• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Luigi Video and Critique Thread

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
All stuff from like, November. I'll probably edit with my RoS vids later, assuming I have any:

Singles:

vs. Fuddo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEfPBdOlPs
vs. Stroumbert (I only go Luigi one match, got whooped, then tried Marth :( ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nKGBu3jhc&feature=related

Doubles:

vs. Darkshadow and Sauc3 www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dKzxPHHlw
LF vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lmy915SDiA
WF vs. Ally and Holy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9dCGZwtSo
GF vs. Ally and Holy www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WrHluWzxc

Luigisama

Smash Champion
stroumbert one was so one sided. I'll probably watch the other ones tomorrow and yay doubles videos with Luigi.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
All stuff from like, November. I'll probably edit with my RoS vids later, assuming I have any:

Singles:

vs. Fuddo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEfPBdOlPs
vs. Stroumbert (I only go Luigi one match, got whooped, then tried Marth :( ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nKGBu3jhc&feature=related

Doubles:

vs. Darkshadow and Sauc3 www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dKzxPHHlw
LF vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lmy915SDiA
WF vs. Ally and Holy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9dCGZwtSo
GF vs. Ally and Holy www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WrHluWzxc
You could've ***** that Falcon. Falcon is so easy. You can beat out or trade with pretty much anything he has and since you're Luigi, the trades are more than worth it.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Hello Luigis, i was hoping to get some critiques on my luigi from you guys.
This set was played last weekend at a smashfest, it was a Bo5 for a round robin with the people who attended the fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216PbQKbZgk&feature=g-all-u&context=G2c88881FAAAAAAAAKAA
If there is anything i'm not doing right/that i could do better based on this set, please tell me so.
Thanks in advance for any critiques.
I think you played really good. I think Cyclone onto the stage is a something you should use when you have trouble getting off the ledge onto the stage. At some points during your set TL had you at the edge and you were eating arrows trying to get back on the stage.

I didn't see you use Jab to ftilt, dsmash, or grab. They are pretty useful especially against a character like Toon link. You want to get a lot of damage onto your opponent so you can give them a reason to approach.

Other than that you did really good.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
Thanks for the compliment, i personally hate being on the edge with luigi, so i'm really going to try Cyclone from there.

About the Jab thing, i usually try to Dtilt/upB from it, but if the opponent can shield it, i will switch up to grab, and if they are out of range for those moves, i will try Ftilt(like i did around 1:20).
To be honest, i kinda tried to learn the old chart where the frame advantage of Jab 1 was listed on and which followups are posseble from that, so i just know before a game which setups i'll try from jab vs the character.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look, i got another smashfest upcoming weekend, and i'll try to get some vids of other MU's aswell then.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Thanks for the compliment, i personally hate being on the edge with luigi, so i'm really going to try Cyclone from there.

About the Jab thing, i usually try to Dtilt/upB from it, but if the opponent can shield it, i will switch up to grab, and if they are out of range for those moves, i will try Ftilt(like i did around 1:20).
To be honest, i kinda tried to learn the old chart where the frame advantage of Jab 1 was listed on and which followups are posseble from that, so i just know before a game which setups i'll try from jab vs the character.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look, i got another smashfest upcoming weekend, and i'll try to get some vids of other MU's aswell then.
Cool. I can't wait to see some more.

yoshq

Smash Master
This set was played last weekend at a smashfest, it was a Bo5 for a round robin with the people who attended the fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216PbQKbZgk&feature=g-all-u&context=G2c88881FAAAAAAAAKAA
If there is anything i'm not doing right/that i could do better based on this set, please tell me so.
Be more random - a little less of the same stuff. Don't always be approaching - go backwards or a random direction sometimes too. Good job scaring your opponent. Get better at following people coming down out of the air. Focus more on where they will go than getting a move out. Be more patient. Great edge game. More random nado approaches. Good job surviving at high percents.

RiverDB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiVerDB
That, was really to the point, but that for sure is usefull.
I personally had the feeling i was using cyclone a bit to much, but i guess a little more isn't bad, and thanks for the compliments, it's always good for ones morale to hear what they're doing good aswell. :)

The set of last weekend might not be uploaded, but i have a tourney the upcoming weekend, so i'll do my best and hopefully get some new replays.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I have some videos I'll upload soon that I can hopefully get critiqued. I didn't play my best but hey, a vid of you losing can get you helped more, right? When I upload them the quality will be horrendous, but bare with it. ;-;

By didn't play my best I didn't mean I purposely didn't play my best, I meant I didn't really play too well.

yoshq

Smash Master
I have some videos I'll upload soon that I can hopefully get critiqued. I didn't play my best but hey, a vid of you losing can get you helped more, right? When I upload them the quality will be horrendous, but bare with it. ;-;

By didn't play my best I didn't mean I purposely didn't play my best, I meant I didn't really play too well.
Yes, exactly right. Videos of you losing are better than winning and not making any mistakes to learn from.

TreK

Is "that guy"
nope. Seeing you struggle is clearly our community's little Tuesday pleasure.

If we only see you winning, we will not be able to help you at the situations that need help : the ones that get you into trouble. Winning videos = good for combo videos. Losing videos = good for critique.

CRODD

Smash Apprentice
There were a few times during your matches where you missed the up b. Try doing a fastfall airdodge while buffering a jab then to up b instead of just airdoging to up b. You have a lot better chance of hitting it on characters like tl.

:phone:

TreK

Is "that guy"
What YoshQ said (y)

Random **** about this matchup :
You can wavebounce nados, it pisses off ICs a lot. Maybe not vinnie's cause he's good, but hey who knows.
Fireballs at IC's short hop level may stop blizzard abuse.
SV is awful. I'd rather have them upair spam me on BF than have them camp me on SV, for some reason.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
What YoshQ said (y)

Random **** about this matchup :
You can wavebounce nados, it pisses off ICs a lot. Maybe not vinnie's cause he's good, but hey who knows.
Fireballs at IC's short hop level may stop blizzard abuse.
SV is awful. I'd rather have them upair spam me on BF than have them camp me on SV, for some reason.
yeah I agree on the sv part. Next time I'll strike. Also he actually didn't blizzard a lot until the 2nd match on ps1. Thanks for the info guys.

BSP

Smash Legend
If your opponent tries to jump away, uair is pretty much guaranteed; if they air dodge, go for a regrab, or charge a Usmash and hit them out of it.

I've found that lighter characters have a really difficult time avoiding a dthrow to buffered Uair unless they airdodge immediately.

http://www.2shared.com/file/h6DHJWUi/rp_120318_2119.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/3ixm3IPT/rp_120318_2120.html
You have to run these replays with the no tripping code.

Two friendlies against my crewmember Nin'. We were both a bit tired and it was friendlies so don't take them too seriously, but I'd still want feedback.
Can you tell me what characters these matches are against?

Updated.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZYk4UWaq8&feature=g-u-u
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSfYjJNJgXw&feature=plcp
Any help?
also yoshq was at this tournament and he gave me some advice, like how i should stray away from using the down-b so much to recover and use it only if i have to
For the 1st video.

Overall imo you did really good. I think a lot better than I would have done(I wouldn't be surprised if you are better than me especially since this is against Lain)

1:46 I don't know if you were baiting with cyclone or not, but if you were you should have jumped so that you would have avoided the bair and countered with an 11% dair. Don't forget that you have a jump.

2:05 there was no point in airdodge into him. You still had a jump so you could have jumped away from his attack.

in the second match

3:02 you should have followed up with regular upsmash. Most of the time if the mk doesn't DI it right it will hit.

once you took his 1st stock. You should have played defensive by throwing fireballs predicting where he would go and Also I've noticed you don't use upsmash out of shield. Learn that so you can play a defensive game and keep you opponent from attacking your shield.

4:00 I think you should have gone for the ol drop ledge jump fireball onto stage jab to up b. It might have worked and given you a strong 3 stock lead.

4:18 after you power shielded that Nair you should have gone for out of shield up b.
who knows what effect that would have had on the match.

4:27 another missed up b.

2nd video

00:28 missed an up b. that would have put you in the lead. Even though you managed to not get hit for taking the 3rd stock. Nice job.

1:35 should have been Up b

I'm noticing that you're running into a lot of moves. Think about your next move or approach before you do it. There was no point into going into that charged Dsmash at 3:25

4:22 missed Up b punish.

05:54 missed an Up b punish

I think you should have won this one against Bean. You tend to spotdodge after you get hit on shield. Break that habit and choose a better decision like jump dair or just jump away to avoid attacks from your opponent.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
thanks for your help, i do know how to up smash oos, i just rarely use it, also with the rolling into attacks, you should have seen me do friendlies against ally, holy crap, every time i just rolled in and got wrecked, but i have gotten better know and i know (mostly) when it is safer to roll in or not
also i still dont know all of the characters i have a guaranteed jab up b on
over the past couple of days though i have been reading all of the matchup threads and noting down things that i need to know, like combos that work and stages to avoid because, well in the second video, i had no idea that DK was good on yoshis island
also with the mk match up, none of my friends main him so i dont really get much practice against him, and thats the same for a lot of match ups, i just need more experience
with the up-b when i first started to use luigi i kind of spammed the up b and was punished way to often for it, now it dont use it as much, ive been trying to break the habit but it hasnt gone well yet
anyway, thanks for the advice, ill work on what you said and get better

oh also, im guessing you probably noticed but i tend to be really inconsistent, thats one of the things i need to work on

Luigisama

Smash Champion
thanks for your help, i do know how to up smash oos, i just rarely use it, also with the rolling into attacks, you should have seen me do friendlies against ally, holy crap, every time i just rolled in and got wrecked, but i have gotten better know and i know (mostly) when it is safer to roll in or not
also i still dont know all of the characters i have a guaranteed jab up b on
over the past couple of days though i have been reading all of the matchup threads and noting down things that i need to know, like combos that work and stages to avoid because, well in the second video, i had no idea that DK was good on yoshis island
also with the mk match up, none of my friends main him so i dont really get much practice against him, and thats the same for a lot of match ups, i just need more experience
with the up-b when i first started to use luigi i kind of spammed the up b and was punished way to often for it, now it dont use it as much, ive been trying to break the habit but it hasnt gone well yet
anyway, thanks for the advice, ill work on what you said and get better

oh also, im guessing you probably noticed but i tend to be really inconsistent, thats one of the things i need to work on
no problem dude. I hope to see you become better and probably surpass Yoshq in your region.

yoshq

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZYk4UWaq8&feature=g-u-u
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSfYjJNJgXw&feature=plcp
Any help?
also yoshq was at this tournament and he gave me some advice, like how i should stray away from using the down-b so much to recover and use it only if i have to
good use of rising nado and fireballs
good use of ftilt
learn to use jab different ways like at 2:35 first vid
learn to di more diagonally up like against mk fsmash and shuffle loop, it killed you all 3 lives in second game of this vid

overall I can tell you're very good... I'd be scared if I had to fight your luigi in tourney and you can tell Lain was. Your randomness playstyle will get you far.

second vid
use jab differently
punish air dodges with upbs
come to think of it any use of upb would help. you air dodge into the ground a good deal.. try using it there some. you roll into opponents too, use it there.
do something besides dnair when opponent come back from fresh stock.
1:37 perfect upb opportunity, instead of grab. a lot of places where you're punishing with dsmash or upsmash, you can actually get the kill and at half the percent if you use upb instead.

Man we didn't even get to play right? I just had to do that money match cuz I had promised him beforehand or whatever but if you woulda come back I woulda been glad to help you out for awhile. Sorry about that.
and probably surpass Yoshq in your region.
Uh yeah, **** THAT. lmao

me9595

Smash Apprentice
good use of rising nado and fireballs
good use of ftilt
learn to use jab different ways like at 2:35 first vid
learn to di more diagonally up like against mk fsmash and shuffle loop, it killed you all 3 lives in second game of this vid

overall I can tell you're very good... I'd be scared if I had to fight your luigi in tourney and you can tell Lain was. Your randomness playstyle will get you far.

second vid
use jab differently
punish air dodges with upbs
come to think of it any use of upb would help. you air dodge into the ground a good deal.. try using it there some. you roll into opponents too, use it there.
do something besides dnair when opponent come back from fresh stock.
1:37 perfect upb opportunity, instead of grab. a lot of places where you're punishing with dsmash or upsmash, you can actually get the kill and at half the percent if you use upb instead.

Man we didn't even get to play right? I just had to do that money match cuz I had promised him beforehand or whatever but if you woulda come back I woulda been glad to help you out for awhile. Sorry about that.

Uh yeah, **** THAT. lmao
thanks for the help, with the up b, i have to get used to using it again because of how i misused it when i started playing luigi
and as for your money match dont sweat it, i wanted to watch some of the sets that were going on the live stream after you were helping me for a bit, but if your ever in the area for another tourney in the near future i would love to play you. I dont know if tech chase has announced when PS5 is going to be yet, but if you can come, ill see you there

yoshq

Smash Master
idk man you lost to Yoshi. :troll:
Maaaan what eva. So at this tournament, whatever yoshi was there... I walked up and he was talkin to meek and some other dude. I was like blah blah blah, conversation. Then I was like, so do you wanna money match? He's like uhh, who do you play, blah blah blah. He asked his friend who had played me if I Was good, he said whatever, yahta yahta. Then eventually he's like nah man maybe some other time. And as he was walking away I was like, "Ohh, I see. So you yoshi mains are ****ies, huh?" He turned around and was like alright, let's go. He wanted to do 1 match, 3 stock, sv, for $5. Took his money. His friend was like, I wanna play this Luigi. He sat down and picked Sonic (lol), 3 stock, 1 match, $5. Took his money too. Walked away a champion.

Also I was playing like **** in those crew battles son.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
Maaaan what eva. So at this tournament, whatever yoshi was there... I walked up and he was talkin to meek and some other dude. I was like blah blah blah, conversation. Then I was like, so do you wanna money match? He's like uhh, who do you play, blah blah blah. He asked meek if I Was good, he said whatever, yahta yahta. Then eventually he's like nah man maybe some other time. And as he was walking away I was like, "Ohh, I see. So you yoshi mains are ****ies, huh?" He turned around and was like alright, let's go. He wanted to do 1 match, 3 stock, sv, for $5. Took his money. Meek was like, I wanna play this Luigi. He sat down, 3 stock, 1 match, $5. Took his money too. Walked away a champion.

Also I was playing like **** in those crew battles son.
lolwut we never money matched. The only person I MM'd that whole tourney was Clowsui. Although there was some other Sonic guy there, Cookicrubz. Him and the Yoshi (burnteggz) spent lots of time together @ the tourney, I think they travelled together. You might've played him? (Although I personally think you'd beat me in a MM anyways.)

yoshq

Smash Master
lolwut we never money matched. The only person I MM'd that whole tourney was Clowsui. Although there was some other Sonic guy there, Cookicrubz. Him and the Yoshi (burnteggz) spent lots of time together @ the tourney, I think they travelled together. You might've played him? (Although I personally think you'd beat me in a MM anyways.)
Ooh haha my bad. Idk, it would be hella close man.

Top Bottom