• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
But he doesn't start playing stupidly in certain situations (ie mango when m2k shino stalls for more than 3 seconds)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
HBox has a ridiculous reaction time, unreal patience, an unyielding play-to-win mentality, and so forth. I agree completely with the notion that his playstyle is the result of him honing those personal traits and channeling them through the tools Puff has that compliment them. I do not think most Puffs will have much if any luck emulate his playstyle unless they also have a natural aptitude for it.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I think it's a pretty nasty misconception that mango is just unbridled aggression.

He's actually very patient when he wants to be. He plays a lot gayer than most people think, when he wants to. Look how patient and noncommittal he was versus Armada, and the 0 shield pressure.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Mango was the first player I saw really abuse camping side plats when people are on the ledge. That's like the most frustrating thing to deal with in the game. lol

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Prepare for Mango fans to claim he is the unyielding beacon of heterosexuality.

Nah, Mango himself admits he'll play "gay" when he wants to win. You can't get by in this game on 100% offense, though Mango does an amazing job of mixing up swinging/not-swinging and getting people to do really REALLY stupid things

He's still by far one of the most entertaining to watch IMO

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say Mango played 'gay', especially compared to other players. I think he just cut out some of the flashy stuff that put him in bad positions. Like shield pressure, it can be good, and can beat peaches. Although I think Peach hits harder (on average), but can't get as many openings. Shield pressure makes it a kind of rps where the winner gets an opening, so naturally he put himself at a disadvantage opting to pressure Armada's shield. He just played the match straightforward.

Then again, there aren't many scenarios I call 'gay'. Usually I think the term is used to complain when something you didn't like happen. That makes the term sound pretty homophobic, doesn't it.

Either way, Mango is the crowd favorite, so I doubt I'll hear about how 'gay' he played.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mango's gayness is mostly how his style with Falco was super anti-metagame for a while and basically had an answer to everything that conventional anti-Falco gameplay employed. Also his full jump. His Fox expanded on this and gave this super ridiculous reaction time player a character with nearly unlimited positional options and variable movement. But he dislikes grabbing.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Proper way to make a tier list:

1. Hold a forum requesting votes for a tier list submission.

2. Extract all 'theory bros' from said list, and fill a bucket with the 'theory bros'. The minimum amount of of theory used should be between 40.0mg and 65.0mg. This is roughly the amount of theory to draw the attention of KirbyKaze(the universal theory concentraion indicatior) twenty times. If more than 65.0mg of theory are obtained, then regurgitated information must have been compiled, this merits a return to step one.

3. Compress (dry) theory to approximately 30.0 cm^2 (approx. 10% of original volume). This will collapse most filler into Spolier tags, which needs to be sorted out.

4. Prepare several funnels with filter paper, placed atop flasks fitted with a vacuum. Wet the theory with approx. one half liter of distilled water. Separate the resulting paste into samples with a base size slightly smaller than the filter paper, and gently apply the vacuum, pulling the theory from the spoiler tags (containing filler).

5. Properly discard the filler, likely in a low tier character's thread. Combine the samples of theory, mixed in with water. Place the samples in test tubes, which are then to be placed into a properly balanced centrifuge, set at low for 10.0 minutes. Remove the access water, and combine the resulting samples.

6. Take the newly formed participate and set it in a beaker, and boil out any remaining imperfections. Run a spectroscopy on the resultant sample.

7. The spectroscopy will indicate high amounts of strong bonds to coordinate with a character if they are viable. Each character is represented by their respective elements, which should be apparent in the spectroscopy, (For example a Cobalt ring would be indicative of a space animal, should the Cobalt be primarily bonded with very stable bonds, then the character is strong relative to its competition).

The Hooded Informant

Banned via Warnings
No, a MUCH simpler way would be just making ONE F***ING TIER LIST A YEAR!
It would be MUCH easier, and MUCH LESS of a hassle.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
No, a MUCH simpler way would be just making ONE F***ING TIER LIST A YEAR!
It would be MUCH easier, and MUCH LESS of a hassle.
Says the guy who has had an account for less than 5 months and has no understanding of how complex character matchups are because of different play styles which affect tier ranking. And even the 10 best players in the world probably can't come to an agreement on the top 5 characters being ordered properly.

So making an accurate tier list based off of a few opinions is still nearly impossible. Therefore no, shut up about making a new tier list every year because it is a ********ton harder than you think to come to a consensus.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Says the guy who has had an account for less than 5 months and has no understanding of how complex character matchups are because of different play styles which affect tier ranking. And even the 10 best players in the world probably can't come to an agreement on the top 5 characters being ordered properly.

So making an accurate tier list based off of a few opinions is still nearly impossible. Therefore no, shut up about making a new tier list every year because it is a ********ton harder than you think to come to a consensus.
He's an alt account trolling. Ignore him.

V

Smash Ace
So it seems like everybody is pretty unanimous on who the top 8 characters are, but if you had to rank them in order of easiest to win with to hardest to win with, how would you rank them?

Mine would be:

Sheik
Falco
Fox
Puff
Falcon
Peach
Marth
ICs

This is just my opinion so please don't flame me.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Peach isn't that hard to win with ;)
And I don't think this list makes that much sense... "esaiest to win with" really depends on what level of play we're talking about, and can't really be separated from that in the way the actual tier list can be (where the distinction "at the highest currently imaginable level of play"). Easiest to win with probably starts with Marth and at some point becomes "Falco" (or Fox), because they simply are the best characters, and if everybody is super good, that becomes important (:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I'd say Sheik rises to the top of that list, once the player reaches the skill where he has the basic ATs down. Before that I think Marth's fsmash is the most deadly weapon in their metagame... For Sheik to be good you kinda need to abuse her super obvious bread and butter combos and stuff ...

and then she stays there for a long range of playerskill (:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I assume V meant at high level. Not Marth fsmash spamming level. Playing top level Marth is not easy.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
marth fsmash is one of the easiest moves in the game to bait

it can be punished by pretty much every character if you just shield it, and wavedash in

one of the stronger strategies against marth is to run up and shield, and punish a poorly spaced move

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Fore real. Fsmash is not a go to neutral move. It`s only real use is as a punish at tipper range. Which won`t happen if you have solid spacing in the match up.

I like reading people discuss makes a character easy or hard to play/win with but don't feel I have the knowledge of the cast to state one. I think both Marth and Peach are easy at new player level but hard to play with at high level. Dumb marth's don't do well anymore. It's not 2004.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Maybe it's because I'm naive. But I really don't like "which character is easiest to win with" discussions, cause I think they're all pretty difficult to win with/require different amounts of skill that you can't just lump into one category of "skill."

Bones0

Smash Legend
Maybe it's because I'm naive. But I really don't like "which character is easiest to win with" discussions, cause I think they're all pretty difficult to win with/require different amounts of skill that you can't just lump into one category of "skill."
I couldn't have articulated a better explanation for why this discussion was worthless. No, not even worthless. It was actually detrimental to anyone actually interested in improving or even just enjoying the game in a general sense.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
What's "easiest to win with" for one person is different ot another. I know that's cliche, but it's true. Mango hardly ever changes from spacies because they're easiest to win with for him, armada peach, Hbox jiggs and so on. Once you get to a high level, it'll be easier to win with spacies than Sheik or Marth, but some players playstyles tends to be better suited for the latter 2. It really just comes down to what your playstyle lends you to

Top Bottom