• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Pre-Release Tournaments

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'll be arriving at approximately 9 am. I got plenty of Naruto to watch in order to pass the time.

Look for a white guy with a Wii hat and ****** people with Jiggs.

Biolizard28

Smash Cadet
I may be heading up to the Worcester tournament... provided I can get a ride. It'd be my first taste of any form of competitive smash, so I'd really like to go.

cinse85

Smash Rookie
I'll be going to the LA one. I'll be going kind of early to scope out if there are any lines and probably going to and from the venue at timed intervals to see how that progresses. I live only 2 blocks away from the place, so it makes it pretty easy for me.
update plz

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Yes please, I'm about to leave and don't want to drive 60 miles to find out 256 people are already there :(

Darchon

Smash Apprentice
>_< called the venue earlier today, they said line-ups weren't allowed until Noon? o.O anyone else hear something similar?
I called the venue yesterday. We're getting conflicting schedules from various sources. The orpheum theater operating system says doors open at 12 PM with lineups starting at 11:30 AM. The orpheum theater website says no lineups till 12, doors open at 3 PM. So ya..... : (

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm currently sitting in line outside the theater, and I got the rules.

Items are on
1v1
3 Stock, 4 minutes
Battlefield ONRY
Starting roster characters until more are unlocked (:()

YOU HAVE TO BE OVER 18 TO ENTER THE TOURNAMENT

Otherwise, the Nintendo reps are giving away free ****. ATM, the only competition I see are SephirothKen and Manacloud, but everyone else is random I think.

Feel free to hit me up on AIM for questions.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
double post ftw
How is the line? Do you think camping out is necessary?

I figure there to be more serious smashers going to that tourament soon. I mean, it IS Socal after all. I have no hard time in believing that a rep from socal is going to get first place, but since I think second place is lot better, I don't mind that at all.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman

Items are on
1v1
3 Stock, 4 minutes
Battlefield ONRY

Otherwise, the Nintendo reps are giving away free ****. ATM, the only competition I see are SephirothKen and Manacloud, but everyone else is random I think.

Items are on? Holy crap. I assume that includes Assist Trophies, Pokeballs and Smash Balls? (Screams inside for a second.) That's crazy. This tournament is going to be about pure luck, not skill. Which I have no problem with. This way, it's more fun and not so serious. It's Nintendo afterall. How's the line going JTB? Did 256 spots fill up easy or no? What time did you get there?

I'd contact you on AIM but I don't necessarily need an immediate answer, since you're probably being bombarded by questions from others right now.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I got about here about 10:10 ish. The line has grown about 40 people since I've shown up. So maybe about 180-190 ish right now.

I won't make any guarentees as to if you can get in the 256 now. I don't want to say "Yes, come" then have like 50 people all come at once. It's all up to you.

I WILL NOT HOLD SPOTS, DONT ASK. It's not fair to those that get here at the end of the line.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
I got about here about 10:10 ish. The line has grown about 40 people since I've shown up. So maybe about 180-190 ish right now.

I won't make any guarentees as to if you can get in the 256 now. I don't want to say "Yes, come" then have like 50 people all come at once. It's all up to you.
10 ish....

Oceanborn, what do you think? Should we head there the night before or go there around mid morning?

If anything, I might just get there at 7 am to secure my spot.

dizzam

Smash Cadet

Items are on
1v1
3 Stock, 4 minutes
Battlefield ONRY

Are you serious?!? I turn 18 in 3 more months. ARGHH. I was looking forward to going to the one in Worcester too.. :mad:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Oh yeah, the tournament is Classic Controller only. It's not as good as GCN, but atleast better than Wiimote.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman

I WILL NOT HOLD SPOTS, DONT ASK. It's not fair to those that get here at the end of the line.
Haha JTB, don't worry we're not from the same region. I agree though, it isn't fair.

10 ish....

Oceanborn, what do you think? Should we head there the night before or go there around mid morning?

If anything, I might just get there at 7 am to secure my spot.
Hm. The doors open there at 3 PM. It's 11 AM and it's reaching capacity. Next Saturday, the doors will open at 2 PM, and SHOULD people react the same way, we SHOULD be safe by being there at 9-10 AM, and even more safer in earlier times. Judging from the SoCal tourney, I don't think we need to resort to camping out.

But ofcourse, we can't predict anything. For all we knows NorCal players will be far more extreme and will start camping ot at night. I think our two best options are to see if anyone's camping out late at night and/or arrive there as early morning as possible (6, maybe 7?) to guarantee a spot - just to play it safe. I think we can chance it by getting there around 9-11 AM, but again, I'm not a psychic unfortunately and I have no idea how people here are going to react.

I personally would PROBABLY go really early in the morning. Should I hear news about people camping out, I might do that as well. But it depends on how many are camping out by the minute.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
Haha JTB, don't worry we're not from the same region. I agree though, it isn't fair.

Hm. The doors open there at 3 PM. It's 11 AM and it's reaching capacity. Next Saturday, the doors will open at 2 PM, and SHOULD people react the same way, we SHOULD be safe by being there at 9-10 AM, and even more safer in earlier times. Judging from the SoCal tourney, I don't think we need to resort to camping out.

But ofcourse, we can't predict anything. For all we knows NorCal players will be far more extreme and will start camping ot at night. I think our two best options are to see if anyone's camping out late at night and/or arrive there as early morning as possible (6, maybe 7?) to guarantee a spot - just to play it safe. I think we can chance it by getting there around 9-11 AM, but again, I'm not a psychic unfortunately and I have no idea how people here are going to react.

I personally would PROBABLY go really early in the morning. Should I hear news about people camping out, I might do that as well. But it depends on how many are camping out by the minute.
Guess the only thing we can do is just keep our ears and eyes open and wait.

:/

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
My battery is slow dying, and I only have one more fully charged battery left.

So about an hour left on my laptop. If I disconnect while on AIM, its because wireless here is wack and is far away.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
My battery is slow dying, and I only have one more fully charged battery left.

So about an hour left on my laptop. If I disconnect while on AIM, its because wireless here is wack and is far away.
Well good luck JTB. Have fun! And thanks for giving us some on-site info. I hope you win. Go kick some ***!

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
But by your implication, it's like people over 18 are less likely to participate in tournaments, which is untrue.

Anyway, assuming we in SF will have to be content with just the starting roster, I think it's fine. All of my main choices (Pikmin and Olimar, Metaknight, Pit, and the Pokemon Trainer) are all available, which is awesome. Although to ensure winning, I'll probably go with Metaknight for easier play. Maybe even Zero Suit Samus, which is good for 1vs1. But since items are being used, I might go with Zelda/Shiek or Link because of their Final Smashes and versatility.

Anth0ny

Smash Master

Items are on
1v1
3 Stock, 4 minutes
Battlefield ONRY

At least it's not timed matches :p However, it's pretty lame that items are on, no cube controllers and you have to be 18+.

Quick, someone get some videos of Ken playing Brawl! :laugh:

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
If anyone has pictures or detailed information about today's goings-on, please catch me on aim or send me a PM :)

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
The tournament starts the day before it comes out...Thats just stupid. You might as well buy the game.

And may I mention....Oh, yes. HALF OF US ARE LESS THAN 18!!!

That ain't fair! Kids enjoy games, too!

Crapballs! Nintendo ****ed up royally this time!

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
The tournament starts the day before it comes out...Thats just stupid. You might as well buy the game.

And may I mention....Oh, yes. HALF OF US ARE LESS THAN 18!!!

That ain't fair! Kids enjoy games, too!

Crapballs! Nintendo ****ed up royally this time!
I doubt Nintendo would want kids hanging around street corners in early mornings or camping out at night by themselves with no guaranteed parental supervision. Besides, the winners would have to fly out to NY, it's pretty unnecessary to pay for more tickets for a guardian just because someone's too young. It seems Nintendo is playing it safe so it would be easier for them, which is fine with me. The less minors the better - in so many levels.

And the four preliminary tournaments are taking place in the next weeks starting today, so I'm not sure where you got a "day before it comes out" from. I personally can't wait for next week.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
horrible

horrible tournament, poorly ran, too hyped. I dont mean to bash on nintendo , but they way this tourney was ran was horrible. First it was making 256 people wait outside on the side of the street for hours,then when the time was ready to play the rules were stupid as heck. 4 minutes , every item on high, the winner of this tournament is probably some random brawl noob who got lucky with random bombs and attacks. Every time a new character would appear they would have to reset the game and erase all data. You know a tournament is bad when wii classic controllers are involved when everyone knows smash is great with the game cube controller.

Also random items on high i mean hammers, instant one kill items, and tons of health replenish items. In addition to that stars. All i got to say is wtf nintendo. Btw, i asked the host outside if all the rosters characters are playable he said yes, then he said no, then later on he said yes, then later on when the time came it was only the original roster. Brawl and all smash games are only good when peoples skills are involved let everyone used who they are good at etc. In addition to this, the host also said smash is meant for all, the reason why we dont allow gamecube controllers is we want players to have equal fairness in all ways. all i was thinking was wow wtf....also every break nintendo would play their sponors " brawl the greatest game , with online capablities, go buy it basically." Most of every match would go to sudden death and random moves would kill, which would determine the PRO players of the bunch.

my final words, nintendo should stay out of the tournament scene, or let someone who knows about tournaments run them. IM done.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
Gotta disagree with you there...

So, Me and a friend took the trip up to LA today. Line was huge. We were kind of annoyed, and were pretty sure we weren't getting in. We weren't at the tail end, but shy of the 256 by a bunch. But, luckily for us... there was a rule.

You had to be 18 or older to enter the tournament. Cue watching all the high school kids and five year olds(a large number of them who CUT to the front of the line, and included some Soccer mom ***** who decided to send two people who had been waiting there fairly early to the back of the line, claiming they "cut". Grats.) walk around pissed off they weren't allowed tournament play.

So we got in, we sat down in this large auditorium, and hooked up was a HUGE WII Screen, and 8 smaller screens. One of the 8 smaller screens(screen 4) was projecting onto the big screen. We were in group Sixteen. The usual picks were Fox, Shiek, Occasionally Link and Kirby... Pikachu, Ike, and Peach. When I got there I started yelling out "POKEMON TRAINER! POKEMON TRAINER!" and soon people started to catch onto me. We had a large bunch of the auditorium yelling for it. But nobody picked him. It was mainly those guys you saw earlier with a few exceptions.

So I was waiting in the crowd, talking to my friend going "Well, who should I pick?" We were ONLY allowed the starting roster, and it was a four minute 1v1 time match. Classic Controllers(which piss me off.) I was stuck between Diddy, Metaknight and Pit. I pretty much shrugged off PT, because while I really do want to main him, I was fairly doubtful I'd do any good with the guy. He seemed like a character you'd need to put a bit of time into to learn the ropes. So he was out. So it was between Diddy and Metaknight. Of course though I'd shout out "POKEMON TRAINER!" in hopes SOMEBODY would pick him on the big screen and we could hear some of his english voice, but I was dead set on Meta or Diddy(somewhat gravitating to Pit. Not really)

So we finally got up. We were told which station to go to. I got Number 4(yay). So it's going to suck if I get dominated. But I told myself to shrug off the worry at this point. So I hit the character select screen. My opponent Chooses Dedede. I'm hovering around. People keeps screaming at me for who to pick. I can't hear them. For giggles I highlight Pokemon trainer... and I hear teh crowd go NUTS.

Everyones chanting on. I move the cursor, I hear saddened whimpers... I pull it back on, and they're just as hopeful as they were a second ago. I bit the bullet. I had to do it. So I picked Pokemon Trainer. Crowd went WILD.

Match went up.

Squirtle-- SUPRISINGLY, Really accessible, and VERY noteworthy. He's got excellent combo potential. his up B is awesome, and his smashes are all very nice. He needs help in the priority department from time to time, but he's excellent.
Ivysaur-- I know. He's supposed to be the most balanced. I didn't really like the feel of him the first time around. I'm probably going to have to put time into him to really get his playstyle, but he was still a good character play as. Excellent priority.
Charizard-- Yeah, he's slow, but he's not Ganondorf Slow. If you can work with him, he's fairly good. Just know WHEN to use him. He's hard to Knock of stage-- and at the same time, he has EXCELLENT knockback, and some great grab game... at least from what I've played.

I won my first match. Can't go into any more details as I have to leave for my improv show soon, but I felt AWESOME. Happy.

I got dominated near the end of the SECOND match though, by a player who had the japanese version(who was actually a pretty nice guy too. We were pretty even during the start of it all, and near the end I kind of just lost track and made some stupid moves.) Classic Controller pisses me off. Really. It's far too loose to play with. I'd have rather have played with the wii remote, honestly. But that's a minor gripe.

Overall, It was awesome. Great experience. I say Better than E for All most definitely. I also got a 10 buck gift card from best buy out of it. Sweet.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
HOLY ****! HOLY ****!

My brother won the California tournament! I couldn't go because of a prior engagement, but he got the tickets to New York! He's taking me with so I can compete in New York, then potentially fight in the finals!

jngshin

Smash Cadet
just returned from it, here's what i noticed:
like already mentioned, battle field only, 4 min limit (no stock despite what the rules say), all items on high, and only original characters. When ness was unlocked, they would erase the data.

i ended up in the same group as danimals, pbody, and his friends (met them). I was planning to go marth, but ended up having to go fox. Classic controller is TERRIBLE. Overall, about 20 good melee players, but also a lot of casual players.

Both my friend and I ended up being eliminated by pbody's pokemon trainer. I watched ken play also. he went pit (marth is an unlockable), eventually lost to a kirby. The classic controllers only rule definitely threw everyone off.

i believe the top melee players have a VERY strong chance at getting to the finals at new york. Practicing with a classic controller, you pros have a great shot at the crystal wii and whatnot. yes items make the luck factor immense, but still.

also, manacloud's complaints are 100% accurate. dont expect a good tourney, and if ur under 18, DO NOT GO.(unless ur supporting someone). they only have one brawl booth for the general public, ours had a huge line with an unthinkable wait.

Top Bottom