• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hue

Smash Cadet
I can't recall ever seeing Zair being deflected by an attack, it's possible though. I think it ignores other attacks unless they actually hit Link.

Guardian Aelita

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Now I know which one of my main boys to pick. However, I don't understand this. Which one would win out of these??? :confused:

:sonic:

VS

:link2:

:marth:

VS

VS

A little help please? One last one!

:pit:

VS

sasook

Smash Champion
Zair does clank with some moves, though I don't know any offhand. It does, though.

Sonic vs. Link - I think the Sonic boards have a matchup done, could be mistaken.

Marth vs. Link - Marth boards have a matchup done, I'm positive, but I'm just gonna say right now it's in Marth's favor.

Link vs. Link - this is a matchup of 70:30, Link's favor.

Link vs. Pit - no idea, I never found Pit impossible, roughly equal. You win on stage if you play smart, he wins offstage, obviously.

Supiddo

Smash Apprentice
Sonic vs. Link - I think that in the end Link would be victoriouse. Yea Sonic is a speedy character, but Link has projectiles on his side that are good for camping

Marth vs. Link - As much as I want to say Link on this one, I'd have to go with Marth. He's also speedy and has that "edge" of his.

Link vs. Link - This is the hardest one yet. I have no clue. But.....I'd have to go with Link on this one.

Link vs. Pit - I'd say it be a pretty even match. Link has projectiles and Pit can easily counter/avoid them. But in the end, Link would come out victouriouse

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
This isn't really a big question but... what do you guys do after you are grabbed and thrown?

~Saint~

Supiddo

Smash Apprentice
I usually throw a boomerang diagonally towards the opponent. Because about 90% of the time, he threw you in order to set up a combo. Or if Im out of my boomerangs range, Ill take a bomb and chuck it towards him for the same reasons stated above. If thrown upwards though, I'll just dodge on instinct just in case my opponent tried to combo me.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Zair does clank with some moves, though I don't know any offhand. It does, though.

Sonic vs. Link - I think the Sonic boards have a matchup done, could be mistaken.

Marth vs. Link - Marth boards have a matchup done, I'm positive, but I'm just gonna say right now it's in Marth's favor.

Link vs. Link - this is a matchup of 70:30, Link's favor.

Link vs. Pit - no idea, I never found Pit impossible, roughly equal. You win on stage if you play smart, he wins offstage, obviously.
Marth is at least 60:40 over Link for obvious reasons.

Pit is at least 60:40 over Link for obvious reasons.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Thanks. Now I know which one of my main boys to pick. However, I don't understand this. Which one would win out of these??? :confused:

:sonic:VS:link2:

:marth:VS:link2:

:link2:VS:link2:

A little help please? One last one!

:pit:VS:link2:
1) 65:45 Sonic. Have you ever been edgeguarded by a proficient Sonic player? How about the weird spin cancel to UpB to autocancelled dair to whatever they want? How about outmaneuvered when trying to throw projectiles at the speeding bullet? No, I thought not. You're screwed, trust me.
2) 60:40 Marth. Marth has just a tad more range than Link, which is helped along by his massive tippered attacks. Maybe 55:45 if the Link is really good at predicting moves and punishing with zair.
3)Sasook is clearly right, 70:30 is a great number for this matchup. :p
4) 55:45 Pit. Marsulas, almost anything Link has can outprioritize Pit's bow, forcing him to approach you. Nair, fair, zair, bombs, and tilts, all outprioritize the bow, making it rather easy to approach a spammy Pit. Other attacks like our own bow, our boomerang, and jabs all have equal priority with the bow. In melee combat however Pit outprioritizes Link as well as having greater speed in attacks (Pit's jab=Link's Upsmash :ohwell:)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Marth is at least 60:40 over Link for obvious reasons.

Pit is at least 60:40 over Link for obvious reasons.
1) 65:45 Sonic. Have you ever been edgeguarded by a proficient Sonic player? How about the weird spin cancel to UpB to autocancelled dair to whatever they want? How about outmaneuvered when trying to throw projectiles at the speeding bullet? No, I thought not. You're screwed, trust me.
2) 60:40 Marth. Marth has just a tad more range than Link, which is helped along by his massive tippered attacks. Maybe 55:45 if the Link is really good at predicting moves and punishing with zair.
3)Sasook is clearly right, 70:30 is a great number for this matchup. :p
4) 55:45 Pit. Marsulas, almost anything Link has can outprioritize Pit's bow, forcing him to approach you. Nair, fair, zair, bombs, and tilts, all outprioritize the bow, making it rather easy to approach a spammy Pit. Other attacks like our own bow, our boomerang, and jabs all have equal priority with the bow. In melee combat however Pit outprioritizes Link as well as having greater speed in attacks (Pit's jab=Link's Upsmash :ohwell:)
1. I agree with this

2. You can't ever say "if the Link is good" into matchup discussions. Player skill has nothing to do with matchup ratios because you are talking about the matchup in the context of it being at the highest level of play. Dancing blade OoS, up b OoS, dtilt, fair, fsmash....all of those moves Link has pretty much no answer for whatsoever.

3. So your putting the matchup ratio close to even because you have moves that outprioritize the bow? I don't see why that forces him to approach...even if it does it's not like it puts him into a bad situation. Like you said, once he's up close he has plenty of options that outprioritize and outspeed almost all of yours. If you go offstage, your in a lot of trouble. He can mirror shield Links up b ridiculously easy and his multiple jumps give him the ability to hit you with 3 or 4 fairs offstage. It's at least 60:40 Pit easily.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
1. I agree with this

2. You can't ever say "if the Link is good" into matchup discussions. Player skill has nothing to do with matchup ratios because you are talking about the matchup in the context of it being at the highest level of play. Dancing blade OoS, up b OoS, dtilt, fair, fsmash....all of those moves Link has pretty much no answer for whatsoever.

3. So your putting the matchup ratio close to even because you have moves that outprioritize the bow? I don't see why that forces him to approach...even if it does it's not like it puts him into a bad situation. Like you said, once he's up close he has plenty of options that outprioritize and outspeed almost all of yours. If you go offstage, your in a lot of trouble. He can mirror shield Links up b ridiculously easy and his multiple jumps give him the ability to hit you with 3 or 4 fairs offstage. It's at least 60:40 Pit easily.
On 2 yes that was stupid of me to say "if the link is good." shouldn't have even posted that. I partially agree with you overall but I think Link has better chances than "no answer for whatsoever" to most of Marth's moves.

And on 3 once I agree with you based on the fact that all matchups for Link should be at least 60:40 disadvantage as a base point. Link can force Pit to approach because he has projectiles that move at awkward angles that Pit has difficulty countering. At long range, where Link would normally be disadvantaged, he can cancel out any of Pit's own projectiles as he moves into a better position to counter Pit. This is where Link's projectiles come in, because the natural arc of the moves forces Pit to get out of the way or reflect them if Link FH's them. The real disadvantage here for Link (aside from gimping, but we take that for granted) is that approaching Pit ourselves is dangerous. Zair does alright except that Pit can dodge around it and punish Link (unlike poor CF as proven by Izaw). Pit can really punish our approaches, but honestly and suprisingly I think Link has Pit beat- very slightly- at midrange.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
On 2 yes that was stupid of me to say "if the link is good." shouldn't have even posted that. I partially agree with you overall but I think Link has better chances than "no answer for whatsoever" to most of Marth's moves.

And on 3 once I agree with you based on the fact that all matchups for Link should be at least 60:40 disadvantage as a base point. Link can force Pit to approach because he has projectiles that move at awkward angles that Pit has difficulty countering. At long range, where Link would normally be disadvantaged, he can cancel out any of Pit's own projectiles as he moves into a better position to counter Pit. This is where Link's projectiles come in, because the natural arc of the moves forces Pit to get out of the way or reflect them if Link FH's them. The real disadvantage here for Link (aside from gimping, but we take that for granted) is that approaching Pit ourselves is dangerous. Zair does alright except that Pit can dodge around it and punish Link (unlike poor CF as proven by Izaw). Pit can really punish our approaches, but honestly and suprisingly I think Link has Pit beat- very slightly- at midrange.
It's allright man, most characters in the game have no answer for Dancing Blade, dtilt, and fair.....they're that good.

I could see where your coming from on the Pit match....that's why it's not a **** matchup. It's certainly not unwinnable but it's still a Link disadvantage.

D

Deleted member

It's allright man, most characters in the game have no answer for Dancing Blade, dtilt, and fair.....they're that good..
DI, spot dodge, upsmash oos

you really shouldn't lose to pit or sonic, i've played Ky_Des and affinity said something about him being the best pit in the US, his pit really didnt have anything on me. Sonic is just bad in general, you can out spam him and out space him. Marth is a ***** because all of his attacks eat your bombs but the zair and **** combos absolutely wreck marth.

all those matchups imo are 50:50

-Mars-

Smash Hero

you really shouldn't lose to pit or sonic, i've played Ky_Des and affinity said something about him being the best pit in the US, his pit really didnt have anything on me. Sonic is just bad in general, you can out spam him and out space him. Marth is a ***** because all of his attacks eat your bombs but the zair and **** combos absolutely wreck marth.

Dancing Blade as an OoS punishment option is unpunishable.

This means you are a better overall player.....nothing more.

Those matchups 50:50? No way in hell. You act like Sonic and Marth don't know how to deal with projectiles, those two characters are always approaching.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is just too dam fast!...I played a PRO sonic player and i dodged bout 40% of his combos...but it was like a never ending stream...i even spammed arrows and boomerang...i held him off for a while and got in some good smashes...and a few combos but **** that battle was intense...sonic must have more like 70:30 over link...

EDIT: My bad sasook i take evrything too far...thats why i hate 3 minute matches...try in smash me for a ****in hour!

D

Deleted member

Those matchups 50:50? No way in hell. You act like Sonic and Marth don't know how to deal with projectiles, those two characters are always approaching.
yea, and they're always eating my zair

you obviously don't know link's defensive game

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Spam Sonic? His speed and spin shot won't let that happen. I don't see Link having an advantage in this match up.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Sonic is just too dam fast!...I played a PRO sonic player and i dodged bout 40% of his combos...but it was like a never ending stream...i even spammed arrows and boomerang...i held him off for a while and got in some good smashes...and a few combos but **** that battle was intense...sonic must have more like 70:30 over link...

EDIT: My bad sasook i take evrything too far...thats why i hate 3 minute matches...try in smash me for a ****in hour!
Sonic's fast, but you can anticipate his moves and counter them. Mid-range is where you want to be in this matchup to utilize zair and your projectiles. SHAD and spot dodging will help as well to avoid Sonic's attacks. Let Sonic come to you. Play by his speed, and counter.

EDIT- As for Pit, I've played enough of Pit players (the good ones and the noob spamming-arrow-angel-ringing ones as well) to know it to be a disadvantage. However, semi-approaching at mid-range with a bomb will help esp. against a spammy Pit. At the right distance, you can time Pit's arrow shot with a bomb throw and as the arrow cancels out, and space accordingly. Mixing the timing between zair and air-dodge to delayed zairs work as well.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The heavy discussion on the Sonic boards (which included Link mains) lead the match-up to be 60:40 Sonic's favor.

Guardian Aelita

Smash Rookie
Oh, boy. My simple question unlocked an arguement.
Takuya: I have a question!!
Koji: ...
Nanako: ...
Aelita: Well?
Takuya: What's the square root of pie?
Kaizu: It has to be a question that has to do with matchups!! *thinks* Idiot.
Takuya: Oh, well, who'd win this matchup??

:toonlink:

VS

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The match-up is 60:40 TL simply for the fact that he has better projectiles and a better air-game.

Link still owns him though because it's freaking Link!

D

Deleted member

i'll have to get back to you on the tl vs link match up but i'll say this, if you ever die by both hits of the fsmash you suck at this game.

when the first fsmash connects tap up and jump, you'll always get out of it this way

now you just have to worry about the usmash oos T_T

Legan

Smash Lord

Lol you're so off on this arkive D:

Link vs pit highly in pits favor if he wants to win. All he has to do is keep in the air and spam arrows awhile occasionally gliding him to damage you. Zair spacing and bombs are alright except the fact that he has that ******** reflecter shield and alot of priority.

Link vs Sonic is equally dumb, has easier killing potential but you really have to work to land hits on sonic. Good sonics are constantly moving and almost all of his attacks eat the Gale. Hitting him with bombs can be frustrating because of his immense speed. Sonics speed combined with his ability to run & powershield make him a pretty tough matchup.

Link vs Marth is still well in Marths favor. Powersheilded zairs, dash dancing, dancing blade are all a part of a good marths arsenal. Out running marth is not half as easy as it seems. Marth has great priority and his running neutral airs are pure ****. His ability to gimp link is also unmatched along with his great killing ability.

These are not impossible matchups or even the hardest but they are definately nowhere near even for link.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

I smell sarcasm.
I think 55:45 for sonic (speed, but has problems getting into Link's range at times, still his slight advantage though)
70:30 for Marth (with fast frames like 4 for DB, and the answers to just about everything (even zair, which is prolly counter or just a more retreating fair).
60:40 Pit, he has good close range game, has good edgeguard capabilities (which is not good for Link), and has reliable kill moves.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Uh yeah, question about the DAC. Can you get it to go farther/shorter on a whim? I know it has to do something the timing.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol you're so off on this arkive D:

Link vs pit highly in pits favor if he wants to win. All he has to do is keep in the air and spam arrows awhile occasionally gliding him to damage you. Zair spacing and bombs are alright except the fact that he has that ******** reflecter shield and alot of priority.

Link vs Sonic is equally dumb, has easier killing potential but you really have to work to land hits on sonic. Good sonics are constantly moving and almost all of his attacks eat the Gale. Hitting him with bombs can be frustrating because of his immense speed. Sonics speed combined with his ability to run & powershield make him a pretty tough matchup.

Link vs Marth is still well in Marths favor. Powersheilded zairs, dash dancing, dancing blade are all a part of a good marths arsenal. Out running marth is not half as easy as it seems. Marth has great priority and his running neutral airs are pure ****. His ability to gimp link is also unmatched along with his great killing ability.

These are not impossible matchups or even the hardest but they are definately nowhere near even for link.
Thank you. I know you guys **** with Link and you and Arkive beat the majority of Marths and Pits that you play.......but on a strictly character vs. character, Marth and Pits tools beat Links.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
@Phiny: Marth vs Link is 60:40 respectively.
I'm actually a bit reluctant to say that. I can see 60:40 being plausible, but on my list, it's like 65:35. Marth has scary edgegames, and he has the kill potential to Link's otherwise hard to move weight. He can deal with projectiles well (maybe not bombs, but other things are definite). More range, the only thing that Marth has in weakness is lack of safe on block kill moves, light weight, and possibly projectiles.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm actually a bit reluctant to say that. I can see 60:40 being plausible, but on my list, it's like 65:35. Marth has scary edgegames, and he has the kill potential to Link's otherwise hard to move weight. He can deal with projectiles well (maybe not bombs, but other things are definite). More range, the only thing that Marth has in weakness is lack of safe on block kill moves, light weight, and possibly projectiles.
The Marth matchup thread has it listed as 60:40. That matchup thread is considered to be the most accurate matchup thread on all of the boards.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Uh yeah, question about the DAC. Can you get it to go farther/shorter on a whim? I know it has to do something the timing.
Short answer is for me is YES

Although i can't necessary perform tmy ideal distance it in a match, in training mode when I am sole concentrated on just DAC. I can make him go different distances.

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY

There has been a research thread created. in the tactical and general discussion areas.

THEY ARE LOOKING FOR RESEARCHERS. GO THERE AND SIGN UP IF YOU WANT TO BE ONE.

Once they find researches, I will be asking about DAC frame data there since I could not find it anywhere before.

Thus I will better be able to answer this question and other questions regarding DAC.

I will put the information in the 1st post and create an announcement sections for things like this.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if there is any definitive answer on this since I'm not sure that anyone has come up with any frame data to back it up, but from the post that I've seen most people seem to think that the quicker you get the DAC off the farther you go.

In my experience though, the slower I make the input the farther it takes me. If I hurry it up I usually just go a short distance.

QUESTION: I can't find that vid that had like 1001 jab lock setups, can anyone give me a link?

Edit: lol...just saw swordplay's post, hopefully we get that DAC data.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys deal with ZSS's armor? Do you try to grab them or dodge or what?
I make myself hard to hit. I spam projectiles and keep on the move by SHing and FFing. When she does get a good throw at me I sidestep it.

~Saint~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom