• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
I know. I guess I just want a visualization of how far away the blast zones are. I hadn't even noticed that FoD had close horizontal blast lines but far vertical ones until I heard it in some match's commentary.

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
Edit: Darn wrong thread.. Could some mod just delete the post? Sorry for the kerfuffle.

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,
my situation is the following; I play Melee since a few Weeks now, my main is Falco and I just like to know what my next step on the "skill-ladder" would be.

I defeat the Level9Cpu 9/10 and already got hold on some of the techniques i.E. short hop, SHL and Fast fall (the last two aren't perfect yet).

So what do I do now? When I play i often have the Problem that I don't really know what to do. Like which attacks to use when and stuff like that.

Also if there are any good guides I should read, post them!

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
You can learn to L-cancel and wavedash on your own and then find people in your area to play with (there are boards for each region). Once you start playing you can read the stickies on the Falco boards to find new strategies and figure out which attacks to use in which situations.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Watch a bunch of top level Falcos play and try to do what they do. Dr. Peepee, Mango, Zhu, and Forward are all good resources.

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
You can learn to L-cancel and wavedash on your own and then find people in your area to play with (there are boards for each region). Once you start playing you can read the stickies on the Falco boards to find new strategies and figure out which attacks to use in which situations.

What is L-Cancel and wavedash?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
What is L-Cancel and wavedash?
learn everything in the 3 video series by wak
part 1/3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

Playing level 9s constantly is near useless if not hurtful at times. Most people say play lvl 1s or 4s and just practice combos and tech skill on them, I still do play lvl 9s from time to time for fun.

Practice your tech skill in training mode a lot, slow it down if you have to. I'm also in that process, next step after that is playing good humans and getting tips. Also read stuff off your characters board and ask questions there, people will help...and watch videos of pros and even yourself if possible once you can kind more people to play.

Svvagcube

Smash Cadet
learn everything in the 3 video series by wak
part 1/3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

Playing level 9s constantly is near useless if not hurtful at times. Most people say play lvl 1s or 4s and just practice combos and tech skill on them, I still do play lvl 9s from time to time for fun.

Practice your tech skill in training mode a lot, slow it down if you have to. I'm also in that process, next step after that is playing good humans and getting tips. Also read stuff off your characters board and ask questions there, people will help...and watch videos of pros and even yourself if possible once you can kind more people to play.
Thank you very much for sharing that.

The Training Method for Fox's L-Cancel, can I use it on falco too?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Rules against stallin, if they're going off stage to intentionally waste time(planking for example) then yes. Though there is no specific rule, the rule is no stalling and it's up to the TO to decide on how to enforce it.

Also, there's no sudden death anymore, is there? I guess that's my question. I'm pretty sure it goes; match count, stock count, percent and in the event of a percentage tie then rematch of set...or just one match?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
To the ruleset!

Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
Edit:
Someone should totally make a compendium of all smash-related phrases. Organized nicely and such. I know there's some really outdated one that just has stuff like CC and DJ and blah blah blah but pretty much only has a few of the more important ones. I find myself googling some phrases and acronyms because of my outdated smash knowledge

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
A true pivot is a frame when you are in your dash animation where you can do any action. Basically you have to dash 1 way and then slight tilt the other way and press A on the right frame

G

genkaku

I can't find the teams match that ends with a sacred combo eliminating both members of the opposing team. Can't remember who did it either...

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
can sheik foxtrot?

i've been trying, and it's not working :(

if she can't (unless her foxtrot is considered the end of that super laggy animation, which is useles...) is there any other character who has a nonexistent/terribad foxtrot like this?

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
What would you guys say is the easiest way to punish eccessive rolling? I play against a kid who literally rolls constantly (it looks so dumb), but nevertheless I can't find a real bread-and-butter way to punish.

I use Ganon, and normally Ill either wavedash and follow the roll to grab or simply stand in place and grab while he's rolling back and forth, but as I said these aren't working enough for me to really convince him rolling constantly is a bad idea.

:phone:

Bing

Smash Master
If you're maining Ganon Probably Just stomp or fair, stomp would be better because then you can combo a bit with it(Ganon combos). So You can read the roll, Stomp to fair? Or Stomp uair combos. Whatever you get the point.

Bing

Smash Master
By doing this then you are also helping to work on your l-cancels. If he really is a noob, he's not going to punish you that hard if you mess up anyways. Plus 20% or so is still a pretty decent punish and might teach him a thing or two.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
you need to do it really quickly, since you're only executing the initial dash, and sheiks initial dash is rather short (same reason why you need to dashdance quicker with her).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yes, you can do a longer "dashdance" with sheik by foxtrotting. Watch some of m2k's sheik and he does it occasionally.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
People say lvl 1 and 4's only. As what you should train against, it's only combo practice so pick whatever is most used in your area. Fox and Falco are obviously big ones, if you have trouble vs. link you can do him. Everyone really.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
Should I l cancel all the time? Or only at specific times? I want to try and get tournament worthy, and I am not sure on what skills I need to learn and use in my playing.

Top Bottom