I mean ideas for stages, items, ATs, Pokeballs, Trophies, Game Modes...

I have so much, SO much ideas as of now, and it would be a shame to see them ignored. I think most of them are pretty good.
Sakurai:*laughs*

Lol im kidding

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

That's how a lot of people here feel. Sadly, we probably won't have the chance to directly influence anything.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
It's too bad. If one wants to create a movie, a song, a TV series or something for the future, one can pitch ideas now and keep them, then use then later on the future. The ideas would actually end up being useful, will make you happy, and probably will get you some cash as a nice bonus.

If you're a fan, that changes completely. You could have been alive back then and have composed the best song ever for the Beatles, but chances are they would have never taken notice. It's the same here. One of us could easily pitch a better concept for a game mode, character, stage and so on than whoever directs SSB4. But our creativity remains ignored.

Yep, I feel rather philosophical right now...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
'Better' is subjective though. And there are many more factors that go into including things into a game like Smash, but we don't want to talk about those things because it'll make our heads hurt.

SHADOW QUEEN FOR BRAWL!

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
Isn't Nintendo Power no longer owned by Nintendo, though, or something along those lines?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Isn't Nintendo Power no longer owned by Nintendo, though, or something along those lines?
Yup. They're published by a local, Wahington-based company nowadays, I think.

Not that they're worth reading, or anything. :ohwell:

BTW THIS THREAD IS STILL SILLY

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
Which is a real shame. I know that "good" is subjective, and what may be a marvelous idea for some could be interpreted as utter trash by others. But still, if only fans were given more of a voice in the Smash series, besides limiting it to picking up members of the roster...

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
The Brawl game could be better but it could also be worst. Yeah their are some things in the game that are annoying like tripping. Overall i think its a good game and its very fun to play with a group of friend. I would like them to add more characters you guys listed and take out some of the bad ones. I really think they should get rid of characters that haven't had games in a while and put in up to date ones. Another idea I think they could do is make some final smashes more avoidable so competition can raise. For example on flat levels like Battle Field Wolf, fox, or Falco's final smash owns everybody and its basically unavoidable. I believe they should start to make team attacks were two players join and do massive damage. This could spread team battle popularity a bit. Overall I like brawl and think its fun but they could add some more things and get some things out.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
It's no use, but hey, if no one is taking my ideas in account it won't damage to post them here. Just the first tiny ones that pop up on my mind concerning alternate colors/costumes. Of course I do have bigger ones about mroe stuff , but I will stick with minor stuff here.

-Toon Link should have an alternate color based on "A Link To The Past". This is, pink hair and stuff.
-Mr. Game & Watch has a "Sketch" alternate color. This is, he loses all color except for the lines that define him, therefore you are able to see through him.
-If Mewtwo does come back (hopefully) he will have a Mew alternate color; this is, all pink with blue eyes.
-Pikachu's new alternate colors include Raichu's skin and Pichu's skin. Notice that this is NOT an alternate costume, just that Pikachu's skin colors will resemble those of Raichu and Pichu.
-Kirby has an alternate color that resembles a Waddle Doo.
-Yoshi's ever-growing set of colors now include White Yoshi and Black Yoshi
-Mario's ideal alternate costume would be, of course, Dr. Mario. And here's something; when using Dr. Mario as an alternate costume, he will throw pills instead of fireballs. Knockback and damage will remain the same, so it's more of a visual (and audio) effect. Not to mention Mario's new alt color inspired on the color pallet he used on SMB
-Luigi has a Mr. L alternate costume. Oh yes.
-Pit should have a fire red, devilish alternate costume. You know what it would resemble >D
-Ness having a Ninten alt, anyone?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know what? Every chracter should get like..... ten costume colors. We need to see Shadow Kirby and Black Yoshi damm it!!!

SirKibble

Smash Champion
-Toon Link should have an alternate color based on "A Link To The Past". This is, pink hair and stuff.
This could work.

-Mr. Game & Watch has a "Sketch" alternate color. This is, he loses all color except for the lines that define him, therefore you are able to see through him.
That's a little unfair, methinks, as it makes him harder to see.

-If Mewtwo does come back (hopefully) he will have a Mew alternate color; this is, all pink with blue eyes.
That would look kind of weird... But either way, I don't expect we'll see Mewtwo again.

-Pikachu's new alternate colors include Raichu's skin and Pichu's skin. Notice that this is NOT an alternate costume, just that Pikachu's skin colors will resemble those of Raichu and Pichu.
Okay, i'll buy that.

-Kirby has an alternate color that resembles a Waddle Doo.
Um... Like, he actually looks like a Waddle Doo, or just goes the color of one? Because if he actually looks like a Waddle Doo, he is going to swallow...via...his eye?

-Yoshi's ever-growing set of colors now include White Yoshi and Black Yoshi
I don't know why everyone's so crazed about getting these, but okay, whatever.

-Mario's ideal alternate costume would be, of course, Dr. Mario. And here's something; when using Dr. Mario as an alternate costume, he will throw pills instead of fireballs. Knockback and damage will remain the same, so it's more of a visual (and audio) effect. Not to mention Mario's new alt color inspired on the color pallet he used on SMB
I guess if you must have the Doc back...

-Luigi has a Mr. L alternate costume. Oh yes.
Okay, sure.

[/quote]-Pit should have a fire red, devilish alternate costume. You know what it would resemble >D[/quote]

Okay...

-Ness having a Ninten alt, anyone?
They already look so similar... What's the real point?

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
SirKibble: Let's see...

Mr G & W: If so, a simple solution would be to ban the alt color on tourneys. That way it will remain for casual ply, and I bet it would be a popular choice for just-for-fun matches.

About Mewtwo I don't either, even if I seriously want to. But hey, the weird feeling is subjective. Some may like it, some may hate it to death.

On Kirby, he would have the colors of the Waddle Doo.

About Ness and Ninten, I don't think that's a big problem. Snake's blue costumes are pretty similar between each other. Besides there are some minor differences, like the Pacman-esque eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom