• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Pre-Release Tournaments

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
horrible tournament, poorly ran, too hyped. I dont mean to bash on nintendo , but they way this tourney was ran was horrible. First it was making 256 people wait outside on the side of the street for hours,then when the time was ready to play the rules were stupid as heck. 4 minutes , every item on high, the winner of this tournament is probably some random brawl noob who got lucky with random bombs and attacks. Every time a new character would appear they would have to reset the game and erase all data. You know a tournament is bad when wii classic controllers are involved when everyone knows smash is great with the game cube controller.

Also random items on high i mean hammers, instant one kill items, and tons of health replenish items. In addition to that stars. All i got to say is wtf nintendo. Btw, i asked the host outside if all the rosters characters are playable he said yes, then he said no, then later on he said yes, then later on when the time came it was only the original roster. Brawl and all smash games are only good when peoples skills are involved let everyone used who they are good at etc. In addition to this, the host also said smash is meant for all, the reason why we dont allow gamecube controllers is we want players to have equal fairness in all ways. all i was thinking was wow wtf....also every break nintendo would play their sponors " brawl the greatest game , with online capablities, go buy it basically." Most of every match would go to sudden death and random moves would kill, which would determine the PRO players of the bunch.

my final words, nintendo should stay out of the tournament scene, or let someone who knows about tournaments run them. IM done.
I think this is the beginning of the whining manchilds. I'm gong to respond to this as it makes sense to respond to him as well as the others.

I would say this sounds like exactly the type of tournament that any person with an ounce of sense in them should have expected. This is a pre-release promotional tournament for Nintendo's biggest game of the year. First come first serve for all official Nintendo events have resulted in huge lineups outside the venue. You should follow Nintendo World events if you want to see the effect of that.

The rules, were to be expected. Only thing is I think they should have let people know at least about the 18+ rule before the tournament. I think it's unfair to the kids to be hyped for an event they can't really take part in. The rest of the rules are actually quite good. 1v1 is the most important thing. They didn't go with a Free-For-All like I thought they would before reading the press release. Items on is a given considering this is a promotion and Smash Bros is usually associated with items. Stock is awesome as we all know how much Time sucks, especially in 1v1. 4 minute time limit seems a bit short, but hey, 256 people. Wii Classic Controllers were the best choice for the event. Threading GCN controllers through the glass the Wii is in isn't going to happen. Unless you would have rather played with the WiiMote or Nunchuk? The starting roster was obvious. They aren't going to have hidden characters for the tournament BEFORE the game is out when even the Dojo is going to lengths to hide spoilers unless the person wants to see them.

A "random brawl noob" winning is fine. All the people playing Brawl are noobs. Although I watched the finals video and that Kirby was quite good. I think he probably used Kirby in Melee too judging by how he was playing him.

My final word? Don't go to a ****ing tournament and expect them to be set up with competitive rules before the game is even out. WE don't have competitive rules for Brawl yet. Don't expect Nintendo to. Nintendo ran a **** good competitive tournament at Nintendo World about a year or two ago (not the FFA crap, the second one). This one was exactly the way people should have expected, but you (as well as some others it seems) went in with some stupid expectations.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I think you are completely missing the point. I do have fun competing in tournaments, and I hardly ever win any money from Melee.

If this had been my first time playing Brawl, then yes, I would have enjoyed just being able to play it. But since I've played it extensively over the past few weeks, I came for the big prize.

I told you, I was frustrated that the rules kept being changed, such as the 18+ rule and changing matches from stock to timed.

Basically, I like everything about the tournament but the tournament itself. I enjoyed waiting in line while talking with new people, appreciated the free goodies that Nintendo gave to us, and seeing familiar faces. Like Tommy! Wow, that was a big surprise to see you there.
You're the one who just completely missed the point. You ignored his previous post. He just pointed out that the entire point of the tournament was PR. It's ****ing obvious. Why else would you have anyone wait in line, then pull them in to play. Regardless of the ****ing prizes, it was for promotional purposes, and almost anybody with a decent amount of perception could see that.

Did you really expect Nintendo to pull a "FINAL DESTINATION, FOX ONLY" tournament style? And if you're really being *****y about the rules NOT being fair, tell that to the people who advanced far beyond in the previous rounds, who had PRACTICED with the Classic Controller enough on the Japanese version to do so. Did you honestly think that that wouldn't be a possibility? Really? After what they did for E for All and what?... FOUR hobby events? Really?\

You said you've played it extensively, why not just practice with the classic controller? And if you really think ITEMS make the game SO imba it's not even fair... are you telling me that person who's as skilled as you, wouldn't be skillfull enough to work the area in such away where you were able to pick up the majority of items? Really? So you're telling me you WOULDN'T be able to own a Dedede, and pick up that smashball right after? Really?

And the 18+ rule is LAW. they are NOT allowed to hand out prizes to minors like that without Parental consent, which would require the Parents to all sign release forms, and that forms even MORE legal trouble. The fact that they didn't think about that rule was stupid, but if they didn't have it in place, there would be much more trouble than you think.

But you know what, I guess your right. So next time I play chess, I'm turning off all extra pieces, playing with only Pawns and Kings, and banning the queen. Oh, and we'll play on the floor, since it's a completely flat surface. There. Maybe that will make things even.

^^ If you're really planning on rebutting that last part don't bother. It's a joke people.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
why do people who didn't go to this tournament think they have some sort of opinion or say about other people *****ing and whining.

you weren't there, you don't know how it was, so please stfu.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ noobs thinking that there is a tournament style with final destination and Fox only.
If that's intended at me, maybe you should, y'know... read the last comment of my post? Y'know? That would be great. Because I don't think that way. It's called making fun of a generalization, which a lot of people in this topic seem to be advocating.

And I was there. That's why I'm annoyed at all this complaining. Because it's not even nitpicking at this point. And I gave concise arguments. Address them, before just restating your point OVER and OVER again, because that's exactly what my response was meant to counteract. Progress the topic for ONCE people.(And for the record, these last points aren't intended at you Mike...)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Hm, from the sound of it, it doesn't sound as cool as I would have liked it to be, but I'll probably still go to the SF one anyways. I'll have more skill, having had had the game for a few weeks, and after reading these reviews, I'll know to go someone fast who can get some good items. I'm thinking Diddy, Pikachu, or Kirby - all decent characters in this game. DK would be a good start choice if I had to get kills really quickly, too, but if my opponent got a hammer, it'd be too hard to avoid (where as with Kirby I could probably still downB him, which is actually one of his best killing moves in this game).

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Hm, from the sound of it, it doesn't sound as cool as I would have liked it to be, but I'll probably still go to the SF one anyways. I'll have more skill, having had had the game for a few weeks, and after reading these reviews, I'll know to go someone fast who can get some good items. I'm thinking Diddy, Pikachu, or Kirby - all decent characters in this game. DK would be a good start choice if I had to get kills really quickly, too, but if my opponent got a hammer, it'd be too hard to avoid (where as with Kirby I could probably still downB him, which is actually one of his best killing moves in this game).
^^^BEST POST IN THREAD SO FAR

No overreaction. :)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
There you go, making assumptions about what I was thinking.

To be honest, I came to the tournament expecting it to be FFA, last person standing goes ahead, items on, FD only. I was happy to know it was 1v1 stock matches. I didn't mind about the items, I figured they would be on.

Let me re-iterate. What made me frustrated was that NINTENDO CHANGED THE VERY RULES THEY OUTLINED IN THE PACKET THAT WAS GIVEN TO US. Is that so hard to understand? It says clearly in the packet that it was supposed to be 3 stock 4 minute matches, and I was perfectly fine with that. Then the tournament starts and its timed matches instead. Is it so much of a problem to get mad at that?

I know the 18+ thing is law. But is the 13-year old kid who's been waiting for the past 2 years to play Brawl going to see this event and know automatically that it is law that he can't enter? I saw alot of people who were obviously under 18 in line, and I felt bad for them because they didn't know about having to be over 18 to enter. Nintendo should have included that in the tournament description.

I won't deny I came to the tournament with the hopes of it being double elimination, fair stages, 1v1, stock. But I knew that wouldn't happen, so I just figure I would make the best of whatever the rules are.

The___cheese

Smash Lord
Nah, I'm just loling at the noobs that think that.

You probably wouldn't of had the quotations around it if you actually thought it.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know no one was expecting Nintendo to use MLG rules, but if they change the rules that come in the packet it brings up another issue: Will they do the same at the over events, or was the stock->time change made by stupid people running the LA one.

MasterJukeYGOJ

Smash Rookie
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Smash World forums. However i joined mainly because i have a question about the pre-release tournaments. I plan on entering the one in NYC, however everyone keeps saying you have to be 18 or older to enter, and that creates a problem since i'm 15. I Have been at other Nintendo events at the Nintendo World Store, where if you're under 18 they have like parental waivers. By any chance do they have parental waivers at these tournaments, and will they let you sign up if you have a parent with you?? Or Must you be 18?
Thanks!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Link to the finals video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVZbsmNdgM

There you go, making assumptions about what I was thinking.

To be honest, I came to the tournament expecting it to be FFA, last person standing goes ahead, items on, FD only. I was happy to know it was 1v1 stock matches. I didn't mind about the items, I figured they would be on.

Let me re-iterate. What made me frustrated was that NINTENDO CHANGED THE VERY RULES THEY OUTLINED IN THE PACKET THAT WAS GIVEN TO US. Is that so hard to understand? It says clearly in the packet that it was supposed to be 3 stock 4 minute matches, and I was perfectly fine with that. Then the tournament starts and its timed matches instead. Is it so much of a problem to get mad at that?

I know the 18+ thing is law. But is the 13-year old kid who's been waiting for the past 2 years to play Brawl going to see this event and know automatically that it is law that he can't enter? I saw alot of people who were obviously under 18 in line, and I felt bad for them because they didn't know about having to be over 18 to enter. Nintendo should have included that in the tournament description.

I won't deny I came to the tournament with the hopes of it being double elimination, fair stages, 1v1, stock. But I knew that wouldn't happen, so I just figure I would make the best of whatever the rules are.
Sucks that they changed it to time when it was supposed to be stock. How long was it like that for though? The finals for example were stock judging by the video.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Don't know how long, I lost first round and went somewhere afterwards.

I did get a bunch of pictures while I was there, and I'll upload those sometime tonight if people want to see how it looked.

KungLao

Smash Rookie
I think this is the beginning of the whining manchilds. I'm gong to respond to this as it makes sense to respond to him as well as the others.

I would say this sounds like exactly the type of tournament that any person with an ounce of sense in them should have expected. This is a pre-release promotional tournament for Nintendo's biggest game of the year. First come first serve for all official Nintendo events have resulted in huge lineups outside the venue. You should follow Nintendo World events if you want to see the effect of that.

The rules, were to be expected. Only thing is I think they should have let people know at least about the 18+ rule before the tournament. I think it's unfair to the kids to be hyped for an event they can't really take part in. The rest of the rules are actually quite good. 1v1 is the most important thing. They didn't go with a Free-For-All like I thought they would before reading the press release. Items on is a given considering this is a promotion and Smash Bros is usually associated with items. Stock is awesome as we all know how much Time sucks, especially in 1v1. 4 minute time limit seems a bit short, but hey, 256 people. Wii Classic Controllers were the best choice for the event. Threading GCN controllers through the glass the Wii is in isn't going to happen. Unless you would have rather played with the WiiMote or Nunchuk? The starting roster was obvious. They aren't going to have hidden characters for the tournament BEFORE the game is out when even the Dojo is going to lengths to hide spoilers unless the person wants to see them.

A "random brawl noob" winning is fine. All the people playing Brawl are noobs. Although I watched the finals video and that Kirby was quite good. I think he probably used Kirby in Melee too judging by how he was playing him.

My final word? Don't go to a ****ing tournament and expect them to be set up with competitive rules before the game is even out. WE don't have competitive rules for Brawl yet. Don't expect Nintendo to. Nintendo ran a **** good competitive tournament at Nintendo World about a year or two ago (not the FFA crap, the second one). This one was exactly the way people should have expected, but you (as well as some others it seems) went in with some stupid expectations.
Best post I have read on this forum yet.

Anyone that didn't expect what it is, is living in a fools world. The only thing Nintendo screwed up on was not stating the 18+ rule in the press release.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Why don't we all just drop this whole argument and just put it in a few simple words: Nintendo's main motive was to promote the game, and not to host a fair tournament, so don't expect it to be fair. Despite the prizes, this is still not the metagame tourney serious competitors are hungering for.

In the end, no one's really at fault, except for the people who are STILL bitter now and will continue to be bitter, and that applies to anyone from this point on. I mean seriously, this is silly. Let's move on people. You're ruining what seems to be a good event.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I have 2 questions to everyone who went to the first one, if you guys don't mind:

1) Any estimate on how early I should show up for the one in SF?
2) Do you think that someone who hasn't gotten to play yet even has a chance?

Thanks!

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Hello Everyone, I'm new to the Smash World forums. However i joined mainly because i have a question about the pre-release tournaments. I plan on entering the one in NYC, however everyone keeps saying you have to be 18 or older to enter, and that creates a problem since i'm 15. I Have been at other Nintendo events at the Nintendo World Store, where if you're under 18 they have like parental waivers. By any chance do they have parental waivers at these tournaments, and will they let you sign up if you have a parent with you?? Or Must you be 18?
Thanks!
Unfortunetly, no one has mentioned any kind of waivers, everyone has been just saying 18+, and some people mentioned people with parents even leaving after hearing the 18+ rule, so I don't think there were waivers for minors to play, unless the people at the LA event msesed up

オビ (Obi)

Smash Cadet
But what if someone who is not old enough to play in the tourney bring some kind of paper where it is saying that the parents of the boy/girl authorize their son/daughter to enter the tournament and that they are aware of the event , etc. I did that once. The paper I brought to them also had a copy of my parents ID, etc. The guys who where working at the tourney check the paper (and others too. I wasn't the only one) and let us in.

I wouldn't be surprise if that works here too.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 questions to everyone who went to the first one, if you guys don't mind:

1) Any estimate on how early I should show up for the one in SF?
2) Do you think that someone who hasn't gotten to play yet even has a chance?

Thanks!
Because of GDC and Wondercon, some of us think it would be best to get there as early as possible in the morning to guarantee a spot - afterall, only 256 people are allowed. I personally would be there at 4-5 AM just to be safe. Some people might go to extremes and camp the night but judging from the weather (and location), I doubt it. Most people will probably start lining up at 7 but that's just my theory based on everything that's happened in the last tournament and what will be happening that day.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
But what if someone who is not old enough to play in the tourney bring some kind of paper where it is saying that the parents of the boy/girl authorize their son/daughter to enter the tournament and that they are aware of the event , etc. I did that once. The paper I brought to them also had a copy of my parents ID, etc. The guys who where working at the tourney check the paper (and others too. I wasn't the only one) and let us in.

I wouldn't be surprise if that works here too.
I heard about kids with parents that still didn't get in so I doubt it. To me it sounds silly, like if you're 16 and you want booze so you ask your dad for a letter telling the cashier that they authorize you to buy some.

MasterJukeYGOJ

Smash Rookie
Unfortunetly, no one has mentioned any kind of waivers, everyone has been just saying 18+, and some people mentioned people with parents even leaving after hearing the 18+ rule, so I don't think there were waivers for minors to play, unless the people at the LA event msesed up
Darn.. That would be really stupid. Every event i've been to at the Nintendo World Store had the Waivers for parents to sign in the event that you won something.. Well thanks for the help. I guess i'll just have to call Best Buy before the tournament in NYC.

EDIT :

To those attending the San Francisco tournament, if it would not be out of you're way could you please try and find out whether or not those under 18 could participate if they had parental consent?

Thanks!

Chaos_Dude

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering if the reason they won't allow adults to sign for their kids is because if they win it messes up the whole New York flight agreement which gives an all-expenses paid trip to New York for two adults 18 or older.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I heard about kids with parents that still didn't get in so I doubt it. To me it sounds silly, like if you're 16 and you want booze so you ask your dad for a letter telling the cashier that they authorize you to buy some.
IMO, this is an incorrect analogy. For events like this, the reason they have the age limit is not because it is bad for minors to compete in tournaments, but because of legal issues involving prizes and finals across country.

A better example is a field trip waiver at a school, but even that is a bad example.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I live about 20 minutes from the event and I still had absolutely no intention of coming.

For those who have experience in the tournament scene, you know there are professional events and amateur events.

This was clearly an amateur event and I don't understand how one could expect a well run tournament going into this. If you wanted to enjoy this event to have fun, then be prepared for rule changes and unfair rule sets. Also, try to come in with a "coin toss" mentality in regards to winning.

I know that this sort of event can be loads of fun. It is perfectly acceptable for people to want to attend.

Personally, I can't stand events like these so I stay away from them. But if I did end up going I'd have only myself to blame for committing myself to the "shenanigans" that I KNEW would be coming my way.

So if you have Melee tournament experience and got screwed somehow, I'm sorry but, don't tell me you didn't see this coming.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
IMO, this is an incorrect analogy. For events like this, the reason they have the age limit is not because it is bad for minors to compete in tournaments, but because of legal issues involving prizes and finals across country.

A better example is a field trip waiver at a school, but even that is a bad example.
Well oh my, sorryyy, LOL. I almost forgot that my grammar is constantly being monitored online. I wasn't trying to be politically correct, nor was I trying to make any sort of sensible analogy to begin with. I was just trying to express how silly the situation was, in a joking matter, if you will. And judging by the people around here, I think you're better off sharing the joys of common sense elsewhere.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Because of GDC and Wondercon, some of us think it would be best to get there as early as possible in the morning to guarantee a spot - afterall, only 256 people are allowed. I personally would be there at 4-5 AM just to be safe. Some people might go to extremes and camp the night but judging from the weather (and location), I doubt it. Most people will probably start lining up at 7 but that's just my theory based on everything that's happened in the last tournament and what will be happening that day.
Woa, that early? I was told that some people came to the LA tournament around 10 or 11 and got in.

Geeeez, how am I supposed to get a good night's rest? xD

Thanks for the info!

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Woa, that early? I was told that some people came to the LA tournament around 10 or 11 and got in.

Geeeez, how am I supposed to get a good night's rest? xD

Thanks for the info!
Just take into consideration that I'm only estimating. One could arrive there at 10-11 AM and still get in, so I guess I'm just being safe. I really don't like the idea of waking up early either but you know, it's all about the "what if...?", like what if people did start lining up at 6? You get the jist.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Well oh my, sorryyy, LOL. I almost forgot that my grammar is constantly being monitored online. I wasn't trying to be politically correct, nor was I trying to make any sort of sensible analogy to begin with. I was just trying to express how silly the situation was, in a joking matter, if you will. And judging by the people around here, I think you're better off sharing the joys of common sense elsewhere.
First of all, I wasn't even talking about your grammar. I didn't sense any sort of joking manner in your post, and I thought that you actually felt like the idea of a parental consent form was silly and pointless, when there are many members of this forum who are trying to decide where they make a big trip to come to a tournament, and I would hate to have someone stay home if a way existed for them to compete.

As for the comment about using common sense on this forum, I see no reason to treat people on this forum like they are stupid, even if they may be.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I wasn't even talking about your grammar. I didn't sense any sort of joking manner in your post, and I thought that you actually felt like the idea of a parental consent form was silly and pointless, when there are many members of this forum who are trying to decide where they make a big trip to come to a tournament, and I would hate to have someone stay home if a way existed for them to compete.

As for the comment about using common sense on this forum, I see no reason to treat people on this forum like they are stupid, even if they may be.
Well I did feel like it was silly - and I still do actually, but never did I say pointless. Should they find a way around the rules, good for them. And I'm not really sure where the whole "stupid" thing comes into play. I never associated lack of common with stupidity, I just felt like your response to my comment was a big "doh!" - for a lack of a better term - and was not even worth responding to the way that you did in such a serious manner since I was just being humorous about the situation, and that such "common sense" responses are better placed elsewhere. And lastly, I find you saying "I see no reason to treat people on this forum like they are stupid.." hypocritical, because your first response to my comment sure felt condescending. Not that I'm trying to argue or trying to be hostile, just making a point, so don't get defensive because in the end, it doesn't really matter. Moving on..

Can't wait for Saturday... :chuckle:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I believe the main reason you can't do waivers and such is because...

EVERYONE wins something for participating (at least a $10 gift card) and I guess they don't want to deal with the legality of having like 200 underage kids having to sign forms and stuff.

It would just be a waste of time and delay the actual playing and tournament. Making it 18+ simplifies things.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
It's not bad, you just need to already by used to the classic controller before playing. I couldn't adapt fast enough =\

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
It's not bad, you just need to already by used to the classic controller before playing. I couldn't adapt fast enough =\
It really is a shame how many factors stack against the vast majority of those who haven't played at all before. I keep wavering in my head if it's worth going to at all. On one hand, I'd get to play Brawl... but on the other hand... hours and hours of waiting, and the possibility of being wiped out in round one by someone who's been playing for 3 weeks.

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
I'm heading to Best Buy today to pick up a classic controller too!
You fell for the trap!

So many people are going to buy a Classic controller due to this event. How many people are going to use the $10 BB gift card toward a Classic Controller after this event? Also, some people are going to buy it for the reason you guys mentioned.

Pretty good thinking from Nintendo and Best Buy!

*shrug*

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
Its no fair the never have big tournaments from nintendo or otherwise in miami come on people of miami where yall at i cant doi it myself

Top Bottom