• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

idask

Smash Rookie
Well, i looked over the advanced thecs and found nothing about it, so ill ask here : )
How do I run and do a UP smas while still sliding?

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Why do i see barely any snakes using dsmash when they have the opportunity to do so (Dead enemy, star K.O)

-Ran

Smash Master
Why do i see barely any snakes using dsmash when they have the opportunity to do so (Dead enemy, star K.O)
I usually plant D-Smash on one edge of the stage, and then run to the other. This will usually force them to burn their invincibility to destroy the mine. As they are doing so, I've cooked my grenades to start forcing their approach. The other time I utilize it is if I throw my opponent at higher percents off the stage. Sometimes I'll do setups if they aren't approaching, such as grenade > shield drop-> landmine > instant throw grenade.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
A blast from the past, and a bit rusty. An old challenger approaches :)
Still playing smash at all? Or moved back to melee?
Haha, my name quite suits me now. Smash won't die for me anytime soon but I have been playing melee more than brawl, and project M too. As far as normal brawl I've taken a liking to Zamus. Not sure why...

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Why is moving toward your opponent backwards while holding a grenade better than forwards?

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys ever tried the airdodge nanceling item toss with a nade when short hopping over an opponent and landing on the other side of them? It can for example get you a pivot grab if they shield it.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
short hopping over an opponent? this sounds like a terrible idea.

in other news, i think i discovered something minor. at least, i've never seen it before.

if we jab someone against a wall, and they miss the tech, they land on their backs. jab lock against wall, anyone?

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
short hopping over an opponent? this sounds like a terrible idea.

in other news, i think i discovered something minor. at least, i've never seen it before.

if we jab someone against a wall, and they miss the tech, they land on their backs. jab lock against wall, anyone?
Tested this on shadow moses.

Works 100%.

Haha, my name quite suits me now. Smash won't die for me anytime soon but I have been playing melee more than brawl, and project M too. As far as normal brawl I've taken a liking to Zamus. Not sure why...
Someone I knew had a theory that all melee players play Ike, Fox, or ZSS. You are conforming to that theory lol

How has melee been doing for you? I've been sticking with both of them, but the constant switching back and forth always makes you feel extremely sluggish.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
i've always found it better to camp him, especially from below platforms.

you only rush in after limiting his landing options; he's got a blind spot diagonally below him (boomerang doesn't count because it's cancelled by dash attack and utilt/ftilt).

evade projectiles with movements, not dodges. there's plenty of time to move out of the way and respond with a long lasting projectile of your own.

good toon links are impossibly hard to hit with grenades, especially the way they air camp, I am pretty sure toon link outcamps snake hard

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Would anyone mind telling me how to do the Wolf mu, because I get a bit overwhelmed when I don't know what moves I can use against theirs to beat them. It may possibly just be not knowing how to get past that bair ,but yeah I got wrecked by Kain this weekend on livestream. T_T

Also if I could get any tips about the Wario mu as well it'd be much appreciated. =D

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
against Wario, pivot grab... LOTS. imo it works well against double jump dair bombing. don't let your guard down; use grenades, and don't expect to shield grab him much because of his bite pressure. space utilt against bite, and correctly executed double jump rising nairs and full hop bairs work for me. (use the random unexpected factor to your advantage. jumping snakes?!)

You can grab air release Wario into the following things:
sourspotted utilt
sweetspot bair
sourspotted uair
nair (don't do this, good warios will sdi)
C4 sticky

make sure to not to try to grab release Wario at ludicrously high percents on smashville. They will just exploit the timing so that they release once the platform is above them.

tech chase on wario is EAAAASYPEEEZEEEE. follow that **** to the ends of the earth with our damage racking down throw.

Wario can get extremely high up in the blast zone with his jumps/bike. don't be predictable with your recovery.

I don't know the wolf mu that well yet either. I get beaten by Jband's booty pocket wolf. -_-

Attila_

BRoomer
grab release definitely combos to sweetspot uair, and kills at about 130% regardless of di.

would like to know which platforms you can do this under, though.

play against wario like you have no interest in fighting him. camp, then run away when he gets near. it's gay, but he'd do exactly the same thing to you.

lol I didn't know you could get a C4 sticky out of that air release.

Well, platforms that height of SV/BF/PS2/PS1/YI don't work. And the only lower platforms than those are the ones on Lylat. I think that might work.

Mike2

Smash Ace
I would search this but I have no idea of what it's called or where to find it.
What's that thing called where you're holding a nade, then you fsmash but there's no missile in it? and how is it done?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Hold A after picking up the nade, & then c-stick forward. I don't think it's much outside of a mindgame.

EDIT: Also it was Kain, & every Wario at SIIS except for Kryztedes. >_> lol

DOUBLE EDIT:Also Snap. It was more of the Wolf mu that had me so confused, but that is really neat about the c4 sticky lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I've had much more consistent shield pokes when forward smashing while holding a nade. I think it changes the direction of the hitbox slightly.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Just ask wilmenz. It might be very situational but my point is IF YOUR GONNA FSMASH. Do it while holding a nade. I don't advocate trying to abuse it.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
it changes the hitbox?! say whaaa? I'm gonna do some testing with this gimmick. >_>

also you guys should learn your platform cancels. There are some very good mindgames that can be incorporated against wario regarding grab release/platform cancelling. If he releases above you on the platform in smashville, just platform cancel while buffering grab because he's most likely going to shield. then you can either tech chase the little fart or grab release again. (does it work on a moving platform?)

also.. has anyone realized that boost dash grabbing approach works well with Snake before they catch on? worked on everyone in friendlies at that MK ban tournament. I think it's cause they expect a dash attack. >_>

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Yeah I know that just simply running past someone, & pivot grabbing seems to work oftne, but that's not like Snake specific or anything though lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Idk it may have something to do with the z-axis with the way the thing looks if you pause. I don't have anything official besides in game results to showcase it.

Also, well ofc, mixing up dash attack and dash grab is such a simple but effective technique especially when you throw in some nadeplay around those tactics.

Attila_

BRoomer
i teach people a false dash attacking approach habit, before running in and grabbing when they reach death percents. works like a charm.

grab releasing wario on the sv platform would only work if the platform was travelling the opposite way you're facing when you grab him.

also, i've been watching a lot of shogun and kurobi lately, and noticed they will almost always drop nades when trapped inside nado. does anyone know the mechanics of this?

-Ran

Smash Master
It could just be that while they are SDing to get out of the tornado, they're mashing special to drop a grenade the moment they can.

Mike2

Smash Ace
i teach people a false dash attacking approach habit, before running in and grabbing when they reach death percents. works like a charm.

grab releasing wario on the sv platform would only work if the platform was travelling the opposite way you're facing when you grab him.

also, i've been watching a lot of shogun and kurobi lately, and noticed they will almost always drop nades when trapped inside nado. does anyone know the mechanics of this?
Schmot could you post the links to the videos where you see this? Much appreciated

Top Bottom