• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Umm that's because there is no one the top top level with Peach right now, only Armada can do it, it seems and Cort at the time I think was doing very well no? Well I know at least in doubles he ***** with PC. The only Peach i know right now that can maybe place well is probably Vwins.
Wouldn't this mean the evidence points to Peach not being as strong a character as Puff? If only one peach in recent years has managed to only get second why is Peach still the better character? Why does peach earn a higher spot than a character that has constantly been placing better than her?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
What potential? What new techniques are suddenly going to be discovered for Peach that's going to make her better? What player is going to come out who's better than Armada or Cort or Mike G or Pink Shinobi that's suddenly going to prove that Peach deserves her spot?

Fox at least has a half decade of wins below his belt, what does Peach have?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm

top 7 characters all have even matchups with each other for the most part

besides random 60:40's or 55:45's scattered around here and there

so i think as long as they are all top 7, it doesnt really matter. they are all viable to win a tourny. perhaps maybe falcon may be falling behind a little but honestly not by much.

the only real change i see in the metagame (since this tier list was created) besides players just getting better...

i think ic's have fallen behind, and doc is better than them now. i could be biased cuz we have shroomed and hmw on the west coast tho.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
idk chars like falcon/jiggs/peach get hit really hard by their bad match-ups w/ fox/marth, and sheik/falco for falcon. those are the most common characters in tourney, too.
top 7 are tourney viable though.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well honestly it comes down to who are the otp players right now

genesis definitely showed that falcon/puff/peach can still hang with the characters who are supposedly better

i know falcon has a really bad matchup against sheik, but he still has decent matchups with the rest of the top 7, and not everyone can play a gay tech chasing/gimping sheik in tourny.

honestly if u made a matchup web for all the top 7 characters, no matchup would be more than 60:40 disadvantage

except maybe falcon vs sheik, that sounds like the worst one IMO. puff falco seems pretty bad as well but still, falco has a lot of stuff he can do.

the rest are all proven to be adaptable

unknown522

Some guy
well honestly it comes down to who are the otp players right now

genesis definitely showed that falcon/puff/peach can still hang with the characters who are supposedly better

i know falcon has a really bad matchup against sheik, but he still has decent matchups with the rest of the top 7, and not everyone can play a gay tech chasing/gimping sheik in tourny.

honestly if u made a matchup web for all the top 7 characters, no matchup would be more than 60:40 disadvantage

except maybe falcon vs sheik, that sounds like the worst one IMO. puff falco seems pretty bad as well but still, falco has a lot of stuff he can do.

the rest are all proven to be adaptable
All the good fox players have quit.

except Jman.

that is all.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
I thought most people had good foxes >_<

it's just that they choose to use other characters because they are better with the "other"

doesn't every falco main tend to also have a fox that's also good? Shiz uses one against hbox, Zhu uses it against hbox and pink shinobi. M2K also has a great fox. Honestly, most players have foxes (even armada :colorful: lol)

it's just that it's hard to find somebody that mains fox and not some other top/high tier, but they almost always have him as a trump card

-im refering to incredibly good players, not literally everybody, in case somebody reads this incorrectly

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yeah, betterthanbonds9 is right.

shiz and zhu especially. they use fox for puff pretty much indefinitely. zhu uses fox against zhu

the fox mains are definitely still up there

genesis just proved that top 7 characters are all viable to win. so i dont think the order really matters all that much, we just know that

fox falco sheik marth are probably the best
falcon and jiggs are not as great but can still win
peach can be the greatest or worst among those 7, it depends, shes just peach

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
lol yeah, betterthanbonds9 is right.

shiz and zhu especially. they use fox for puff pretty much indefinitely. zhu uses fox against zhu

the fox mains are definitely still up there

genesis just proved that top 7 characters are all viable to win. so i dont think the order really matters all that much, we just know that

fox falco sheik marth are probably the best
falcon and jiggs are not as great but can still win
peach can be the greatest or worst among those 7, it depends, shes just peach
Zhu uses fox against zhu? I guess Zhu wants to trick himself by using his fox which zhu's falco has no experience against.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
This has got me thinking, what if you made a program where you could play yourself. Like, just have the two characters start on different and equal sides of the stage and you would do inputs for character number one and the program would make it so you would do the same input but directionally backwards for the second character.

Then, theoretically, you could fight yourself, but you could only technically fight in the exact middle of the map, and everything would clash.

...I never said it would be a realistic program.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
This has got me thinking, what if you made a program where you could play yourself. Like, just have the two characters start on different and equal sides of the stage and you would do inputs for character number one and the program would make it so you would do the same input but directionally backwards for the second character.

Then, theoretically, you could fight yourself, but you could only technically fight in the exact middle of the map, and everything would clash.

...I never said it would be a realistic program.
mess with a wavebird a bit so that one receiver reads the r/l incorrectly?

without doing anything like that you can still start a match and get them to the center and make the 2 wavebird receivers teh same frequency for fun stuff like 2 punches colliding :p

I would camp myself so hard. True fact.
lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Fighting yourself would be such a challenge lol.. to overcome yourself is like.. transcending. I myself would become greater than a warrior. lol. Though Ganon dittos are BS haha.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
chart update: apparently, according to Smashwiki,the tie is broken. Cap is 6th(8.1), Jiggs is 7th(8.0). it might have been vandalism though, so I'm not sure...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
chart update: apparently, according to Smashwiki,the tie is broken. Cap is 6th(8.1), Jiggs is 7th(8.0). it might have been vandalism though, so I'm not sure...
Jiggs should be higher then falcon.She priority ***** just about everyone and has better overall match-ups then the captain. Sheik alone does worse stuff to Captain falcon then anyone in the top does to Jiggs, and his only advantage in the top is a really tiny one to marth.

SergeantNoob

Smash Rookie
Meh...

i dont think tiers help the way you fight in melee.
I mean what really matters is the way you play as your character and using the stage itself as an advantage.

Sure, some characters can have advantages by using projectiles, being a speedy character, etc.
I mean look at Gimpyfish, he mains bowser, a "bottom tier" character, but he could destroy a "high tier" character.

Personally i think its the strategy you put in a particular stage that matters(those counterpicking things).
its a if im saying all characters that have projectiles should go on high tier.

Correct me if im wrong, I have yet to learn...

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Meh...

I mean what really matters is the way you play as your character and using the stage itself as an advantage.

Sure, some characters can have advantages by using projectiles, being a speedy character, etc.
I mean look at Gimpyfish, he mains bowser, a "bottom tier" character, but he could destroy a "high tier" character.

Personally i think its the strategy you put in a particular stage that matters(those counterpicking things).

Sorry man, but you are wrong. Tiers do exist. DJ Nintendo and Gimpyfish both use Bowser, and at a high level of play they can NOT destroy the high and top tiers. Low levels of play and high levels are completely different. When starting out tiers do not matter nearly as much as they do once you start incorporating Advanced Techniques, AT's.

Using the stage to your advantage is great and all, but besides Peach on Mute City, winning a match is not stage dependent at high levels of play. But using a low tier vs a top tier is tier dependent. There is a reason why Taj's Mewtwo or Gimpy's Bowser, or DJ Nintendo's Bowser haven't won a tournament...yet :).

Low levels - sure tiers aren't important. High levels - you better believe it son!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Sorry man, but you are wrong. Tiers do exist. DJ Nintendo and Gimpyfish both use Bowser, and at a high level of play they can NOT destroy the high and top tiers. Low levels of play and high levels are completely different. When starting out tiers do not matter nearly as much as they do once you start incorporating Advanced Techniques, AT's.

Using the stage to your advantage is great and all, but besides Peach on Mute City, winning a match is not stage dependent at high levels of play. But using a low tier vs a top tier is tier dependent. There is a reason why Taj's Mewtwo or Gimpy's Bowser, or DJ Nintendo's Bowser haven't won a tournament...yet :).

Low levels - sure tiers aren't important. High levels - you better believe it son!
Meh...

I think ur both wrong. Dj nintendo and gimpy could destroy a top tier character/player because they themselves are good players. But then again look at how many tourneys are won by bowsers and other low/bottom tier characters.

It does matter how good u are wit a certain character and how u play but higher tier characters tend to be able to do the same thing a lower tier character could do with much more ease.

Tiers exist for a reason, but that doesnt mean that a low tier character cannot compete at top lvl.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I think ur both wrong. Dj nintendo and gimpy could destroy a top tier character/player because they themselves are good players. But then again look at how many tourneys are won by bowsers and other low/bottom tier characters.

It does matter how good u are wit a certain character and how u play but higher tier characters tend to be able to do the same thing a lower tier character could do with much more ease.

Tiers exist for a reason, but that doesnt mean that a low tier character cannot compete at top lvl.
Yeah I basically ruled out skill in my post, which I shouldn't have. I think for the most part the low tiers can compete because people don't know the matchups and their weaknesses combined with individual player skill though. Exactly what you said - low tier characters don't win tournys and I don't know if even Mango, Armada, or m2k could do so with Bowser or Mewtwo or any other low tier. The characters inherent disadvantages are too great.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
At high level competitive play with players that are actually good, a low tier character like Bowser should never win. If you see a Bowser player actually win, then clearly that player is both less skilled than the Bowser player and they also aren't very good at all.

For example, look at Genesis Melee Singles. There isn't a single Bowser main in the top 50. Low tier characters obviously aren't as good as high tier chars, but they also have little potential no matter what person plays that character. Even Mango playing Kirby could not beat another top player even if Mango could read that player perfectly.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
At high level competitive play with players that are actually good, a low tier character like Bowser should never win. If you see a Bowser player actually win, then clearly that player is both less skilled than the Bowser player and they also aren't very good at all.

For example, look at Genesis Melee Singles. There isn't a single Bowser main in the top 50. Low tier characters obviously aren't as good as high tier chars, but they also have little potential no matter what person plays that character. Even Mango playing Kirby could not beat another top player even if Mango could read that player perfectly.
Lucky lost to Gimpyfish at one of the socal/norcal tournies at some point (Gimpy's best placing I think). It really comes down to matchup experience, Lucky probably never played a good Bowser in his life (and gimpy probably got yoshi's random, then yoshi's CP or something lol). I'm just saying that flukes do happen between top and low tiers.

And I think if someone could read PERFECTLY with Kirby that Kirby would win. How could he not if he was reacting to everything perfectly?

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I'm talking about reading somebody at a limited, human perspective, not theoretical play where you could read somebody frame-by-frame without reaction delay and have frame perfect DI and such, similar to what you would see in a TAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom