• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Actually the first part is right. As long as you start the aerial while you are floating, if you release your float and land you will have no landing lag (besides the normal 4 frames there always is when empty landing)

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Wow... That's pretty good. Welcome to 2005 I guess. But there's 4 frames? Okay. I didn't actually know that. Also while I'm here, how many frames of landlag does auto-cancelling an aerial result in?

ckmadison

Smash Rookie
Hi!~ First post.

I was wondering how to improve my ledgegame. I main peach, and I don't get on the ledge with her often (I floatcancel before reaching edge) so my edgegame is really lackluster.

Is there a good read on how to ledgegame? I'm still not sure how to ledgehop nair, etc... as in I'm not sure if you just go down then jump or it's a combination of different buttons.

Thank you in advance...

Bing

Smash Master
Theres many different things you can do... Its sort of character specific. If a spacies is firefox/birding towards the ledge, floatcancel above the ledge and dair to nair.

If there just offstage and coming in slow, offstage nairs is good, or just throw turnips.

If you could be a bit more specific of what your issues are then I could be of more help :p

ckmadison

Smash Rookie
Oh, I meant on any character, when the character is grabbing the edge.

I was hoping to find a guide on actions to take while on the edge. For example, Falcon can ledgeknee... but I have very little idea of how to effectively ledgeknee.

Do I fastfall then quickly jump to Fair, or do I do something else?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
for something like a knee, you would indeed fastfall, jump up, and then do your knee.

for peach, doing things off the ledge is kind of a struggle. i think most peaches end up letting go, double jumping away from the stage, and then try to find a way in from that angle. the way her double jump works in tandem with floating doesn't work for typical ledge things.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah Peach has many more options when shes in the air, so yeah, double jumping away then floating back in is better. I mean, Peach has really good air options, especially in comparrison to her ground game, so yeah.

For some reason Im getting confused.

When the other character is on the ledge(So you're on stage?) I would have to say give space, Odds are they're going to end up back on stage whether you like it or not, now you could always SH Nair(comes out fast, hits hard) Or if you give a bit of room, you can d-smash when they get back up. Peach isnt built to approach, so I'd advise staying calm when they're on the ledge, dont make any rash decisions lol

If you want a solid answer from real Peach mains though, go to the Peach Character Specific boards, And post it in either the Vanz' Thread or Peach General.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Don't fast fall to let go of the ledge. It makes it unnecessarily difficult. It's better to hit back (just tap the direction away from the center of the stage) and then press back to the center and attack. So if you're on the left ledge, you'd quickly input:
1. Left on control stick
2. Right on control stick
3. Press A while still holding right

ckmadison

Smash Rookie
Don't fast fall to let go of the ledge. It makes it unnecessarily difficult. It's better to hit back (just tap the direction away from the center of the stage) and then press back to the center and attack. So if you're on the left ledge, you'd quickly input:
1. Left on control stick
2. Right on control stick
3. Press A while still holding right
This was what I was looking for! A tip to do when on the ledge, not my 'ledgegame' when I defend vs a ledged opponent... I am very sorry for that confusion, Bing!

Thank you for your help, guys. Lurked in this forum for a long time, and love the community... I just never could find anything on a general what to do on the ledge guide!

G

genkaku

what determines if you shorthop or fullhop when using analog stick to jump?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
what determines if you shorthop or fullhop when using analog stick to jump?
This is a mildly uneducated post, so don't take my word for it (but I'm pretty sure it's right).

Normally when using the buttons, the jump is counted a short-hop vs a long-hop depending on when the button is released in relation to the jump animation. If the button is released before the jump animation is complete, it is a short-hop. Otherwise, long-hop. I would assume it would be the same for the analog, the analog would have to leave the "up" position before the end of the character's jump animation to make it a short-hop.

G

genkaku

This is a mildly uneducated post, so don't take my word for it (but I'm pretty sure it's right).

Normally when using the buttons, the jump is counted a short-hop vs a long-hop depending on when the button is released in relation to the jump animation. If the button is released before the jump animation is complete, it is a short-hop. Otherwise, long-hop. I would assume it would be the same for the analog, the analog would have to leave the "up" position before the end of the character's jump animation to make it a short-hop.
wow I feel ********. Dunno what I was thinking.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Random Klaptrap info with pictures

I'm putting this here.

Klaptrap in jungle japes can hit most characters through the floor. Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcjGOfrjb7Q

It is probably too fast to see. So I removed the stage + enhanced Marth's collision hitbox:

The higher than normal % damage also shows that klaptrap connects.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
So for regular di, like survival di, exactly what frames does the input of the control stick matter? Is it the frames you actually get hit, or after that?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
remind me again what fox goes for d-throws on people

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
my initial thought for longest hitbox goes to samus's bomb. not that it's a particularly useful hitbox, but i feel like it sticks around a long time.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Why does the "dashdance motion" DI on Fox's uair work? I know that it works when you miss the DI on the throw but I can't figure out why. What exactly is the second input supposed to do?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I just always tap twice to the right on fox's uair. In theory couldn't you SDI into the second uair hit if fox comes from the left?

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Well hey.

So, this being my first post, this question is probably very vague, and long, as opposed to all the frame data, SDI, etc, questions I see, so I apologize in advance.

You know that feeling you get when you wake up one day, and all of the sudden, the game just kinda clicks for you? You finally get how each character moves, how their attacks work, how the game "flows" and "feels"? It's that sort of feeling you get after just playing for years and years of playing the game casually, it's hard to explain. I hit that point with Smash 64 after playing for years and years, but I haven't with Melee. The obvious problem is probably because I've been playing Melee for only 6 months or so, but still, Melee hasn't quite clicked for me yet.

The question is basically, when should I start to "feel" the game? When or How should it click for me? And is there anything specific or non-specific I can do to start to get the game?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
That feeling does come, but there's no set amount since it's different for everyone. Practice obviously speeds up the process but only playing the game for 6 months doesn't seem like you've played enough. Playing with others would speed it up too but most of us have been playing for years. Maybe not competitively but almost all of us have stayed up late with our friends playing dittos on hyrule I'm sure but at this point I can't remember a time when I couldn't short hop and I can't understand how wavedashing was so hard. It does click, it's a matter of muscle memory and experience.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
That feeling does come, but there's no set amount since it's different for everyone. Practice obviously speeds up the process but only playing the game for 6 months doesn't seem like you've played enough. Playing with others would speed it up too but most of us have been playing for years. Maybe not competitively but almost all of us have stayed up late with our friends playing dittos on hyrule I'm sure but at this point I can't remember a time when I couldn't short hop and I can't understand how wavedashing was so hard. It does click, it's a matter of muscle memory and experience.
I thought so. It was the same for me and 64, I guess I just joined the party way too late. I'll try and find other people to play with and see what happens, even if they are light years ahead of me. >_> :p

Thanks for the help!

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Well hey.

So, this being my first post, this question is probably very vague, and long, as opposed to all the frame data, SDI, etc, questions I see, so I apologize in advance.

You know that feeling you get when you wake up one day, and all of the sudden, the game just kinda clicks for you? You finally get how each character moves, how their attacks work, how the game "flows" and "feels"? It's that sort of feeling you get after just playing for years and years of playing the game casually, it's hard to explain. I hit that point with Smash 64 after playing for years and years, but I haven't with Melee. The obvious problem is probably because I've been playing Melee for only 6 months or so, but still, Melee hasn't quite clicked for me yet.

The question is basically, when should I start to "feel" the game? When or How should it click for me? And is there anything specific or non-specific I can do to start to get the game?
In my experience playing against people much worse than you can help achieve this feeling, I know exactly what you mean. You feel unstoppable, as if no player could even touch you. Just keep playing, that's the only advice I can give.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
play melee on green greens if ya kno what i'm saying.

it'll change your perspective, and things have a habit of falling into place when elevation occurs.

Bing

Smash Master
In my experience playing against people much worse than you can help achieve this feeling, I know exactly what you mean. You feel unstoppable, as if no player could even touch you. Just keep playing, that's the only advice I can give.
I hate getting that feeling of being unstoppable by playing noobs... because then I go to tournaments, get stomped and feel even more crushed lol...

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
play melee on green greens if ya kno what i'm saying.

it'll change your perspective, and things have a habit of falling into place when elevation occurs.
This surprisingly

The first time I was able to wavedash and l cancel almost perfectly was in such a scenario. I had almost no consistent tech skill before and then bam it made sense. Never turned back and now my Ganon is purty slick

:phone:

Top Bottom