• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ROB Ranking Thread - A Fresh Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I could only find the Diddy vs. ROB matches you did vs. AlphaZealot, t0mmy, and I have to say: great job! That last one was really close!

HugS™

Smash Lord
Ok, time for me to chime in here...

It's funny because I'm here reading some of these comments, mainly the negative ones about me, and it is only now that I REALLY care about exceeding everyone's expectations and meeting my own.

However, when it comes time to perform, I simply don't have the same kind of drive as I used to. I mean I'll sit here a week before EVO at home and think "It'd be cool to place top 7 with my ROB, I'm gonna try decently hard to do that". But then it comes time for the tournament, and I'm hanging out with all my good friends, talking to new people, doing an interview, chilling with the hosts, signing controllers/shirts, gathering 15 smashers to go eat, sleeping in and seeing if EVO will hold up for me :), pretty much just enjoying the experience of tournaments.

It all kind of takes away from the performance aspect of the tournament. And you know what? I simply don't have enough of a drive to care, and it keeps getting worse at times. I mean I still get slightly mad when I lose at times, but that's not what I mean by caring for the big picture. If I really do care a lot, it's only in that exact moment I lose.

So I can sit here and explain how I will place highest with ROB, or how I know I can be better than every ROB out there, but when it comes time for tournament, I probably won't care enough to do so. I played a total of 4 friendlies at Genesis, and none at EVO.

So I guess I'll only perform as well as my drive will let me, which apparently is a shoo-in for top 4 as a ROB main, haha :)

And this is not to belittle anyone with aspirations of becoming the best with ROB or to become one of the 10 best players in the nation period with a character like ROB. I understand more than anyone how good of a feeling it is, how great of an accomplishment that will be.

I still believe the average Pro gamer has a career lifespan of about 4 years, measured from the beginning of their success up until they are no longer driven, retire, or simply can't hang with the new scene. Unless I find something completely new to care about, and it shames me to say this, I think I just may be about done caring.

I feel like a loser saying such things, but it's better to come to grips with reality than to continue saying I'll do better knowing full well I won't care when it comes time to perform.

Some other old timers might know what I mean. But without a drive, it doesn't matter how smart you are...you lose it. And by old timers, I don't mean those of you who have been around as long as I have, but those who have had success as long as I have.

I really mean it, I've done a lot with Smash. I'm not just saying this cuz I've placed well in a so-so region for 3 months upon a game's release. No, I've really done almost everything there is to do with this Smash. I've traveled the nation, done interviews, been featured in articles, been paid to play, been the best with a character, been top 10 in the nation (Arguably :)), led regional crews, won regional crews, heard the biggest crowd in the history of smash (1200+) simultaneously cheering my name while I fought the King of Smash. I've done and seen almost everything, including some accomplishments within Brawl.

I've even done all the bad things like losing to underdogs, getting ***** on camera, blowing huge matches, placing 4th in teams with m2k :)

So when it comes time to prove I'm the best ROB, I just kind of think to myself "Why?". I've already earned the respect of many smashers, I'm already well known across the community, I've already solidified myself as one of the all-time great smashers, and most importantly, I've become content and sometimes overwhelmed with what I've done with Smash.

So I feel it's time to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Like a billionaire going into retirement...It's time to relax.

EDIT: And no, this is no retirement speech. Who knows what will go through my head when people start excluding me from "top player" conversations. Just explaining to you all why I've been on a slump.

EDIT2: I'm fully aware this is one big elaborate john. But I believe in the validity of legit johns, and this is a legit one. Haha.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Ok, time for me to chime in here...
I want hear moar! There's lots of great moments I probably haven't heard about yet.
Write a blog about these things?

I don't know if you communicated how you feel so well, or if I'm just right behind you in this procession (coming in a few years later than you in the Smash scene). I say the same things like how I'm going to step it up and practice and bring something new to the scene. Then life johnz get in the way, I get busy with so much stuff, nobody within 300 miles of me wants to play the game... next thing I know there's that big tourney I was looking forward to and it's more of an opportunity to have fun and hang out with everyone than to compete.

But I guess that's what it really is all about, having fun at these events, right? Otherwise I'd be competing in Halo and being miserable X^D

I don't want to hear a retirement speech from you. As if legends can really retire ;^D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It all kind of takes away from the performance aspect of the tournament. And you know what? I simply don't have enough of a drive to care, and it keeps getting worse at times.
I think this might be a ROB thing more than other characters, too. I've been the same way for a while. >_>

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i lost both my matches in herb2 brackets

herb2 pools i got 1st seed, I beat pyronic star and ragnor0k in there but my pool was pretty easy so it's not much to brag about. ragnor0k got 2nd seed btw, pyronic star didn't make it to brackets (it was top 2 advance, 8 pools of 8 (tho ours had 9)).

i lost to sushiman (MK player who I'VE never heard of either, but he's hella legit and placed really well, i think he lost to meep and hrnut in bracket and he's only been to like 1 tourney before. he got top 8 i know, idk exactly where though. yea, legit)

and i lost to hungrybox D: I should've went MK but I felt like going ROB...idk why. im an idiot :chuckle:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I unfortunately, didn't make it out of pools. I had HRNut, Hat, and Legendary Pokemon (a really legit Pika) in mine, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it out since they were only taking top two. Not to mention the pool format kept changing every 10 minutes it seemed.

I played a set against HRNut's MK & lost. Got frustrated, and stopped caring. I tried to peace out to take a nap bc I didn't feel like finishing, and then a friend (Muerte) talked me out of it bc he wanted to watch a match, so I played an Olimar & lost, and THEN got to peace out to take my nap.

Very "Eh" performance. I'm not satisfied with myself & how the singles format played out, but it is what it is. Nothin' left to do other than hit the drawing board.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Considering the size of the bracket, just getting out of pools was accomplishment enough there I think. :urg:

i lost to sushiman (MK player who I'VE never heard of either, but he's hella legit
That explains it.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
it only cut to top 16? :O
Dayum
Also we were doing so well with rankings and then we kinda stopped =/
LETS GET ON TASK PEOPLES

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol just because he was mk, i don't feel like i should've lost. he's not really a smart player and was just really good at covering his ***. he understands the game better then I do, I felt. he did the same thing every time and I recognized that but it worked for him anyway. I know I could've done some things very differently to beat him tho which is why I stayed ROB 2nd match instead of MK dittoing him. Which I would've won. lol but I guess it just didn't work for me

then against hbox I was p. upset about losing to sushi and went rob twice against his DDD and I just lost...yea im pretty stupid for going all ROB when he's not a character you can use by himself x.x i'll lrn2CP for my next tourney.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Hungrybox is strictly a melee player...
Stingers, wtf?

LoL, Mojoe just beat DSF/Havok this past weekend, and took tyrant to last match.

Idk if that makes me feel better about my loss to him @ EVO, or if it makes me feel more hopeless about the competitive validity of this game.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Hungrybox has entered every brawl tournament that I have been to.
He's a Brawl troll, but he loves the game. (He WILL say otherwise)

Cool kid though lol

edit: this was serious

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hbox is legit in brawl

also, mojoe is legit in brawl too. just cuz he's a lil kid doesn't mean he can't be good. armada is only 15 right?

Deadweight

Smash Ace
hbox is legit in brawl

also, mojoe is legit in brawl too. just cuz he's a lil kid doesn't mean he can't be good. armada is only 15 right?
Cobol was like 13 when he entered into the MLG circut and started making a name for himself as one of the best foxes on the EC
Also
Hbox is pretttttty gewd. Hes no CO18 but he knows how to ddd

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just give it up stingers. No matter what you try; no matter what you DO, it's hopeless.

/hope

HugS™

Smash Lord
Armada is 16 at the youngest, 1 year younger than Mango.

Either way, 16 is not 11. And Armada doesn't sidestep all day and get away with it.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
i lost to sushiman (MK player who I'VE never heard of either, but he's hella legit and placed really well, i think he lost to meep and hrnut in bracket and he's only been to like 1 tourney before. he got top 8 i know, idk exactly where though. yea, legit)
Isn't sushiman the MK that showed up to an NC tournament, beat PP in winner's finals, and then got 3rd place somehow? :confused:

jjvirus

Smash Champion
How about we just get like 5 "smart" R.O.B. mains, make a group and make it invite only, then those 5 discuss the top 10. And then update every 3 months. I just want a list made :(

T0MMY

Smash Master
I heard Mojoe is 2nd best Snake in the country. Don't know the validity of that, but I can attest he is really good.
11 year olds beating 36 year old vets... uh, are you talking about Halo now? lol.
Age is just a number. No johnz.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Which 11-year old? Is his name.... JOHN?
lol
I like hearing about kids who do well in tourney, happens in all competitive games.
Strange he doesn't play Toon Link. Seems like the younger the player the more likely they are to play TL. X^)

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
If we're going to get **** done, then why don't we improve ROBs metagame and info instead of playing King of the Hill?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
maybe if we did that, it would be a good idea to start from ROB's disadvantages in matchups, and then work our way up.

In reality, it is impossible to reach a characters full potential. But we can still try :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom