• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Pre-Release Tournaments

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
HOLY ****! HOLY ****!

My brother won the California tournament! I couldn't go because of a prior engagement, but he got the tickets to New York! He's taking me with so I can compete in New York, then potentially fight in the finals!
You're too lucky.
Or maybe your brother is.
Depends, is he a skilled player XD?

I'll be attending the March 1st one probably...
But nothing is for sure yet...
-DD

S2

Smash Lord
Wow, that whole tournament seems like a poor "half" attempt by NoA.

They should have spent 20 minutes looking up MLG Melee rules and letting players use the GC controller.

I don't understand the need to force classic controllers, especially when Sakurai straight out says on his Dojo blog that the GC controller is the preferred way to play.

If NoA is going to host a big tournament like this, they might as well do it right. Even MS, who hosts a pretty lame tournament every year - at least has somewhat decent rulesets (even if they pick their games poorly, Project Gotham Racing.... seriously who cares about being "pro" at that).

Whatever, I'm glad I didn't drive down for this, because I was thinking about it.

TSA

Smash Rookie
Just a head's up - after hearing about the line thing today, next week's should be even more packed. Why?

Game Developer's Conference is all next week, and the press guys will probably be at the Saturday tournament because it is good coverage, so it will be a bigger hoopla. Not to mention, San Francisco is one of Nintendo's home turf areas now, so they'll treat it as a bigger event than the one down here in LA. Also, WonderCon is also going on that day, and so you'll have a huge *** influx of Otaku, Comic Book freaks and average joe gamers in the area already.

So just a head's up, next week's one will be the most packed of any of them.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Just a head's up - after hearing about the line thing today, next week's should be even more packed. Why?

Game Developer's Conference is all next week, and the press guys will probably be at the Saturday tournament because it is good coverage, so it will be a bigger hoopla. Not to mention, San Francisco is one of Nintendo's home turf areas now, so they'll treat it as a bigger event than the one down here in LA. Also, WonderCon is also going on that day, and so you'll have a huge *** influx of Otaku, Comic Book freaks and average joe gamers in the area already.

Very true, I was going to mention that. I actually have a 3 day pass to Wondercon. It may very well be packed twice as much.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
All of you people complaining about them doing the rules and everything wrong are silly...

You realize that people like YOU are the ones who changed the rules of the game.

The game was always meant to be played with items and to have mayhem and have fun. It was never about what tourney rules made it into. It was intended to be crazy fun and randomness.

That's not to say that your tournament play is wrong either. But Nintendo is not handling it wrong or horribly either. They are holding tournaments the way they wanted the game to be played before people decided to find a different way to play it to be more competitive.

Classic Controller is more or less a way to plug it and get you to buy them, because chances are, they're not going to resell Gamecube controllers like Japan did. lol.

If you don't want to be apart of these kinds of tournaments, then don't bother playing since it's too unfair for you. It's not like you're paying to play it.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

Hahaha... oh wow...

KungLao

Smash Rookie
My friends and I will be arriving at the SF event around 7am.

And I'll be going to GDC too :p

Just from what I have been reading around other forums....I'd recommend getting there early. Bring some chairs and a pillow because people are hyped. Items or not.

I personally don't care. You expected much from a Nintendo tourney? This is to promote the game. Not to cater to the tourney obsessed.

And while I understand what it's like to be left out of a gaming tourney because of being underage, I had to pay my due's. Now the new kids have to (yay for being 20!).

horrible tournament, poorly ran, too hyped. I dont mean to bash on nintendo , but they way this tourney was ran was horrible. First it was making 256 people wait outside on the side of the street for hours,then when the time was ready to play the rules were stupid as heck. 4 minutes , every item on high, the winner of this tournament is probably some random brawl noob who got lucky with random bombs and attacks. Every time a new character would appear they would have to reset the game and erase all data. You know a tournament is bad when wii classic controllers are involved when everyone knows smash is great with the game cube controller.

Also random items on high i mean hammers, instant one kill items, and tons of health replenish items. In addition to that stars. All i got to say is wtf nintendo. Btw, i asked the host outside if all the rosters characters are playable he said yes, then he said no, then later on he said yes, then later on when the time came it was only the original roster. Brawl and all smash games are only good when peoples skills are involved let everyone used who they are good at etc. In addition to this, the host also said smash is meant for all, the reason why we dont allow gamecube controllers is we want players to have equal fairness in all ways. all i was thinking was wow wtf....also every break nintendo would play their sponors " brawl the greatest game , with online capablities, go buy it basically." Most of every match would go to sudden death and random moves would kill, which would determine the PRO players of the bunch.

my final words, nintendo should stay out of the tournament scene, or let someone who knows about tournaments run them. IM done.
I completely and whole heartedly agree.

I had more fun playing on the mini TV and cub set up outside. And non of the other people who were able to participate in the tournament. There was one booth for those people, ONE booth. Lines racked up for as long as 3 hours until they shut it down.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
All of you people complaining about them doing the rules and everything wrong are silly...

You realize that people like YOU are the ones who changed the rules of the game.

The game was always meant to be played with items and to have mayhem and have fun. It was never about what tourney rules made it into. It was intended to be crazy fun and randomness.

That's not to say that your tournament play is wrong either. But Nintendo is not handling it wrong or horribly either. They are holding tournaments the way they wanted the game to be played before people decided to find a different way to play it to be more competitive.

Classic Controller is more or less a way to plug it and get you to buy them, because chances are, they're not going to resell Gamecube controllers like Japan did. lol.

If you don't want to be apart of these kinds of tournaments, then don't bother playing since it's too unfair for you. It's not like you're paying to play it.
Ok, when thousands of dollars worth of prizes is on the line, we want to be able to play like we normally do, not be forced to play in a style that in unfamiliar to us.

Nintendo completely ****ed up the rules, changing them many times as Mana said.

It was a ******** tournament. I'm glad I left afterwards to go to Irvine for a real Brawl tournament.

hyejinx

Smash Rookie
It was a ******** tournament. I'm glad I left afterwards to go to Irvine for a real Brawl tournament.
-You should have saved those of us who aren't impatient enough to import Brawl or stuck up enough to complain about the opportunity to play it three weeks shy of its release and left for Irvine beforehand. I played three matches today, won two of them, and couldn't be happier with the set-up or the way things turned out. Sorry to ruin your fun by having fun.

I've never posted on these forums before but your response to Nintendo's gracious offer of letting people play the game for free or for reasonably expensive prizes struck a chord in me. Next time, why not do those of us who don't mind playing by Nintendo's rules at a Nintendo-sponsored event a favor and stay home?

V1rtuE

Smash Rookie
Ok, when thousands of dollars worth of prizes is on the line, we want to be able to play like we normally do, not be forced to play in a style that in unfamiliar to us.

Nintendo completely ****ed up the rules, changing them many times as Mana said.

Because you know, Nintendo anticipates that everyone out there has either mod'd or bought a japanese Wii, then imported the game over and has gotten ton's of practice. They really should allow the game to be played in a way that would suit those players, considering thats obviously the majority of the community.

I've never posted here before either, but your comment has got to be one of the worst I've seen yet. I've visited these forums for a while now and seen some horrible stuff, and this is the only thats angered me.

How dare Nintendo give everyone a chance to play their game the way it was intended to be played, when the game hasn't even been released yet.

How dare Nintendo allow players to travel from around and not have to worry about bringing their own controllers, instead having all player use the same format of controller which is a a bridge between the GC and Wiimote.

I just love the fact that you're like "We want to play a style that isn't unfamiliar to us" and yet the game hasn't even been released in the states yet.

Seriously, this game/event was not meant as a super serious competitive tournament for the game, the point of this tournament was to get people hyped for the game/publicize it even more. Did you see the VIP Room's above the tournament? Yes, press was there, was this being publicized? Yes it was.

The atmosphere of the tournament was great, and as a tournament for fun overall it succeeded greatly.

It's been said before, but if you didn't have fun, don't go anymore, because with your negative attitude you would probably just bring down the mood for everyone else.

~ Hope to not see you at the next one.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Well, good for you for playing it early. Some people went to the tournament with high hopes. Not to john for Ken, but do you believe in the slightest that a random person could beat him in a normal tournament setting? I think the answer is no.

Does the fact that most people got to play it 3 weeks early make up for the fact that Nintendo didn't announce the 18+ rule until people got in line for a few hours? Or the fact that the rules that were PASSED OUT TO EVERYONE were changed right as the tournament started?

I went to the tournament expecting it to be run fairly for everyone, for Nintendo to have some idea of how tournaments are normally ran. I found out the rules after waiting in line for 4+ hours. I wasn't just going to walk out after that.

I'm fairly certain that Manacloud even talked to those in charge about changing the rules to be more fair, and what happened? The rules just became even worse.

It's so frustrating for a normal tournament goer to get to a tournament with HUGE prizes, only to lose because of the rules.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Because you know, Nintendo anticipates that everyone out there has either mod'd or bought a japanese Wii, then imported the game over and has gotten ton's of practice. They really should allow the game to be played in a way that would suit those players, considering thats obviously the majority of the community.

I've never posted here before either, but your comment has got to be one of the worst I've seen yet. I've visited these forums for a while now and seen some horrible stuff, and this is the only thats angered me.

How dare Nintendo give everyone a chance to play their game the way it was intended to be played, when the game hasn't even been released yet.

How dare Nintendo allow players to travel from around and not have to worry about bringing their own controllers, instead having all player use the same format of controller which is a a bridge between the GC and Wiimote.

I just love the fact that you're like "We want to play a style that isn't unfamiliar to us" and yet the game hasn't even been released in the states yet.

Seriously, this game/event was not meant as a super serious competitive tournament for the game, the point of this tournament was to get people hyped for the game/publicize it even more. Did you see the VIP Room's above the tournament? Yes, press was there, was this being publicized? Yes it was.

The atmosphere of the tournament was great, and as a tournament for fun overall it succeeded greatly.

It's been said before, but if you didn't have fun, don't go anymore, because with your negative attitude you would probably just bring down the mood for everyone else.

~ Hope to not see you at the next one.
If you don't want an event to be a super serious competitive tournament, don't make the prizes worth thousands of dollars. Easy as that.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
Very true, I was going to mention that. I actually have a 3 day pass to Wondercon. It may very well be packed twice as much.
With this info along with how the tournament went, I am not certain what to expect.

Decisions....

EDIT: Even if any of us win, I feel it would be a hollow victory...

Rickety

Peace and Love
Yes, this tournament wasn't a "Standard Rules" ruleset, and I do agree with Mana and Jake The Boy, and I would have like to use a GameCube controller, but honestly, I'm just very happy that Nintendo went out of their way to host an event like this, at no cost to us.

Yes, there were things that could have been improved upon, but at the end of the day, I think we should look at this as a favor to us on Nintendo's part and thank them for this opportunity. I got to meet nice people, see old friends again, and free soymilk! <3

Nicky woke me up! :(

<3
rick(ety)

EDIT: Please don't fight :(
Let's all be friends, yes? :]
Part of what makes the smash community so great and unlike other fighting game communities is our kindness towards others :]

V1rtuE

Smash Rookie
So, the only reason to play the unreleased game is to try to win cash, since fun should not be a factor for the tournament.

Best Buy/Nintendo Sponsored the tournament, you think that the prizes would have been near as big if they had not? That store credit they gave out was chump change to them.

Everyone I've talked to that is not a super serious, must play this game to be the best and thats it, player has said that it was a great tournament and a lot of fun. If you're already only playing the game for money and it's not even released in the states, then thats truly sad.

It's called pre-release hype, people hear that the game has already had several tournaments worth thousands of dollars in prizes, they assume that the game must already be huge. I don't care how you like to play your smash, just don't come in here bashing on them because they didn't throw a tournament that fits every, "Final Destination, 1v1, no items, fox only" players only, because thats not how they intend to see their unreleased game played.

EDIT: The funny thing is, I would never stand up for Nintendo this much normally because I don't like what they've done with casualizing gaming. I've always played games competitively and I wish that gaming would stay like that, but when Nintendo goes out of their way to host a FREE tournament for a game thats not slated to be released for another 3-4 weeks, and then they get bashed about the details of the tournament not fiting every competitive players needs... it just seems a bit silly doesn't it?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I think you are completely missing the point. I do have fun competing in tournaments, and I hardly ever win any money from Melee.

If this had been my first time playing Brawl, then yes, I would have enjoyed just being able to play it. But since I've played it extensively over the past few weeks, I came for the big prize.

I told you, I was frustrated that the rules kept being changed, such as the 18+ rule and changing matches from stock to timed.

Basically, I like everything about the tournament but the tournament itself. I enjoyed waiting in line while talking with new people, appreciated the free goodies that Nintendo gave to us, and seeing familiar faces. Like Tommy! Wow, that was a big surprise to see you there.

Kyuudo

Smash Rookie
Only on Smashboards would someone think that fan-made rules should supercede the rules of the company that makes the game, and is sponsoring the tournament at no charge to the partipants.

Christ.

By the way, it was an absolute blast in LA, the crowd was absolutely loving it and everyone I talked to (in line and before matches) was having a great time. I'm thankful I didn't speak to JTB, Manacloud, or anyone of a similar mindset.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Did anyone do the time match scoring exploit?
I haven't tried it in brawl yet, but here's how it works.

You fight until you kill your opponent
---------------------------------------------
Your Score : 1
Opponent : -1
--------------------------------
When you get at high damage, you kill yourself
----------------------------------------
Your Score : 0
Opponent : -1

If you do this, it makes it impossible for your opponent to trade kills with you and make it a tie.
The key is to survive until you are really high damage and kill yourself.
I haven't done this in brawl, but this could be the key to victory, since 3 stock matches take longer than 4 minutes, the points difference will be a max of 0-6 points, and only 6 points if its a slaughter.

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Nintendo would want kids hanging around street corners in early mornings or camping out at night by themselves with no guaranteed parental supervision. Besides, the winners would have to fly out to NY, it's pretty unnecessary to pay for more tickets for a guardian just because someone's too young. It seems Nintendo is playing it safe so it would be easier for them, which is fine with me. The less minors the better - in so many levels.

And the four preliminary tournaments are taking place in the next weeks starting today, so I'm not sure where you got a "day before it comes out" from. I personally can't wait for next week.
I LIVE in New York already.

But still, I cant trust my Dad to win this tournament for me. He....just.....Ain't that good.

Maybe I can convince my Dad to tame me there so I can get a reservation or something.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Did anyone do the time match scoring exploit?
When you SD in Brawl, your opponent gets +1 and you get -1. The only exception is if your opponent hasn't even damaged you yet (such as SDing immediately after respawning).

Part of what makes the smash community so great and unlike other fighting game communities is our kindness towards others :]
I agree with JTB, but especially Rickety.
BTW, where did you get free soymilk?!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sorry, messing up my multi-quote buttons.
Double Post ftl.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
When you SD in Brawl, your opponent gets +1 and you get -1. The only exception is if your opponent hasn't even damaged you yet (such as SDing immediately after respawning).

Okay, so its changed from "the person who killed you" to "the last person that hit you".

I am so happy they fixed that :D

bbbooster

RAINBOW FLOWER MEGA CANNON
Yeah, they passed out free soymilk!! Woo! And EVERYONE who was in the tournament gets a $10 gift cert for BestBuy AND experience with the game. Seriously, this was the kind of event where you didn't want to be a serious competitor. :( I was all excited, too, with my gamecube controller! But whatever, it was all worthwhile and so much fun for me who doesn't have a Japanese copy/Wii. I really thought Ken had the whole thing, too! RaaannnDOM. I definitely agree with how dominant the luck factor was, LOL but EVERYone was struggling from the controller deal. Still, I saw lots of people who knew what they were doing after getting the hang of it, so it was also really great in-person insight to how some new characters work.

EDIT: Oh! If anyone saw me at the LA one, I was the girl in the white skirt xD Sorry to those random people I kept having to squeeze through for my seat, LOL

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
With this info along with how the tournament went, I am not certain what to expect.

Decisions....

EDIT: Even if any of us win, I feel it would be a hollow victory...
Hollow victory? If you take it as seriously as some of these folks then yes, I agree. But this is Nintendo's tournament, not the community's. They can have us fighting in Hyrule, shrunk, and with 1/4 speed and there's really nothing any of us can do to change it. But my point is, none of us should be all butt hurt because Nintendo didn't abide by our rules. Obviously this isn't the metagame tourney we're all so used to with no items, etc., so why should anyone even get their hopes up? Nintendo shouldn't be blamed for choosing to go the direction they did with this tournament, it's the players who got their hopes up and fell for their marketing strategy. It would be like buying lotto tickets and making a big scene about it later on when you find out you didn't win.

For those who are interested, I say just have fun. I personally haven't played Brawl so that's what I'm looking forward to - win or lose. And even if you're a serious competitor, be realistic. This tournament has it's own rules, wether it's fair to you or not, so just work your way around it. In the end, like someone previously mentioned, this has more to do with marketing than it does with making a very serious tournament.

Besides, if they did make this a serious tournament, who will be the ones b*tching? Right, the majority of us Americans who hasn't imported the game yet who will get their butts kicked by those who had weeks to practice. Either way it's not fair, so let's just take this opportunity to celebrate the game and have fun.

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
I thought nintendo ran a good tournament except I was really mad when i found out that it was 18+ after waiting in line for 3 hours but I still got to play a match and watch a lot of good ones so it was still fun :D

floe

Smash Rookie
Did anyone throughly read the contract? The rules said you could only participate in one region. I was wondering if that was in the contract we signed.

floe

Smash Rookie
this guy at the tournament was a really good olimar I was surprised he didnt end up in the finals.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow someone actually did? I'm tempted to use him for next week because I can't wait to start training with him, but I don't want to get 1HKO quickly... hm..
Hope you have a classic controller to train with as well. It is something you have to practice with for a bit to really get used to.

I say F it, I am still going to go regardless of how the tournament was. My only worry is the GDC.

Oceanborn, I am up for planning any sort of way to get there as early as possible without overnighting it if you are.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
so you're saying that since I live in New Jersey I can't enter this tournament?

do I need NY state ID? Cuz I don't have that, I just have NJ state ID.

Can I even enter?
By "only in one region" it means you can't go to more than one regional event in an attempt to get into the finals.

You might need ID to prove that you are over 18...

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Hope you have a classic controller to train with as well. It is something you have to practice with for a bit to really get used to.

I say F it, I am still going to go regardless of how the tournament was. My only worry is the GDC.

Oceanborn, I am up for planning any sort of way to get there as early as possible without overnighting it if you are.
Let's just not go with the "this is a serious competition" mindset and just have some fun, I think that would be better, lol. If we take it seriously we'd be grumpy too like some of the folks in here. I might go to my local EBGames/Gamestop and test out the controller, I never even seen it in person before. I just assume it's like a normal GC controller with some minor changes and less bulky.

But anyway since you're coming from Sac, I'm not really sure how long it'll take you to get from there to SF. I'm most likely going to go and drive down to the BART station close to my house and take the earliest ones (I believe the first train is at 4 AM? I may take the 5 AM one if it seems too early.) I'd drive to SF but man, Wondercon? I'd rather not get caught up in that mess of a traffic, lol.

But yeah, I'd say I'll be there around 4-5 AM depending on how big this thing gets by this Saturday. As of now I doubt people would be willing to sleep cold nights just to enter this.

Shadow_zero920

Smash Apprentice
Let's just not go with the "this is a serious competition" mindset and just have some fun, I think that would be better, lol. If we take it seriously we'd be grumpy too like some of the folks in here. I might go to my local EBGames/Gamestop and test out the controller, I never even seen it in person before. I just assume it's like a normal GC controller with some minor changes and less bulky.

But anyway since you're coming from Sac, I'm not really sure how long it'll take you to get from there to SF. I'm most likely going to go and drive down to the BART station close to my house and take the earliest ones (I believe the first train is at 4 AM? I may take the 5 AM one if it seems too early.) I'd drive to SF but man, Wondercon? I'd rather not get caught up in that mess of a traffic, lol.

But yeah, I'd say I'll be there around 4-5 AM depending on how big this thing gets by this Saturday.
Hehe, ya, as long as we go with the "let's have fun" sort of mind set, it shouldn't be bad. It is smash fans uniting together to play a game we all have been waiting for.

I plan on leaving around 5 am here and getting there around 7. Traffic shouldn't be a problem, it is parking that I am a bit bothered about.

We should definitely exchange numbers the day before so we can meet up.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, ya, as long as we go with the "let's have fun" sort of mind set, it shouldn't be bad. It is smash fans uniting together to play a game we all have been waiting for.

I plan on leaving around 5 am here and getting there around 7. Traffic shouldn't be a problem, it is parking that I am a bit bothered about.

We should definitely exchange numbers the day before so we can meet up.
Yeah I'll definitely PM you on Friday. I just hope this thing doesn't blow up too big by then that we have to end up camping out. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom