• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Srk???????
Shoryuken forums, I think somebody has your exact name (with the "!") and avatar over there then.

adumbrodeus has somewhat convinced me to try sitting in a bush for an hour.
Do it, wonders for your patience and observation skills, and if you ever need it, extremely useful. Having somebody who knows exactly where you are and most sure you are completely hidden and gives you a demerit whenever you make a sound (my Joshu) adds to the extercise. But small doses first, 5 minutes.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
THAT SUCKS! i cant believe someone in a ssbb comunity has the same gamer name! ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH
Huh? That's SF community.

D:
then no emporer titles for you

anyway,
yeah that's goodstuff right there about that there MK getting talked about in SBR
yeah dude
D*mn, really? That sucks.

I hid in a closet for two hours.
Closets are easy, hid in one all day.

Now, bushes are uncomfortable, much harder. Also, easier to make noise in. To properly train gotta be absolutely still.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Now, bushes are uncomfortable, much harder. Also, easier to make noise in. To properly train gotta be absolutely still.
Lol, what are you, a ninja?

@BPC: Nothing much to say. Right now it's either Pro-Restriction or Pro-Ban. Staying full anti-ban is just silly.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
?
is your name adam by any chance? :D
Pretty sure his name's actually Evan.

adum, how the hell do you have time for parcour, multiple martial arts, competitive smash, and learning competitive street fighter? Do you not have a job/school? I do...2 of those and I'm crazy busy in addition to my job.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Can't say anything about the MLG ruleset beyond that it's in discussion. You'll have to ask the Head Director (Ankoku) or the members of the head council (AlphaZealot, Hylian, and Marc) for anything beyond that.

Sorry guys.

Pretty sure his name's actually Evan.

adum, how the hell do you have time for parcour, multiple martial arts, competitive smash, and learning competitive street fighter? Do you not have a job/school? I do...2 of those and I'm crazy busy in addition to my job.
Erm, I'm actually a literal genius, and I have both, hence why most of my tournament attendance is when there's no school.

But, that's not even the half of it.

Also, sorry, no.

Lol, what are you, a ninja?

@BPC: Nothing much to say. Right now it's either Pro-Restriction or Pro-Ban. Staying full anti-ban is just silly.
Check my Zelda boards profile, lol.

Some people hide in a closet for too long :S
They even get trapped in them
lol, f***ing lol.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
Any Anti-Ban is wrong, if you look at the frame data that puts Meta Knight in top of the tier. :/

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
so....what happened to the discussion about mk...?
Well, apparently all antiban arguments have died/been proved wrong, and we are reaching a conclusion.

Pro-restriction is way too impractical to be properly applied, so there is only one more exit left...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I doubt MLG will ban MK, you know, a sponsored tourney pretty much starting a test for MK's banworthyness? I don't see that happening.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I doubt MLG will ban MK, you know, a sponsored tourney pretty much starting a test for MK's banworthyness? I don't see that happening.
moar like, you don't WANT to see that happening.

....but you may be right :[

I can assure you though, that if MK is allowed and isn't severely limited, oh god so many MKs are going to look at DMG's data and plank to win x_x

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
We have already proven MK is banworthy, and any questioning of that just makes you look a little silly. Whether or not we have to ban him is a different story, but he is indeed "banworthy."

TP

Smash Master
I'm pro-ban in general, but anti-ban when it comes to MLG. Is that a stupid opinion or a practical one?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm pro-ban in general, but anti-ban when it comes to MLG. Is that a stupid opinion or a practical one?
It's silly. If you're pro-ban, you recognize how bad MK is for the game at this point in time and how difficult (read: impossible) he is to micro-regulate without a.) admitting he is broken or b.) punishing characters that aren't broken. I'm not sure why MLG is exempt from this, unless you're trying to make Brawl appear to be a better game than it is to the public eye.

DMG said it best: you can't just regulate all the things about MK that make him broken and go "lookie here he's not broken anymore!" Either he's broken or he isn't.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Any Anti-Ban is wrong, if you look at the frame data that puts Meta Knight in top of the tier. :/
It isn't realistical though. Just because it "can" work doesn't mean humans will do it perfectly. That's like saying Ganondorf and Snake have an infinite on everyone...

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
That is totally not the same thing. Their tech chases require reactions to what their opponents are doing. Planking requires nothing of the sort. lol

TP

Smash Master
It's silly. If you're pro-ban, you recognize how bad MK is for the game at this point in time and how difficult (read: impossible) he is to micro-regulate without a.) admitting he is broken or b.) punishing characters that aren't broken. I'm not sure why MLG is exempt from this, unless you're trying to make Brawl appear to be a better game than it is to the public eye.

DMG said it best: you can't just regulate all the things about MK that make him broken and go "lookie here he's not broken anymore!" Either he's broken or he isn't.
I am.

10sponsorships

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
That is totally not the same thing. Their tech chases require reactions to what their opponents are doing. Planking requires nothing of the sort. lol
planking requires a certain amount of decision making... like, should you use uair, or should you use downB?

if you make the wrong decision... well, you're still probably in a better position than your opponent. :laugh:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yes it does.

"MK can down B all the time to avoid projectiles" -> edgehog "but then he can just move on the stage" -> okay then don't edgehog and punish MK

You just need to have a projectile + be able to edgehog him while it could hit MK.

With Diddy you could Z drop a banana + grab the ledge. MK could move on the stage with downB, but you can punish it if you don't edgehog... now MK has 3 options. You edgehog and he SDs, or he goes on stage, or he stays below the ledge -> MK would probably go on stage or wait below (->you could hit him with projectiles). So you can Z drop a banana, the MK thinks "okay, he'll edgehog" and then you punish his downB with a fair or something. you could also have the other banana on stage so that he'd trip... With Snake you could also have a granade on the edge if the MK goes there; and just edgehog after you throw the other granade down to him...

MK could wait below the ledge with his many double jumps though, but then he's vulnerable.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I still question the fact of banning MK when Planking and Scrooging are legit stall tactics, of which have been banned in 100% of all cases beforehand, rather than banning the character (such as Jigglypuff's rising pound in Melee), so why are we trying to go from the norm and ban MK instead?

I mean, If you're saying "The next best strategy is to grab the ledges X times, and only scrooge X often (if allowed at all)", then whats stopping Jigglypuffs from Rising pounding over the ledge when they get knocked off for 10 seconds at a time and calling it "Strategic recovery" or something?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why worry about the item if MK is inv. while he is dropping, he might as well catch the banana while you're at it.
Okay how about this: You throw the first banana up, then you take the second and throw it up too, then you edgehog... If he catches the first one he'll get hit by the second one...

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
While you are wasting time throwing two bananas up he grabs the ledge again....Throwing two bananas up is more than enough time to do so.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Odds are people will look at recent large tourneys and see that MK hasn't taken top placings (1 and 2) for a while and likely base their ban decision on that.

@Ulti: I've already addressed that, and they hide behind "objective definition" every time. It's fairly frustrating, because it's quite a legitimate point.

EDIT: Better idea: Don't let MK get percent advantage. ADHD doesn't seem to have many issues with this.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
Well if MLG allows MK it will be funny to see MK dittos all over the place and I'll be laughing in'11 because MK will have shown his true colors.

Luigi player

Smash Master
While you are wasting time throwing two bananas up he grabs the ledge again....Throwing two bananas up is more than enough time to do so.
but when they come down he's out of invincibility and has to go away... the whole thing with "he can downB to avoid all projectiles" doesn't work anymore when you grab the ledge while a projectile is on the way to MK.

Gnes: don't bananas beat drill rush? How about you edgehog it? (you're invincible for a short time so you can stay at the ledge a bit -> MK won't grab the ledge in time and get's hit from the banana that is falling down...)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I am.

10sponsorships
I'm just wondering what your explanation for that is? How will having MK make Brawl appear to be a better game, while banning him would make it appear worse?

With MK people are going to see: lots and lots of MKs (obviously)
that will get boring.
On top of that there will likely be quite a bit of timing out, with or without limits to planking. Timeouts happen with other characters too, but if anyone sees it happen repeatedly with Metaknight they're most likely going to instantly lose interest :/

Without Metaknight...well, we don't really know what will happen.

All I know is that when I watch livestreams of large tournaments all I see are MK, MK, MK, MK, Snake, Diddy, MK MK MK.

And if anyone thinks banning a character will make the community look scrubby and anticompetitive, I don't agree. If I saw a game had a character banned I would simply be interested in seeing the reasoning for it, I wouldn't pretend I know enough about the game to say they're scrubs for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom