• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Pre-Release Tournaments

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
Its no fair the never have big tournaments from nintendo or otherwise in miami come on people of miami where yall at i cant doi it myself

Red_Revival

Smash Cadet
yeah, I honestly don't care that the tournament itself was all screwed up, the event was where it was at. We noticed pretty quick that it was just to promote the game. But even with all that, it was still worth it.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You fell for the trap!

So many people are going to buy a Classic controller due to this event. How many people are going to use the $10 BB gift card toward a Classic Controller after this event? Also, some people are going to buy it for the reason you guys mentioned.

Pretty good thinking from Nintendo and Best Buy!

*shrug*
My $10 is either going towards my 360 or Apollo Justice :)

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
You fell for the trap!

So many people are going to buy a Classic controller due to this event. How many people are going to use the $10 BB gift card toward a Classic Controller after this event? Also, some people are going to buy it for the reason you guys mentioned.

Pretty good thinking from Nintendo and Best Buy!

*shrug*
Haha, exactly what I was thinking.

It really is a shame how many factors stack against the vast majority of those who haven't played at all before. I keep wavering in my head if it's worth going to at all. On one hand, I'd get to play Brawl... but on the other hand... hours and hours of waiting, and the possibility of being wiped out in round one by someone who's been playing for 3 weeks.
Well, that's probably why items are allowed. Pokeballs, Assist Trophies, Smash Balls? Those items alone can give someone who hasn't played the game before a chance to win against someone who's had it for 3 weeks or more. The outcome of this tournament will be very random, so experience isn't even a factor in this situation. Should we have the 1vs1 with no items, the people who imported the game will definitely have the upper hand and will dominate the tournament's top 4, but that's not the case. You have a chance at winning as most of us do. Unless ofcourse, you have the game and the classic controller and have been practicing day and night, but even then the items still make any fight unbalanced.

And I would think twice before going to this event with a serious mindset. Like I pointed out before, Nintendo is doing this for promotive reasons; to get the word out there. This has nothing to do with the best fighters in the SSB community. If I were you, I would just be content with the fact that I would be able to get to play the game a few weeks before it comes out. And it should be interesting to be around others from around the area who are as enthusiastic about the game as I am come to one place and play it.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
anyone who didnt attend the los angeles one in Socal going to the SF one ?
Why not just take a plane? It's only 45$ from LA to SF, and from the SF Airport they can walk a few feet away (literally) to the BART station which can take you a few blocks away from the place where the event will be held. Mass transit is all around SF, but that's basically all you need to do. Just make sure you have a map handy (GPS or online maps preferrably.)

Now that I think about it though, all of that seems like too much effort when you can get the game in a couple of weeks (from Saturday.)

Cheerio

Smash Cadet
Why not just take a plane? It's only 45$ from LA to SF, and from the SF Airport they can walk a few feet away (literally) to the BART station which can take you a few blocks away from the place where the event will be held. Mass transit is all around SF, but that's basically all you need to do. Just make sure you have a map handy (GPS or online maps preferrably.)

Now that I think about it though, all of that seems like too much effort when you can get the game in a couple of weeks (from Saturday.)
Which airline? XD all the ones i checked for my friend was at least $120 one way the cheapest route was to take a Megabus for $35.

KungLao

Smash Rookie

Well, that's probably why items are allowed. Pokeballs, Assist Trophies, Smash Balls? Those items alone can give someone who hasn't played the game before a chance to win against someone who's had it for 3 weeks or more. The outcome of this tournament will be very random, so experience isn't even a factor in this situation. Should we have the 1vs1 with no items, the people who imported the game will definitely have the upper hand and will dominate the tournament's top 4, but that's not the case. You have a chance at winning as most of us do. Unless ofcourse, you have the game and the classic controller and have been practicing day and night, but even then the items still make any fight unbalanced.

And I would think twice before going to this event with a serious mindset. Like I pointed out before, Nintendo is doing this for promotive reasons; to get the word out there. This has nothing to do with the best fighters in the SSB community. If I were you, I would just be content with the fact that I would be able to get to play the game a few weeks before it comes out. And it should be interesting to be around others from around the area who are as enthusiastic about the game as I am come to one place and play it.

That is a good attitude to have about it. Get some free swag, hands on game time, and a gift card.

Should you so happen to place, then that is a bonus.

I still haven't decided when to show up. It's so hard to gauge (hardcore) interest. 8 or 9am should be good enough (hopefully).

See ya this weekend!

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I read the official rules carefully, and there is no mention of being able to use parental consent to enter. The bottom line,
YOU MUST BE 18 OR OLDER ON THE DAY OF THE TOURNEY TO ENTER. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Sorry for the ridiculous size, but I wanted to make that clear so you won't waste time on the ines.

ILOVESMASHBROTHERS

Smash Cadet

I honestly hope you're joking. Items work a LOT differently in Brawl and if you have been practicing with all items (like me and my friends have), 1v1 and Battlefield, then you'll have a pretty clear advantage. A lot of people won't be able to do the dash item grabs in Brawl (if you're running, you can do a dash attack while over an item to pick it up), or be used to the fact that the A button and Z button now grab items. If you're practicing with them... well you've got a large advantage.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I honestly hope you're joking. Items work a LOT differently in Brawl and if you have been practicing with all items (like me and my friends have), 1v1 and Battlefield, then you'll have a pretty clear advantage. A lot of people won't be able to do the dash item grabs in Brawl (if you're running, you can do a dash attack while over an item to pick it up), or be used to the fact that the A button and Z button now grab items. If you're practicing with them... well you've got a large advantage.
Joking about which part exactly? Final Smashes have different effects and alot of them can KO whoever gets hit. Practice won't help you get a Smash Ball, chance will. Pokeballs also have different effects and some of the Pokemon have the ability to KO, like Groudon. Assist trophies pretty much work the same way, if not worse. Practice won't help you get to a Pokeball or an Assist Trophy first, let alone any items such as a Star, Hammer, or any other item that can further help you win. And my point was that items will have a huge impact on this tournament and will make the outcome less predictable. They can also alter the battlefield a whole lot - say a Nintendog jumps in front of a screen or that devil shifts the stage so everyone is fighting for a few inches of ground, or Shadow slows you down and you're a sitting duck because you can barely move - thus making any match more random than say, a normal 1vs1 with no items. I personally hope you're the one joking.

So items work differently in the game, how relevant is that exactly to my argument? Obviously if you have time to practice you'll be familiar in playing the game, but that wasn't what I was talking about. Items give you the ability to do things your character can't normally do, so you can't say that you'll win if you have more practice. You'll just be more familiar with it. The advantage is there obviously but one can't say for a sure thing that they'll win.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
We all know that items are random. However, praticeing with items helps you because you know things like how long a golden hammer must be out before you can grab it, what a smart bomb looks like, how boxes can slide and KO people, etc.

Playing with items helps you play with items, and there is no way to know how to react to items in the tournament without playing with them before.

You say that it won't help you get a star, but knowing how the star bounces DOES help you get it if it does appear. Sure, if it spawns in your opponent you can't do anything, but if it doesn't, you will have a better chance of getting it.

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
The advantage is there obviously but one can't say for a sure thing that they'll win.
Your last sentence summarizes both of your points pretty concisely.

He said that there is a large advantage if you've been practicing with items (i.e. same ruleset), not that someone with practice will definitely win or get every item. There are obvious luck factors like you mentioned, such as if a pokeball or assist trophy spawns right next to a player while his opponent is on the other side of the screen for whatever reason.

Smash balls aren't as much about luck as they may seem. A more skilled/experienced person has a substantial advantage if it spawns in between both players. It would be lucky, however, if one person had been knocked off the stage and a smash ball spawned right next to the other player. The major factor of smash balls that which you've mentioned - they have the potential to easily KO the other player, which can change the flow of a match.

I've played Brawl for a few hours, which isn't much time, but in that short period I was able to understand the mechanics of the game and items much more clearly than I had beforehand. I already feel that I'd have a great advantage over anyone who has never played or has very little experience, even those who are good at Melee. I plan on playing many more hours of Brawl before this tournament, and I imagine that I and anyone else doing so will have a great advantage.

I've played competitive Melee for about 1.5 years, and I can tell you that Brawl is very different in many aspects. The major differences are due to that fact that it's a whole new engine, meaning different physics and timing for everything.

In summary, practicing with items on will definitely give an advantage, though with a big string of luck/chance, one may be able to overcome this predisposition.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People who know how to use spacing, techs, dash dancing, projectiles, Shuffling, etc. will beat those who don't [even at Melee and smash 64], PERIOD! At least that skill carries over, but items won't have that big of an effect. Nealdt was considered the best player at E for All, and he's a pro Melee player, isn't he? Those sort of "Basics" carry over. Use them well. Everything else depends on how well the game "Works with you", how well you adapt, playing smart, not being stupid, mindgames, learning your mistakes, learning your opponents mistakss ["if your opponent keeps falling for the same attack over and over, be kind to them and keep getting them with it"], and just generally staying ahead of the competition.

All in all, the best players at Melee and smash 64 WILL win! Basic skills, smarts [spacing, and keep using what works, and stop using what doesn't work, or use it minimally], etc. will be used by 1% of the people there. That 1% will win, unless bomb-ombs are on insanely high, or something. Smash balls involve skill, like [most] everything else. Most items involve skill [note I said most; bomb-ombs are still very random]. The best Melee and smash 64 players WILL DO GOOD, and if you know the basics of Melee and smash 64 advanced play/meta-game, you're bound to do good, since almost all of the rest of the players won't be using these so called tournament-play basics. Learn them in Melee or smash 64 if you haven't already, and give yourself a skillful advantage! ;)

Because of this "at least 18 years of age" deal, I can't go. O wellz. :ohwell: Best of luck to you all. May the best smashers WIN! :) If you don't know these, I suggest you learn them FAST [smash wiki], and use them to your advantage. I wish you all the best of luck. ;)

strider2k

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
8400-7096-5138
For the under 18 ssbb enthusiasts, will there be free-play areas for them to test the game out? Also, can they watch their adult friends get their butt kicked by the pros? I am referring to the San Francisco tournament if anyone is wondering.

BumR

Smash Rookie
So I was really going to be in San Francisco today, and then my suburban was like "I need a new transmission!"

X-Counter

Smash Apprentice
For people who went today, how early did you get there and did you get in or not?
You can have my perspective.

*I got there quarter to 11:00

*They said that around 250 could get in

*Bunch of people cut in line. but if the hosts actually knew what they were doing they should have handed out tags or bracelets passes so no one would worry. It wasn't too pleasant waiting in the wind and rain for 3 hours.

*they were supposed to register at 12:00 but they didn't start registration till 2:30. The tournament itself was supposed to start at 2:00.

*The lobby section for free play only had one Brawl playing and 50 people were huddled around it, playing with the Wiimote controls... I then look at the room where the Tournament took place with 8 TV screens for Brawl and it's classic controllers, and just left the place to go to Wondercon instead.

Whole things a complete waste of time.

DarkFalcon025

Smash Rookie
I'm at the SF tourney right now, lemme say that classic controllers are no good. Total luck draw with all the matches, especially with items on. I got through round one, though. Happy for that (good thing I had the import). Now for seven more rounds, hope I can get to round 2. :)

manacloud1

Smash Champion
sad

You can have my perspective.

*I got there quarter to 11:00

*They said that around 250 could get in

*Bunch of people cut in line. but if the hosts actually knew what they were doing they should have handed out tags or bracelets passes so no one would worry. It wasn't too pleasant waiting in the wind and rain for 3 hours.

*they were supposed to register at 12:00 but they didn't start registration till 2:30. The tournament itself was supposed to start at 2:00.

*The lobby section for free play only had one Brawl playing and 50 people were huddled around it, playing with the Wiimote controls... I then look at the room where the Tournament took place with 8 TV screens for Brawl and it's classic controllers, and just left the place to go to Wondercon instead.

Whole things a complete waste of time.
yeah now u know how i feel. waste of time. if the tournament was more fair in terms of rules and made it actually where u could use atleast ur game cube controller then it wouldnt be a waste. But instead the only thing that determined the winner was luck. High items with random bombs including anything goes sudden death stuff. Stupid if u ask me.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Yeah, but what can we do about it :(

I'm buying a classic controller to play Brawl with so this doesn't happen to me again.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I am 100% serious when I say that I got screwed more than ANYONE IN THE WHOLE EVENT.

Recap:
Arrive at 10:50. #210-220 in line.

Registration doesn't start at 12 like it should, they don't give bracelets or mark anyone's spot.

By 12.30 I'm #240 in line! I tell staff members people are cutting. They don't do anything about it.

Roughly 2.00 they hand out waivers and say "These do not guarantee you a spot, you need to wait in line" PEOPLE BEHIND ME TAKE WAIVERS FROM THE PERSON HANDING THEM OUT, WHO GIVES THEM 4. I don't get a waiver because they run out.

I was in the cold rain until 3.15 when I'm #255 and right at the entrance!!!! THEY TELL PEOPLE 20 SPOTS BEHIND ME TO JUMP THE LINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A WAIVER AND I DON'T.

I get screwed and become an alt. I can't play the demo because I have to wait in the tourney room. We are assured they will announce when alts are needed. The first alt gets picked at around 5.

THEN I SEE THERE ARE 2 OPENINGS IN THE NEXT BRACKET AND TELL I AM THE NEXT ALT IN LINE, AND THEY ASSURE ME THEY'LL NOTIFY ME, BUT THEY GRAB 2 RANDOM ALTS TO TAKE -MY- PLACE.

So, I wait for 4 hours in the cold and rain and 3 hours inside, I don't get to enter, I don't get to play the demo, I don't get to see the freaking screen because there are to many people, I don't even get the stupid giftcard!

@#$@%$ you nintendo.

batsman415

Smash Cadet
Were people under 18 allowed into the place where the SF tourney was held at? Cuz i showed up and asked a guy if they were letting under 18 people in and he told me know. I wasted 25 minutes of possible Wondercon time. I swear if that guy screwed me over..............................

manacloud1

Smash Champion
wow

I am 100% serious when I say that I got screwed more than ANYONE IN THE WHOLE EVENT.

Recap:
Arrive at 10:50. #210-220 in line.

Registration doesn't start at 12 like it should, they don't give bracelets or mark anyone's spot.

By 12.30 I'm #240 in line! I tell staff members people are cutting. They don't do anything about it.

Roughly 2.00 they hand out waivers and say "These do not guarantee you a spot, you need to wait in line" PEOPLE BEHIND ME TAKE WAIVERS FROM THE PERSON HANDING THEM OUT, WHO GIVES THEM 4. I don't get a waiver because they run out.

I was in the cold rain until 3.15 when I'm #255 and right at the entrance!!!! THEY TELL PEOPLE 20 SPOTS BEHIND ME TO JUMP THE LINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE A WAIVER AND I DON'T.

I get screwed and become an alt. I can't play the demo because I have to wait in the tourney room. We are assured they will announce when alts are needed. The first alt gets picked at around 5.

THEN I SEE THERE ARE 2 OPENINGS IN THE NEXT BRACKET AND TELL I AM THE NEXT ALT IN LINE, AND THEY ASSURE ME THEY'LL NOTIFY ME, BUT THEY GRAB 2 RANDOM ALTS TO TAKE -MY- PLACE.

So, I wait for 4 hours in the cold and rain and 3 hours inside, I don't get to enter, I don't get to play the demo, I don't get to see the freaking screen because there are to many people, I don't even get the stupid giftcard!

@#$@%$ you nintendo.
wow i feel for u. Watch out though new people to the smash community who just recently played brawl is going to argue with you saying its your fault you went to this event. This is just a promotional event to promote nintendo dont forget just because we dont play their rules and only play fox and final destination we cant hate on nintendo.

scottnak

Smash Rookie
Were people under 18 allowed into the place where the SF tourney was held at? Cuz i showed up and asked a guy if they were letting under 18 people in and he told me know. I wasted 25 minutes of possible Wondercon time. I swear if that guy screwed me over..............................
No. They were not. They stated it plenty of times you had to be >18 to play. Explicitly stated in the rules packet, and ID was checked at the door. Don't worry... you did the right thing in NOT waiting...

yeah now u know how i feel. waste of time. if the tournament was more fair in terms of rules and made it actually where u could use atleast ur game cube controller then it wouldnt be a waste. But instead the only thing that determined the winner was luck. High items with random bombs including anything goes sudden death stuff. Stupid if u ask me.
Well. I wont say anything about the first half of your post, since that will lead down a path of ugly ugly proportions. But lets at least clear up that items were at MEDIUM level. Which made it a very NICE flow of items to have to maneuver with / around. It was hardly stupid, and quite enjoyable. Well, aside from having to wait an extra hour in the rain because of 'audio issues...'

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I'm fine with the rules, but not how they handled it. How disgustingly unprofessional. Heck, they broke their own rules by not starting the registration on time. I would have gotten a chance to play if they did their jobs properly. And the fact that MULTIPLE TIMES I got cheated out of my spot because of their incompetence just infuriates me. =\

batsman415

Smash Cadet
Ok, so the LA one did allow under 18 kids to play the game (only in the free play booth), while the SF one didnt allow under 18 kids to play at all?

Top Bottom