• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
At high level competitive play with players that are actually good, a low tier character like Bowser should never win. If you see a Bowser player actually win, then clearly that player is both less skilled than the Bowser player and they also aren't very good at all.

For example, look at Genesis Melee Singles. There isn't a single Bowser main in the top 50. Low tier characters obviously aren't as good as high tier chars, but they also have little potential no matter what person plays that character. Even Mango playing Kirby could not beat another top player even if Mango could read that player perfectly.
germ got 25th as Link

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
At high level competitive play with players that are actually good, a low tier character like Bowser should never win. If you see a Bowser player actually win, then clearly that player is both less skilled than the Bowser player and they also aren't very good at all.

For example, look at Genesis Melee Singles. There isn't a single Bowser main in the top 50. Low tier characters obviously aren't as good as high tier chars, but they also have little potential no matter what person plays that character. Even Mango playing Kirby could not beat another top player even if Mango could read that player perfectly.
1. lolgimpyfish & loldjnintendo

2. lolkamaster several years ago when luigi was considered low tier. lolbum & lolpkm when DK was considered low tier. lolaxe. lolgerm at genesis. lol djn & pkm.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

1. lolgimpyfish & loldjnintendo

2. lolkamaster several years ago when luigi was considered low tier. lolbum & lolpkm when DK was considered low tier. lolaxe. lolgerm at genesis. lol djn & pkm.
There's actually perfectly logical explanations for almost all of those, the main reason being people being inexperienced and / or unknowledgeable of their matchups.

Not that it even matters because none of those players have placed well in tournaments with good players in today's metagame.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
There's actually perfectly logical explanations for almost all of those, the main reason being people being inexperienced and / or unknowledgeable of their matchups.

Not that it even matters because none of those players have placed well in tournaments with good players in today's metagame.
I darrrrrrrre you to play DJnintendo's booser and then talk...

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Did you miss this part of Victra's post? If not, explain please?
Germ placed well, not gonna lie. Maybe he had an easy bracket, maybe he didn't, it doesn't really matter though because assuming that he's 25th best in the world just because he placed 25th would be an ignorant assumption. Didn't Germ get 4-stocked by Mango when they played at an SCSA event recently this year...? Or maybe that was another player like Zhu or Lucky or something? I'm not really surprised.

And if you're talking about that set that Axe won against Jman, Jman has already stated multiple times that he lost his controller at Genesis and he had to use other controllers from other people. And when you main Fox (and you're arguably one of the top 10 players in the nation so you're very sensitive to your controller) it makes a massive difference. Any good Fox main will know that.

Also, DJ Nintendo...lol...I haven't seen him actually beat anybody who's actually good, I've only seen him go double Bowser in Doubles and own some scrubs up who don't even know how to play the game properly. >_>

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Real talk tho, matchups are very important. A better player can lose to a worse one because of matchup knowledge(1 of the adv of low tiers, the other is u get jocked harder lol).

But just the same a better player using a low tier can win simple by being better, smash knowledge. Playing a better game, ie better spacing better decisions.

What generally makes a low tier a worse character is simply because they have less options overall. Low tiers often have fewer approaches, lower priority moves, or lack in speed or power.

High tiers just have the ability to be less predictable. Of course all of this is indicative to playstyles but the high tier characters seem to have many more visual differences.

Why can fox and falco be played well by being campy and aggressive or anything in between..

Any player can lose to any player with the right circumstances. Just overall, playing a higher tier character you have a higher % of not being disadvantaged when entering a fight.

Also, I saw dj nintendo beat a few good players at genesis. They werent all known players but they werent scrubs. Somehow that dude wrecks samus players.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The Jman/Axe thing is still getting mentioned? Look I know he beat Axe with Shiz's controller in a mm afterward but having the wrong controller doesn't cause you to up-B in places that make you extremely vulnerable to textbook pikachu gimps. Lets be real.

Edit: Matchup Knowledge is beyond important.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
One of the reasons M2K starting maining Marth after MLG Vegas was because his controller had broken or something and his new one wasn't a good Fox controller. He also said it was part of the reason he didn't beat Ken at MLG Vegas but that's just johns imo. All of that being said, I can play with most controllers to a certain extent, but I'm most comfortable with mine because my hands are used to it.

Just saying, using your own controller can matter if you're really picky, or just main Fox.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea, It seems afterdawn is always on the defensive cuz hes talking out of his ***.

dude when I take a break from smash I get better, soooo.... take a break from posting.
catch my drift?

D

Deleted member

DJN is amazing. If you think otherwise, stop posting in this thread.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
DJN is amazing. If you think otherwise, stop posting in this thread.
This.

DJN will **** 95% of smashers with his bowser

I know, I've played it and I've been ***** by it

He spent the night at my house the other weekend with a few others and his whole arsenal of chars is insane. He knows all the match ups soooo well

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
The Jman/Axe thing is still getting mentioned? Look I know he beat Axe with Shiz's controller in a mm afterward but having the wrong controller doesn't cause you to up-B in places that make you extremely vulnerable to textbook pikachu gimps. Lets be real.

Edit: Matchup Knowledge is beyond important.
Yeah but I'm sure if he had his controller, the difference would've been much greater (in his favor) than the difference between one or two bad recoveries. Honestly top tiers don't need to low tier matchups for the most part, especially someone like Jman. I'm sure he could play most of the best low tier mains, wing it, and still do **** (if he had his controller / wasn't demoralized). That's why Fox is top tier.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
so let me get this right, a tier list a ranking list for a character's metagame, right?. such as tactics. but what i don't understand is what the letters mean. like A? is it the A button? i checked the wiki. but..

Vro

Smash Lord
tiers are ranked in list or grade. a is better than b which is better than c. did you go to grammar school?

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
lol you are amazing, I love how he didn't get that post.
lol. yeah, i remember now that in some video games, you were ranked on how well you played in a game. for example, the world ends with you. they had grades at the end of a battle. i just went dumbfounded for a minute.:laugh:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol. yeah, i remember now that in some video games, you were ranked on how well you played in a game. for example, the world ends with you. they had grades at the end of a battle. i just went dumbfounded for a minute.:laugh:
I forget which games would have that.. but it's not really how well you do, it's how well the character does vs other characters.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
so let me get this right, a tier list a ranking list for a character's metagame, right?. such as tactics. but what i don't understand is what the letters mean. like A? is it the A button? i checked the wiki. but..
is this kage on another account?? LOL

also, controller johns are like the only legit john i listen to when i play kids who actually john.

lexington

Smash Cadet
no. its so sad to see the last list for melee.

although people will keep playing it forever

great list
totally agree....melee will never die!!!!!!!!!

Ganon should be higher imo, he has even match up with marth, bad match up vs Sheik/fox/falco/falcon but.. he has good match-ups vs Jiggly/peach/Icy/samus and Doc. He also has a good match-up vs all the characters below him except, Dk and Bowser.

To me anyways, i have had no problems whatsoever vs the matchups I just named.
i disagree, peach and IC can easaly beat the crap out of gano, jigs may have problems obviously xD but still can do her tricks...and samus? are you kidding me? samus >>>>>> ganon, by far way far, samus has missiles =) not to mention everything she's got xD....ganon hits hard i know, but still, nothing a good spacing can't do =)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ganon obliterates ic :( ima pick falco next time i have to play ganon in tourny

i have never failed with that

i dont know why i still wanna fight with ic's -_- ugh it's always an uphill battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom